Close

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,162
    Rep Points
    31,308.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Laptop chargers - Best Buy and Radio Shack rip you off

    My dell charger finally was falling apart. The tip where you connect it to the laptop was coming apart from being bent. It happens with all chargers after a while (at least in my experience) and the dell unit seemed to be high quality although if it was it would not have broken after a year, right?

    Anyway, I go to Best Buy to get a replacement. $85 universal charger, wtf? $85?

    I go to Radio Shack, similar charger, but $97 out the door. I bought it simply because I needed to use my computer so chaos did not ensue on BB. That, and for pics of brooklyn decker.

    The only reason I bought the Radio Shack charger was to hold me over until my charger from Ebay arrived, for $9. Yes, $9, shipped.

    So explain to me why this is $100: http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...uctId=3964925#

    Click here to enlarge

    And this with seemingly heavier duty build is $9:

    Click here to enlarge

    I feel sorry for all the people who know nothing about computers that they prey on.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Hanover, MD
    Posts
    1,220
    Rep Points
    697.0
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If you think that's bad don't look at cables. When I worked at Best Buy we really really had to push cables and ink on people because that's where they make their money. Usually computers are a break even kind of thing, but a $60 usb cable costs the company under $2. Do the math on that markup. The high end audio cables are even worse. $300 toslink/fiber optic cables lol
    Click here to enlarge

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    226.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    bought a very similar ebay charger for my dell. Like yours, my original failed at the jack after ~2 years of use (frequently packing it up and unpacking it). Well, 1 year -- the 2nd year I made do with a small hose clamp to physically hold the tip in place Click here to enlarge

    Anyway, the ebay one lasted about two months before the cord broke at the AC converter thingamajig -- so don't be surprised if it happens to you. I still refused to pay $100 for a best buy cable when the laptop probably isn't worth that, so I wound up cutting my broken jack off the old cable and rigging the new one on in its place...

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,162
    Rep Points
    31,308.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    If you think that's bad don't look at cables. When I worked at Best Buy we really really had to push cables and ink on people because that's where they make their money. Usually computers are a break even kind of thing, but a $60 usb cable costs the company under $2. Do the math on that markup. The high end audio cables are even worse. $300 toslink/fiber optic cables lol
    Best Buy is the worst with that kind of crap, they also push service plans heavily, F that.

    I bet people buy the cables too. That is part of the problem though... people just don't know better or maybe just don't care. I couldn't bring myself to spend $100 on a charger, just couldn't do it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,162
    Rep Points
    31,308.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    bought a very similar ebay charger for my dell. Like yours, my original failed at the jack after ~2 years of use (frequently packing it up and unpacking it). Well, 1 year -- the 2nd year I made do with a small hose clamp to physically hold the tip in place Click here to enlarge

    Anyway, the ebay one lasted about two months before the cord broke at the AC converter thingamajig -- so don't be surprised if it happens to you. I still refused to pay $100 for a best buy cable, so I wound up cutting my broken jack off the old cable and rigging the new one on in its place...
    I could have probably cut my old one, reconnected it, and sealed it with rubber shrink wrap. If it comes down to it again, I'll do that.

    The ebay one will probably fail as well, I have the same issue as you. Packing it up and then unpacking it which bends it.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Points
    6,728.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Reputation: Yes | No
    If you are a little bit handy with a soldering iron you just cut of the old connector from the original Dell power supply, order a new soldering connector (measure the diameter of the tip first before you order, they all look the same on just a picture), measure which wire is positive, connect that one to the core connector, and the ground to the outside of the connector.
    And Bob's your uncle. For $4,-
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,162
    Rep Points
    31,308.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    If you are a little bit handy with a soldering iron you just cut of the old connector from the original Dell power supply, order a new soldering connector (measure the diameter of the tip first before you order, they all look the same on just a picture), measure which wire is positive, connect that one to the core connector, and the ground to the outside of the connector.
    And Bob's your uncle. For $4,-
    I can live without the work for $9.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    6,190
    Rep Points
    6,728.3
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    68


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I can live without the work for $9.
    It's not the work, it's the satisfaction you get from doing the repair job yourself Click here to enlarge
    + the Ebay PS will just not be the same quality as the Dell PS. Power could spike, shortcut, and what not on these cheap China smack-it-together devices.
    As long as the electronics don't fail you're better off with the original PS.
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,162
    Rep Points
    31,308.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DavidV Click here to enlarge
    It's not the work, it's the satisfaction you get from doing the repair job yourself Click here to enlarge
    + the Ebay PS will just not be the same quality as the Dell PS. Power could spike, shortcut, and what not on these cheap China smack-it-together devices.
    As long as the electronics don't fail you're better off with the original PS.
    I hear you, nothing like doing it yourself.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    My charger went dead and I took it apart and fixed it after I saw the 85 dollar piece of $#@! at radio shack. That $#@! motivated me.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Valley Stream NY
    Posts
    3,293
    Rep Points
    2,744.4
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    28


    Reputation: Yes | No
    This is why I buy all my cables online. There are some great websites that you can get your $300 cables for aboutv $30. I gotta go dig up the link my friend gave me.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    7,970
    Rep Points
    5,648.9
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57


    Reputation: Yes | No
    i just use amazon.. but if you need it you need it.. what can you do
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,162
    Rep Points
    31,308.1
    Mentioned
    2055 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    314



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    i just use amazon.. but if you need it you need it.. what can you do
    Buy it, order another on Ebay, return.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Encino,CA
    Posts
    7,970
    Rep Points
    5,648.9
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    57


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Buy it, order another on Ebay, return.
    hell yea, 30 day return policy rules! it give you enough time to find the same thing 90% cheaper lmao
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •