Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

F10 m5 reliability

I'll be soon in the market for a "new" car to me around March. I was looking into a 2014 m5, but am questioning how reliable it is? I'm coming from a fbo e85 2007 335i that I've had since it had 15k miles, and still running strong at 90k miles and no problems besides replacing the water pump. I was wondering what's everyone's experience with how reliable their m5 has been? Looking into a 2014 that will probably be out of warranty soon. Would that be a big risk to own one of these without warranty? What are the big/costly problems that you guys have run into?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    If I was looking for impressive reliability, and I was coming from an N54 car, I'd probably look for something like a (Insert any model year ever here) (Insert any make ever here) (Insert any model ever here).

Can't really be of much help, except to say you can't really get less reliable, so even a 70s Alfa should work.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Aaron Click here to enlarge
    If I was looking for impressive reliability, and I was coming from an N54 car, I'd probably look for something like a (Insert any model year ever here) (Insert any make ever here) (Insert any model ever here).
    This is a very good point.

Regarding your question @justohigh, oil consumption seems to be the main issue with these cars.

Other than that, I'd say go for it!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is the oil consumption for all f10 M5's or is this a hit or miss type of deal?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by justohigh Click here to enlarge
    Is the oil consumption for all f10 M5's or is this a hit or miss type of deal?
    I wish I could say. I don't know.

Someone else will have to chime in.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You know what, let's see if @m5james can shed some light.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would say get a thorough PPI done and when you test drive one pay close attention for blue smoke under hard acceleration or just check the exhaust tips for oil residue. I saw some great deals out there but then had to wonder to myself why is a car so relatively new available for well under 50% it's original price 3-4yrs later.

Click here to enlarge

/
    //A L E X A N D R E 1983 Photography///ALX1983.COM

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2230 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SpeedLimit? Click here to enlarge
    wonder to myself why is a car so relatively new available for well under 50% it's original price 3-4yrs later.
    A lot of these German cars that are expensive new drop like rocks.

Look at what 65 AMG's cost. Some of them are over $200k new...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Oil consumption seems to be a hit or miss thing that comes down to oil weight, outside temps, oil change intervals (I've read most have changed their OBC settings to 10k) or even driving style.

As for overall reliability, I've heard little issues about the S63TU compared to it's predecessor, the S63. I've heard of one rarity of spun bearings and maybe 15 blown engines (broken rods are the weak point), but mind you those are far from stock and are guys pushing the limits, ie past 800hp. If keeping it stock, I'd say you have little you nothing to worry about and should drive it like an ///M car because they prefer to be driven vs pampered.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have been researching this as well and it seems there were some problems on some of the early 2003's, turbo failure, oil pumps, etc. Some pretty nasty stories with endless warranty BS. I couldn't find as many problems on the later 2013's or 2014's but I am sure it is all relative to previous maintenance and how hard it was driven. I would think the earlier ones with problems were either worked out through warranty or recall.

I also read somewhere the earlier F10's had different turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I haven't read about that but you did, so there's that. The only thing I've heard about turbos is wastegate rattle through the exhaust after downpipes...an N54 problem also, but can be fixed via a software flash.

Realoem can verify if turbos changed over the years.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My 2012 M5 has about 50-60,000 km on it and hasn't missed a beat. I daily drive it in the summer and it sees the track occasionally. I would say the standard brakes are not up to hard track use, but unless you're lapping hard for 30+ minutes you'll be ok. I have not yet installed a tune, but have used most/all the available stock performance at least once every single time I've driven the car and oil consumption is not a problem. I'll add a liter between oil changes, but have no concerns with that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GTR-Dad Click here to enlarge
    My 2012 M5 has about 50-60,000 km on it and hasn't missed a beat. I daily drive it in the summer and it sees the track occasionally. I would say the standard brakes are not up to hard track use, but unless you're lapping hard for 30+ minutes you'll be ok. I have not yet installed a tune, but have used most/all the available stock performance at least once every single time I've driven the car and oil consumption is not a problem. I'll add a liter between oil changes, but have no concerns with that.
    This is the type of post I want to hear. I plan to start off with a tune, downpipes, and intake. I went to go look at one today at a local dealership, and am in love with the Monte Carlo blue one they have. It's just too bad the one I looked at is a brand new 2015, which is out of my price range and I don't want to be the one to take the hit on depreciation on these cars. It was mentioned above that these cars have wastegate rattle. Does anyone know if there has been a fix for this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

I already said above that it can be fixed with a flash...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by m5james Click here to enlarge
    I already said above that it can be fixed with a flash...
    Thanks. I didn't read that all the way through.