Close

Thread: Ethanol Sensors

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Ethanol Sensors

While doing some random searching in regards to looking for the best price for
    an ethanol sensor I couldn't help but notice a few alternatives to what is being
    sold by Fuel it and others which is the Continental Ethanol content sensor. I
    saw the GM sensor which upon searching other forums appears to be
    interchangeable but a 1/4 of the price. Is this in fact the case? Or is there a
    specific reason why we are limited to the continental sensor?

Here's an example of a much cheaper sensor:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-Fuel-Et...ZY5oMV&vxp=mtr

Any info
    would be greatly appreciated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That link didnt work for me.
    To answer your question, everyones forming their e85 solutions around the continental sensor this is the main reason why. The continental sensor works and is readily available. You can get them used even cheaper if you are willing to go to your local pull-a-part and dig for a little bit.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The Genuine GM sensor is the Continental sensor. You can get them for much less than some places offer them, but as others said. They want to support vendors. Just doing a simple google search should net you a ton of info

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP, have you seen that mhd and jb4 are both implementing methods for virtual ethanol sensors that estimate ethanol content and adapt a tune to function with low to high content without a need to have a single tune for a narrow octane rating?
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.
    11.75@127 on GCs.
    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    implementing methods for virtual ethanol sensors that estimate ethanol content
    How does a virtual sensor work?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I know JB4 is doing a virtual flex fuel sensor, but MHD is? Is that a competition to the flex fuel system that Motiv is coming out with? My understanding of Motiv's is that it requires a true flex fuel sensor and their ECA.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The true flex fuel I am wrapping up on stock DME will work with a real ethanol sensor + ECA, or the virtual voltage output via JB4. A "virtual" sensor is nothing more than an algorithm based off of (usually) your o2 feedback, trims, etc.

I don't think there is really any competition here. If you have a JB4 already and no E-sensor, you will use that signal output into the DME + MHD Flex Fuel.

If you don't have a JB4 or want to get rid of it, buy a Conti/GM sensor + the Motiv ECA and use that signal output into the DME + MHD Flex Fuel.

I also would not buy a sensor from eBay. Many on there are Chinese fakes / clones that do not have a well calibrated output Hz and will throw off your readings. You can buy a legit sensor from known sources for a good deal if you search around.
    BIG things coming soon Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The virtual sensor won't give the same precision as a physical sensor, but also does not require any additional hardware. Most late model vehicles include versions of the virtual sensor. I'm certain the F series BMW also has an internal calculation for ethanol mixture too although have not figured out yet how to get it to spit it out.

Looking forward to working within the new MHD flex fuel tables once released to incorporate that in to our JB4 BEF templates.

Worth noting, even if you have a physical sensor, it's nice to have a virtual in the background for extra protection:

Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I'm certain the F series BMW also has an internal calculation for ethanol mixture too although have not figured out yet how to get it to spit it out.

Really? That would be sweet. What makes you think this? I would be very interested to dig through the code and look into it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    In trying to develop a virtual sensor for F series I've found evidence there is a 3rd long term fuel trim (separate from short and long term trims) that appears to move based on ethanol mixture. I can't find any documentation on it in the F series PID listings I have, though...
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    178 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    In trying to develop a virtual sensor for F series I've found evidence there is a 3rd long term fuel trim (separate from short and long term trims) that appears to move based on ethanol mixture. I can't find any documentation on it in the F series PID listings I have, though...
    Very cool. I will look into that once N54 is released.