Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

BMW M3/M4 S55 engine going into the F87 M2 / M2 CS for 2018 model year?

This is not confirmed but rumors are swirling regarding the S55 engine from the F80 M3 and F82 M4 going into the F87 M2 chassis. This would rectify BMW's mistake as the N55B30T0 motor is somewhat weak and struggles against the new B58 engine.

Click here to enlarge

If you look a the F87 M2 N55B30T0 power curve it just is all low end and the torque quickly drops off. How does that make sense for an M car designed for track use?

The S55 isn't exactly BMW's best top end design but it offers a much broader curve with stronger pull toward redline. It's a better motor.

So what is fueling these S55 into the M2 engine rumors? Spy photos from CAR showing cooling changes that look similar to the S55 cooling system. Not to mention Nurburgring testing from last year of an M2 said to have the S55 under the hood.

It's possible only the CS model will get the S55 motor and the standard M2 will stick with the N55B30T0. If that is the case, the CS will be a much better buy.

We'll know soon enough.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm thinking they might put a s55 in there but I also think they might do a upgraded B58 so they don't undermine the m4/3. Plus with an s55 the price would be the same to an m4 and that would cause another conflict. Knowing BMW and their latest tactics, it's probably going to be the upgraded B58 route.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ms335i Click here to enlarge
    I'm thinking they might put a s55 in there but I also think they might do a upgraded B58 so they don't undermine the m4/3. Plus with an s55 the price would be the same to an m4 and that would cause another conflict. Knowing BMW and their latest tactics, it's probably going to be the upgraded B58 route.
    Yea I was thinking S55 detuned also. Like how Mercedes does it, put the same 6.2L in every chassis but just detune it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by krazi3azn Click here to enlarge
    Yea I was thinking S55 detuned also. Like how Mercedes does it, put the same 6.2L in every chassis but just detune it.
    It's going to be either detuned s55 or b58. I think we might be onto something haha.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It will definitely be detuned (at least on paper) but I doubt they will make hardware changes.

A B58 would be interesting as well.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sucks for the current M2 owners and the $#@!ty N55 they got stuck with....B58 and S55 will surely be the more desirable M2....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    Sucks for the current M2 owners and the $#@!ty N55 they got stuck with....B58 and S55 will surely be the more desirable M2....
    I still wouldn;t mind the N55 with all the glorious sounds it makes. But for me, M cars are more of the suspension dynamics and body than engine

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    673 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'd buy one... As long as it has the same hardware. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I still wouldn;t mind the N55 with all the glorious sounds it makes. But for me, M cars are more of the suspension dynamics and body than engine
    M cars are more for the body than engine? Wha??? Look, I know you're right for the majority of total M owners, but its definitely opposite for the folks on these car forums....engine is WAY more important than the body.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    M cars are more for the body than engine? Wha??? Look, I know you're right for the majority of total M owners, but its definitely opposite for the folks on these car forums....engine is WAY more important than the body.
    Yea I do agree with you also. I meant more so on the side of handling, since even with a fast 135i I still miss the handling of a M3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea I do agree with you also. I meant more so on the side of handling, since even with a fast 135i I still miss the handling of a M3.
    I thought you meant body as in styling! oops, great handling chassis is huge, you're right.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    But for me, M cars are more of the suspension dynamics and body than engine
    The engine is the heart of the M experience. Well, it used to be.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The engine is the heart of the M experience. Well, it used to be.
    The days of the glorious high reving straight 6 engines are gone from BMW unfortunately =\

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could be full power guys but the main factor should be price.

If the car was the same full power engine but the car was $10,000 less than and M4, then what?
    Then again we often see weight reduction projects being priced more than the original car, the original being termed as bloated.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The days of the glorious high reving straight 6 engines are gone from BMW unfortunately =\
    Yes, but the problem is more this than them going turbo: http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.p...-in-production

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I'd buy one... As long as it has the same hardware. Click here to enlarge
    Or me Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, and S63s!

Click here to enlarge
    It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Once this rolls out, same thing BMW is planning to do with the X3 M and X4 M to compete against 400hp Macan Turbo and Benz GLC AMG.

Looking forward to this!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by RobNyc Click here to enlarge
    Once this rolls out, same thing BMW is planning to do with the X3 M and X4 M to compete against 400hp Macan Turbo and Benz GLC AMG.

Looking forward to this!
    So basically an S55 variant into those two as well?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dam, put it in everything. I'll have one while they're at it Click here to enlarge

obviously an M car should be the best of everything. Engine, suspension, styling, the lot but there has been some blurring of the lines.

Also it wasn't just high revving straight sixes. Let's not forget that epic V 10 monster. Musical tones indeed!
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.

FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2240 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    Let's not forget that epic V 10 monster.
    And the V8 based on it...