Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

MRF Engineering revving the E9X M3 S65 V8 to 9k rpm

The rotating assembly in the BMW M S65 V8 and S85 V10 motors was tested by BMW to 10k rpm. That does not mean the car will continue to make power to 10k rpm only that it is designed to withstand high rpm stress.

Click here to enlarge

MRF Engineering is taking a 4.2 liter S65 they built to 9000 rpm and they claim a naturally aspirated record as well. The problem is their video shows them going to 8650 rpm and they state they hit 8950 in further tuning. Furthermore, there are no dyno results to show the curve.

9k rpm on the S65 is actually nothing new. Xcede in South Africa hit 8800 rpm way back in 2010 and Evolve routinely revved out to ~8800 rpm as well.

The difference is with Schrick cams widely available now building a high revving S65 V8 that makes power past 9000 rpm should be possible. That is what we are hoping to see from MRF Engineering but we will have to wait until they post a dyno proving it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Quoted from Sticky:
    "The problem is their video shows them going to 8650 rpm and they state they hit 8950 in further tuning. "

Then quoted from Sticky:
    "9k rpm on the S65 is actually nothing new. Xcede in South Africa hit 8800 rpm way back in 2010 and Evolve routinely revved out to ~8800 rpm as well."

So......it's a problem if you don't see them hit 9k rpm because they say they did, but then you basically equate 8800 rpm with 9k rpm in your very next sentence...which is it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    So......it's a problem if you don't see them hit 9k rpm because they say they did, but then you basically equate 8800 rpm with 9k rpm in your very next sentence...which is it?
    The problem is they claim to hit 8950 rpm without proving it. Their video shows 8650.

Xcede and Evolve proved hitting over 8800 rpm.

Not sure what you aren't understanding?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The problem is they claim to hit 8950 rpm without proving it. Their video shows 8650.

Xcede and Evolve proved hitting over 8800 rpm.

Not sure what you aren't understanding?
    Where's the proof they hit over 8800? You don't say that in your OP. Why give them credit for it without proof and why say 9k is nothing new when no one seems to have hit 9k, unless rounding is ok for you, but not for others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Where's the proof they hit over 8800? You don't say that in your OP.
    It's literally linked twice in the OP.

Why give them credit for it without proof and why say 9k is nothing new when no one seems to have hit 9k, unless rounding is ok for you, but not for others.
    I said we need proof of THEM hitting close to 9k but showed it has been done in the past multiple times so there is no reason to not believe it.

They specifically say, in the embedded IG post, later on with further tuning they hit 8950.

Better luck next time finding something to $#@! about I guess?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what the DCT is rated at, but the S85 was tested to 10K rpm, but the SMGIII supposedly is rated at 8500rpm.. ( source from the SMGIII tech docs)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's literally linked twice in the OP.
    I said we need proof of THEM hitting close to 9k but showed it has been done in the past multiple times so there is no reason to not believe it.
    They specifically say, in the embedded IG post, later on with further tuning they hit 8950.
    One link had a video that is set to private...the other:
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    9000rpm is easy to do.
    Took our car to 8800rpm. Made power all the way!
    Amazing engine this.
    IG post people say they hit 8950, but no proof.
    So, it sounds to me like no one has hit 9000 rpm...unless we're rounding for some and not for others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    One link had a video that is set to private...the other:
    It's from 2010. I don't even know if they are around tuning any longer. You can read the linked thread if you like. I'm sorry I'm not in control of youtube content from 7 years ago.

IG post people say they hit 8950, but no proof.
    So, it sounds to me like no one has hit 9000 rpm...unless we're rounding for some and not for others.
    If you clicked the SECOND supplemental link provided you would see the data is there.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How extensive is the NA development for the s65? Is it like the Honda's? I know guys are getting over 400whp on the k series NA. It'll be interesting to see what the s65 guys can do with Syvecs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
    How extensive is the NA development for the s65? Is it like the Honda's? I know guys are getting over 400whp on the k series NA. It'll be interesting to see what the s65 guys can do with Syvecs
    I've seen 500whp NA from a K24 lol. Those things are $#@!ing sick. It was 16:1 CR and methanol fuel but still badass.
    Would be cool to see what a max effort NA s65 could do.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There's a badass Civic on Farrah's latest One Take that's making over 400 hp NA, I need something like that. I'm really excited to see how far the S65 and S85 can be pushed NA, I'd love to have my V10 fully built to the max one day, I know Dinah was getting something like 720+ at the crank for the S85s they built for their race cars. And I don't even know how heavily modified their top ends were in those engines.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I've seen 500whp NA from a K24 lol. Those things are $#@!ing sick. It was 16:1 CR and methanol fuel but still badass.
    Would be cool to see what a max effort NA s65 could do.
    Do you have a link or anything to that k24?

im pretty positive a fully built 6.1 stroker s85 can produce 800 whp

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was looking for dynos of P65B4x engines yesterday and read that in unrestricted form they push around 635hp. Not sure what fuel they use for those racing series. If you upped the compression even more and added some e85 i'd bet 700 or more was possible.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
    I don't know if anyone has the NA development Hondas do short of small block Chevy's.

Honda guys enjoy squeezing out as much NA power as they can for fun or as sort of a challenge.

The S65 has NA development but by and large it was just stroker motors: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...n-for-Stroking

They hit 441 whp NA on the stock cams:

Click here to enlarge

With Schrick cams and revving it out, who knows. 500+ WHP should be achievable. Also, higher compression pistons on race gas wouldn't hurt.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don't know if anyone has the NA development Hondas do short of small block Chevy's.

Honda guys enjoy squeezing out as much NA power as they can for fun or as sort of a challenge.

The S65 has NA development but by and large it was just stroker motors: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...n-for-Stroking

They hit 441 whp NA on the stock cams:

https://box.everhelper.me/attachment...nC/screen.jpeg

With Schrick cams and revving it out, who knows. 500+ WHP should be achievable. Also, higher compression pistons on race gas wouldn't hurt.
    I think it's a $ thing too. You can buy parts and short blocks for hondas on a budget. So, it's "easy" to try stuff out. Plus, there are actually a lot of engineers and engineering technicians that $#@! around with hondas. So, you get a good mix of people with the knowledge and access to everything needed to make stuff happen.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think it's a $ thing too. You can buy parts and short blocks for hondas on a budget. So, it's "easy" to try stuff out. Plus, there are actually a lot of engineers and engineering technicians that $#@! around with hondas. So, you get a good mix of people with the knowledge and access to everything needed to make stuff happen.
    So true every Lockheed Martin engineer shows up to an autox event in an s2000 lol
    Click here to enlarge

We some dawgs,We ain't no puppies!
    -Famous Jameis

07 6spd TI ag E92

Mods
    Boostbox, e85, RTD shifter, and a 6766
    #BuiltByHaborFreight

Instagram Oss_Cah5

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Saca135i Click here to enlarge
    Do you have a link or anything to that k24?

im pretty positive a fully built 6.1 stroker s85 can produce 800 whp
    Here you go: http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...aspirated-k24/

10,400 rpm lol. Real cool.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater