Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: N54 Failure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    Correct. They offer a pre-canned map, but they encourage and are really targetting people that want to tune everything themselves. The downside is that there really isn't much information out about it, but from what I understand if you can get ahold of them they will help you out. Also I believe users MazdaSpeed6 and Boom have run it and can help you out. If you can get past his demeanor, Laloosh knows a lot about the Standback as well.

Also good reading on the subject on BB here
    I can't get past the demeanor and frankly there are better sources of information.

Regardless, we ultimately have the best source of CP-E information right here, CP-E themselves as well as a user who goes by boom.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Most of us were like you when we started with this platform. This DME is that good. You'll see. Click here to enlarge
    I'm sure its excellent just not sure how far it can be pushed beyond its designed limits(which no one knows for certain what they are) Its like heavily upping the boost and expecting stock components to handle it. Regardless of how good they are for their original pupose they may not hold up to much more and it would be imprudent of me to expect so. Or to put it another way using your reply earlier in this thread I bought this 550 not leased it so I wouldn't be very happy with a car that may last only 60-80k miles. I dont have alot of confidence in a product that I'm being told upfront will significantly shorten the life of the engine.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Currently, unless I am mistaken, I believe the CP-E standback ultimately offers the end user the most control.
    Thanks for that! That seems like its exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately they dont make anything for my current vehicle(550I) but maybe they'd be interested in a new development car. I have to see where they're located. Probably far as f*ck from me as usual.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jimefam Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for that! That seems like its exactly what I'm looking for. Unfortunately they dont make anything for my current vehicle(550I) but maybe they'd be interested in a new development car. I have to see where they're located. Probably far as f*ck from me as usual.
    Their website is here: http://www.cp-e.com/

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOPALX,

I'm sure being personal friends with the creator of the procede had nothing to do with this but given that you started this thread re: what looks to be a failed n54 exhaust manifold, why no thread or comment on the major engine build going on at e90post currently?

Engine Block
    The guys at Birds discovered that piston #5 was on its way to destruction. The piston had lost a chunk of material on the corner and the rings were badly worn. Oil had definitely been seeping past and there was also a tiny speck of plastic sitting on top of the piston crown (where that came from is anyone's guess!) The top of the piston was covered in specks of carbon and tiny bits of aluminium. The other cylinders looked ok in terms of piston wear, but the cylinder bores were all significantly scored, much more than would have been expected from a 50,000 mile engine (which is what mine has done)....The car has been running either a remap or Procede for about the same mileage as well (about three years)....
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=464348

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't think to post that build up either. I guess he's going to have an update soon'ish as he's been busy lately.

With that, I'd want to add that the shop he went to for the teardown and rebuild is a highly regarded British shop, Birds, and as far as I know, they were unable to determine the cause of the excessive wear. I would think that ring and crankshaft bearing wear could point towards a slight knock issue, but Birds made no indication that was their diagnosis. Also, we should note that the vast majority of the time he was running a British flash tune by DMS. I think he may have ran the Evolve tune as well at some point, but don't quote me. He also spends a large amount of time on the 'Ring, but he also seems to keep he car excellently maintained.

I for one am looking forward to see his results with the new pistons, etc.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    42 pages of GLORY
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    42 pages of GLORY

42 pages of lies

I answered 3 times and 3 times removed

is a waste of court, leaving only the post they want
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So if I'm right your thinking that I was asked to start the thread, if that's your assumption your wrong. Id be more than happy to try your product once it offers CPS, I promise a fair review (no sarcasm intended).

I have been following this rebuild, which is quite interesting. Bird's where it's being done seams to be a highly experienced shop so should be a great motor when finished.

WOPALX,

I'm sure being personal friends with the creator of the procede had nothing to do with this but given that you started this thread re: what looks to be a failed n54 exhaust manifold, why no thread or comment on the major engine build going on at e90post currently?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I didn't think to post that build up either. I guess he's going to have an update soon'ish as he's been busy lately.

With that, I'd want to add that the shop he went to for the teardown and rebuild is a highly regarded British shop, Birds, and as far as I know, they were unable to determine the cause of the excessive wear. I would think that ring and crankshaft bearing wear could point towards a slight knock issue, but Birds made no indication that was their diagnosis. Also, we should note that the vast majority of the time he was running a British flash tune by DMS. I think he may have ran the Evolve tune as well at some point, but don't quote me. He also spends a large amount of time on the 'Ring, but he also seems to keep he car excellently maintained.

I don't know the OP of that one personally so can only go off what he wrote. Unless I misread it he described running the procede and a flash tune equally over the past few years. No doubt heavy amounts of time @ wot accelerated the wear and reading that thread it was refreshing to see a non-tuner-war informational build. Do you think such a thread would have been possible had the OP been using a JB product?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm wondering if he moderated some of the douche out of his thread lol, but yeah it was really refreshing. It also seems to me that the English guys get along with each other really well.

There's no arguing that there's no way a JB user would have gotten through a thread with that much civility over there without some heavy handed moderation. I do empathize with that
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WOPALX,

So what caused that dude to lose cylinder #5?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what caused that dude to lose cylinder #5?
    This

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This
    I'm very surprised they were not able to determine the cause of failure. I'm wondering if that is simply the political response as you know what people would do with that kind of info.

Let me guess, Procede user?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm very surprised they were not able to determine the cause of failure. I'm wondering if that is simply the political response as you know what people would do with that kind of info.

Let me guess, Procede user?
    Nothing that diabolical sir. He does mention that he has used a Procede on his car, but I honestly can't find a post of him using it. He used a DMS (British) reflash for years and I think tried Evolve for a while. Keep in mind this wear and damage (not failure) is after hundreds of 'Ring laps, as that's his hobby, and upgraded turbo's. He's been straightforward with problems he's had with his car and the shop he went to has no association with anyone in the N54 scene.

Let's not take this anywhere it doesn't need to go
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing that diabolical sir. He does mention that he has used a Procede on his car, but I honestly can't find a post of him using it. He used a DMS (British) reflash for years and I think tried Evolve for a while. Keep in mind this wear and damage (not failure) is after hundreds of 'Ring laps, as that's his hobby, and upgraded turbo's. He's been straightforward with problems he's had with his car and the shop he went to has no association with anyone in the N54 scene.

Let's not take this anywhere it doesn't need to go
    Well said, just curiosity and have a certain feeling that is there was any JB association with that car... well, you know.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so... just to be clear, there was no N54/JB failure here? just some overreaching assumptions by a fanboi of a competitors tune?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    so... just to be clear, there was no N54/JB failure here? just some overreaching assumptions by a fanboi of a competitors tune?
    Not sure how you got to this assumption.

An N54 has failed, what exactly we don't know.
    The vehicle was using a JB4.
    User was running a map that the tuner subsequently changed specs on in regards to octane requirements.
    Discussion on timing control / lack of timing control

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL LM clearly WOPALX is happy to let his reputation ride this ship to the very end despite even his own tuner jumping off it a few a days ago. I have a feeling it's going down. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    something on the motor, not tune related, failed, and the end user was disregarding tuners specification on requirements anyway.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    something on the motor, not tune related, failed, and the end user was disregarding tuners specification on requirements anyway.
    ok, got it, thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WOPALX Click here to enlarge
    Not sure how you got to this assumption.

An N54 has failed, what exactly we don't know.
    The vehicle was using a JB4.
    User was running a map that the tuner subsequently changed specs on in regards to octane requirements.
    Discussion on timing control / lack of timing control
    ok, valid points. i think ill go over to shivs site and pick apart the rebuild thread going on over in the EU. i guess since he ran the procede it must have caused the damage thats documented, even with all its safeties right.. same line of thinking your on, yes.

i have a question for you though. how is that im able to consistantly run 20 psi on JB3 no less, and not have blown my motor? by your and shivs theories, i should have needed CPS offsetting months ago and suffered catosptrophic failure by now. maybe a flaw in the theory?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ok, valid points. i think ill go over to shivs site and pick apart the rebuild thread going on over in the EU. i guess since he ran the procede it must have caused the damage thats documented, even with all its safeties right.. same line of thinking your on, yes.

i have a question for you though. how is that im able to consistantly run 20 psi on JB3 no less, and not have blown my motor? by your and shivs theories, i should have needed CPS offsetting months ago and suffered catosptrophic failure by now. maybe a flaw in the theory?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No flaw in the theory, and I've never said that without CPS offsetting you'd blow an engine in a certain amount of time.

Where being proactive in regards to timing adjustments comes to play is when something outside of the 'normal' occurs, and of course any long term cumulative effects of knock etc.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345