Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Accident lawsuits

Approx. 1 year ago I had an employee allegedly rear end another vehicle while driving a company truck. Here is one of the photos of the damage that allegedly was done.
      Click here to enlarge Spoiler:  
    Click here to enlarge

So what comes of this accident? Now being sued for 6 figures. Just received summons. Amazes me that this kind of thing is allowed. Someone have an anecdote that will make me less disheartened with this entire process? Just unbelievable...
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Suing for 6 figures? On what terms? I understand if there was a neck injury or some kind of serious accident that could cause PTSD but this is nothing. I could do more damage with a shopping cart.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ms335i Click here to enlarge
    Suing for 6 figures? On what terms? I understand if there was a neck injury or some kind of serious accident that could cause PTSD but this is nothing. I could do more damage with a shopping cart.
    medical bills, medical treatment, therapy, shoulder surgery, limitations of physical ability,cessation of many activities previously enjoyed , emotional distress, lost wages. It just goes on and $#@!ing on

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's sad what our legal system has come to. Frivolous bull$#@! like this should be thrown out.

I have little faith in the system doing what is right here though. I remember in college I rented a condo and the owner when I moved out claimed I broke pipes and cut wiring. Complete BS and just an attempt to get out of refunding the security deposit. Since my family had money he felt he could get away with it.

Judge sided with him as I was the privileged white male, what can you do?

This clown is trying to get money for nothing. Let's hope the judge sees it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky2 Click here to enlarge
    It's sad what our legal system has come to. Frivolous bull$#@! like this should be thrown out.
    Actually, I disagree that it should be thrown out. The plaintiff should also be held liable - court costs, lawyer fees (for both parties), punitive damages, etc. In addition, the lawyer who represented them should be held liable too. Too many ambulance chasers who talk the less educated in to pursuing this type of garbage. Until we start to PUNISH this type of BS, it will continue on.

It's one of the things I hope the new administration and congress tackle.

-Rich

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not making me feel better Sticky
    As long as my insurance can settle under my policy max payout amount (half what he's asking but also above 6 figures) then it's fine. Not some bs insurance co with an army guy and a penguin so they should be able to put together a solid legal team. Heed that warning for the cheap insurance policies that are out there.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    @richpike
    That was my first thought, I should be able to counter sue...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    medical bills, medical treatment, therapy, shoulder surgery, limitations of physical ability,cessation of many activities previously enjoyed , emotional distress, lost wages. It just goes on and $#@!ing on
    WOW, I can't believe it. It doesn't add up, the accident and the injuries are not even close to reality. This is complete bull$#@!.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The judge wont let that fly.

Have your lawyer do a discovery on that persons full medical history. Have your insurance lawyers get in and fight it
    2007 BMW 335i Sedan
    Motiv 900 W/PI, Fully Built Engine W/ VAC Stg 3 Head, Solid Mounts - Overrev Roll Cage, IC & Crashbar - Lvl 10 Trans - NX Proton kit - Revshift Flex Disk - DSS Rear Axles - M Factory LSD - Defiv Lock Down Kit - Fuel-It Stage 3 LPFP - Turner Motorsports Solid Subframe Bushings, Wheel Studs - Stoptech SS Brake Lines - DirtKurt AT Trans Cooler Bracket W/ Aubeast Trans Fittings & Setrab 25 Row Cooler
    Coming up: Built DCT Swap

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was on my way home from work one time in stop and go traffic and a Middle Eastern guy nudged into the back of me. He was probably playing on his phone. I look back and he's sitting there pretending like nothing just happened. I had noticed previously that there was a cop in a ghost car right in front of me, so I got out, walked up to the cop car, knocked on the window, and we went and had a conversation with the guy behind me. The guy was $#@!ting his pants and pretending he couldn't speak English the whole time which was actually hilarious. In the end there was about the same amount of damage as in the OP so we all just got back in our cars and kept going. There was no lawsuit because that would just be stupid.

Just out of curiosity OP, what is your maximum insurance coverage? Is insurance still optional in places in the US?
    In Canada we have to have a minimum of 1 million for liability and most people have 2 million just to be safe.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw Click here to enlarge
    I was on my way home from work one time in stop and go traffic and a Middle Eastern guy nudged into the back of me. He was probably playing on his phone. I look back and he's sitting there pretending like nothing just happened. I had noticed previously that there was a cop in a ghost car right in front of me, so I got out, walked up to the cop car, knocked on the window, and we went and had a conversation with the guy behind me. The guy was $#@!ting his pants and pretending he couldn't speak English the whole time which was actually hilarious. In the end there was about the same amount of damage as in the OP so we all just got back in our cars and kept going. There was no lawsuit because that would just be stupid.

Just out of curiosity OP, what is your maximum insurance coverage? Is insurance still optional in places in the US?
    In Canada we have to have a minimum of 1 million for liability and most people have 2 million just to be safe.
    It's a business policy and would rather not get too specific since this non sense is just getting started.
    If the vehicle is owned free and clear then you can opt out of insuring it but liability insurance is required everywhere as far as I know. Coverage is also separated in the policy by property/vehicle/medical etc. At least with my insurer.
    How many Moose would you have to run over to need 2 mill?!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2202 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by richpike Click here to enlarge
    Actually, I disagree that it should be thrown out. The plaintiff should also be held liable - court costs, lawyer fees (for both parties), punitive damages, etc. In addition, the lawyer who represented them should be held liable too. Too many ambulance chasers who talk the less educated in to pursuing this type of garbage. Until we start to PUNISH this type of BS, it will continue on.
    This would be even better but I doubt it will ever happen. It should.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    How many Moose would you have to run over to need 2 mill?!
    Not sure. I haven't hit any yet (a few close calls though).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw Click here to enlarge
    Not sure. I haven't hit any yet (a few close calls though).
    That actually reminded me of a drive I took to the grand canyon a few years back. Pitch black windey road inside the park and a MASSIVE moose standing right in the middle of my lane that I came inches from hitting. I mean this was the biggest damn animal I have ever seen in person that wasn't in a zoo. The girl I was with asked if it was a deer. Yea chick, it was a 1500lb doe.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2202 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The girl I was with asked if it was a deer. Yea chick, it was a 1500lb doe.
    Well, hopefully she was cute. I doubt you were with her for her intellect.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea, she was a baddy but you know the saying, show me a beautiful woman and I'll show you a guy that's tired of f'n her
    Moments like that are the fast forward button of that adage...

Click here to enlarge