Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

    Disappointing Dinan Dyno

    Say that three times fast...

    Picture says it all. Advertised a 24% gain in hp, experienced 12%. Advertised a 27% gain in tq, experienced 23%.

    Same dyno, same day, same gas. Only 2hp between the last 2 pulls, so learning seemed to be complete.

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,279
    Rep Points
    460.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    what kind of car?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    its really not a bad gain, except for the price. 360hp increased to 401hp?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's a 550i.

    Yep graph shows +42whp.

    But this is from Dinan's website:
    "The results of Dinan’s tuning are nothing short of breathtaking, with the added boost and related re-calibration producing a maximum output of 495 horsepower at 5000 rpm and 573 lb-ft torque at 3500 rpm."

    Car is rated at 400hp and 450lb-ft stock. I was expecting closer to +65-70whp.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    oh, well then yes, id be pretty pissed off and ask for a refund

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Dyno Testing environment?. Gas quality. Mechanical issue. Or just simply blame the tuner.

    BG

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Dyno Testing environment?. Gas quality. Mechanical issue. Or just simply blame the tuner.

    BG
    it was same day same gas though right? only thing changed is the tune

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    1,989
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    ATTACH INLINE!!!

    Dinan is over priced and it doesn't deliver
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Yes, same gas done within 6 hours of the baseline. Same dyno, same dyno operator. The did oil change and inspection at the same time as flash, I don't think its anything mechanical.

    Sorry - For some reason I can't edit the image. Says I don't have the right permissions?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    1,989
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge

    Sorry - For some reason I can't edit the image. Says I don't have the right permissions?
    In Manage Attachments choose the Attach Inline option
    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    In Manage Attachments choose the Attach Inline option
    When I click manage attachments it tells me I'm not authorized.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    1,989
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    When I click manage attachments it tells me I'm not authorized.
    How did you attach the image in the first place?
    Click here to enlarge

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    1,247
    Rep Points
    697.1
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    How did you attach the image in the first place?
    1337 hax
    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by FR305 Click here to enlarge
    How did you attach the image in the first place?
    Button worked when I made first post.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Boca Raton FL
    Posts
    1,989
    Rep Points
    48.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    Button worked when I made first post.
    PM Sticky
    Click here to enlarge

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    it was same day same gas though right? only thing changed is the tune
    I deal with these types of assumptions on a daily basis.

    Was it done on the dyno at the same time and adaptations cleared and then re-learned? Ifit was unstrapped, re-strapped I wouldnt hold much weight in this test.
    0
    I run a dyno for a living and the dyno dynamics based on ( strap pressure ) can be manipulated from run to run, if the car was unstrapped then really the testing is skewed and if the adaptations weren't cleared the car requires significant re-learning to really meet max potential DEPENDING how Dinan tunes the DME.

    If you really want to get an accurate test scenario - use a Dynapack. No strap BS and reads like an engine dyno. Fixed ratio. Have someone clear adaptations after the flash goes in and then let the car re-learn them for a good 50-100 miles on the street. Then back on the dyno Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by BrenM3; 02-23-2011 at 02:53 AM.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Image fixed, attached inline.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Ok, so the stock numbers look to be around 350 whp?

    This dyno dynamics is reading fairly low as we have seen these cars dyno around 385 whp stock on a dynojet.

    So, this isn't perfect but let's just run with this dyno dynamics reading .909 of a dynojet.

    401.6 / .909 = 441.8

    Baseline of 350 / .909 = 385

    441 - 385 = 56

    So, if you were on a dynojet you would likely be seeing gains around ~55 whp. Better... but I would still expect a little more. Dinan is conservative, this is what you get.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok, so the stock numbers look to be around 350 whp?

    This dyno dynamics is reading fairly low as we have seen these cars dyno around 385 whp stock on a dynojet.

    So, this isn't perfect but let's just run with this dyno dynamics reading .909 of a dynojet.

    401.6 / .909 = 441.8

    Baseline of 350 / .909 = 385

    441 - 385 = 56

    So, if you were on a dynojet you would likely be seeing gains around ~55 whp. Better... but I would still expect a little more. Dinan is conservative, this is what you get.
    A little hard to read from picture, but baseline was 359.4.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    198
    Rep Points
    127.9
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    I deal with these types of assumptions on a daily basis.

    Was it done on the dyno at the same time and adaptations cleared and then re-learned? Ifit was unstrapped, re-strapped I wouldnt hold much weight in this test.
    0
    I run a dyno for a living and the dyno dynamics based on ( strap pressure ) can be manipulated from run to run, if the car was unstrapped then really the testing is skewed and if the adaptations weren't cleared the car requires significant re-learning to really meet max potential DEPENDING how Dinan tunes the DME.

    If you really want to get an accurate test scenario - use a Dynapack. No strap BS and reads like an engine dyno. Fixed ratio. Have someone clear adaptations after the flash goes in and then let the car re-learn them for a good 50-100 miles on the street. Then back on the dyno Click here to enlarge
    Brendan - do you know these guys? Dyno was done at Dent Sport Garage in Norwood, they seemed to know what they were doing. Understanding the variability in a strap down dyno, the car was strapped down by the same guy who seemed to know his stuff, within a few hour of each other.

    The last 2 pulls were within 2hp - do you think more time driving to learn and/or strapping the car down differently would gain 50-100% more power?

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Yes I do. Very well. If you did a standard 3 pulls for 75 type deal you did not give the car enough to adapt imo.

    BG

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Yes I do. Very well. If you did a standard 3 pulls for 75 type deal you did not give the car enough to adapt imo.

    BG
    Any idea what kind of corrections they run?

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    118,891
    Rep Points
    31,838.9
    Mentioned
    2090 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    319


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alextremo Click here to enlarge
    A little hard to read from picture, but baseline was 359.4.
    In that case, the DD isn't reading as low as my mat has it. Yep, tune is pretty mild and I would be upset.

    I think I'm going to promote this issue to the front page later today if that is ok with you.

    Would you mind pm'ing me with what you paid and some further details? Thanks.

    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    13,485
    Rep Points
    58.0
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    strap pressure manipulates dyno readings now? so your really telling me there is no no way possible to get an accurate dyno comparison because the same exact pressure on the straps will always be different, combined with all the other manipulations and settings that you can enter...

    its simple, the dyno wasnt done to show how a Dinan tune sucks, it was done for a customer, so the dyno operator probably wants to show the best # possible. he dyno'd stock, then flashed and changed oil ect. and redyno'd. the # it put down is the # it put down. according to your theory now, it should be even lower than 400. so again, Dinan is overpriced $#@!

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    879
    Rep Points
    891.7
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Lm, when you come out of forum mechanic mode and work in real life learning these things then ill humor your opinion.

    Why don't you follow sal@ evolves recent posts on dd dynos when a member made 300whp in a stock e92. It confirms everything I said.

    BG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •