Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

I dont usually write reviews but...

JB4. If you have heard enough, no need to read!

Anyways, I got my JB4 yesterday, went through the install (a breeze), shut the ECU cover and left the usb cable under the black box (havent used the cable in 6 months of owning it or more!) and finally, I started the car once to make sure all is well and it was.

Then, I installed the cowl and put the car back together and pushed start but the car went erratic and I could smell gasoline. I tried again, the car ALMOST started it but I shut it off, locked it and waited a few minutes. I checked to make sure all was well (emailed terry freaking out!!) and then decided to give it one more shot and the car strated like nothing was wrong.

Then I kept shutting it and starting it throughout my first drive on map 0 to make sure it was ok and it seemed fine, so I put it in map 2 (full boltons on the car) and the car ran beautifully. The power was there, but it was controllable. I continued to email Terry back and forth and he helped calm me down haha but also suggested that I update the firmware. I did just that (first time ever) and started the car and it worked just fine.

I went back to the long stretch of road to test the "new" firmware and the car was monstrous. I literally cannot express how amazing the feeling was... I do not know what caused the no-start in the beginning but I will update if I ever find out. In fact, I thought it had something to do with cold-starts, but this morning the car fired up just fine...

Long story a little longer: the JB4 is really awesome. I am glad to be able to use it, and all I can say is that it is really much better than the JB3 by a really huge amount. The power is much more consistent and the engine is better responsive than before too.

Finally, how many people are on their original turbos? When do i need to change these suckers? If i need to soon, I might go for some RBs... but not to go high boost, just for longevity!
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Awesome! Hopefully was just an install glitch the first time around. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    the update of JB3 to JB4 is remarkable

100 100% recommend the latter is very large software
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had a install glitch too lol but now it's runnin like a champ lmao
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Awesome! Hopefully was just an install glitch the first time around. Click here to enlarge
    usually happens in the rush to assemble Click here to enlarge

terry truth Click here to enlarge
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alq80 Click here to enlarge
    Finally, how many people are on their original turbos? When do i need to change these suckers? If i need to soon, I might go for some RBs... but not to go high boost, just for longevity!
    You will find that the overwhelming majority of people run stock turbos with their tunes for most of these typical reasons:
    1. The car is a lease
    2. They don't have money for other upgrades
    3. Tuned 335i's are fast enough for most of them.

I have not spotted many turbo failures on these cars, but the wastegate actuators seem to be the most plentiful problem after a while. And just like with any car that is running a tune whatever fails on it is directly tied into how the driver actually drives their car. You should upgrade your turbos for when you feel like you're car is too slow.......which should be in about a week and a half.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sr20seb Click here to enlarge
    You will find that the overwhelming majority of people run stock turbos with their tunes for most of these typical reasons:
    1. The car is a lease
    2. They don't have money for other upgrades
    3. Tuned 335i's are fast enough for most of them.

I have not spotted many turbo failures on these cars, but the wastegate actuators seem to be the most plentiful problem after a while. And just like with any car that is running a tune whatever fails on it is directly tied into how the driver actually drives their car. You should upgrade your turbos for when you feel like you're car is too slow.......which should be in about a week and a half.
    LOL a week and a half is too long haha

Actually, I own my car, and I baby it alot and take alot of care for it (in fact, it turns out my HPFP was never replaced and the car is on 40K miles. knock on wood!) BUT, the car is going to be shipped back to Kuwait in the next few months, and I will need better turbos to dissipate heat better and for reliability in the heat. But i guess it's good to know that only the wastegates are going out and can be repaired... I think?

Terry, I do assume it was a glitch as it happened to me once with the JB3 and I misconnected something. This time all car funcitons work just fine, so it must have been a glitch!

Oh and does anybody have any idea about the ability to change spart plugs and injectors on my own? I hate going to the stealer and wouldng mind doing it myself... is the calibration issue resolved, anyone?
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The wastegates arent the only issue, its the sleeve in which the wastegate arm rides through on the turbine housing. These wear out and develop a lot of play and cause the ratting issues.

RBs are the way to go with their solution to that whole mess.

If you are shipping it off to Kuwait, at least you have 0-60 Motorsports not TOO far from you....they can take care of whatever you need done!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    The wastegates arent the only issue, its the sleeve in which the wastegate arm rides through on the turbine housing. These wear out and develop a lot of play and cause the ratting issues.

RBs are the way to go with their solution to that whole mess.

If you are shipping it off to Kuwait, at least you have 0-60 Motorsports not TOO far from you....they can take care of whatever you need done!
    You are right! If I do not get them installed here, I probably will there... Thanks for the reminder. Also the higher octane should allow me to run higher boost regardles
    Click here to enlarge
    Current:
    2010 CTS-V Sedan

Previous:
    2007 e92 335i

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The JB4 is definitely fast. I was just as impressed with it a week ago when, I received mine and still am. It feels a lot smoother than the old JB3, even though I used to think the JB3 was good, but the JB4 just makes it look like going from SMG to DCT in an M car, it feels very refined this time around. OH! and I almost forgot to mention, the steering controls are the best part of it IMO, chaning maps and other settings has never been easier. Thanks Terry for this amazing product.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Glad you got your install wrinkle smoothed out OP. Also congrats on the upgrade!
    Click here to enlarge