Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

AR Design N55 downpipe

BMS got their N55 downpipe in, couple photos:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS
    Hey guys,

Newest toy came in and it looks great. Welds are top notch and I had AR throw in bungs for our external wideband and EGT. iPhone photos don't do this thing justice but here you go. I hope to install late this week assuming we get caught up on all our JB4 orders.

I'll be adding them to our site shortly as well.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Nice welds. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Nice welds. Click here to enlarge
    It does look pretty good.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

damn that's a fat downpipe. looks good.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

I got mine last week, still haven't put it in yet. Shop has been jam packed, especially with Dans wreck on the lift while i strip all the goodies out of it.

Next week when I get back from vacation I will put it in and put up some videos..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Next week when I get back from vacation I will put it in and put up some videos..
    Can you do a step by step install for us?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Didn't I read some guy only gained like 3whp on his before and after dyno? Was there something wrong with his car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by M3_WC Click here to enlarge
    Didn't I read some guy only gained like 3whp on his before and after dyno? Was there something wrong with his car.
    The guy seems knowledgeable and thorough so I think everything was in good working order. I also didn't see Terry or AR chime in, so who knows. Either way he said he was still happy with the results.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Juiced46
    Went to the dyno yesterday to see what type of gains I got with the N55 AR downpipe. The results were very surprising to say the least. Obviously this was not done on the same day which will affect results slightly.

Mods before AR DP:
    JB3 Beta Tune
    AMS 3" Catback

Only thing added was the AR Downpipe from the previous dyno session. Also, dont mind on the graph where it says MAP 5, its MAP 1 as the JB3 for the N55 only has one MAP.

Here are the results.

Click here to enlarge

Only a 3whp gain PEAK and a 9wtq loss. However as you can see the car picks up a good 10-25whp above 5500 RPMs, where as before it would fall, but it did nothing for peak #s. All in all, not depressed with the #s, but alittle surprised with the outcome. I absolutely love the sound, and the fact I have more power above 5500, I just wish it would have given more power across the board. IMO I think the 4" DP is just to large for this small of a turbo. I think a 3" or 3.5" (catless) would be perfect to get the TQ #s up and still be able to make more power up top without it falling.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Was the downpipe he got catless?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

^ I'm surprised he didn't say specifically there, but yes, it was catless.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    ^ I'm surprised he didn't say specifically there, but yes, it was catless.
    I just find it odd that going catless would cost torque down low especially on a turbo motor. Maybe 4 inches is too big? I don't know, we need to see more dynos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I just find it odd that going catless would cost torque down low especially on a turbo motor. Maybe 4 inches is too big? I don't know, we need to see more dynos.
    That's what the owner speculated
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    That's what the owner speculated
    But that just leads me to believe when tuned you would want this downpipe to move more air... right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Correct. With a turbo car you can never have too big of a downpipe. Supra guys run 4" downpipes on a 3L engine, what makes this any different?

Peak hp didn't change much prolly due to the fact the car is still making stock like boost up top. If it held 15psi I'm sure we would see 15-25 hp from 5500 on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Correct. With a turbo car you can never have too big of a downpipe. Supra guys run 4" downpipes on a 3L engine, what makes this any different?

Peak hp didn't change much prolly due to the fact the car is still making stock like boost up top. If it held 15psi I'm sure we would see 15-25 hp from 5500 on.
    This is exactly what I'm thinking.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

This. There a huge mid-band gains but he NEEDS A TUNE! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    sales@ardesign.info | tel. 303.351.3515| www.ardesign.info
    Powering some of the world's fastest BMWs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Well he was running a jb3...maybe the flash tune will cure the boost problem.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Hmmmm I thought he dyno'd with stock tune?
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

It says JB3 in the dyno..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Reading > me
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Didnt want to make a new thread so I'm just updating this one with better pictures and some info.

Order here: CLICK

We are thilled to present our new 135i / 335i / 335xi 4" Hi-Flo™ catless downpipe for the BMW N55 engine! The only 4" downpipe currently on the market! In addition to an intoxicating and exotic sound, these downpipes add significant power and virtually eliminate turbo lag!

Our Hi-Flo™ 4" Catless Downpipes Feature:

• The only 4" catless downpipe currently on the market! Built with a carefully made 4" to dual 2.5" collector that mates to the factory style exhaust.
    • Typical gains with tuning in the 20+hp range!
    • 100% hand crafted in the USA from premium 304 Stainless Steel - flanges and O2 bungs included!
    • Water-jet cut 304 Stainless cat-back flanges, and CNC'd 304 Stainless V-Band flange.
    • 100% TIG welded, argon back-purged.
    • Set of our exclusive bomb-proof exhaust gaskets included.
    • Grade 10.9 Metric Hardware (145,000PSI tensile strength, C32-C39 Rockwell, Zinc Plated), and Nord-Lock positive locking re-usable washers included.
    • Factory location O2 bungs, with an added bung for a wideband O2 sensor!
    • Available with a 2000F ceramic coating. Coatings come with a 3 year warranty against corrosion and rust to original owner.
    • Lifetime warranty against any manufacturing defects given to original owner.
    • We do NOT grind/polish our welds as some other manufacturers do. Grinding welds compromises the strength of the weld, and can lead to weld failure! Especially critical in applications exposed to temperatures in excess of 1200F. Such temperatures will also rapidly deteriorate the polished finish.

Attachment 22029
    Attachment 22030
    Attachment 22031

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Back in the office! Give me a call for the best deal around!

-Chris
    Click here to enlarge