Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dumb? N/A S52 E36's are turds. I owned and custom dyno tuned mine with weight reduction M50 manifold, full intake/exhaust. Made 248whp. Was slow as $#@!. Lost to stock E46's. Not on a pedestal as a fanboy as I've owned every single M3 from the E30. The 36 was the most disappointing. I didnt read the weight reduction part that is a MAX 105 car. Still!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    Dumb? N/A S52 E36's are turds. I owned and custom dyno tuned mine with weight reduction M50 manifold, full intake/exhaust. Made 248whp. Was slow as $#@!. Lost to stock E46's. Not on a pedestal as a fanboy as I've owned every single M3 from the E30. The 36 was the most disappointing. I didnt read the weight reduction part that is a MAX 105 car. Still!
    Your statements are bunk. You are basing it all on one experience (your own). Doesnt mean all are that way. I pulled modded e46s with less whp in mine (when N/a). And I think you should restate that one comment as a stock e36 is the most disappointing. I assure you mine is nothing near disappointing... Dont get me wrong, an n/a s52 m3 would feel like a turd compared to my car... 407.7whp feels like a turd compared to my car. But you need to research a weight reduction e36 m3 because there are several running low 12's at 108-112 mph on BF. I dont know if those guys are on here.
    Last edited by rt turbo; 02-16-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    | 1997 Estoril M3 - TURBO - |
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |
    | Nick G custom tune | 46mm Precision gate | 62# injectors | Dual 255's |

Goal to be the first GT35r E36 to: 30 psi, 140+ mph, < 6 second 60-130

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    110? That is very, very optimistic.

The only E36 M3 I know of to trap like that is a stripped lightweight on slicks.

This one with a shot of nitrous (90) trapped 111: http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-M3-Timeslip-1580.html

Here is a turbo car going 112: http://www.dragtimes.com/BMW-M3-Timeslip-7244.html

In stock form the car hits about 100 mph through the traps. 10 mph is a lot to pick up. The weight reduction may give him 2 mph or so. I doubt it would trap any more than 105 at best.
    There are a couple on BF.com that have run 12.0's at over 110 n/a.
    Click here to enlarge
    | GT3582R | 8.5:1 forged internals | ARP stuffs | SS oring block & Elring HG | Fully balanced & blueprinted 3.3L S52 |

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rt turbo Click here to enlarge
    Your statements are bunk. You are basing it all on one experience (your own). Doesnt mean all are that way. I pulled modded e46s with less whp in mine (when N/a). And I think you should restate that one comment as a stock e36 is the most disappointing. I assure you mine is nothing near disappointing... Dont get me wrong, an n/a s52 m3 would feel like a turd compared to my car... 407.7whp feels like a turd compared to my car. But you need to research a weight reduction e36 m3 because there are several on here running low 12's at 108-112 mph on BF. I dont know if those guys are on here.
    You pulled a stock E46 M3 with what mods? 6 mph trap speed difference to make up.. that is tough.

I haven't seen several NA guys running 112.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are a couple on BF.com that have run 12.0's at over 110 n/a.
    I don't know of them personally but that is not to say they do not exist.

I think for the most part a 112 trapping NA E36 is a rarity.

My opinion is that 105 is right on for this car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know of them personally but that is not to say they do not exist.

I think for the most part a 112 trapping NA E36 is a rarity.

My opinion is that 105 is right on for this car.
    for 270 whp and 2800 lbs? really? I guarantee such a car would outdo 105 mph. I do agree any us-spec E36m3 running >105mph is a rarity. I only know of the one running 112mph. I think one other is 108-110mph that I know of. Not many for sure.

Also, Ive just never found a strong e46 m3 I guess... or a strong owner driving one. I actually pulled one in my 1990 944 S2 (non-turbo). I know that sounds crazy, but it happened.

My M3 had about 230whp and right at or just under 3000lbs. I ran neck in neck with stock ws6's and pulled stock e46s. Never found one that pulled me. But thats just my experience with them. Like I said, maybe I had sub-par opponents, but when your both in gear, and in the proper gear with full throttle, and you pull, your power-to-weight with gearing is clearly allowing you to accelerate faster.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Also, Ive just never found a strong e46 m3 I guess... or a strong owner driving one. I actually pulled one in my 1990 944 S2 (non-turbo). I know that sounds crazy, but it happened.
    Things can happen on the street but obviously the E46 M3 is a much stronger car.

