Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Single Turbo N54 Tuning options

Hello, as the title says, I currently have JB4 and MHD backend with a trebilia custom tune. Im in the process of going with a single turbo setup and i gotta say im not the biggest fan in JB4 much anymore, not because i think its not a good unit, but on upgraded twins i wasnt much a fan of the inconsistency with misfires and would like to spend more time driving vs changing spark plugs and coil packs. So with that said what are some good alternatives for tuning. Cant say im high on cobb neither but it is an option i guess. I would love to have something with a mild pump gas tune for daily driving and a E85 map for whenever i decide to go to the track or whenever i meet up with others for those spirited competitions in mexico lol...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    JB4 has nothing to do with misfires and is the best, easiest, and least expensive way to tune a single turbo.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Grand_hustle17 Click here to enlarge
    Hello, as the title says, I currently have JB4 and MHD backend with a trebilia custom tune. Im in the process of going with a single turbo setup and i gotta say im not the biggest fan in JB4 much anymore, not because i think its not a good unit, but on upgraded twins i wasnt much a fan of the inconsistency with misfires and would like to spend more time driving vs changing spark plugs and coil packs. So with that said what are some good alternatives for tuning. Cant say im high on cobb neither but it is an option i guess. I would love to have something with a mild pump gas tune for daily driving and a E85 map for whenever i decide to go to the track or whenever i meet up with others for those spirited competitions in mexico lol...
    Mhd flash, manual boost controller, fuel controller if needed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    JB4 has nothing to do with misfires and is the best, easiest, and least expensive way to tune a single turbo.
    Really?. Myself and mechanics have proven this not so true but without getting defensive and or offensive, what are other options?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    668 Post(s)

Really?. Myself and mechanics have proven this not so true but without getting defensive and or offensive, what are other options?
    Yes, really. Whether you use a JB4, flash, or some other system to tune, misfires are generally caused by faulty hardware like plugs, coils, and injectors. Made worse by trying to get more than stock power out of the motor. There isn't anything the JB4 or any other tuning can do to trigger misfires unless the tuning is just way off and you'll have a lot more problems than misfires then.

Regarding single tuning options there are alternatives to the JB4 but they come with serious trade offs. It's been discussed ad-nauseum in many threads before. When boredom strikes I'll link you to one of many previous discussions. People who elect not to run the JB4 single turbo normally wind up switching back sooner or later so feel free to explore the options. You'll be back. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Yes, really. Whether you use a JB4, flash, or some other system to tune, misfires are generally caused by faulty hardware like plugs, coils, and injectors. Made worse by trying to get more than stock power out of the motor. There isn't anything the JB4 or any other tuning can do to trigger misfires unless the tuning is just way off and you'll have a lot more problems than misfires then.

Regarding single tuning options there are alternatives to the JB4 but they come with serious trade offs. It's been discussed ad-nauseum in many threads before. When boredom strikes I'll link you to one of many previous discussions. People who elect not to run the JB4 single turbo normally wind up switching back sooner or later so feel free to explore the options. You'll be back. Click here to enlarge
    Well said.
    Click here to enlarge

e92 335xi 2.0
    Pure 2 Turbos
    Fueling by Fuel-It
    TFT Inlet System

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    MHD and custom tune is by far cheaper than jb4
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Dave@Fuel-It! Click here to enlarge
    Well said.
    Is there a time it wasnt?? Lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jt0407 Click here to enlarge
    MHD and custom tune is by far cheaper than jb4
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There are many ways to control boost on a ST setup. The boost box will be out soon, allowing for the DME to control a single turbo natively. You can even tune it on spring pressure, but that's not ideal. You can use any number of aftermarket controllers depending on what else you may need, from cheap to expensive. The Haltech platinum sport is overkill but can drive injectors, boost, additional LPFP circuits, meth, nitrous etc; it can virtually run the car. That being said, the JB4 probably wasn't the cause of the misfires.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Hmm. Just without it there was no misfire.. with the saaaame coil packs and spark plugs but if you guys say so lmao... lets not focus on that part. I can delete it if it makes everyone feels better..

I have seen that haltech thing but thats way too much than what i care for. Im not aiming for a record or some sort of glory number, i migh be the only person who went single turbo with no actual power goals but simply because i dont trust any twin setup on the market and dont want to go through the headache nomore with those. I just want decent power and not a perfectly fine car for 10 WOT pulls then misfire lmfao. I have literally 10 coilpacks on standby.. not the life i want to live anymore Click here to enlarge. Just want a not so basic but also not some over complicating life creating tuning device lol. I like jd4 but im open to trying others as well. I may very well stick with jb4 i dont hate it but i cant honestly say ive grown to be more a fan than i was.. slightly less if you ask me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    There are many ways to control boost on a ST setup. The boost box will be out soon, allowing for the DME to control a single turbo natively. You can even tune it on spring pressure, but that's not ideal. You can use any number of aftermarket controllers depending on what else you may need, from cheap to expensive. The Haltech platinum sport is overkill but can drive injectors, boost, additional LPFP circuits, meth, nitrous etc; it can virtually run the car. That being said, the JB4 probably wasn't the cause of the misfires.
    That boost box thing sounds very interesting. Ill try to look it up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I gotta tell you jb4 with mhd backend flash has been treating me well with my single turbo and Terrys and Steves support has been amazing when issues arise. When Terry adjusts the scale for off-throttle AFRs to go higher then 20 jb4 will make me just as happy as Cobb did when I first bought the car.

Regarding the boost box thing, I was supposed to receive a beta kit but for some reason the company offering it stopped responding to my messages. So don't get your hopes up like I did.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hmm. Just without it there was no misfire.. with the saaaame coil packs and spark plugs but if you guys say so lmao... lets not focus on that part. I can delete it if it makes everyone feels better..
    Was the boost/fuel/timing the same with and without the JB4?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yea i see it for the neon SRT4 just by reading i liked the simplicity of the boostbox..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ms335i Click here to enlarge
    I gotta tell you jb4 with mhd backend flash has been treating me well with my single turbo and Terrys and Steves support has been amazing when issues arise. When Terry adjusts the scale for off-throttle AFRs to go higher then 20 jb4 will make me just as happy as Cobb did when I first bought the car.

Regarding the boost box thing, I was supposed to receive a beta kit but for some reason the company offering it stopped responding to my messages. So don't get your hopes up like I did.

I was lucky enough to beta test. Boost onset is as smooth and linear as factory if not more so. It's one of those "any day now" hardware releases. The JB4 has a great resale market regardless. Easy to pick a used one up, run it, then be able to sell it if a switch was in mind.
    2010 N54 - DocRace - Motiv - CKI - TCKR - Volk - ER - CSF - Vorsteiner

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    The Haltech platinum sport is overkill but can drive injectors, boost, additional LPFP circuits, meth, nitrous etc; it can virtually run the car.

How about a Cosworth MQ12 Click here to enlarge

I'll keep dreamin

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)

Thread title edited to reflect single turbo tuning options.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R.G. Click here to enlarge

I'll keep dreamin
    Merkur people... Yeesh

You could probably get that anvil running on a wrist watch hooked up to a Dixie cup full of Bacon grease.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I was lucky enough to beta test. Boost onset is as smooth and linear as factory if not more so. It's one of those "any day now" hardware releases. The JB4 has a great resale market regardless. Easy to pick a used one up, run it, then be able to sell it if a switch was in mind.
    Good to know, would have been nice to try out. At this point I'll be sticking with the jb4 and marketing it up, simply because the level of support cannot be matched. Do you get any post shift timing corrections? Post some logs, it might make the op make up his mind.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Zero post shift timing corrections. Too lazy to confirm if any NDA issues regarding logs but the product will speak for it self once released. Once it gets released you'll have the JB4 guys and the flash only guys like always.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

I'll keep dreamin
    And after realizing a cosworth mq12 isn't a reference to the cosworth mk1 and mk2 community, I had a chance to read about that beautiful box. Thank you sir.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

I have seen that haltech thing but thats way too much than what i care for. Im not aiming for a record or some sort of glory number, i migh be the only person who went single turbo with no actual power goals but simply because i dont trust any twin setup on the market and dont want to go through the headache nomore with those. I just want decent power and not a perfectly fine car for 10 WOT pulls then misfire lmfao. I have literally 10 coilpacks on standby.. not the life i want to live anymore Click here to enlarge. Just want a not so basic but also not some over complicating life creating tuning device lol. I like jd4 but im open to trying others as well. I may very well stick with jb4 i dont hate it but i cant honestly say ive grown to be more a fan than i was.. slightly less if you ask me.
    The reason for the misfires being with JB4 and not without it is because of the bump in power. Like Terry said earlier when you try to get more power out of the motor the components that need replacing will show quicker. If you ditch the JB4 and try a flash only tune making the same power you'll still have those same misfires and need to replace whatever it is that needs replacing.

In regards to tuning for single turbo I think JB4 and MHD is the best option AS OF NOW. I have no clue how the boost box can change that but at least for me the JB4 will still be my choice since it controls my PI as well as boost. I've ran many tunes on this car from JB4 only, JB4 w/ backend stock turbos, cobb, cobb protune, MHD, MHD w/ protune, etc... For non-single turbo my go to choice is flash only and I loved the consistency with flash only. For single turbo as of right now I couldn't see myself running anything other than a JB4 with a custom backend flash.
    Last edited by psmith95; 01-10-2017 at 12:32 AM.
    Click here to enlarge < Click picture for photoshoot
    E90 335i xDrive 6spd, Nav, Prem, Cold Weather, & Sports package - Msport Conversion
    Mods: JB4 + MHD, Doc Race ST, Pure 6266, AD-Eng PI/Mounts, Fuel-It st. 3, Custom Exhaust, Tuned by TwistedTuning
    More Pictures: Build Thread /// Dyno Soon to Come

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by psmith95 Click here to enlarge
    For non-single turbo my go to choice is flash only and I loved the consistency with flash only. For single turbo as of right now I couldn't see myself running anything other than a JB4 with a custom backend flash.
    ^This x100

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

JB4 for aftermarket TT and ST applications is the way to go. I'd put JB4 up there with Hondata or Kpro Click here to enlarge
    Alot of other platforms have to go AEM stand alone and custom tune to get these same options.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast