Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

White smoke from single turbo

So I am working out the kinks of my single turbo set up and the question I have is. What restrictors are you guys using on your setups?. Part numbers will be appreciated. I've tried 2 different size restrictors and I still seem to get a decent puff of white smoke on start up and the car guzzles through oil it seems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Thats weird. Mine smoked but not like that on start up.

Im 62mm bb turbo with .035 restrictor

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Do a leakdown. May be a valve guide.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty sure a leakdown will not reliably expose a bad valve guide seal, or even a worn valve guide. Pulling the turbo and inspecting for leakage might be a batter choice.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The turbo is maybe 30miles old lmao... we took the turbo off today... no leaks.

Turbo is PTE6266

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    It's your drain line. Make sure it's not kinked / restricted in any way
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

Click here to enlarge

Daily - '11 F02, 22" HR springs+links Click here to enlarge N54

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No kinks or restrictions

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Car is going through like damn near a gallon of oil per week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What do the spark plugs look like?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I've been getting the same problem our 135i also. Except it only burns oil on lighter throttle decel. Startup and idle is normally pretty clean as is WOT. Compression is good in the motor so I figured it has to be valve seals or oil control rings. Just living with the issue for now since we don't race the car that often anyway.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If its smoking on start up only, and going through oil, valve guide seals most likely, like 99% likely. Common on these motors, but not talked about a lot. Unfortunately a leak down will absolutely not show a leaky valve guide seal, you basically have to look into the port, not exactly easy with all that stuff on there. Did it do this before the kit was installed?

For you Terry, that sounds like a turbo issue to me, smoking on decel is usually a sign of pulling oil through the turbine end piston ring.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could be but I thought those Garret turbos were supposed to be bulletproof? Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Could be but I thought those Garret turbos were supposed to be bulletproof? Click here to enlarge
    They are great turbos, but any turbo can fail. Reminds me of the mindset that single turbo N54's don't have problems, and all hybrids fail. Perceived perception, not reality.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)

True... Just being lazy with the car. Emailed MOTIV to see if they can get me a larger turbo for it since I've been wanting to play around with the car anyway. Hopefully can get it done before SS we need to finally line up! Payam tells me you're hard at work with yours. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    They are great turbos, but any turbo can fail. Reminds me of the mindset that single turbo N54's don't have problems, and all hybrids fail. Perceived perception, not reality.
    We can vouch for this one. Best guess is there is no one with a forum presence to roast so it just goes unsaid.

To the OP definitely look into your valve cover, gasket, or pcv system though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    I've been getting the same problem our 135i also. Except it only burns oil on lighter throttle decel. Startup and idle is normally pretty clean as is WOT. Compression is good in the motor so I figured it has to be valve seals or oil control rings. Just living with the issue for now since we don't race the car that often anyway.
    if you have the BMW tool, or an old cap cap with a 1/8 npt - barb fitting in it, run some vac line from it to a boost/vac gauge in the cabin and see if you're building pressure in the cc during decel. I have yet to see a single turbo car that doesn't show positive crankcase pressure...minimal, but still positive pressure.
    Stuff n thangs

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    679 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Convert Click here to enlarge
    if you have the BMW tool, or an old cap cap with a 1/8 npt - barb fitting in it, run some vac line from it to a boost/vac gauge in the cabin and see if you're building pressure in the cc during decel. I have yet to see a single turbo car that doesn't show positive crankcase pressure...minimal, but still positive pressure.
    I checked it a few months ago (when I was testing the exhaust scavenge) and it was producing around 1/3psi at 23psi. As a test I put the PCV back to stock and replaced the VC gasket, neither made any difference. I've been wanting a larger turbo on the car anyway so I'll just swap that and go from there.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was also having a smoking issue and I got a lot of suggestions like these. I personally think it was the turbo and my valve cover gasket. I replaced my valve cover gasket and sent my Turbo in to be checked. I plugged my head and went through the entire PCV system made sure all the flapper valve we're working.

I will have my Turbo back on the 20th hopefully to confirm I was correct. If none of that stuff helped me or you we might be in some trouble lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Velocity26 Click here to enlarge
    What do the spark plugs look like?
    Plugs look fine. Then again they're maybe 60miles old

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If its smoking on start up only, and going through oil, valve guide seals most likely, like 99% likely. Common on these motors, but not talked about a lot. Unfortunately a leak down will absolutely not show a leaky valve guide seal, you basically have to look into the port, not exactly easy with all that stuff on there. Did it do this before the kit was installed?

For you Terry, that sounds like a turbo issue to me, smoking on decel is usually a sign of pulling oil through the turbine end piston ring.
    I actually thought of that as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Did you give it enough time for all the excess to burn off after making changes / changing restrictors? 10-15 miles won't cut it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When the car gets to temp the smoke completely stops. No smoke on accel or decel. But it always asks to add oil. Im starting to think the oil level sensor is bad and there is too much oil in the car.. idk.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17 Click here to enlarge
    When the car gets to temp the smoke completely stops. No smoke on accel or decel. But it always asks to add oil. Im starting to think the oil level sensor is bad and there is too much oil in the car.. idk.
    Guessing you have your mid cats?

Well, you can drain it and refill with 6.5 to rule that out. Make sure no kink in drain line by coolant piping / block connection. Very susceptible to get pinched n that area. Also make sure it's not making contact with the manifold VERY IMPORTANT

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge
    Guessing you have your mid cats?

Well, you can drain it and refill with 6.5 to rule that out. Make sure no kink in drain line by coolant piping / block connection. Very susceptible to get pinched n that area. Also make sure it's not making contact with the manifold VERY IMPORTANT
    Yup catback is completely stock

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So it's gone through 1 gallon (4 quarts) in 60 miles?

That isn't a seal problem. Even with no seal I just don't think that much oil can flow (splash/drip) through there ... unless under pressure.

I'll repeat the drain, measure and refill procedure. You may be on the correct path with a sensor error.
    If you where really burning that much, the smoke would not stop even warmed. Infact warm it should get worse, the thinner oil should get to the cylinders faster (rings, PCV, seals, turbo). Part of the reason the smoke goes away warm is the cats are up to temp and burning the residual off, and will clog them over time. But a cat isn't able to burn much oil; no where near 4 quarts in 60 miles IMO.

So something isn't adding up here and it's the volume of oil you've filled that's messing every normal condition.
    Drop the oil, pull the sensor and clean it (your best guess with what), and refill with 6.5.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast