Close

Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Active Autowerke supercharged S54 swapped into E30

    This is the only pic I have of this but I mean, how can a project like this not have more details? Amazing stuff, car is from Dubai:

    Click here to enlarge

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Amazing stuff? I don't agree. First off, what's with the hot air intake? Nothing better on a Supercharged motor than to draw your intake air from DIRECTLY under a hot hood! I like how the FPR is mounted nice and high, with the line draped over the supercharger. Or the sensor hanging off of it - the way the thing is cantilevered it will eventually crack and break. I've seen no less than a dozen fail like that in my career.

    -Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    HELL
    Posts
    2,342
    Rep Points
    768.0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    8


    Reputation: Yes | No
    There's suppose to be a intake pipe leading up to that filter. Nice cold air. Maybe no room in the e30? Just look at how it's setup in a e46m

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Amazing stuff? I don't agree. First off, what's with the hot air intake? Nothing better on a Supercharged motor than to draw your intake air from DIRECTLY under a hot hood! I like how the FPR is mounted nice and high, with the line draped over the supercharger. Or the sensor hanging off of it - the way the thing is cantilevered it will eventually crack and break. I've seen no less than a dozen fail like that in my career.

    -Neel
    Well swapping an S54 into an E30 and supercharging it is amazing. I definitely stand by that.

    The design itself, I'm not sure and I'm not experienced enough on swaps into E30's to comment so I will differ to your experience. From the sound of it, they applied the S54 active kit but it isn't designed with the E30 space in mind so there will be issues as you stated.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Well swapping an S54 into an E30 and supercharging it is amazing. I definitely stand by that.
    Not trying to be a buzzkill but S54 swaps are getting pretty common and the only thing centrifugal superchargers have going for them is they are easy to bolt on. Sure, everyone from Dinan on down has done them but it doesn't make them a great solution. In the world of E30 swaps, this isn't amazing, its underwhelming.

    -Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,278
    Rep Points
    460.0
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    5


    Reputation: Yes | No
    ill take a s38 turbo swap please

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    4,608
    Rep Points
    3,236.6
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    33


    Reputation: Yes | No
    M10 turbo > all
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

    Other people eat shit and die.

    I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.


    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    2,266
    Rep Points
    936.0
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Not trying to be a buzzkill but S54 swaps are getting pretty common and the only thing centrifugal superchargers have going for them is they are easy to bolt on. Sure, everyone from Dinan on down has done them but it doesn't make them a great solution. In the world of E30 swaps, this isn't amazing, its underwhelming.

    -Neel
    what would be an amazing swap then?
    Click here to enlarge

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Not trying to be a buzzkill but S54 swaps are getting pretty common and the only thing centrifugal superchargers have going for them is they are easy to bolt on. Sure, everyone from Dinan on down has done them but it doesn't make them a great solution. In the world of E30 swaps, this isn't amazing, its underwhelming.

    -Neel
    It clearly isn't on the level of putting an S85 in there or anything but still a great swap.

    The S54 is becoming more common but it has been a difficult swap and is on the higher end of difficulty compared to the S50/S52 which has been done to death.

    I'm with you on centrifugals, most use them for ease of packaging and tuning like why we see it here. I have yet to see a different blower solution on the S54 (no positive displacements).

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 600whp S4 Click here to enlarge
    ill take a s38 turbo swap please
    S38 turbo is one of the greatest things one can do with BMW modding and has been done on the E30. A great swap, no doubt.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    It clearly isn't on the level of putting an S85 in there or anything but still a great swap.
    Sorry to be a pest but I just disagree based on that picture. A great swap would have had a bit more attention to detail with respect to the fuel system and air intake. In the world of swaps, this is mediocre.

    What is a great swap? I actually don't think its all about the powertrain you choose. S54, S38 turbo, V10, V12, LS7, they all can be great - if don't with the proper attention to detail. Its attention to detail that's lacking in the swap we're discussing here, and that's my beef with it.

    -Neel
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    Sorry to be a pest but I just disagree based on that picture. A great swap would have had a bit more attention to detail with respect to the fuel system and air intake. In the world of swaps, this is mediocre.
    You are definitely the expert, I just think this is cool to see. I would like to see more pictures and details on it. This is the first time I have seen a supercharged S54 swapped into an E30.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Apex Speed Technology Click here to enlarge
    What is a great swap? I actually don't think its all about the powertrain you choose. S54, S38 turbo, V10, V12, LS7, they all can be great - if don't with the proper attention to detail. Its attention to detail that's lacking in the swap we're discussing here, and that's my beef with it.
    I see your perspective, I am basing my opinion of it being awesome on it being an S54 and then SC'd on top of that. I would like to see more pics and details.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    1
    Rep Points
    11.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

    S54 supercharger

    I'm the owner of the e30 m3 that you have posted a picture of. For those of you that need more inforamtion on this transplant i will post them. The car does have two direct cold air inlets toward the intake. Their is one on the hood that is directly on top of the air filter and one intake from the front towars the airfilter. The air temp is running at 10 degree C with an out sidetemp 7 Celcius, So their isn't that much of hot air circulating in that area. You maybe right regarding the fuel line running on top of the supercharger. This conversion was done in Iran were everything has to be snuck in or you have to pay over 100% customs. The prosses is so long that most people don't bother to do a conversion. Just a s54 engine is fully illegal conversion and it will cost easily $12,000 befor the engine is in your hand. If your caught expect to lose the roof of your car or the car confiscated. You may think their is not enough attention to detail. This conversion was done in a small garage with a limited parts and equipment. If i had a shop like Apex speed Technology and at least 10 year exprience and only a arm lenght distance to parts i'm sure my conversion would be close to Apexs!

    As to the conversion the engine was built with rods, CP piston, schrick cams, Vems engine mangment from Holland, Superspint headers and a full race E46 M3 exhaust straight to the back using the quad exhaust. The Car layed down 608.6hp on the wheels at 1000m elevation with 50% c16 racing fuel. I haven't got a 1/4 mile time as the car will not hook up till 4th gear with semi slick due to our asphalt

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dinom3 Click here to enlarge
    I'm the owner of the e30 m3 that you have posted a picture of. For those of you that need more inforamtion on this transplant i will post them. The car does have two direct cold air inlets toward the intake. Their is one on the hood that is directly on top of the air filter and one intake from the front towars the airfilter. The air temp is running at 10 degree C with an out sidetemp 7 Celcius, So their isn't that much of hot air circulating in that area. You maybe right regarding the fuel line running on top of the supercharger. This conversion was done in Iran were everything has to be snuck in or you have to pay over 100% customs. The prosses is so long that most people don't bother to do a conversion. Just a s54 engine is fully illegal conversion and it will cost easily $12,000 befor the engine is in your hand. If your caught expect to lose the roof of your car or the car confiscated. You may think their is not enough attention to detail. This conversion was done in a small garage with a limited parts and equipment. If i had a shop like Apex speed Technology and at least 10 year exprience and only a arm lenght distance to parts i'm sure my conversion would be close to Apexs!

    As to the conversion the engine was built with rods, CP piston, schrick cams, Vems engine mangment from Holland, Superspint headers and a full race E46 M3 exhaust straight to the back using the quad exhaust. The Car layed down 608.6hp on the wheels at 1000m elevation with 50% c16 racing fuel. I haven't got a 1/4 mile time as the car will not hook up till 4th gear with semi slick due to our asphalt
    Oh wow man, built motor and 600 whp? That is insane for the E30.

    Any more pictures? Thanks for the additional details.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    318
    Rep Points
    399.8
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Reputation: Yes | No
    S54 supercharger

    I'm the owner of the e30 m3 that you have posted a picture of. For those of you that need more inforamtion on this transplant i will post them. The car does have two direct cold air inlets toward the intake. Their is one on the hood that is directly on top of the air filter and one intake from the front towars the airfilter. The air temp is running at 10 degree C with an out sidetemp 7 Celcius, So their isn't that much of hot air circulating in that area. You maybe right regarding the fuel line running on top of the supercharger. This conversion was done in Iran were everything has to be snuck in or you have to pay over 100% customs. The prosses is so long that most people don't bother to do a conversion. Just a s54 engine is fully illegal conversion and it will cost easily $12,000 befor the engine is in your hand. If your caught expect to lose the roof of your car or the car confiscated. You may think their is not enough attention to detail. This conversion was done in a small garage with a limited parts and equipment. If i had a shop like Apex speed Technology and at least 10 year exprience and only a arm lenght distance to parts i'm sure my conversion would be close to Apexs!
    Thanks for the insight. I hope you didn't take my criticism personally; in my career I've seen too many cars destroyed by simple build issues so that's the first thing I notice!
    Neel Vasavada
    Apex Speed Technology
    2947 S Sepulveda Blvd
    Los Angeles, CA 90064
    310.314.2005 (p)
    310.496.0951 (f)
    www.apexspeedtech.com
    info@apexspeedtech.com

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    8
    Rep Points
    23.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dinom3 Click here to enlarge
    I'm the owner of the e30 m3 that you have posted a picture of. For those of you that need more inforamtion on this transplant i will post them. The car does have two direct cold air inlets toward the intake. Their is one on the hood that is directly on top of the air filter and one intake from the front towars the airfilter. The air temp is running at 10 degree C with an out sidetemp 7 Celcius, So their isn't that much of hot air circulating in that area. You maybe right regarding the fuel line running on top of the supercharger. This conversion was done in Iran were everything has to be snuck in or you have to pay over 100% customs. The prosses is so long that most people don't bother to do a conversion. Just a s54 engine is fully illegal conversion and it will cost easily $12,000 befor the engine is in your hand. If your caught expect to lose the roof of your car or the car confiscated. You may think their is not enough attention to detail. This conversion was done in a small garage with a limited parts and equipment. If i had a shop like Apex speed Technology and at least 10 year exprience and only a arm lenght distance to parts i'm sure my conversion would be close to Apexs!

    As to the conversion the engine was built with rods, CP piston, schrick cams, Vems engine mangment from Holland, Superspint headers and a full race E46 M3 exhaust straight to the back using the quad exhaust. The Car layed down 608.6hp on the wheels at 1000m elevation with 50% c16 racing fuel. I haven't got a 1/4 mile time as the car will not hook up till 4th gear with semi slick due to our asphalt
    My hat is off to you , completing such an awesome project in a country where you can't just get on the internet or jump in a car and go buy parts is an accomplishment in itself. Great Job.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,705
    Rep Points
    31,534.9
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Patrón Click here to enlarge
    My hat is off to you , completing such an awesome project in a country where you can't just get on the internet or jump in a car and go buy parts is an accomplishment in itself. Great Job.
    Agreed, I'm very impressed with some of the builds we have been seeing from other countries lately namely ones that don't necessarily have all the resources available to them.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    51
    Rep Points
    50.2
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Nice project! 608whp is very impressive!

    As far the filter location, on a supercharged car it's more efficient to have the filter directly on the blower than it is to have a U-shape pipe routed elsewhere even if it would be sourcing cooler air. I believe AA picked up a couple PSI by having the filter directly on the blower compared to it being mounted in the bumper.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Venice CA
    Posts
    652
    Rep Points
    568.9
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by activ3 Click here to enlarge
    As far the filter location, on a supercharged car it's more efficient to have the filter directly on the blower than it is to have a U-shape pipe routed elsewhere even if it would be sourcing cooler air. I believe AA picked up a couple PSI by having the filter directly on the blower compared to it being mounted in the bumper.
    Are you sure about that?

    Not sure how a blower would make more boost with a different filter location.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    51
    Rep Points
    50.2
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Are you sure about that?

    Not sure how a blower would make more boost with a different filter location.
    Positive. People used to design different intakes to limit boost on centrifugal setups as they moved towards redline. Centrifugal setups are all about flow. They always spin at a designated speed as long as there is no belt slip, so changes in charge piping or in this case the intake pipe will have an effect on the efficiency of the blower. It's like trying to breath through a straw. The larger and less restrictive it is the easier it is and the more you'll be able to take in. It's not as big of an issue with turbo'd cars because they have wastegates that allow them to maintain a static boost pressure, although the turbo would be working harder to provide the same amount of boost if it had more flow restrictions.

    BTW, you gonna be at Mfest this year?

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •