Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Standing kilometer drag race between the McLaren 540C, Acura NSX, and Nissan GTR

The McLaren 540C is the entry level McLaren. It is not sold in the USA despite McLaren originally stating they would. Rather, in the USA the 570S is the entry level model and we know how potent the car is in the 1/4 mile running 10.2 @ 135 in stock form.

Click here to enlarge

The less powerful 540C will not be this quick or fast but it still offers 533 horsepower and a curb weight roughly 700 pounds less than the two Japanese vehicles it will be racing. Part of the weight advantage is due to being rear wheel drive and the rest can be attributed to the lightweight carbon fiber tub.

Click here to enlarge

The NSX and GTR get a lead off the line which is to be expected on the damp surface. The 540C pulls much harder up top though and easily makes up the ground and passes:

Click here to enlarge

Why exactly would one bother with the NSX over the McLaren? It is more expensive, heavier, and slower. Honda got the NSX recipe wrong.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The NSX performed well for what it is and always has been... "the affordable (relative) & reliable super car"

It wasn't faster than the F355 or F360 back then and its not faster than a F488 now; or a Mac540/570/ or R8 and maybe not even an AMG GT-R...I haven't looked it up...anyone know?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Although expensive, the NSX does turn pretty damn well. I don't think there will ever be a super car killer like the GTR, for the money. I'd like to see NSX Laguna Seca times vs the GTR though.
    2011 335is DCT, looking for new car friends in Italy.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    Although expensive, the NSX does turn pretty damn well. I don't think there will ever be a super car killer like the GTR, for the money. I'd like to see NSX Laguna Seca times vs the GTR though.
    The NSX can't even top the Corvette Grand Sport.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bowser330 Click here to enlarge
    The NSX performed well for what it is and always has been... "the affordable (relative) & reliable super car"
    It no longer is that though. It's now heavy, expensive, and complex.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    It no longer is that though. It's now heavy, expensive, and complex.
    James May just reviewed it on GT and loved it. They did a lap around their track with it but it was raining.... So no real comparison to the other cars they've driven on it, which would have been cool because they've at an M4 GTS around the track along with an M2 and some other cars. No listed Nurbergring times for the NSX either.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bigdnno98 Click here to enlarge
    James May just reviewed it on GT and loved it. They did a lap around their track with it but it was raining.... So no real comparison to the other cars they've driven on it, which would have been cool because they've at an M4 GTS around the track along with an M2 and some other cars. No listed Nurbergring times for the NSX either.
    I'm sure it's a pretty impressive car it's just not what the NSX originally was and is a bit of a disappointment performance wise for the money.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm sure it's a pretty impressive car it's just not what the NSX originally was and is a bit of a disappointment performance wise for the money.
    True. It's a lot of money for sure.....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    2017 Nissan GTR = 109,900 Base Price
    2017 Acura NSX = $157,800 Base Price
    2017 Porsche 911 Turbo = 159,200 Base Price

Affordability is a true let down....for the price I would have expected more power and/or less weight....
    How it is that this Honda weighs nearly the same as a GTR, has nearly the same power as the GTR but costs $48K more? Sure i get that its a hybrid and has all that tech but Honda has had hybrid tech for awhile so they should be able to integrate it economically.

It's true that new NSX more complex than its predecessor and most of its competitors, however that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be more reliable than them.....we will just have to wait and see....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It's true that new NSX more complex than its predecessor and most of its competitors, however that doesn't necessarily mean it won't be more reliable than them....
    Part of what made the NSX special and reliable was its simplicity. Manual trans, RWD, and a light curb weight.

They completely missed it IMO.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Part of what made the NSX special and reliable was its simplicity. Manual trans, RWD, and a light curb weight.

They completely missed it IMO.
    Acura decided to go another way with the platform...a way a lot of other car makers are going (next gen GTR to be hybrid, Audi Rs4 to use electric turbo) its happening whether the purists like it or not...

Those buyers looking for the simple, manual, RWD, lightweight performance car should go buy a C6 Z06 or if they want a new car the C7 grand sport...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Those buyers looking for the simple, manual, RWD, lightweight performance car should go buy a C6 Z06 or if they want a new car the C7 grand sport...
    That would work if those were mid-engine cars but they are not. The NSX is associated with being a daily driven exotic and at the time the mid-engine layout was associated with Ferraris and Lamborghinis.

Since then cars like the 718 have come along but you are right that Acura decided to go in a different direction. I disagree with the direction.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mid-engine doesn't mean much when you have a dialed-in front engine car like the C7 grand sport...Didn't you have an article showing how well it did in some multi-car match-up?

If its people just wanting mid-engine to have one then the Cayman S provides them that...

NSX base MSRP was $89K in 2005 (last gen)
    Cayman S base MSRP was $54K in 2006

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mid-engine doesn't mean much when you have a dialed-in front engine car like the C7 grand sport...Didn't you have an article showing how well it did in some multi-car match-up?
    I do not disagree. I'm saying a mid-engine layout is associated with exotic cars. The NSX was supposed to be the reliable, affordable, daily exotic.

A Corvette is not an NSX replacement.
    If its people just wanting mid-engine to have one then the Cayman S provides them that...
    Yes, sure, or a Toyota MR2 maybe? The thing is those were never considered exotics. They moved mid-engine layouts downmarket.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ummm Mr2? please try to stay in the same stratosphere of performance....

The cayman S was as good if not better than the NSX in all categories. Performance, interior, etc.

So if exotic only means price? then yah, i guess the NSX was an exotic.

NSX looked better though!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2277 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ummm Mr2? please try to stay in the same stratosphere of performance....
    I'm trying to point out mid-engined cars were available at various price points of entry after the NSX.

The cayman S was as good if not better than the NSX in all categories. Performance, interior, etc.
    Sure. It came around a lot later too.

So if exotic only means price? then yah, i guess the NSX was an exotic.
    No. The NSX was aimed at Ferrari. Keep in mind it was developed in 1990.