Close

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    602
    Rep Points
    906.7
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10


    Yes Reputation No

    Turbo install, difficulty?

    Hi guys,
    How difficult is it to install the new twin turbos on an n54? My car is an e92 335i, DCT. Is it something any good mechanic can do?

    I've got 2 options in my area. A garage that has worked on all kinds of cars. Hondas, Scoobies, evos and some older BMWs or a garage that has done 335s before but charge twice as much.

    The first, cheaper garage, has experience of engine rebuilds and turbo upgrades but they haven't worked on a 335 before.

    I'm supplying all parts so it's a case of paying labor.

    One is around $500, the other $900

    So on a 1 to 10 scale. How difficult is the job and how much does experience help?

    Thanks
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.

    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    153
    Rep Points
    537.1
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    6


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Difficulty - 6
    Experience working on the cars would definitely make it faster, but if they follow proper turbo install procedures it shouldn't be an issue.

    Replace all your o-rings, clean really well or replace all your coolant / oil lines, circulate the oil through the turbos before firing car up (unplug fuel pump fuse and turn car over for a minute), monitor oil pressures, and inspect for leaks before driving and after a test drive.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    602
    Rep Points
    906.7
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by weebles Click here to enlarge
    Difficulty - 6
    Experience working on the cars would definitely make it faster, but if they follow proper turbo install procedures it shouldn't be an issue.

    Replace all your o-rings, clean really well or replace all your coolant / oil lines, circulate the oil through the turbos before firing car up (unplug fuel pump fuse and turn car over for a minute), monitor oil pressures, and inspect for leaks before driving and after a test drive.
    Thanks

    so pull the lpfp fuse. Will that make it just crank over? That's the 20a fuse number 70 I believe.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.

    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    29
    Rep Points
    76.8
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Don't think of it as paying twice as much. Think of it as paying $400 for peace of mind that the people working on your car know the platform and the quirks.

    My opinion is, if you are just replacing the alternator, the shop doesn't matter. If you are replacing something specific to the platform, go with the shop that knows the platform
    335is DCT
    DCI, silicone driver side intlets, charge pipe, BOV, DP, MHD

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Flexing in the mirror
    Posts
    836
    Rep Points
    1,842.4
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    Yes Reputation No
    Any experienced shop can do them. Nothing space age about the N54 turbos. If they have a bentley manual they can probably knock out in a day or two.
    The only thing I would mention to them is the oil drains have a tendency to kink and to be mindful of them.
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

    Click here to enlarge

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    99
    Rep Points
    245.6
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    $#@!, if I could have had it done by someone with experience for 900 I would have instead of doing it myself!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    602
    Rep Points
    906.7
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    So the fixed price for the cheaper shop is $610. In the past they've done Ford Cosworth engines ip to 900 BHP.
    I'm not too keen on the shop with experience for a couple of reasons. Mainly the owner.

    The money saved could go towards my 900 ft lbs clutch pack. Click here to enlarge
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.

    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    226
    Rep Points
    219.9
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think you're crazy to let a shop that has never seen a 335i change your turbos. Nothing about building a 900hp Cosworth engine applies to changing 335i turbos, except for righty tighty lefty loosey.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    jebi se
    Posts
    340
    Rep Points
    1,008.4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    For a shop I would say the difficulty is a 4-5 at the maximum. With a 1 being an oil change and a 10 being rebuilding a newer automatic transmission.

    Honestly with a lift you could swap turbos in a few hours...

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Flexing in the mirror
    Posts
    836
    Rep Points
    1,842.4
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    19


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AWSAWS Click here to enlarge
    So the fixed price for the cheaper shop is $610. In the past they've done Ford Cosworth engines ip to 900 BHP.
    I'm not too keen on the shop with experience for a couple of reasons. Mainly the owner.

    The money saved could go towards my 900 ft lbs clutch pack. Click here to enlarge
    Save the money. If you're not wrenching on your own N54, you are going to need it.
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

    Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    602
    Rep Points
    906.7
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ferocity02 Click here to enlarge
    I think you're crazy to let a shop that has never seen a 335i change your turbos. Nothing about building a 900hp Cosworth engine applies to changing 335i turbos, except for righty tighty lefty loosey.
    I think if you've fitted turbos to other cars and turbo charged non-turbo cars then it's a good grounding to have.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.

    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    jebi se
    Posts
    340
    Rep Points
    1,008.4
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ferocity02 Click here to enlarge
    I think you're crazy to let a shop that has never seen a 335i change your turbos. Nothing about building a 900hp Cosworth engine applies to changing 335i turbos, except for righty tighty lefty loosey.
    I would rate changing the turbos on the N54 about the same difficulty as changing sparkplugs on a Subaru and easier than the headgaskets. He will be fine...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Sunny South Africa
    Posts
    44
    Rep Points
    41.0
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    my choice would be to send it to the cheaper garage.. there is nothing extraordinary about changing turbos on an N54, sure it is not quick replacement but it isn't rocket science. it all comes down to the level of OCD the tech who is working on job is willing to take. gaskets must be cleaned, O-rings replaced, bolts/nuts tightened to spec, some care on the oil returns as mentioned earlier and your good to go...

    if your really concerned then book the day of and watch them work.
    E92 335i DCT Euro Spec
    |RB turbo old gen|Jb4 G5|3" DP's|WT Cooler|ER Charge pipe|Tial BOV|CM Meth Kit|Dual CM7 nozzle|BMS cowl filter|AFE intakes+scoops|BMS low temp oil thermo|Custom flash + coding|HnR Springs|M3 Control arm kit + H&R + Koni|LED Angel eyes+plate lights|

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Derbyshire, UK
    Posts
    602
    Rep Points
    906.7
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    10



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kish2604 Click here to enlarge
    my choice would be to send it to the cheaper garage.. there is nothing extraordinary about changing turbos on an N54, sure it is not quick replacement but it isn't rocket science. it all comes down to the level of OCD the tech who is working on job is willing to take. gaskets must be cleaned, O-rings replaced, bolts/nuts tightened to spec, some care on the oil returns as mentioned earlier and your good to go...

    if your really concerned then book the day of and watch them work.
    2 days Click here to enlarge
    They've booked it in for 16 hours work. Still cheaper than the BMW guy I know.

    It's likely they will hand me some money back if it takes them less time. That's what they did when they worked on my brothers Civic.

    Really nice guys. I can see one of them selling his Scooby and getting a 335i when he drives mine.
    Best:11.79@119mph on stock turbos.

    FBO+Meth Port injection, GC Turbos, fuel-it stage2, JB4, Trebila flash.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •