Close

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    What @LZH said about making threads should considered. Also i want my gone 2000 reps back. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge

+1 points per thread created.

+0.1 points per post.
    @Sticky -

I think the rep system as it relates to number of rep points given for creating a thread is flawed. There have been quite a few threads where OP is automatically rewarded and given one rep point for posting what is basically a useless thread that no one likes and the OP is rewarded for it. I realize content creation is what adds value to sites like this, but awarding people for posting $#@!ty content is of no value and is flawed - not to mention a waste of bandwidth. The auto system rep of 1 point for creating a thread, I feel, should only be given to someone who creates a thread someone likes.
    Awarding someone for posting something that no one likes dilutes the entire rep system and devalues it. Rep is supposed to be earned, not simply awarded for posting $#@!ty content. Making the rep system valuable prevents users from gaining rep for something no one likes and ensures that positive rep and GOOD content go hand in hand.
    Another thing you might consider is incentivizing rep. The more people who like the thread, the more positive system rep the OP automatically receives from the system and not just from users. This could be on a sliding scale and work both ways for threads that are positive AND neg repped by users.
    Rewarding people and allowing them the gain something for nothing makes the rep system less valuable. You have to reward valuable content and not the other way around.
    I look forward to your thoughts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    What @LZH said about making threads should considered. Also i want my gone 2000 reps back. Click here to enlarge
    Glad you agree with me. It's a flaw in the system that allows users to be awarded for posting what they know is junk and only do so to keep their rep up. Without it, they would be in the negative quickly. I think it's worth a trial run and should be very easy to implement.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    Glad you agree with me. It's a flaw in the system that allows users to be awarded for posting what they know is junk and only do so to keep their rep up. Without it, they would be in the negative quickly. I think it's worth a trial run and should be very easy to implement.
    It's certainly a flaw that you are allowed to attack all of my threads without being punished. I think sticky is doing more than a favor keeping you here. Don't push it and tell the man how to run his forum
    Weistec Supercharged SL63 AMG
    Click here to enlarge
    Fastest Overall Mercedes SL Class VBOX 60-130, 6.86-
    Dragtimes.com, FEB 16 2013

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Jacob502 Click here to enlarge
    It's certainly a flaw that you are allowed to attack all of my threads without being punished. I think sticky is doing more than a favor keeping you here. Don't push it and tell the man how to run his forum
    Thanks for popping in and proving my point.
    What I am suggesting benefits everyone and only impacts those who abuse the system. If you aren't doing anything wrong then you have nothing to worry about.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LZH Click here to enlarge
    @Sticky -

I think the rep system as it relates to number of rep points given for creating a thread is flawed. There have been quite a few threads where OP is automatically rewarded and given one rep point for posting what is basically a useless thread that no one likes and the OP is rewarded for it. I realize content creation is what adds value to sites like this, but awarding people for posting $#@!ty content is of no value and is flawed - not to mention a waste of bandwidth. The auto system rep of 1 point for creating a thread, I feel, should only be given to someone who creates a thread someone likes.
    Awarding someone for posting something that no one likes dilutes the entire rep system and devalues it. Rep is supposed to be earned, not simply awarded for posting $#@!ty content. Making the rep system valuable prevents users from gaining rep for something no one likes and ensures that positive rep and GOOD content go hand in hand.
    Another thing you might consider is incentivizing rep. The more people who like the thread, the more positive system rep the OP automatically receives from the system and not just from users. This could be on a sliding scale and work both ways for threads that are positive AND neg repped by users.
    Rewarding people and allowing them the gain something for nothing makes the rep system less valuable. You have to reward valuable content and not the other way around.
    I look forward to your thoughts.
    I could try to do something along the lines of someone getting a bonus if the OP gets a thumbs up.

For now it will remain as is as changing this significantly is too difficult to implement without custom programming.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how come my rep points was 9 yesterday and decreased to 7 today???

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5hourenergy Click here to enlarge
    how come my rep points was 9 yesterday and decreased to 7 today???
    Because you got a neg rep it seems.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

how?? the last time i checked was 8 then didn't do anything after

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is there any way you could help me at least get up to 10?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5hourenergy Click here to enlarge
    Is there any way you could help me at least get up to 10?
    we are watching you...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    we are watching you...
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    we are watching you...
    what did i do?? D=

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Forgot about this system as the other forum I'm on disabled it because it was abused. I think you had to give a reason for neg. repping, can't remember if username was also attached. Usefull if used correctly but ultimatley flawed.
    Can be flucking funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

+1
    THANKS!! =D

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

1% of the community controls 99% of the rep 0.o

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Forcefed Click here to enlarge
    1% of the community controls 99% of the rep 0.o

Click here to enlarge
    But you can work your way into the 1% here with little effort... unlike real life.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

But you can work your way into the 1% here with little effort... unlike real life.
    Very true.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

I'm probably being a delicious n00bcake right now, but just so I'm clear...

Giving away rep points doesn't detract from the total rep points, does it?
    Click here to enlarge
    471whp on E85

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ammonia Click here to enlarge
    Giving away rep points doesn't detract from the total rep points, does it?
    No, it's based on rep power.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

i'm not sure if any of it is up for any discussion, or if i'll get in trouble for discussing it... but..

Going off the derailed thread in /n54/ i've noticed lately a LOT of misplaced negative reps, on posts that should absolutely not have negatives lately (nor neccessarily positives)..a lot of which coming from very high power people. along with a massive increase of 'i have no idea why you were negged, here, have a +rep' posts, which i personally don't mind as it doesn't REALLY keep a thread off track..

and what appears to be an/some high level user/s abusing the system in some way, with repeated baseless negative votes, somewhere in the range of, in the last 7 days (for me personally), 150+ negatives, and a number of positives balancing out to about -75 at the moment, some of which may have been deserved, but doubtfully the total number.. @Sered down something like >-100 today alone (again, maybe some genuine, i don't know), other users i haven't seen say anything, whether they'e noticed or not is another matter, but i'm sure i've seen other users drop down a hundred digit lately.

and with having users with such high power, it literally can take 6+ positive reps (which may never happen, and usually doesn't on an individual post!) to counteract

The best thing i could think of for this situation, would be people who have their power on a given rep >10 say, having their votes publicised, and of if they've made >10 or 15 votes in a day regardless of how much power is turned on for said post.. people who have power so high are a pseudo moderation team for this forum, and effectively have the power to ban people by being able to quickly get just about anyone into the negatives...

And like other forums, their actions (in my current train of thought) if used for great effect, should be visible to other users.. normally if someone gets in trouble/locked/banned whatever, it's forum policy that the moderation team have their actions stamped on said post/thread.

add to this a side effect of the rep system, there is a certain sense of hive mind.. i know if i see a post with a large number or + or -, i'm more likely to read said post and vote accordingly.. and i guarantee others (the majority even) think the same, it's normal, recently (again i'll bring reddit into the picture) has had to introduce a system to combat this, where votes aren't shown for hours selectable by the subreddit's moderation team from 2-24h.. now i'm not saying that it would work for this forum, in fact, it wouldn't, it's not a super high volume site like reddit is.. just an example of how the hivemind factor is very real and valid.

Agree or disagree, just had to get it out there.

thanks Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    102 Post(s)

Get used to it, it is frustrating when you get a baseless, no sense Neg Rep, but if you continually contribute in a positive way, it won't matter.
    COBB AP ProTune by Bren of ///Bren Tuning
    Akrapovic DP | Helix FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | Walbro 450LPH Fuel Pump

"The moment money becomes your motivation, you are immediately not as good as someone who is motivated by passion and internal will." -A. Senna

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by benzy89 Click here to enlarge
    Get used to it, it is frustrating when you get a baseless, no sense Neg Rep, but if you continually contribute in a positive way, it won't matter.
    but it does, clearly, like i said i'm down 75 and the only reason i'm not down 100 is i made a popular post on this very subject (which happened to net me somewhere in the range of -30 in the first place) ED: ok back down to nearly negative 100 in the last 24h)

if i have never complained i guarantee within 10-14 days i would have been in the negatives from whoever(s) appears to be targetting me, and effectively banned.. ED: actually at this rate it's still going to happen, i'm getting +ve from a fair few lower power users, but the higher power user/s are still outweighing it, just watch, i almost guarantee it's still going to happen. a couple of weeks. tops.

actually, i was over 400 at one stage, something like 410-420, so i have received in excess of 200 negatives (largely, but probably not entirely, baseless i believe) in the last 1-2 weeks.

it's not just about the individual no-sense negs.. it's about repeated systematic neg repping from a high power user(s) who has(have) simply taken a dislike to you

ED: now one clearly from someone in particular just took me from 295 down to 280 (so 30 rep power) on a post that really genuinely didn't deserve it.

my posts are 99% positive contributions (except for the recent rep point stuff and arguing with LM when he attacks) yet it's a net decline.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 05-09-2013 at 10:55 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i'm not sure if any of it is up for any discussion, or if i'll get in trouble for discussing it... but..

Going off the derailed thread in /n54/ i've noticed lately a LOT of misplaced negative reps, on posts that should absolutely not have negatives lately (nor neccessarily positives)..a lot of which coming from very high power people. along with a massive increase of 'i have no idea why you were negged, here, have a +rep' posts, which i personally don't mind as it doesn't REALLY keep a thread off track..

and what appears to be an/some high level user/s abusing the system in some way, with repeated baseless negative votes, somewhere in the range of, in the last 7 days (for me personally), 150+ negatives, and a number of positives balancing out to about -75 at the moment, some of which may have been deserved, but doubtfully the total number.. @Sered down something like >-100 today alone (again, maybe some genuine, i don't know), other users i haven't seen say anything, whether they'e noticed or not is another matter, but i'm sure i've seen other users drop down a hundred digit lately.

and with having users with such high power, it literally can take 6+ positive reps (which may never happen, and usually doesn't on an individual post!) to counteract

The best thing i could think of for this situation, would be people who have their power on a given rep >10 say, having their votes publicised, and of if they've made >10 or 15 votes in a day regardless of how much power is turned on for said post.. people who have power so high are a pseudo moderation team for this forum, and effectively have the power to ban people by being able to quickly get just about anyone into the negatives...

And like other forums, their actions (in my current train of thought) if used for great effect, should be visible to other users.. normally if someone gets in trouble/locked/banned whatever, it's forum policy that the moderation team have their actions stamped on said post/thread.

add to this a side effect of the rep system, there is a certain sense of hive mind.. i know if i see a post with a large number or + or -, i'm more likely to read said post and vote accordingly.. and i guarantee others (the majority even) think the same, it's normal, recently (again i'll bring reddit into the picture) has had to introduce a system to combat this, where votes aren't shown for hours selectable by the subreddit's moderation team from 2-24h.. now i'm not saying that it would work for this forum, in fact, it wouldn't, it's not a super high volume site like reddit is.. just an example of how the hivemind factor is very real and valid.

Agree or disagree, just had to get it out there.

thanks Click here to enlarge
    Neg power is already set to half positive but I'll think of what else I can do to combat pointless neg reps.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    but it does, clearly, like i said i'm down 75 and the only reason i'm not down 100 is i made a popular post on this very subject (which happened to net me somewhere in the range of -30 in the first place) ED: ok back down to nearly negative 100 in the last 24h)

if i have never complained i guarantee within 10-14 days i would have been in the negatives from whoever(s) appears to be targetting me, and effectively banned.. ED: actually at this rate it's still going to happen, i'm getting +ve from a fair few lower power users, but the higher power user/s are still outweighing it, just watch, i almost guarantee it's still going to happen. a couple of weeks. tops.

actually, i was over 400 at one stage, something like 410-420, so i have received in excess of 200 negatives (largely, but probably not entirely, baseless i believe) in the last 1-2 weeks.

it's not just about the individual no-sense negs.. it's about repeated systematic neg repping from a high power user(s) who has(have) simply taken a dislike to you

ED: now one clearly from someone in particular just took me from 295 down to 280 (so 30 rep power) on a post that really genuinely didn't deserve it.

my posts are 99% positive contributions (except for the recent rep point stuff and arguing with LM when he attacks) yet it's a net decline.
    I looked into it and one of the "powerful" users you are complaining about hits with you negs and positives so it's a bit confusing.

I don't think there is a pattern of negative there although there are negatives.

For better balance what I want to do is if you intend to negatively hit a user you already negatively hit within X amount of days it will cost you X rep points plus their rep power to do so.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast