Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Cardomain site that doesn't blow like Cardomain.com ..

Does anyone know of a site like Cardomain that isn't just littered with Ad's and junk.. Something clean, tasteful, and very simple.. add a few pics, a description, etc..

If one doesn't exist i'm seriously contemplating creating one.. I have the staff to do it and two full racks of IT equipment on each coast for hosting a different site of mine.

Check out about.me , something simple/clean like that would be pretty bad ass huh? Instead of links to twitter/etc you could even link to the forums you participate on and by what handle etc..

Am I off my rocker or would something like that fly? No ad's what so ever.. no cost/fee/subscriptions/etc .. just a simple clean way to showcase your car and share it with others.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Hrm.. seems like about.me is behaving very slowly.. but give it a minute to load.. then choose someone's profile to see what i mean. Obviously instead of some stupid picture of yourself it would be a large picture of your car, and stats about your car instead of a 'biography' about your self.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ZooyorQ Click here to enlarge
    Does anyone know of a site like Cardomain that isn't just littered with Ad's and junk.. Something clean, tasteful, and very simple.. add a few pics, a description, etc..
    You mean like our garage? http://www.bimmerboost.com/garage.php

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Am I off my rocker or would something like that fly? No ad's what so ever.. no cost/fee/subscriptions/etc .. just a simple clean way to showcase your car and share it with others.
    It's hard to say, if you are serious talk to me about it and we can come up with something.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

The garage is quite well executed, but I was thinking something site neutral. Could even have a capability of creating an image you hotlink to for use in forum signatures.. and if you change the signature image on your 'car page' (for lack of a better term) it changes it on all of your forums you participate in.. etc.

I really like clean/simple designs .. no ads, no clutter, simple to use.. no crazy features and bull$#@! just a very easy way to upload/share/store photos/stats/info about your car that you can use on all the forums you participate in or share with friends/family/whoever .. I mean really what Cardomain (aka SoundDomain) was like 7-8 years ago but with way better design and no ads.. and i'm not a huge fan of having conversations on the site, maybe a hidden guest book, or comments type thing but not an actual social network with messagse, and all that. That just gets in the way and makes it cluttered and tacky.

I'm pretty serious about it. I have the funds, and servers and all of that for it.. just don't have the time to oversee it.

Shoot me a PM if you think its something that could have legs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

websites that start out with great implementation and concept often end up as steaming piles of turd after advertisers and jessicas get a hold of them.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    websites that start out with great implementation and concept often end up as steaming piles of turd after advertisers and jessicas get a hold of them.
    Thats very true. CarDomain had at one point 70 employee's and 13.3mil in revenue (according to wikipedia).. i have to imagine that 69 of them were ad sales guys and 1 dude working the pedals..

I wouldn't want to build it to be the next 'facebook'.. or anything even remotely close. I could imagine it having legs and maybe being semi popular with the more advanced tuners and forum goers, but 99% of the turds on Cardomain can stay over there for all I care. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Could even have a capability of creating an image you hotlink to for use in forum signatures.. and if you change the signature image on your 'car page' (for lack of a better term) it changes it on all of your forums you participate in.. etc.
    So a hotlinked image you just replace? You can do now with basically anything.

I really like clean/simple designs .. no ads, no clutter, simple to use.. no crazy features and bull$#@! just a very easy way to upload/share/store photos/stats/info about your car that you can use on all the forums you participate in or share with friends/family/whoever .. I mean really what Cardomain (aka SoundDomain) was like 7-8 years ago but with way better design and no ads.. and i'm not a huge fan of having conversations on the site, maybe a hidden guest book, or comments type thing but not an actual social network with messagse, and all that. That just gets in the way and makes it cluttered and tacky.
    Honestly, just a book of car pictures won't do much. You need to have some interaction, people sharing their stories and you sharing yours. That is what gives it a sense of community and keeps people coming back or else it is just static. The garage we have serves the function you state but it is a very small part of the overall experience here.

I'm pretty serious about it. I have the funds, and servers and all of that for it.. just don't have the time to oversee it.

Shoot me a PM if you think its something that could have legs.
    I think your heart is in the right place but throwing money at something won't build anything worthwhile. Just look at all the car sites that fail on a regular basis, only a small % make it.

I have servers, I have funds, but trying to reinvent the wheel with the cardomain model isn't possible. The time for that has passed, innovation is necessary. Instead of doing what has been done you need to think of how to do something new.

I like what you are saying but it needs more substance.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

I wouldn't want to build it to be the next 'facebook'.. or anything even remotely close. I could imagine it having legs and maybe being semi popular with the more advanced tuners and forum goers, but 99% of the turds on Cardomain can stay over there for all I care
    I have learned something very important, all that matters is volume. People don't care about quality, they really don't, volume. Whatever is easiest to digest and reaches the most amount of people is what will succeed. So simple is a great point, but you need turds to succeed or else it will remain an empty shell.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Its 10pm and I have the flu, and I'm pretty sure I'm drunk on cough syrup.. but you're right.. it needs more.. but sometimes at the same time.. it needs less. Or it needs a means of communication thats less intrusive.. noones going to want to leave their forums, or their 'post count' to talk directly with others on the 'new site' .. but if you could integrate the two experiences a little bit... just thinking out loud.

Just sort of frustrates me that everytime I get a new car I have to find a new forum, build up a base of 'friends' on that site and then maybe 3-4 years later you're in a new car and doing the same thing all over again.

Then again its generally all about the cars, but how can you centralize that experience a bit. Yet still tie it into the forums.. Still thinking outloud.

Its not something I'm serious about yet as I have enough projects on my hands but its something I've wondered about for a year or two.. hoping someone would build a better car domain .. I could create my own site (just for my car), I know CSS/HTML/etc ... Hell it wouldn't look bad either, but thats not ultimately my goal.

Btw, I heard the founder of about dot me built the site in a few months and flipped it for 10mil last month. Thats obviously not my goal either and highly doubtful that would happen but kinda funny how those things work sometimes.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Just sort of frustrates me that everytime I get a new car I have to find a new forum, build up a base of 'friends' on that site and then maybe 3-4 years later you're in a new car and doing the same thing all over again.
    What you need is a forum that grows with you, remembers you, and takes into account all your past participation. Welcome to *boost.com

Btw, I heard the founder of about dot me built the site in a few months and flipped it for 10mil last month. Thats obviously not my goal either and highly doubtful that would happen but kinda funny how those things work sometimes.
    Flipping is popular and that is the high side but yep, it can be done. I can explain how but... well, I'm kind of working toward building my network up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

You should build the 'garage' but maybe as its own seperate entity thats more neutral? Like GarageBoost.com

Btw, love your forums, very clean and obviously well thought out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Btw, love your forums, very clean and obviously well thought out.
    Well, if I do say so myself, best layout of any forum and the most logical.

You should build the 'garage' but maybe as its own seperate entity thats more neutral? Like GarageBoost.com
    I think that can be done, make the garage the front page on a different domain. Not a bad idea...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Oh and can you cross post on your forums? ie could I post on Benzboost as myself and carry my post count over? Know what I mean? If so thats genius.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Oh and can you cross post on your forums? ie could I post on Benzboost as myself and carry my post count over? Know what I mean? If so thats genius.
    Yes you can Click here to enlarge

And yes, it is genius Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

You can cross dress here too...

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Yes you can Click here to enlarge

And yes, it is genius Click here to enlarge

Don't act like you came up with the idea.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Click here to enlarge
    Don't act like you came up with the idea.
    Never said I did? I was smart enough to implement it though and I don't see anybody else doing it on VB 4, do you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Never said I did? I was smart enough to implement it though and I don't see anybody else doing it on VB 4, do you?
    I'm on a vbulletin sports forum that uses it.

Just saying, it wasn't "genius".

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Stahlgrau Click here to enlarge
    I'm on a vbulletin sports forum that uses it.

Just saying, it wasn't "genius".
    Is it a VB 4 forum?

Well, I disagree, having the foresight to set it up this way from the beginning is pretty smart.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Al Gore came up with it you newb.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is what you're looking for. It's not quite ready yet, but sign up and we'll notify you when YOU PERSONALLY can have the chance to try it in a private beta and advise us on what we should do next. We're car guys just like you, help us finish this. Private beta launches March 28th, sign up now and we'll let you in; first come, first serve.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by copperbeech1 Click here to enlarge
    is what you're looking for. It's not quite ready yet, but sign up and we'll notify you when YOU PERSONALLY can have the chance to try it in a private beta and advise us on what we should do next. We're car guys just like you, help us finish this. Private beta launches March 28th, sign up now and we'll let you in; first come, first serve.
    Sorry, no advertising.

If you want to partner with us, e-mail administrator@bimmerboost.com

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry, no harm intended!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Sticky.. I know a site that maybe you can work with.. Let me know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast