Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jt0407 Click here to enlarge
    My day job has nothing to do with cars or computer software development etc etc... lol. Just been wrenching on cars for 15 yrs. where did you buy the cam timing tools?
    These are the timing tools I ended up using, the flywheel pin was a snug fit but worked great. The downside is unlike other kits, this didn't include the dummy tensioner which I had to make myself.

The Kit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-BMW-N51-...968612&vxp=mtr

The Tensioner Tool (BMW-6222-M1220)
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-N40-N42-N45-N46-N52-N62-Rigid-Chain-Tensioner-Tool-/351515572412?hash=item51d7f5f8bc:g:t9QAAOSw241YbD-V&item=351515572412&vxp=mtr

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sabre Click here to enlarge
    I AM NOT ALONE!!!! I literally had the exact same thing happen to me! Same bs bolt backed out on me. I made a post about it some time ago on this board. I reported it all the way up to BMW NA as it happened 2 days after my OEM warranty expired @33k miles. I thought i was the only one to have experienced this. Just looking at the pics brings back all the bitter sweet memories. Hell of a job cleaning up the pistons BTW!
    What was your resolution with BMW NA? I just opened a case with them because of a blown N20 because of their garbage plastic oil filter housing. There is a SIB to replace it but no one mentioned that and now right out of warranty they are saying it will be $23k for a new motor.
    The N20 is a gigantic turd of a motor. I just hope BMW NA tries to help.
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2007 Subaru STI - 20G/E85 - NF Tuned
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler
    2005 Infiniti G35 S - drift beater

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    d21Spike, BMW never came trhough for me even upon the recommendation of a BMW Tech for goodwill. In any case, i did the exact same thing you did, rolled my sleeves up and went to town on the rebuild. I am proud to say that my car now sits at 70k and has been running as good as can be, pushing more power than ever and 0 issues - engine wise anyways. Rear turbo seal blew, so i am looking at what to do next. We shall see.
    2010 135i, 6MT, VRSF 7"FMIC/VRSF DP's/VRSF Charge Pipe/Stock DVs/Helix Style Hybrid intake/ JB4 E40

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Just all the hours spent fixing the crank damage, we used the updated hub design
    Why can't this be adapted to the S55?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    d21Spike, BMW never came trhough for me even upon the recommendation of a BMW Tech for goodwill. In any case, i did the exact same thing you did, rolled my sleeves up and went to town on the rebuild. I am proud to say that my car now sits at 70k and has been running as good as can be, pushing more power than ever and 0 issues - engine wise anyways. Rear turbo seal blew, so i am looking at what to do next. We shall see.
    Well I'm glad to hear she's running strong for ya. Yea I have to sort my turbo situation as well, she comes off of seasonal insurance in March!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Why can't this be adapted to the S55?
    @Sticky I don't have a definitive answer but my best guess would be that they don't believe they need to fix anything. Let me elaborate...the N54 design got updated for whatever reason (no known failures that I know of).

This is the old design...
    Click here to enlarge

This is the new design...
    Click here to enlarge

Now if you notice the biggest difference is that they switched to stepped design. When you factor in the updated Oil/Vac sprocket, the grip discs are now part of the sprocket and the sprocket no longer has grooves on the inner race so more surface area???

Anyways below are the part diagrams for the N54, N55, and S55 respectively...
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

If you notice the N55 and the S55 share the same hub!!
    Click here to enlarge

Now the other thing to note is that it also matches the N54 hub in design with the exception of the number of bolt holes for the harmonic balancer. So I think they believe they have a solid design that has worked for (at least) 2 motors and it can't be the problem for the S55. For all I know this may be true and the problem may be elsewhere like harmonics, but that's above my level of expertise

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by d21spike Click here to enlarge
    Now the other thing to note is that it also matches the N54 hub in design with the exception of the number of bolt holes for the harmonic balancer. So I think they believe they have a solid design that has worked for (at least) 2 motors and it can't be the problem for the S55. For all I know this may be true and the problem may be elsewhere like harmonics, but that's above my level of expertise
    Fantastic post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Just an update, so we did about 50 dyno pulls all around 800WHP with the updated hub, all seemed fine. We then did a bunch of work to the car to get it ready for shift sector next weekend, took it out, and it promptly spun the hub again on a 2-3 shift on the road. It didn't just slip it this time. It spun it, and bent all the valves in our newly ported head. To say I am disgusted would be an understatement. I have another head here, I may put in the time to swap the head before the event, but most likely not. Just too frustrated to even look at the car currently. I believe at these power levels these hubs are just not up to the task.
    Vargas Turbocharger Technologies
    N54 1/2Mile World Record: 172.94MPH
    N55 World Record: 11.7ET / 122.7MPH (MT)
    N54 Stock Frame (100% E85) World Record: 699WHP / 714WTQ
    N54 Twin Turbo World Record: 847WHP/ 761WTQ
    N54 (ACN 91 octane only) World Record: 585WHP / 537WTQ
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge Website - Email
    #VTTDOMINATION #VTT #VARGASTURBO #VTTBOUNTY

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tony@VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Just an update, so we did about 50 dyno pulls all around 800WHP with the updated hub, all seemed fine. We then did a bunch of work to the car to get it ready for shift sector next weekend, took it out, and it promptly spun the hub again on a 2-3 shift on the road. It didn't just slip it this time. It spun it, and bent all the valves in our newly ported head. To say I am disgusted would be an understatement. I have another head here, I may put in the time to swap the head before the event, but most likely not. Just too frustrated to even look at the car currently. I believe at these power levels these hubs are just not up to the task.
    That's definitely unfortunate and if I was you I would be quite pissed. On the 2-3 shift were you lifting or flat out? Just curious since it seems like it's the shock that is getting it, on the dyno you're just laying into the throttle. Was the crank bolt still tight? Anyways, sorry to hear hopefully this gets figured out sooner than later.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Holy fuuuuucking shiiiiit. I would probably torch the car at this point. (kidding but kinda not kidding)
    2012 Cadillac CTS-V Sedan - 6MT - Lingenfelter upper pulley, Airaid CF Intake, Magnaflow exhaust, fluidyne H/X
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was flat out, but I short shifted sideways to try to get a little traction back it lit the tires back up then said uncle. I just got it off the trailer, I'm confident the bolt will be backed out, or at least not at its set tq.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I was flat out, but I short shifted sideways to try to get a little traction back it lit the tires back up then said uncle. I just got it off the trailer, I'm confident the bolt will be backed out, or at least not at its set tq.
    I kinda figured as much. Just curious did you struggle as much as I did to do the 360 degrees after the 74ft-lbs? Cheater pipes were used in my case. I guess if the bolt did back out and you decide to get it back on the road, you could try to make a washer like I did. There is no way I could test things to the extreme you do, but every little bit helps?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by d21spike Click here to enlarge
    I kinda figured as much. Just curious did you struggle as much as I did to do the 360 degrees after the 74ft-lbs? Cheater pipes were used in my case. I guess if the bolt did back out and you decide to get it back on the road, you could try to make a washer like I did. There is no way I could test things to the extreme you do, but every little bit helps?
    I have a special 6 ft break bar I use for these, getting the 360 on them is easy with it. I just don't think this design is going to work for these levels of tq at such low RPM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So what do you do now?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    So what do you do now?
    Click here to enlarge

In all seriousness, I could see power being dialed back a bit (at least the onset) until a solution to the spinning hub is discovered. Then again, its VTT, he could be like....

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just a thought and its probably wrong but are these spun hubs all with single mass flywheels? Maybe the extra harmonics and lack of damping on the crank might increase the jerk the hub sees and breaks it loose?
    If that new upgraded DMFW ends up working at high power I wonder if it helps prevent these types of issues.
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Is it not possible to machine a (round) keyway in-situ into the offending parts to prevent this sort of thing from happening? A machining jig would have to be made, but that is how it is done on newer LS motors when a supercharger is to be installed to prevent the harmonic balancer from slipping on the crank snout. At least the timing chain sprocket is keyed though :/
    Click here to enlarge

2010 135i 6MT with mods aplenty, build thread below:
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-Voyage-into-M

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Mine happened when i still had the OEM clutch and DMFW, i was pushing no power at all at the time, all i had was Cobb stage 1+ and IC.
    2010 135i, 6MT, VRSF 7"FMIC/VRSF DP's/VRSF Charge Pipe/Stock DVs/Helix Style Hybrid intake/ JB4 E40

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Mine happened when i still had the OEM clutch and DMFW, i was pushing no power at all at the time, all i had was Cobb stage 1+ and IC.
    Freak accident I guess? Or is this maybe more prevalent than people have discussed?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by hydra Click here to enlarge
    Is it not possible to machine a (round) keyway into the offending parts to prevent this sort of thing from happening? A machining fixture would have to be made, but that is how it is done on newer LS motors when a supercharger is to be installed.
    Sticky wrote about this a while back where TPG tried to do that, outcome wasn't too successful. Although, I did hear something about a new version idk.

Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/content.php?7257-The-BMW-F80-M3-F82-M4-S55-engine-crank-hub-spinning-issue-comparison-to-S65-E9X-crank-does-TPG-Tuning-Gintani-or-Maximum-PSI-have-a-problem-solution

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

That's a terrible design. The way the LS peeps address the issue is to drill a hole lengthwise into the hub/crank to fit a dowel/key, without introducing anywhere near as much of a (failure-prone) stress concentration as the solution above.
    Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...-Voyage-into-M

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2241 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I still don't think the S55 peeps even have a real solution.

Kind of depressing.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That seems like a solid idea. Kinda sorta like safety wire on wheel lugs to stop wheels flying off.
    2006 BMW X3 - dog hauler

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Of course it can be done, it just need to be done. Unfortunately that doesn't stop the root issue which is the hub coming loose it would seem. Started at 9, head off at 11. I'm too good at this $#@! now from doing it too many times. Some carnage, but head is saveable looks like. The sudden collison, and corresponding desire to to stop, the exhaust can snapped the bolt holding the vanos solenoid off in the cam. The biggest issue I see from this being a quick fix, the crank hub won't come out. That means it fused again to one or both of the sprockets, meaning the grip disks are $#@!ed meaning I have to drop the pan, which means I have to drop the subframe which means, a $#@! load more time, if I was just swapping the head back on, I would be done today....:/

Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge