Close

Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    124,861
    Rep Points
    35,327.0
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    354


    Yes Reputation No

    MRF Engineering revving the E9X M3 S65 V8 to 9k rpm

    The rotating assembly in the BMW M S65 V8 and S85 V10 motors was tested by BMW to 10k rpm. That does not mean the car will continue to make power to 10k rpm only that it is designed to withstand high rpm stress.

    Click here to enlarge

    MRF Engineering is taking a 4.2 liter S65 they built to 9000 rpm and they claim a naturally aspirated record as well. The problem is their video shows them going to 8650 rpm and they state they hit 8950 in further tuning. Furthermore, there are no dyno results to show the curve.

    9k rpm on the S65 is actually nothing new. Xcede in South Africa hit 8800 rpm way back in 2010 and Evolve routinely revved out to ~8800 rpm as well.

    The difference is with Schrick cams widely available now building a high revving S65 V8 that makes power past 9000 rpm should be possible. That is what we are hoping to see from MRF Engineering but we will have to wait until they post a dyno proving it.


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    -175.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Quoted from Sticky:
    "The problem is their video shows them going to 8650 rpm and they state they hit 8950 in further tuning. "



    Then quoted from Sticky:
    "9k rpm on the S65 is actually nothing new. Xcede in South Africa hit 8800 rpm way back in 2010 and Evolve routinely revved out to ~8800 rpm as well."


    So......it's a problem if you don't see them hit 9k rpm because they say they did, but then you basically equate 8800 rpm with 9k rpm in your very next sentence...which is it?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    124,861
    Rep Points
    35,327.0
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    354



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    So......it's a problem if you don't see them hit 9k rpm because they say they did, but then you basically equate 8800 rpm with 9k rpm in your very next sentence...which is it?
    The problem is they claim to hit 8950 rpm without proving it. Their video shows 8650.

    Xcede and Evolve proved hitting over 8800 rpm.

    Not sure what you aren't understanding?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    -175.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The problem is they claim to hit 8950 rpm without proving it. Their video shows 8650.

    Xcede and Evolve proved hitting over 8800 rpm.

    Not sure what you aren't understanding?
    Where's the proof they hit over 8800? You don't say that in your OP. Why give them credit for it without proof and why say 9k is nothing new when no one seems to have hit 9k, unless rounding is ok for you, but not for others.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    124,861
    Rep Points
    35,327.0
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    354



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    Where's the proof they hit over 8800? You don't say that in your OP.
    It's literally linked twice in the OP.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    Why give them credit for it without proof and why say 9k is nothing new when no one seems to have hit 9k, unless rounding is ok for you, but not for others.
    I said we need proof of THEM hitting close to 9k but showed it has been done in the past multiple times so there is no reason to not believe it.

    They specifically say, in the embedded IG post, later on with further tuning they hit 8950.

    Better luck next time finding something to $#@! about I guess?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    655
    Rep Points
    732.6
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Yes Reputation No
    Not sure what the DCT is rated at, but the S85 was tested to 10K rpm, but the SMGIII supposedly is rated at 8500rpm.. ( source from the SMGIII tech docs)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    -175.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It's literally linked twice in the OP.
    I said we need proof of THEM hitting close to 9k but showed it has been done in the past multiple times so there is no reason to not believe it.
    They specifically say, in the embedded IG post, later on with further tuning they hit 8950.
    One link had a video that is set to private...the other:
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by evolve Click here to enlarge
    9000rpm is easy to do.
    Took our car to 8800rpm. Made power all the way!
    Amazing engine this.
    IG post people say they hit 8950, but no proof.
    So, it sounds to me like no one has hit 9000 rpm...unless we're rounding for some and not for others.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    124,861
    Rep Points
    35,327.0
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    354



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    One link had a video that is set to private...the other:
    It's from 2010. I don't even know if they are around tuning any longer. You can read the linked thread if you like. I'm sorry I'm not in control of youtube content from 7 years ago.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    IG post people say they hit 8950, but no proof.
    So, it sounds to me like no one has hit 9000 rpm...unless we're rounding for some and not for others.
    If you clicked the SECOND supplemental link provided you would see the data is there.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    591
    Rep Points
    1,444.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    How extensive is the NA development for the s65? Is it like the Honda's? I know guys are getting over 400whp on the k series NA. It'll be interesting to see what the s65 guys can do with Syvecs

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,769
    Rep Points
    2,040.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
    How extensive is the NA development for the s65? Is it like the Honda's? I know guys are getting over 400whp on the k series NA. It'll be interesting to see what the s65 guys can do with Syvecs
    I've seen 500whp NA from a K24 lol. Those things are $#@!ing sick. It was 16:1 CR and methanol fuel but still badass.
    Would be cool to see what a max effort NA s65 could do.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,003
    Rep Points
    461.4
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Yes Reputation No
    There's a badass Civic on Farrah's latest One Take that's making over 400 hp NA, I need something like that. I'm really excited to see how far the S65 and S85 can be pushed NA, I'd love to have my V10 fully built to the max one day, I know Dinah was getting something like 720+ at the crank for the S85s they built for their race cars. And I don't even know how heavily modified their top ends were in those engines.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    120
    Rep Points
    180.0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    2


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by subaru335i Click here to enlarge
    I've seen 500whp NA from a K24 lol. Those things are $#@!ing sick. It was 16:1 CR and methanol fuel but still badass.
    Would be cool to see what a max effort NA s65 could do.
    Do you have a link or anything to that k24?

    im pretty positive a fully built 6.1 stroker s85 can produce 800 whp

  13. #13
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    Posts
    3,075
    Rep Points
    3,380.8
    Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    I was looking for dynos of P65B4x engines yesterday and read that in unrestricted form they push around 635hp. Not sure what fuel they use for those racing series. If you upped the compression even more and added some e85 i'd bet 700 or more was possible.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

    Click here to enlarge

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    124,861
    Rep Points
    35,327.0
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    354



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Abacus38 Click here to enlarge
    How extensive is the NA development for the s65? Is it like the Honda's? I know guys are getting over 400whp on the k series NA. It'll be interesting to see what the s65 guys can do with Syvecs
    I don't know if anyone has the NA development Hondas do short of small block Chevy's.

    Honda guys enjoy squeezing out as much NA power as they can for fun or as sort of a challenge.

    The S65 has NA development but by and large it was just stroker motors: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...n-for-Stroking

    They hit 441 whp NA on the stock cams:

    Click here to enlarge

    With Schrick cams and revving it out, who knows. 500+ WHP should be achievable. Also, higher compression pistons on race gas wouldn't hurt.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    2,196
    Rep Points
    -175.0
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I don't know if anyone has the NA development Hondas do short of small block Chevy's.

    Honda guys enjoy squeezing out as much NA power as they can for fun or as sort of a challenge.

    The S65 has NA development but by and large it was just stroker motors: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...n-for-Stroking

    They hit 441 whp NA on the stock cams:

    https://box.everhelper.me/attachment...nC/screen.jpeg

    With Schrick cams and revving it out, who knows. 500+ WHP should be achievable. Also, higher compression pistons on race gas wouldn't hurt.
    I think it's a $ thing too. You can buy parts and short blocks for hondas on a budget. So, it's "easy" to try stuff out. Plus, there are actually a lot of engineers and engineering technicians that $#@! around with hondas. So, you get a good mix of people with the knowledge and access to everything needed to make stuff happen.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    591
    Rep Points
    1,444.2
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    I think it's a $ thing too. You can buy parts and short blocks for hondas on a budget. So, it's "easy" to try stuff out. Plus, there are actually a lot of engineers and engineering technicians that $#@! around with hondas. So, you get a good mix of people with the knowledge and access to everything needed to make stuff happen.
    So true every Lockheed Martin engineer shows up to an autox event in an s2000 lol
    Click here to enlarge

    We some dawgs,We ain't no puppies!
    -Famous Jameis

    07 6spd TI ag E92

    Mods
    Boostbox, e85, RTD shifter, and a 6766
    #BuiltByHaborFreight

    Instagram Oss_Cah5

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,769
    Rep Points
    2,040.6
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    21


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Saca135i Click here to enlarge
    Do you have a link or anything to that k24?

    im pretty positive a fully built 6.1 stroker s85 can produce 800 whp
    Here you go: http://www.enginelabs.com/news/video...aspirated-k24/

    10,400 rpm lol. Real cool.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •