Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Battery replacement F series

I am hoping that I can get some help from anyone familiar with replacing a battery on an F series ( F25 2011 X3) . My battery is 90ah 900CCA , 160 RC and there are two choices I have found. Of course OEM is about $270 msrp and the Walmart H8 series is lead acid which obviously would need coding/registering.

I can find multiple threads on E series but nothing really on F series. Dealer is saying 1:15 min an $160 and Korman auto is $60 for 30 min. I know it doesn't take long at all to do this but I still hate to fork over money I don't need to to dealers/Indy if there is a simple process.

Is there anyone who has done it on an android device app, or windows based application for F series successfully and can link me the details ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ///MPOSTER Click here to enlarge
    I am hoping that I can get some help from anyone familiar with replacing a battery on an F series ( F25 2011 X3) . My battery is 90ah 900CCA , 160 RC and there are two choices I have found. Of course OEM is about $270 msrp and the Walmart H8 series is lead acid which obviously would need coding/registering.
    I can find multiple threads on E series but nothing really on F series. Dealer is saying 1:15 min an $160 and Korman auto is $60 for 30 min. I know it doesn't take long at all to do this but I still hate to fork over money I don't need to to dealers/Indy if there is a simple process.

Is there anyone who has done it on an android device app, or windows based application for F series successfully and can link me the details ?
    It appears carly added F series support not sure if it includes your particular F model.
    I would email support. You should be able to buy the app and adapters for close to the price of the indie (assuming X3 is supported)

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1171861
    Last edited by Optigrab; 01-12-2017 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Speling

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    just got this email definitely good to go now

NEW: CARLY FOR BMW - UPDATE:

Battery registration:

• now available for all F models

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Are you using a generic wifi adapter or their own adapter? I'm curious as other people have stated they are moving away from Carly because there are other tools that can do so much more. The schwaben/BMW tool can do the registering, can read codes, help with ABS brake bleeding, enter new values for injectors, so on.

when looking at Carly , it's $79 for the adapter in Amazon and $45 for the iPhone app on iTunes . So $124 total. I'm thinking of forking over for a schwaben/BMW hand tool now for $199. I could probably make my money back just doing battery registration or injector coding for a few people over the course of a year.

Either way way the dealer is a rip as they quoted $165 and $195 on two different days. It takes almost no time with Carly or the BMW tool.

Also so forgot to find out if I could do regular lead acid versus AGM. Or change 90ah to 92ah with Carly .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh yeah and even after that it's still an in app purchase of $9.99 for the registration . I feel like they should give one thing free after buying their overpriced wifi adapter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Using the carly for android adapter.

Carly definitely does not have the full capabilities of a scan tool or the other available bmw tools. As far as I am aware you should be able to do full battery coding. You would choose the type an the size closest to what you put in the car. Pricey and limited but not really much of leaning curve. They state certain functions are not available with 3rd party adapters but don't tell you which functions.

I think its a great value compared to going to the dealer. Definitely not the most capable or cheapest considering you can get INPA for free and just need to buy a cable. You would have the app for life assuming they stay in business. Really depends on your needs,wants and time considerations.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I did read the F series requires the OBD to Ethernet cable. Good god I do not need another cable. I already bought two dkan cables because I thought one didn't work. Plus all the android tablets when trying to get MHD running on the E92.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Its possible but that does not sound correct. The E series you can do everything with the wireless adapters or a USB dcan cable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sorry I meant in reference to INPA for free and I just needed a cable .

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Optigrab I should have listened to you for the Carly registration. I purchased the Foxwell NT510BMW tool and although it has a lot of menus for the F25 , it is missing the registering of the battery. They will get back to me but pretty sure it won't be done when I need it. I guess it will be more of a tool for my E92 instead as it can bleed ABS and code injectors. I may make some vids or take screen shots of the menus.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    FWIW I have the carly and an E90 and 2012 E70 X5 and have coded/registered batteries etc. on both using a basic $20 amazon wifi adaptor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Proflyer Click here to enlarge
    FWIW I have the carly and an E90 and 2012 E70 X5 and have coded/registered batteries etc. on both using a basic $20 amazon wifi adaptor.

Could you provide the link of the one that you used? I also read from other threads that they are starting to code out the linking of the app to other adapters. But as of yesterday , someone else posted that they had to change some settings to a slower read/write and the app worked. So since I have not yet messed around with it, I can't comment on how to do what they did.

I am also thinking of creating a document for the NT510 for the E92 for all the menus based on what you want to do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Optigrab I should have listened to you for the Carly registration. I purchased the Foxwell NT510BMW tool and although it has a lot of menus for the F25 , it is missing the registering of the battery. They will get back to me but pretty sure it won't be done when I need it. I guess it will be more of a tool for my E92 instead as it can bleed ABS and code injectors. I may make some vids or take screen shots of the menus.
    Interesting...its all a trade off on features with the aftermarket tools. Since i always have my phone with me and i keep the adapter in the dash it tipped the scales for me for carly.

I'm Jealous that you can code injectors need to get my inpa up and running.

On another note I just realized MHD added battery registration for E series. You cant change the type of battery or size but it does reset the install date.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Could you provide the link of the one that you used? I also read from other threads that they are starting to code out the linking of the app to other adapters. But as of yesterday , someone else posted that they had to change some settings to a slower read/write and the app worked. So since I have not yet messed around with it, I can't comment on how to do what they did.

I am also thinking of creating a document for the NT510 for the E92 for all the menus based on what you want to do.
    I can't find the one I bought, sorry, but it was on amazon. Just not there anymore as this was a few years ago now. I do know that it works much better if you turn the write/read speed down a lot. It's not a ton of data I don't think so it's not like it takes forever anyway. Maybe 3 minutes to load a whole bunch of coding changes? The battery stuff is almost instant to change. I'm not sure what's special about the new Carly adaptor, but I can't imagine they make it themselves, you might be able to find one withe similar speed specs for less. I did just see the gen 2 Carly for $60 though which is pretty cheap given what you get.