Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Any way to check to see if the DV's are okay?

I was driving around today, and I swear I heard one of my Diverter vavles gobble/honk like a hybrid turkey/goose. It made me wonder if One of them might be heading south? Is there a definitive check that you can do to see if they're still performing up to par? Thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    A datalog will normally give you a good indication. You can watch how long it takes boost to bleed off when letting off the gas.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    WHat about taking dv's off and checking it with a boost pressure gun ? I did mine and when boosted up to 15 psi , one was dropping to 11 psi another 12 pse withing couple of seconds I don't know if that's normal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by n54BoostOnCoke Click here to enlarge
    WHat about taking dv's off and checking it with a boost pressure gun ? I did mine and when boosted up to 15 psi , one was dropping to 11 psi another 12 pse withing couple of seconds I don't know if that's normal
    Well checking them with a boost pressure gun won't do much if we do not know what "normal" is supposed to be.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Do you have a boost gauge? that would let you know when you let off, wouldn't it?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ryan Mills Click here to enlarge
    I was driving around today, and I swear I heard one of my Diverter vavles gobble/honk like a hybrid turkey/goose. It made me wonder if One of them might be heading south? Is there a definitive check that you can do to see if they're still performing up to par? Thanks!
    It should be possible to make a test setup and check the DV's if you understand how they work. One can basically say that they have to meet two requirements. To withstand boost up to the boost level you are using, and to bleed boost when the pressure difference before and after TB is more than a certain value. This is from the BMW engine management description, which is a sticky on e90post. The test should be easy to perform but you need to make fittings and a figure out a proper test set up.

"The blow-off valves are mechanically actuated spring-loaded diaphragm valves which are
    activated by the intake-manifold pressure as follows:
    In the event of a pressure differential before and after the throttle valve, the blow-off
    valves are opened by the intake-manifold pressure and the boost pressure is diverted to
    the intake side of the compressor. The blow-off valves open starting from a differential
    pressure of 0.3 bar. This process prevents the disruptive and component-damaging
    pumping effect from occurring.
    The system design dictates that the blow-off valves are also opened during operating
    close to idle (pressure differential Pcharger/Psuction = 0.3 bar). However, this has no
    further effects on the turbocharging system.
    The turbocharger is pressurized with the full exhaust-gas flow at these low speeds and
    already builds up a certain level of induction-air precharging in the range close to idle.
    If the throttle valve is opened at this point, the full boost pressure required is very quickly
    made available to the engine.
    One of the major advantages of the vacuum pressure-actuated wastegate valves is that
    they can be partially opened in the mid-range in order not to allow excessive induction-air
    precharging to the detriment of fuel consumption. In the upper load range, they assume
    the required control position corresponding to the necessary boost pressure."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by R1000K3 Click here to enlarge
    which is a sticky on e90post
    They won't allow a sticky on e90post.

Haha, get it? Oh well, I thought it was funny.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can always make posts there under a different user name :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can always make posts there under a different user name :-)
    I would rather stab myself in the testicles with a rusty fork. Would be far less painful and more productive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I would rather stab myself in the testicles with a rusty fork. Would be far less painful and more productive.
    The only thing that will hurt more than a rusty fork in the lower regions is a good Japanese testicle massage treatment. This is what I've learned from a "good friend" :-)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2085 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The only thing that will hurt more than a rusty fork in the lower regions is a good Japanese testicle massage treatment. This is what I've learned from a "good friend" :-)
    I'm scared to ask but... what is a Japanese testicle massage treatment and if it hurts more than getting stabbed by a rusty fork why would anyone want it?