My M3 had about 230whp and right at or just under 3000lbs. I ran neck in neck with stock ws6's and pulled stock e46s. Never found one that pulled me. But thats just my experience with them. Like I said, maybe I had sub-par opponents, but when your both in gear, and in the proper gear with full throttle, and you pull, your power-to-weight with gearing is clearly allowing you to accelerate faster.
    My M3 trapped 106 stock. I ran a WS6 and lost by 2 cars, I have seen them trap 110. I don't believe you were in that range, but hey, driver makes a difference.

for 270 whp and 2800 lbs? really? I guarantee such a car would outdo 105 mph. I do agree any us-spec E36m3 running >105mph is a rarity. I only know of the one running 112mph. I think one other is 108-110mph that I know of. Not many for sure.
    A rarity is the best way to put it for cars over 105. 12 mph to gain in an NA car with as little displacement as the M3 is tough. I gained a good 40 whp or so in my M3 and I only got about 4 mph of trap speed. To get 12... even 8, on an E36 is going to be very hard. That is why generally they are in the low 100's. This one may have a bit of weight reduction, but that isn't going to give it 12 mph.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I know the owner of that e36 M3 when i was back in LA, and oh yes, his car is a lot faster than any stock e46 m3

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mm28 Click here to enlarge
    I know the owner of that e36 M3 when i was back in LA, and oh yes, his car is a lot faster than any stock e46 m3
    A lot faster? I doubt it. Any videos or times to substantiate it? In a top end race, an E46 M3 should win.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

A rarity is the best way to put it for cars over 105. 12 mph to gain in an NA car with as little displacement as the M3 is tough. I gained a good 40 whp or so in my M3 and I only got about 4 mph of trap speed. To get 12... even 8, on an E36 is going to be very hard. That is why generally they are in the low 100's. This one may have a bit of weight reduction, but that isn't going to give it 12 mph.
    Sure it can, you do realize there are stickley motors built off us spec s52 making 350 hp right?

I bet with a 13.1:1 compression built S52 87mm and some big cams, big port job and oversized valves, in a stripped e36 we would see 120+mph. T\he car would need to weight 2500lbs, but it can be done.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    A lot faster? I doubt it. Any videos or times to substantiate it? In a top end race, an E46 M3 should win.
    Really? 278 rwhp 2800 lb car vs 250ish-265ish rwhp 3600lb car? Seriously? That e36 is ganna rape it. Look at that power to weight, it takes a stock weight E36 m3 about 230rwhp to have a greater power to weight. And that is about the point I was at when I pulled on them.
    Last edited by rt turbo; 02-19-2011 at 01:21 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sure it can, you do realize there are stickley motors built off us spec s52 making 350 hp right?
    Come on, that's like saying there are S54 race motors putting out 450 hp. Not a representation of real world street motors in street cars with bolt on's.

I bet with a 13.1:1 compression built S52 87mm and some big cams, big port job and oversized valves, in a stripped e36 we would see 120+mph. T\he car would need to weight 2500lbs, but it can be done.
    Sure, Honda's do it all the time but we are talking about realistic street cars here not stripped out cars with motors on the brink of holding together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Come on, that's like saying there are S54 race motors putting out 450 hp. Not a representation of real world street motors in street cars with bolt on's.

Sure, Honda's do it all the time but we are talking about realistic street cars here not stripped out cars with motors on the brink of holding together.
    I think that is realistic. Thats not "on the brink of holding together." t hat motor will hold together just as good as a boosted/built s52. And im not talking about completely stripping either. just some weight reduction. Dont get me wrong, id take an s54 or s50b32 ANYDAY for N/A over a us spec s52.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I think that is realistic. Thats not "on the brink of holding together." t hat motor will hold together just as good as a boosted/built s52. And im not talking about completely stripping either. just some weight reduction. Dont get me wrong, id take an s54 or s50b32 ANYDAY for N/A over a us spec s52.
    Yes, it's not realistic to essentially equate race built motors to street motors with bolt on's. Let's get real here, the S52 in NA form is not going to put up the power necessary for 110 traps without seriously being stripped out. If we go with realistic representations of everyday cars, it isn't happening.

That is just the way I see it. The E36 M3 has never been an NA monster and I still would side with 105 trap for that car. When we are talking 110, we are talking the highest end that is not an applicable representation, and even 105 isn't the majority and on the higher side.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I disagree. 105 isnt hard at all to do. My buddy right here next to me (scottycs) just reminded me he ran 106 mph with simple boltons on his 325. It was a basic 325 with an s52 swap, obd1 conversion, tune, header-back exhaust 3.5 maf and diff swap. That car would have made much more with cams w/ tune and weight reduction. I dont think you have much experience with them, but thats ok. Your entitled to your opinion. Like I said, I would still rather start with a euro motor, but the us spec s52 is capable of 110+ if you know what you are doing, and it will run with decent reliability. John from CES has been running his same Stickly motor that was originally built for NA back in the day and now produces 600+ hp. Its been running for like 7-8 years and originally made 300rwhp N/a. Only difference is now it has a head spacer. Thats no worse reliability than any other bmw n/a built motor. Also, your interpretations of street-ability is only comparable with how it is driven. If its daily driven, i dont see any difference if its stripped. Maybe less comfortable.
    Just my thoughts.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I disagree. 105 isnt hard at all to do
    It can be done, has been done, and certainly is more realistic which is why it was raised. It still is on the higher end of S52 NA performance. The vast majority are going to struggle just cracking 100. With mods, 105 is realistic which is why it has been the sticking point.

I dont think you have much experience with them, but thats ok. Your entitled to your opinion. Like I said, I would still rather start with a euro motor, but the us spec s52 is capable of 110+ if you know what you are doing, and it will run with decent reliability.
    First hand experience? No, other than running a few and having spent considerable time at the strip as well as reading about and researching BMW modification in general.

From my experience and time on forums, I believe my comment and the comments made regarding the S52 with bolt on's and 105 trap speeds is more accurate that your statement that the m3 in this video would trap 110 and implying it is easy to do so. Really, it is tough for an S54 even to get to that range.

The comments about weight reduction mask the fact that the reality for E36 M3's is pretty far away from 110 mph traps with bolt on's. I don't have first hand experience with the car as you do, but I believe that to be an educated assertion based on the body of evidence provided by S52 drag times as well as the dyno numbers from the motor.

but the us spec s52 is capable of 110+ if you know what you are doing, and it will run with decent reliability.
    This is where the problem lies as really we are just paper racing. The body of work for the motor suggests this is fairly difficult to achieve and we can count on one hand the cars that have done it. They also would not be a valid representation of full weight street cars.

Also, your interpretations of street-ability is only comparable with how it is driven. If its daily driven, i dont see any difference if its stripped. Maybe less comfortable.
    Just my thoughts.
    Mainly my point is you have to compensate with weight to get there because you can not do it through power alone. Weight reduction seems to be a common theme in your argument which implies the motor with bolt on's alone is not strong enough.

You strip enough weight out of anything and you will get some impressive numbers. I could argue the E92 M3 could be a 120 mph trap car with bolt on's and weight reduction but that isn't a realistic representation of what the vast majority run or are really capable of.

I'll agree to disagree, I simply believe BrenM3 was not dumb with what he said. I understand your position but I believe his statement on the performance was legitimate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, All im saying is that 2800 lb car with 310 crank hp is ganna be pretty quick. If you look at the calculators (which are correct on MPH) say this setup should yield 112 mph. 278 whp and 2800 lb is what Im looking at, not whether its an s52 doing it, I dont care what motor it is, numbers are numbers. and 310 crank hp in 2800 lbs car is capable of 110+ mph. I ran 111 in my evo with about 280 whp before I really started to mod her.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well, All im saying is that 2800 lb car with 310 crank hp is ganna be pretty quick. If you look at the calculators (which are correct on MPH) say this setup should yield 112 mph. 278 whp and 2800 lb is what Im looking at, not whether its an s52 doing it, I dont care what motor it is, numbers are numbers. and 310 crank hp in 2800 lbs car is capable of 110+ mph. I ran 111 in my evo with about 280 whp before I really started to mod her.
    310 crank hp not WHP + 2800lbs does not = 112 trap... it would be more like 108 maybe 109 depending on what it loses via drivetrain...

And how the hell did you go 111 in an Evo with only 280whp? no happening, 3400lbs (on the low side) and 280whp is almost bone stock power lol... they are like a 102-103 trap cars bone stock....youd need 350-370whp to hit 110+ traps in an evo...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    310 crank hp not WHP + 2800lbs does not = 112 trap... it would be more like 108 maybe 109 depending on what it loses via drivetrain...

And how the hell did you go 111 in an Evo with only 280whp? no happening, 3400lbs (on the low side) and 280whp is almost bone stock power lol... they are like a 102-103 trap cars bone stock....youd need 350-370whp to hit 110+ traps in an evo...
    Go here and calculate it: http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tools.html#1 . The MPH on these calculators are surprisingly close. The ets are nowhere near. this calculator uses crank hp, so type in 310, and 2800 for weight. Comes to 112 mph.

Also, my Evo at that point weighted 3279 with me in it. Also, you need to read up on power here bro. Evo 8's made about 210-230 AWHP bone stock (DD dynos showed 180 AWHP stock on some). Not even the new Evos make near 280 awhp stock. You are WAY off on the weight (if speaking of the 8 or 9's) I dont know what the ones weigh. Stock 03 cobras made 360-370 rwhp and trapped 110 but weighed 3900 lbs. Your ganna say about the same power with 700 less lbs will trap the same? LOL. There is a 22-24% drivetrane loss with these cars. When I dynoed 350 awhp I was running 115 mph traps. You are way off here, Im talking about personal experience with my own Evo, not hearsay like you are. I had one of the first 10 Evos in the US back in March 2003. My account on EVOm is one of the FIRST. I trapped over 120MPH with one of the first stock turbo w/ meth and Dynoflash/Bushur setups to make 400AWHP. That was WITHOUT the 10.5 turbine housing. I know a lot about Evos. Your wrong with the stats.
    Last edited by rt turbo; 02-20-2011 at 07:25 PM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Go here and calculate it: http://www.hotrodpitstop.com/tools.html#1 . The MPH on these calculators are surprisingly close. The ets are nowhere near. this calculator uses crank hp, so type in 310, and 2800 for weight. Comes to 112 mph.

Also, my Evo at that point weighted 3279 with me in it. Also, you need to read up on power here bro. Evo 8's made about 210-230 AWHP bone stock (DD dynos showed 180 AWHP stock on some). Not even the new Evos make near 280 awhp stock. You are WAY off on the weight (if speaking of the 8 or 9's) I dont know what the ones weigh. Stock 03 cobras made 360-370 rwhp and trapped 110 but weighed 3900 lbs. Your ganna say about the same power with 700 less lbs will trap the same? LOL. There is a 22-24% drivetrane loss with these cars. When I dynoed 350 awhp I was running 115 mph traps. You are way off here, Im talking about personal experience with my own Evo, not hearsay like you are. I had one of the first 10 Evos in the US back in March 2003. My account on EVOm is one of the FIRST. I trapped over 120MPH with one of the first stock turbo w/ meth and Dynoflash/Bushur setups to make 400AWHP. That was WITHOUT the 10.5 turbine housing. I know a lot about Evos. Your wrong with the stats.
    The calculator is correct on the trap for 310 and 2800 BUT it is in WHP not crank... it takes XXX whp to make a car go XXXmph... i use the TCI calculators they are all pretty much the same... i know that one is in whp because after typing in my cars weight and whp, it is almost identical... my car made 524whp (DJ) and trapped 137.4... the calculator says it should go 138.08...

Now onto the Evo part "Bro", I said almost stock hahah... a bone stock Evo 8 makes 230-240 on a dyno jet and the 9's make a little more give or take... most DD's that are set up correct make less power than a DJ..but it is easy to mess with DD numbers just like it is with mustang dynos...so its always hard to know if they are correct or not... my guess is you had an RS? they are the lightest of the EVO's.. my roomates old RS weighed 3150 without him in it... and hes 170lbs.... The RS's are a good 100lbs lighter than the GSR's and MR's...my friends 8 weighs 3500 with him in it and hes 190.. So when i said 3400, it was a pretty good estimate on what your AVERAGE evo 8/9 weighs with a driver in it... not everyone is 150lbs either lol... Even your 350whp and 115 trap doesnt make sense go to your calculator and type it in let me know what you get lol... 3279 @ 350whp = 111mph on YOUR calculator

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is the myopia bull$#@! of the internet forum. People get so caught up in pride in their own car that they will present false imagery of a unicorn gutted $#@!box as a standard median for all times.

I see a BMW as a sport luxury car - therefore a full weight sports car. Comparing a gutted shell to a full weight street car is asinine. Hell, a 160whp honda can go fast when its 1900lbs.

A full weight bolt on S52 is a give or take 240-250whp car with all the bolt-ons minus crazy headwork/compression. It is a 103-105 car on it's BEST day, on pump fuel at full weight N/A. The guys getting more are geared/honda diet and run out of gear at 120 lol. A full weight E46 6spd is a 104 car on it's worst day and some people like myself have trapped 107-109 bone stock. Gut an E92/E46 and it's the same playing field. Leave them street trim as they are street cars on pump fuel and the E36 is far far behind. As the S52 US is a boat anchor in N/A form.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BrenM3 Click here to enlarge
    This is the myopia bull$#@! of the internet forum. People get so caught up in pride in their own car that they will present false imagery of a unicorn gutted $#@!box as a standard median for all times.

I see a BMW as a sport luxury car - therefore a full weight sports car. Comparing a gutted shell to a full weight street car is asinine. Hell, a 160whp honda can go fast when its 1900lbs.

A full weight bolt on S52 is a give or take 240-250whp car with all the bolt-ons minus crazy headwork/compression. It is a 103-105 car on it's BEST day, on pump fuel at full weight N/A. The guys getting more are geared/honda diet and run out of gear at 120 lol. A full weight E46 6spd is a 104 car on it's worst day and some people like myself have trapped 107-109 bone stock. Gut an E92/E46 and it's the same playing field. Leave them street trim as they are street cars on pump fuel and the E36 is far far behind. As the S52 US is a boat anchor in N/A form.
    Not picking sides but I do agree with this.

My E46 M3 S54 for reference trapped 104 on pump 100% bone stock.

My E92 M3 110-111 100% stock on pump.

S54 whp 275, S65 350. 65 whp difference, 6-7 mph trap difference. Pretty crazy how it is right on the money...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry no video, but i do have first hand experiences racing that guy. and since I used to own a e46 m3 there is no incentive for me to admit it is slower than a older gen m3 lol.
    This was 5-6 years ago when AA didn’t even had a Supercharger system for the e46 M3, and e46 M3s with bolt-on were thought to be fast lol.

The owner of this e36 m3 in question was amoung my group of track buddies. We used to met up on a weekly basis and did a lot of track and street racings together. I've personally raced his e36 with 3 different e46, getting in multiple runs each time. The results were about the same. All races were done from 40 or 60 roll all the way through 120-130ish. The e46 can somewhat stop his pull at top end but his car would kept pulling through 2nd and 3rd.

True, maybe if the race were from 100-160 the e46m could win, but if that's the kind of races the e46 would need in order to win, then it is just a slower car in real life.
    But if there is any consolation, my N/A e46's lap time was faster than his e36.Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2093 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    True, maybe if the race were from 100-160 the e46m could win, but if that's the kind of races the e46 would need in order to win, then it is just a slower car in real life.
    Not necessarily, just means it is stronger on the highway than the street.

But if there is any consolation, my N/A e46's lap time was faster than his e36
    To some, this is what truly matters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by gringotegra Click here to enlarge
    The calculator is correct on the trap for 310 and 2800 BUT it is in WHP not crank... it takes XXX whp to make a car go XXXmph... i use the TCI calculators they are all pretty much the same... i know that one is in whp because after typing in my cars weight and whp, it is almost identical... my car made 524whp (DJ) and trapped 137.4... the calculator says it should go 138.08...

Now onto the Evo part "Bro", I said almost stock hahah... a bone stock Evo 8 makes 230-240 on a dyno jet and the 9's make a little more give or take... most DD's that are set up correct make less power than a DJ..but it is easy to mess with DD numbers just like it is with mustang dynos...so its always hard to know if they are correct or not... my guess is you had an RS? they are the lightest of the EVO's.. my roomates old RS weighed 3150 without him in it... and hes 170lbs.... The RS's are a good 100lbs lighter than the GSR's and MR's...my friends 8 weighs 3500 with him in it and hes 190.. So when i said 3400, it was a pretty good estimate on what your AVERAGE evo 8/9 weighs with a driver in it... not everyone is 150lbs either lol... Even your 350whp and 115 trap doesnt make sense go to your calculator and type it in let me know what you get lol... 3279 @ 350whp = 111mph on YOUR calculator
    All these calculators are for crank hp. The one I gave doesnt show a description, plenty more say crank hp. Indeed, my Evo ran 115 with about 350 whp. Il have to dig that dyno up, may have been in the 356 range. its been awhile.

Hel, evidently a stock E36 m3 would only trap 93mph if we went by whp lol

Just for kicks to show you Im right with entering crank and not whp, try entering whp fora stock e46 m3 & weight. Comes to about 96/97 mph. Now enter in crank hp for its weight and it shows 106 mph which is what some of you on here are illuding to for personal runs. Given this, 278whp and 2800 lbs is capable of 112. The guy on BF.com that has run 112 mph had much less than 278 whp but much more weight reduction. Im thinking he was in the 2500lb range or something crazy like that.
    Last edited by rt turbo; 02-21-2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast