Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Another RUMOR....

Just heard from a friend who shall remain nameless, that some DCT cars that were Supercharged (Gintani), not that it should matter what brand but i'm just rehashing what was told to me, have needed Transmission (clutch) repair/rebuild.

I am always scouring the forums and have never seen anything of the like. Closest thing I know of is Sticky's DCT project, but that was completely preemptive due to his high HP goals....there was never an issue as i understand it pre-tear down.

So any validity to the Rumor? Or is it just another case of forum diarrhea?Click here to enlarge I'd think if DCTs weren't holding up to the stock internal kits numbers that people like Drew would have needed work done by now. Drew has a good number of "spirited" miles and time and I've never heard even a zip on the topic.

Can anyone clarify? Sticky, anyone?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    So any validity to the Rumor? Or is it just another case of forum diarrhea?
    I only know of one DCT car getting anything done to the transmission, and that would be mine.

I have no idea why your friend would tell you things like this without any evidence or valid information whatsoever.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

What is the most power made on a dct trans thus far?
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Sticky, your transmission was torn down though AFTER malfunction right? I remember something about you running 130mph but your tranny over-heated and then it was slipping, right?

I was expecting it. The clutch plates were not designed for that much of a extra torque/horsepower margin over stock.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So what is it.... Did the tranny croak or not? And how much power was the car making at the time?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

This forum is like a case of desperate house wives !!!
    So much drama !!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i havent heard of any... not even at the dealer level.. just boost it.. drews cars havent had any dct problems.. as of yet

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dudes...not trying to stir drama. Its an honest question. I guess I wasn't privy to the other conversation on the topic. Reason I ask is because my buying decision will be based on these facts, thats really IT. Not trying to dig up any old housewives BS...Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I had the the stage 1 kit, never had slippage...no rebuilds or new clutches
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Sticky, your transmission was torn down though AFTER malfunction right? I remember something about you running 130mph but your tranny over-heated and then it was slipping, right?

I was expecting it. The clutch plates were not designed for that much of a extra torque/horsepower margin over stock.
    The tranny was slipping before I went to the strip from what I was told. It never slipped on me to my knowledge, I went by what Gintani told me when they were at the dyno with it.

It overheated when stock, with bolt on's, with sc's, that was always a problem due to BMW's crappy cooling.

The clutch plates can handle an SC no problem, they just weren't built to withstand max RPM launch control launches time after time after time after time... When we disassembled the trans, it showed what the wear was that I subjected it to.

On the run I went 130 it didn't overheat because I didn't burn out. That is why I couldn't get a good 60 foot and only ran 11.9.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SunocoCAM2 Click here to enlarge
    This forum is like a case of desperate house wives !!!
    So much drama !!!
    He's asking a question, it really isn't that big of a deal and he wants to confirm whether a rumor is true or not. Better than posting a rumor as true like the forum you are used to. If this amount of "drama" bugs you you might get really uncomfortable here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BASELINE Click here to enlarge
    Dudes...not trying to stir drama. Its an honest question. I guess I wasn't privy to the other conversation on the topic. Reason I ask is because my buying decision will be based on these facts, thats really IT. Not trying to dig up any old housewives BS...Click here to enlarge
    It isn't a big deal, ask away.

Look, no one used launch control as much as I did as often as I did and the trans took it like a champ. I could have just popped in new clutch discs from SSP and kept on going but now I'm taking things much further, engine, sc, trans, and all.

I was told my discs were starting to slip and opening up the trans confirmed I really wore the clutch discs out. There is an ESS SC'd DCT slipping in Australia running the 625 kit. So, you should be fine up until that level unless you push things further or abuse it. These two cars, mine and the one in Australia, are the only ones I know of that have ever reported any slipping.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

GG most power I've seen was 604rwhp forget TQ. It's the gnarly white one
    for sale. Wish I just had that much money stacked. It's my favorite e92m.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

His sheet is in his for sale ad.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

nice picture
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    nice picture
    I know Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

honestly bmw does a great job with dct cooling.. i had an evo x mr and it would overheat like crazy (only when doing trackdays).. i even added a second cooler which helped alot..
    now that i have my e90 M3 i havent had any problems yet..no overheating or any warning lights.. track 2 times... plus bmw has 2 coolers.. and 1 runs with cooling system..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kautiongsr Click here to enlarge
    honestly bmw does a great job with dct cooling
    Honestly, they don't, it's crap. It is the same cooler as the manual tranny cooler, cheap cost saving BS.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Kautiongsr Click here to enlarge
    now that i have my e90 M3 i havent had any problems yet..no overheating or any warning lights.. track 2 times... plus bmw has 2 coolers
    What 2 coolers? You haven't had an overheat yet? Run it in the summer or at the drag strip and it will overheat, guaranteed.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

the bmw isnt that bad in comparison to others i think, i hear of other companies overheating at the racetrack, even with my blower the dct never had any overheating issues at the racetrack, at the drag it did only if doing a longer burnout first.
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    even with my blower the dct never had any overheating issues at the racetrack, at the drag it did only if doing a longer burnout first.
    Exactly.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    the bmw isnt that bad in comparison to others i think, i hear of other companies overheating at the racetrack,
    BMW used the manual transmission cooler, it isn't up to the task.