Close

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: N54 Failure

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N54 Failure

Links to the 2 threads are below, would be good if we can get some information here that does not descend into a tuning war.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=489767

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11459

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

in Spain it is called defamation covered Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

N54 3 post since 2009 and 3 already in trouble Click here to enlarge

in e90post Drives: 2007 BMW 335i White

Alpine

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

It looks like the OP hasn't said anything since the original double post. It really is ton of hot garbage on the e90post though

* I stand corrected

BMOEW :
    "I ran mobil one 5w30 (changed oil every 3000 miles)

The car was never smoking. And it was completely fine the night before.

I don't have a failsafe. Yes am an idiot.

I read on n54tech the jb4 map descriptions and it said nothing about it being with race gas.

I dunno am waiting to see what the dealer says, and will get back to you guys. I'll probably get it fixed at local shop."
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

Didn't real through all of the e90post thread but hope it turns out to be nothing major. Bad lifter, spun bearing, leaky injector, VANOS problem, etc, are all possibilities. Personally I don't see what all the drama is about. Did people think these motors would last forever @ 400rw?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

To be honest I think most were/are just planning to get through their lease and let someone else deal with the wear and tear, sadly.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

OP on e90 just indicated initial dealer diagnosis is bad turbos..... but they are still checking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

That seems unlikely. I guess the OP should have taken a video so we could hear what he is hearing, etc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

I agree it doesn't really fit what he described, but I'm glad he wasn't deterred from posting after his thread went the way it did.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    I don't have a failsafe. Yes am an idiot.

I read on n54tech the jb4 map descriptions and it said nothing about it being with race gas.
    i dunno, who knows, he doesnt sound like he pays attention much:

"Drove the car it was feeling alright on MAP 7! (used to run map 9 and up before)" map 9 was definatly a race map

"Map 7: 16.5psi. A light weight race map. 100 RM2 octane required." as posted in the jb4 instructions thread

mods: "MODS__________________
    JB4|DCI|AR ******* DPs|HELIX FMIC|STETT CHARGE PIPE W/ TIAL BOV| DEVILS OWN STAGE 2 METH"

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I'm staying out of this one. The owner was pushing the car outside the limits of the jb3 on pump gas and no meth failsafe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ he was jb4
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

If I read properly he has had a JB3 since 2009 on map 9-12 w/ meth. And was running JB4 map 7 for the past few days. If it turns out to be a piston ring it may be tuning/meth failsafe related but it's funny now quick certain people are to jump to that conclusion with zero information on the issue.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

I've never seen it listed in any map notes that the car is unreliable @ 400whp and one should be careful when venturing at that level.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I don't think its unreliable. We have 100s of customers who have pushed that level for years. But if a stock motor lasts 120-130k miles, with some going out at only 60-80k, how long is it really going to hold together at +50% power?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

That's why I love my lease!!!
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    i dunno, who knows, he doesnt sound like he pays attention much:

"Drove the car it was feeling alright on MAP 7! (used to run map 9 and up before)" map 9 was definatly a race map

"Map 7: 16.5psi. A light weight race map. 100 RM2 octane required." as posted in the jb4 instructions thread

mods: "MODS__________________
    JB4|DCI|AR ******* DPs|HELIX FMIC|STETT CHARGE PIPE W/ TIAL BOV| DEVILS OWN STAGE 2 METH"
    A couple other people have cut and pasted that same thing from the JB4 map guide and it didn't include the "100 RM2 octane required" portion. I'm not saying this is tune related, but I found that odd.

But yeah... that thread was filled with craaaaaaaap posts.
    Last edited by AtlHarry335; 02-17-2011 at 01:32 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    627 Post(s)

I added that 100RM2 this morning just to avoid any possible confusion. Race map requires race gas. Also since the JB4 came out we no longer support methanol usage without a flow sensor safety. Only map 3 should be used with meth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Doesn't really seem like the original poster really knew what he was doing.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Nope.. Any time you see race map you should have the common sense to make sure you have the fueling for it.. This problem probably started on the jb3 and it finally went when he went jb4.. I mean running meth with no failsafe? Cmon how many times are people going to do this..
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Doesn't really seam the tuner really knows what he was doing IMHO.

Increased boost and fuel generally needs timing to be changed as well. Flash tunes do it, factory remaps do it but JB3/4 relies on factory, stock timing maps. Either Terry is a genius or he's wrong? Personally I would not trust him with my lawnmower .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by WOPALX Click here to enlarge
    Increased boost and fuel generally needs timing to be changed as well. Flash tunes do it, factory remaps do it but JB3/4 relies on factory, stock timing maps.
    I'm impressed with how well you were able to regurgitate what Shiv fed you. Exactly his intention and you bought it hook, line, and sinker.

So what was your intention of creating this thread, to try to put someone down?

Flash tunes can adjust timing parameters but they still are relying on the factory parameters to do it. How is a flash tune going about it in a radically different way from the OEM setup? This whole timing nonsense is really being blown out of proportion, the Procede doesn't even have the direct timing control you can set in a flash. OMG, not safe, run away.

I don't care what timing control you have, if you run a map you don't have the right setup for without a failsafe you are asking for trouble.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Doesn't really seam the tuner really knows what he was doing IMHO.

Increased boost and fuel generally needs timing to be changed as well. Flash tunes do it, factory remaps do it but JB3/4 relies on factory, stock timing maps. Either Terry is a genius or he's wrong? Personally I would not trust him with my lawnmower .
    That's just dumb...
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sticky,

Honestly nothing fed, I initiated the thread as your site had no info about it..... maybe I should ask for a commission for the extra traffic Click here to enlarge

People jump on Shiv's responses on e90, if you took the time to read his first post he asked the OP for what codes were thrown prior to clearing.... hardly confrontational or pointing fingers at all. Rest of the thread over there apart from the OP's posts is pure crap.

Your more than happy to place on your front page info about the Procede causing misfires on a few AT cars. Fair enough, got a result, lets all have a love in for your excellent work in ensuring positive outcomes for enthusiastsClick here to enlarge

An N54 grenades and it gets no coverage on what you hope is a premier BMW enthusiast site, tuner suddenly changes his recommended map specs and this is not news worthy .... hypocritical IMHO.

In terms of running a map that's not suited to your fuel / boost then adjusting timing, whether direct or in-direct via CPS is better than relying on a factory knock system that is designed for 50% less boost than what is being targeted while the factory system is being fed info that says boost is just dandy at factory levels.

The above said we don't know what has gone pop, maybe it's not tune related... but none the less if you want to run a balanced forum people should be made aware of potential issues, even if it means a forum sponsor isn't overly happy with it.

Blown engines: JB4 = 1 vs V5 = 0, confrontational enough for you?

Cheers,

S

I'm impressed with how well you were able to regurgitate what Shiv fed you. Exactly his intention and you bought it hook, line, and sinker.

So what was your intention of creating this thread, to try to put someone down?

Flash tunes can adjust timing parameters but they still are relying on the factory parameters to do it. How is a flash tune going about it in a radically different way from the OEM setup? This whole timing nonsense is really being blown out of proportion, the Procede doesn't even have the direct timing control you can set in a flash. OMG, not safe, run away.

I don't care what timing control you have, if you run a map you don't have the right setup for without a failsafe you are asking for trouble.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    That's just dumb...
    Why is it dumb?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

An N54 grenades and it gets no coverage on what you hope is a premier BMW enthusiast site, tuner suddenly changes his recommended map specs and this is not news worthy .... hypocritical IMHO.
    You want me to throw up a headline on the front page because some guy with 3 posts makes a poorly worded post on n54tech? Seriously? That is some quality journalism as well as a quality source. What you are asking for is dangerous.

Honestly nothing fed, I initiated the thread as your site had no info about it..... maybe I should ask for a commission for the extra traffic
    Nothing fed? You just basically restate Shiv's statement on the timing.

I'm glad you put it up, don't get me wrong, but you seem to be doing it out of spite.

Your more than happy to place on your front page info about the Procede causing misfires on a few AT cars. Fair enough, got a result, lets all have a love in for your excellent work in ensuring positive outcomes for enthusiasts
    If I did that based on some poorly worded lines written by someone not involved in the community everyone would have routinely criticized and would have been right to. I had a video as evidence which clearly showed what was going on. Here, we don't have anything at all. So I think you are asking to jump the gun especially when this guy is still trying to figure out exactly what the problem is.

n N54 grenades and it gets no coverage on what you hope is a premier BMW enthusiast site, tuner suddenly changes his recommended map specs and this is not news worthy .... hypocritical IMHO.
    Once again, see the previous statement.

In terms of running a map that's not suited to your fuel / boost then adjusting timing, whether direct or in-direct via CPS is better than relying on a factory knock system that is designed for 50% less boost than what is being targeted while the factory system is being fed info that says boost is just dandy at factory levels.
    Do you know the capabilities of the knock and timing control in the factory ECU? You are saying they built a system that was designed around the stock boost level and that's it? Do you know how sophisticated that ECU is? The procede looks like an abacus in comparison.

The above said we don't know what has gone pop, maybe it's not tune related...
    Exactly, yet you want to promote sensationalism without even anything concrete to go on? You answer yourself right here, that means you have a pretty weak argument.

Blown engines: JB4 = 1 vs V5 = 0, confrontational enough for you?
    Only a Sith deals in absolutes. Haha, sorry, I had to. Why don't we see how this plays out, ok? Anyone stopping you from talking about it? Anyone hiding the fact Terry tried to make it easier for people to understand what they are doing with their maps?

Why would this make Terry unhappy? It originated on his forum and is still there. So, uh, maybe your posts should be better balanced?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast