Close

Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Thoughts on suspension?

    Just would like some thoughts on suspension set-ups. I am currently running KW V2s and am not a big fan. Am I getting too old, am I too soft, or is this suspension really that rough? It bounces over the littlest bumps and I feel every tick in the road. So, I was thinking about switching out to TC Kline D/As. I have read excellent reviews and had run the S/A kit on my supercharged M3 a few years back. I remember that being a pretty compliant set-up. Just looking for some feedback. Thanks much.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    117,848
    Rep Points
    31,576.4
    Mentioned
    2066 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    316


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Come on, I know we have some people that know E46 suspensions in here.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Encino, CA
    Posts
    1,161
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Honestly, I don't think you will get much of an improvement, if any at all with the TCK's over the the KW's. Your only choice is to go with the PSS9's, they are the most compliant coilovers that I know of. However, you will sacrifice some handling. Also, the PSS9's don't drop you as low as all the other kits out there, but I have a feeling you aren't looking to go extremely low anyways.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    Honestly, I don't think you will get much of an improvement, if any at all with the TCK's over the the KW's. Your only choice is to go with the PSS9's, they are the most compliant coilovers that I know of. However, you will sacrifice some handling. Also, the PSS9's don't drop you as low as all the other kits out there, but I have a feeling you aren't looking to go extremely low anyways.
    Guess it is time to trade it in for a Seville? Lol. Thanks for the input. I will probably just roll with the KWs for now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    92
    Rep Points
    22.5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Charlie:

    As discussed, go with the Ground Control SA coilovers with 500/500 spring rates; and Hotchkis sway bars F/R.
    Awesome set-up, and very compliant!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AirFrcd Click here to enlarge
    Charlie:

    As discussed, go with the Ground Control SA coilovers with 500/500 spring rates; and Hotchkis sway bars F/R.
    Awesome set-up, and very compliant!
    Since you are an old man as wellClick here to enlarge, I am going to take your advice!! Thanks bro.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota and soon 2nd place west
    Posts
    29
    Rep Points
    13.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No
    The KWv2 are progressive springs whereas TCK and Ground Control are linear so you'll definitely be better off with KW for comfort. A friend of mine runs Ground Control and his setup is for sure stiffer and much more jittery.

    It's really a matter of settings on the setup, condition of your roads, and of course tire pressure. If your car is too rough given your roads with KW, it's going to be worse with linear springs.

    I've been running my KWv2 since '05 and I love my setup. I've played around with them quite a bit and to be honest I'm not sure anymore what they're set at other than the front is more stiff than the rear. If I had to guess I'd say my fronts are about 3/4 clicks to full whereas the rear is softer at about 50% cllicks.

    I'm running KWv2, GC RSM, UUC ARCA, UUC front plates, Eibach F/R sways on 2/2 setting. The car handles like it's on rails.

    The height of mine is 12" squared and I'm running rears -2 degrees camber (cross) and -1.8 degrees (cross) front. Generally, even though our roads in the winter/early spring look cratered like a battlefield, they're basically pretty good when in repair. I don't drive mine in the harsh winter months anymore as that would be unbearable.

    BTW, I'm probably older than you. Click here to enlarge

    Click here to enlarge

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GJGM3 Click here to enlarge
    The KWv2 are progressive springs whereas TCK and Ground Control are linear so you'll definitely be better off with KW for comfort. A friend of mine runs Ground Control and his setup is for sure stiffer and much more jittery.

    It's really a matter of settings on the setup, condition of your roads, and of course tire pressure. If your car is too rough given your roads with KW, it's going to be worse with linear springs.

    I've been running my KWv2 since '05 and I love my setup. I've played around with them quite a bit and to be honest I'm not sure anymore what they're set at other than the front is more stiff than the rear. If I had to guess I'd say my fronts are about 3/4 clicks to full whereas the rear is softer at about 50% cllicks.

    I'm running KWv2, GC RSM, UUC ARCA, UUC front plates, Eibach F/R sways on 2/2 setting. The car handles like it's on rails.

    The height of mine is 12" squared and I'm running rears -2 degrees camber (cross) and -1.8 degrees (cross) front. Generally, even though our roads in the winter/early spring look cratered like a battlefield, they're basically pretty good when in repair. I don't drive mine in the harsh winter months anymore as that would be unbearable.

    BTW, I'm probably older than you. Click here to enlarge
    I bet you're not! Click here to enlarge

    Thanks for the advice. Your set-up looks amazing!! I honestly think it is just me. I have had a few different M3s and have had 4 different kits, and I remember all of them being more comfortable. In actuality, that probably is not the case. Although, as I had mentioned to Lawrence, I had run the GC kit similar to his at one time and really liked them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Minnesota and soon 2nd place west
    Posts
    29
    Rep Points
    13.1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Reputation: Yes | No

    Thumbs up

    Well, if you were born before one of the best looking Chevy Belair's ever, or at least to before they totally changed them to a much larger version, then you probably are.Click here to enlarge

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GJGM3 Click here to enlarge
    Well, if you were born before one of the best looking Chevy Belair's ever, or at least to before they totally changed them to a much larger version, then you probably are.Click here to enlarge
    doooohhh...you win!! Click here to enlarge

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    226.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    What wheels, tires, and pressure are you running?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    What wheels, tires, and pressure are you running?
    19" RAC Rg4s, with PS2s front and Nt-05s rear all at 30-32 psi.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    293
    Rep Points
    226.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 930chas Click here to enlarge
    19" RAC Rg4s, with PS2s front and Nt-05s rear all at 30-32 psi.
    darn, doesn't get much better than that for 19"

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    616
    Rep Points
    629.9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    7



    Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by spdu4ea Click here to enlarge
    darn, doesn't get much better than that for 19"
    Haha..Thanks!! I love my set-up.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •