Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Vishnu new beta maps/firmware

Here's some of the newest shenanigans

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
    Hi guys,
    We are very happy that you guys are enjoying the new beta maps/firmware. We would make them officially non-beta if it weren't for the fact that they will be replaced next week with something else. The current beta maps only incorporate maybe 50% of what is in our short-term sights. Once the next update is released, expect to see another sizable jump in real world pump gas performance. Without saying too much, here are some testing logs from this morning. Enough info is presented that a keen eye will notice something different.

The test car is a well used (55k mile) 2007 6AT with basic bolt-ons (exhaust, catless dp, dcis) running on Shell 91oct. Some runs were at 15psi setting. Others were at 11psi setting. Ignition correction setting is fixed at 100%. Autotuning is OFF.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

After this update goes through a bit more in-house testing, it will be released to the beta list. At which time we will finish development on our next two to-do items. Both of which will make our more "lunatic fringe" customers (FBO, meth/racegas, upgrade turbo) very content.

Shiv
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DesertDude

Just compare the logs that Shiv posted to logs from the released v5 and beta v5 firmware and maps. Notice that in the beta v5 maps, Shiv increased the granularity of the Procede's ignition correction values. This gave him the ability to make very fine adjustements to timing. But these logs have something a bit differerent from the beta logs. I noticed that the ignition correction was moving up and down in very fine adjustments. I also noticed that the resulting timing curve was butter smooth and no signs of knock activity. So based on the hints that Shiv has given before, I assumed he now can adjust timing independently from just using a standard PID with a global offset which is adjusted based on the aggression level. These logs seem to indicate that he has MUCH more granular control over timing and he can adjust the PID values on the fly throughout the entire RPM range. But it's just a guess. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Let's just say that your toes would be toasty if you stood in one place for too long Click here to enlarge

Shiv
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DesertDude
    Remember, once he re-enables autotuning (or a new flavor of it), you won't even have to setup boost.
    If I were to venture a guess, I'd say he would modify the algorythms for auto-tuning with this new ability by tuning boost to be based on efficiency of your current setup and then auto-tune timing to maximize output based on that amount of boost. That way as you add bolt-ons to your setup, the Procede would automatically adjust boost to a level that is most efficient for you and then maximize timing. (At least that is what I am hoping.)
    Your toes must be on fire now :clap:
    It really has nothing to do with ignition correction between engine revolutions. Nor does is it specific to one cylinder. But rather, it's design is to ensure that the Procede's ignition correction offsets works in complement with the DME's conditional short-term timing reduction schemes. Which means that you always get a more appropriate timing reduction under boost. Regardless of whether you jump on the throttle abruptly (sudden load change) or gradually squeeze the throttle (slow load change). It's a bit more multi-dimensional than just adding a fixed amount of retard at a certain load/rpm combo (a la piggyback) or editing the values in the base ignition advance table (a la reflash tune). And it shows on the road. I was actually really surprised that it worked as well as it did upon initial testing. Usually I expect new ideas like this to go through a long period of teething pains.

Shiv
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hi guys
    This is the update that beta testers have been talking about for the last couple of weeks. They are now available to the public. It is VERY IMPORTANT to read the "Read Me Before Updating" doc that is included in the folder. NOT reading this document will lead to many questions that don't need to be asked. Such as:

-I did a firmware update and now my car wont start. Help me!
    -How come boost/ignition isn't autotuning?
    -What should I set my traction control threshold to?
    -Can I run these maps on my 335is?

Click here to enlarge

So yes, please read the info and follow the directions. If you don't want to do this, please don't run the beta maps. Instead, wait a few weeks until they become officially non-beta and all the usual bells and whistles are enabled.

I've decided to make the beta maps public for no other reason than they ROCK. If you can't live without some of the secondary features that we are asking you to keep disabled for the time being (autotuning, Map3, traction control, etc,), please don't use them. But if you can live without these for the time being, you will love the new update.

You can download it here: http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n54...downloads.html

Keep in mind that this update will be replaced by another update next week. The big stuff still isn't released (even to beta testers).

Cheers
    shiv
    I just updated to these yesterday and although I haven't had a chance to mess with them yet, they feel great to me.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Here's a dyno on one of the beta maps. Numerous people have reported that the newly found torque is the straw that's breaking the back of their stock clutch. Good stuff here on only moderate boost

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu Click here to enlarge
    Hi guys,
    Between living on the dyno since christmas and cold weather testing on the other coast, I've been MIA for the last 2 weeks. Which is good news since that means we have another rather significant update ready to go. For now, we're looking for a 6MT/7DCT volunteers. Preferably those who aren't snowed in Click here to enlarge

So if you are a 6MT/7DCT user and want to try something new, please email me at shiv@vishnutuning.com and put "6MT/7DCT v5 tester" in the subject line. More details about the update will be disclosed via email. We will wait a day or two to build a reasonably sized mailing list before sending out the update. So don't fret if you don't get an email immediately.

FYI...recent dyno on our 6MT:

Fully modded (catless dps, catless exhaust, DCI, Helix fmic and forge bypass valves) 2007 6MT w/ 75,000 miles. Stock tune vs Procede (15psi/50% ignition correction) 91oct NO meth:

Click here to enlarge

For Uncorrected numbers, divide by 1.03
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I think the dyno is well inline with the fact that he has full bolt-ons. Nothing special or new in it as far as I can see. The figures are slightly highish due to the better dyno facility and cooling fans than in his typical dyno place and the fact that the correction is 1.03. Also MT has several horses more than AT due to having less drivetrain losses. Thanks for posting though! I would rather read the relevant news in here than in other forums.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    We aren't talking peak HP numbers, we're talking the power curve. Virtually no power drop-off to redline. 411 whp STD on 91 octane piss gas is a feat all in itself. And FWIW, the 6AT doesn't have the drivetrain loss of a typical automatic due to the fact it locks the torque converter in higher gears, so your argument of the 6MT having better power numbers is inaccurate, at least on this platform. I bet the peak numbers would be even better if it were 93 octane. Compare the fact this graph winds the gear out to 7k RPM instead of the typical 6500 we see on 6AT dyno graphs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    There is nothing inaccurate in what I said. Tranmission loss difference between AT and MT is documented by BMW, Dinan, Shiv and a few others.

No betting needed in octane effect. 93 provides more whp than 91oct.

No drop of in power in redline can be done. However, running like that a few minutes is another matter due to the heat the turbos generate when pushed far away from their efficiency range.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    To comment on the torque converter lock-up, the lock-ups are the way ATs work in all the modern platforms, not only N54. In the ancient times when the lock-ups did not exist the efficiency was awful. Now that the converters lock up, the Automatic efficiencies are closer to the efficiencies of manuals. However, it does not mean that the efficiency would be the same.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2130 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    However, it does not mean that the efficiency would be the same.
    Exactly and it isn't. Manual will dyno higher on average, period.
    Chrome Space Bar Issue: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...338#post738338

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Curve looks great... A true turbo killer tune, 15 psi at 7000rpm cannot be healthy for the twins
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    Curve looks great... A true turbo killer tune, 15 psi at 7000rpm cannot be healthy for the twins
    Still on the original turbos at 75k miles. Still makes great power with no signs of impending turbo failure.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    104 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    The Procede isn't the only tune that pushes 15 psi @ redline.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not bad. So much power Dan crashed his car LOL.

All that power will be finding itself into another car shortly...Click here to enlarge