Close

Thread: asr m5 question

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

asr m5 question

have an asr stage 3 m5 that i recently aquired. is it normal to have no filters in the air boxes. took it to the dealer and they said it had none. they put some stock paper ones in threre. is that going to effect the kit in any way. seems like response is slower on acceleration. any info on this or the kit would be awesom cause i dont know anything about the car. the asr site is very vague. i havent even ran the nos yet, i wanted to know how reliable this kit is before i go spraying the hell out of it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

wait..lemme get this straight. You had NO airfilters in there at all????

That is not good..not by a long shot. The amount of dirt and crap you ahve been sucking into the engine is not going to be good for the long run.

I would do some reading around here about ASR.....there is plenty of dirt to dig up.

IMO i wouldnt spray the M5...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

What do you mean paper filters? Do you have any pictures?? This, I need to see...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ballsdeepm3 Click here to enlarge
    have an asr stage 3 m5 that i recently aquired. is it normal to have no filters in the air boxes. took it to the dealer and they said it had none. they put some stock paper ones in threre. is that going to effect the kit in any way. seems like response is slower on acceleration. any info on this or the kit would be awesom cause i dont know anything about the car. the asr site is very vague. i havent even ran the nos yet, i wanted to know how reliable this kit is before i go spraying the hell out of it?
    You had no filters whatsoever? WTF? Who did you get this car from? I would ask them what the hell they were thinking to start with. Maybe they just forgot to put them back in for some reason?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    What do you mean paper filters? Do you have any pictures?? This, I need to see...
    He means these are the filters the dealer provided, the stock filters likely with a charcoal element.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DarkPhantom Click here to enlarge
    stock air filters from BMW are paper based like all factory filters for most cars. Only K&N or BMC (and other related companies) make cotton-gauze type filters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hey ballsdeepm3 one hugh word of advise. When you spray be absolutely sure you have the M buton engaged. I learned the hard way. Trust me it can slip your mind because everytime you turn off the car the M button gets disengaged and you must remember to push it back in.
    Your car will suffer a serious mishap if you spray with on M button engaged.
    Btw I do not think the NOS system will work correctly with the factory filters back in.
    Anyway I only came back here and posted because I want to spare your serious heartburn.
    Best of luck.

Ranger

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

damn. thats not good. it was the first question i asked the guy when i got the car. how come no filters? and he said that it went along with the kit?? common sense told me that i should have filters.. the ones i have now are the stock bmw ones that the dealer puts in. should i get k&n or bmc filters? how much hp gain could i expect? who knows how long that guy was running around with no air filters?? im alittle worried now. i dont think i will be spraying it. thanks for the info guys

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

damn. thats not good. it was the first question i asked the guy when i got the car. how come no filters? and he said that it went along with the kit?? common sense told me that i should have filters.. the ones i have now are the stock bmw ones that the dealer puts in. should i get k&n or bmc filters? how much hp gain could i expect? who knows how long that guy was running around with no air filters?? im alittle worried now. i dont think i will be spraying it. thanks for the info guys
    Where are you located?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im in westminster ca

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

im in westminster ca
    Might not be a bad idea to get your car looked at by a reputable shop and you can have the nitrous system overviewed as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If your nitrous system is set up as a dry shot (i.e.: nozzles installed in the intakes before the MAFs), then do not use it. Take it to a good performance shop that does nitrous and get it reinstalled correctly as a wet shot (unless you can do it yourself).

Does the E60 have intake tubes that run into the air boxes like the E39 does? If so, ASR might have put cone filters on the ends of them and deleted the stock filters. I remember seeing some sort of intake system like that on one of their cars. Can you see any other types of filter elements under the hood?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Bimmerbear Click here to enlarge
    Does the E60 have intake tubes that run into the air boxes like the E39 does? If so, ASR might have put cone filters on the ends of them and deleted the stock filters.
    Yes it does, here is a good shot which illustrates it:

Click here to enlarge

I never heard anything of ASR doing individual filters and that is usually reserved for cars with exposed velocity stacks like this:

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

AFAIK the E60 only has ducts from the bottom of the air box that lead to the kidney grills where air is picked up.....But they are rectangular in shape and no way you can put a filter on it. If you don't have any filters hanging out in your front grill area there is a pretty good chance you had no air filter...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Might not be a bad idea to get your car looked at by a reputable shop and you can have the nitrous system overviewed as well...
    Or maybe remove it. I would maybe add some simple bolt-ons, use your 500hp button alot and go have some fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BigM62 Click here to enlarge
    Or maybe remove it. I would maybe add some simple bolt-ons, use your 500hp button alot and go have some fun.
    Well if he already has it he might as well get it done right and have even more fun.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got ahold of the guys at asr and they put filters in the intake tubes i guess and rememove the ones in the boxes? why im not sure. sounds like a pain to change out. going to have to find a shop to do this.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

i got ahold of the guys at asr and they put filters in the intake tubes i guess and rememove the ones in the boxes? why im not sure. sounds like a pain to change out. going to have to find a shop to do this.
    Glad that you had filters though.