Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

DCT software protects transmission? Huh? What?

Had to address this comment by mikewads along with several others:

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mikewads
    I believe the ESS DCT software has helped prolong the life of the DCT clutches since it engages each gear with more force (less likely to slip).
    This makes no sense, the limitation on the clutches is hardware. How exactly are you engaging the clutches with more force? All that can be changed is the line pressure which is what BMW already changed in their software update to reduce lag for the DCT. There are no other parameters and engaging the clutch with more force as you say (which is just your imagination) does not help preserve anything.

There is no software that can raise physical capability of the hardware, it does not exist. The so-called DCT software can do nothing but change the line pressure, that's it. It can't make the car shift any faster, it already shifts as fast as the hardware will allow.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by biglare
    I have the ESS VT2-600 kit and also have their DCT software installed on my E90 M3. I have had my car on the track without any issues at all. There is absolutely NO slipping and NO overheating and NO error codes. The DCT software actually improves shifting and the shifts are very quick and precise.
    No overheating? Really? Let me drive it. $1000 says I get it to overheat. Take me up on it, let's see how confident you are in that software. How is software stopping a hardware cooling limitation as you imply? Oh man, magic software the solution to everything, what a joke.

There is a difference between running the roadcourse and the drag strip. Secondly, the software does not improve the shifting and the shifts are already quick and precise stock. I can't believe people are buying into complete nonsense.

NOBODY has control of the transmission. No has been able to actually change the shift parameters, launch control rpm limits, redline in auto mode, etc. Until someone demonstrates this ability all that is being done is simply changing the pressure of fluid which actually is harder on your discs, not easier.

I can not wait until my car is done so I can put an end to this nonsense and it will be done with hardware changes to the transmission, not software. I'll meet you head to head and we will see how great your "software" really is.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I would say that there is a slim possibility of software improving power handling capability.

In regards to the hardware, yes the actual gearset is not going to change with software. The overall gear tooth design obviously is set in stone and cant change, that is one weak link.

The main shaft, of course you cant change this, and etc... All the hardware cant change.

What I think they are trying to do, and as you mentioned; it play with the hydraulic circuit. Depending on the circuit structure it is possible they may be toying with clutch plate pressure.

In fact increasing the plate pressure can increase the clutch plate torque capacity. Now; THIS DOESNT MEAN THE TRANSMISSION CAN HANDLE MORE POWER. All it means is the clutches can handle more torque before slipping, and; when they do slip under this newly applied force they will be worn down MUCH faster.

I have a book in front of me on clutch design, the equation that represents torque capacity of an axial clutch is directly proportional to applied force, friction coefficient and inner and out diameter.

But as you said, this doesnt change the power handling capability of 99% of the rest of the transmission.

I bet you that software is probably harder on the transmission, it may seem stronger because its no slipping; but those clutch packs are going to turn into glass very soon.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

you should pay for the DCT tune on someone elses car... and see test drive it your self. Also Id be curious to see if at the drag when doing a burnout out, then hitting some 1/4 miles runs back to back if it doesnt over heat.... and doesnt the car tell you that to protect the tranny? Cause the tranny tune cant change the temps the tranny is getting up to...so then wouldnt it just be running at high temps and hurting it?
    Current:
    14 Viper TA
    Wsir - 1:28:9
    Buttonwillow C13 - 1:54:1

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DD GT3 RD Click here to enlarge
    you should pay for the DCT tune on someone elses car... and see test drive it your self. Also Id be curious to see if at the drag when doing a burnout out, then hitting some 1/4 miles runs back to back if it doesnt over heat.... and doesnt the car tell you that to protect the tranny? Cause the tranny tune cant change the temps the tranny is getting up to...so then wouldnt it just be running at high temps and hurting it?
    I would also like to see this "improved" shifting time though. Last I checked the faster bolt on DCT cars all didn't have this software? Also, the fastest boost only cars don't have it? Weird.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    In fact increasing the plate pressure can increase the clutch plate torque capacity. Now; THIS DOESNT MEAN THE TRANSMISSION CAN HANDLE MORE POWER. All it means is the clutches can handle more torque before slipping, and; when they do slip under this newly applied force they will be worn down MUCH faster.
    Exactly correct... nice to have one place with the right info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    How exactly are you engaging the clutches with more force? All that can be changed is the line pressure which is what BMW already changed in their software update to reduce lag for the DCT. There are no other parameters and engaging the clutch with more force as you say (which is just your imagination) does not help preserve anything.
    There is no software that can raise physical capability of the hardware, it does not exist. The so-called DCT software can do nothing but change the line pressure, that's it. It can't make the car shift any faster, it already shifts as fast as the hardware will allow.
    I had the latest BMW DME & DCT software installed at my dealer before the ESS DCT software was installed and I can tell you the car shifts firmer with the ESS software. A firmer shift will help prolong the life of the stock clutches. Also when I'm at WOT in MANUAL mode it will shift to the next gear on its own before hitting the rev limiter, which is something the stock software can't do unless its in Auto.

AJ told me the factory DCT software is programmed with a more gradual engagement to avoid wheelspin during gearshifts, so what ESS does is replace this gradual engagement for a much more aggressive enagement to avoid heat build up during gear engagement. This in turn helps the clutches last longer. Other changes include parameters in the transmission that deal with load control, shift logic, and torque modulation during WOT auto downshifts.

It's been obvious for sometime that you don't like this product nor do you like ESS. Just let it go...

What I think they are trying to do, and as you mentioned; it play with the hydraulic circuit. Depending on the circuit structure it is possible they may be toying with clutch plate pressure.
    I agree, but if the software can keep those clutches from overheating and slipping even a little bit it will help in the long run.

I bet you that software is probably harder on the transmission, it may seem stronger because its no slipping; but those clutch packs are going to turn into glass very soon.
    Once the clutches start slipping your $#@! out of luck anyway.
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust
    10.87 @ 131 mph in the 1/4 Mile
    60-130 MPH in 6.23 secs (Nitrous)
    60-130 MPH in 6.87 secs (Boost only @ 7.5psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikewads Click here to enlarge
    I had the latest BMW DME & DCT software installed at my dealer before the ESS DCT software was installed and I can tell you the car shifts firmer with the ESS software. A firmer shift will help prolong the life of the stock clutches. Also when I'm at WOT in MANUAL mode it will shift to the next gear on its own before hitting the rev limiter, which is something the stock software can't do unless its in Auto.
    How does the car shift firmer? How do you know it isn't just your imagination? Why would a "firmer" shift prolong the life of the clutches? As I said, all you can do is up the line pressure, harder, not easier, on the clutch discs.

Shift on its own before hitting the limiter? So you can't take advantage of a raised redline? It is supposed to be manual mode not auto mode but I can see how this is necessary to prevent slamming into the limiter. I would not be surprised if this was a BMW software update that does this but first time I heard of it.

Still, where is demonstration of ability of control all the parameters of the transmission? Launch control RPM, auto shift rpm, etc? They don't have it, nobody does.

AJ told me the factory DCT software is programmed with a more gradual engagement to avoid wheelspin during gearshifts, so what ESS does is replace this gradual engagement for a much more aggressive enagement to avoid heat build up during gear engagement. This in turn helps the clutches last longer. Other changes include parameters in the transmission that deal with load control, shift logic, and torque modulation during WOT auto downshifts.
    AJ, there is a stand up character. What you want is the clutches to slip, not engage abruptly, as that is harder on the driveline. Abrupt engagement hurts the driveline and puts stress on the discs/trans. That is why launch control is programmed to slip the discs not just be a clutch dump. That is the way it is supposed to work.

What generates heat in the DCT is the way it functions, as in, the gear change. It isn't how quickly clutches are engaged that is generating most of the heat, it is forcing one shaft with gears to rapidly engage. No offense, but you just aren't thinking this through and are buying into marketing. How do you explain the performance of cars without "software" eh?

How about that SSP has disassembled my entire transmission and states that no one has programming for the transmission as no one has cracked it just like the problem C63 AMG owners are having with their transmissions? The parameters changed with this "software" are in the ECU, and they deal with torque limits and line pressure. There is nothing else that can be done, it is very simple.

It's been obvious for sometime that you don't like this product nor do you like ESS. Just let it go...
    What I do not like is BS. Going around saying your software protects the transmission just makes you seem like a blind fanboy, no offense. Especially when I have spent more time with aspects of this transmission than well, anyone. Who do you think has more experience with DCT's? SSP or ESS? Which company specializes in them? I know who I go to for my info, the only company who has built upgraded clutch discs for the DCT as well as fully disassembled one.

There is no support for any of the claims, none. Why are you buying into it? You are smarter than that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

0 out of 9 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

This post by biglare is hidden due to excessive negative ratings. Click expand to view the post.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by biglare Click here to enlarge
    Sticky you are just jealous because ESS figured out a way to tune the DCT and your car has been down for a year. Why don't you get the ESS DCT software and try it out for yourself. Why don't you get your parents to buy you the ESS DCT software since you are still living with them and they are financing Gintani! Yeah, I saw the video! Hahahahaaa!!!
    Yes, I am extremely jealous because ESS with their genius tuning, that still hasn't solved misfires, is absolutely incredible. Are you seriously blind? Why don't you think about the actual phsyical hardware and see if anything said made sense?

Please don't try and make things personal because you are not capable of debating the topic. Secondly, I have no idea how if I live with my parents I'm staring at the ocean in Malibu right now? Maybe you should tell them I haven't been home in years as they are probably worried by now? Actually, I think you are the kid living off mommy and daddy due to your immaturity but I could care less. Financing Gintani? You saw a video and immediately accepted it all as true? No surprise, you aren't the brightest bulb.

Stick to the topic you might fare better.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

What video is he referring to?

Also, I'm the guy who posted that thread over there and it seemed to die shortly after...
    ...are there any ESS representatives on this forum? This looks to be a good debate...

This is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger, I'm worried about the DCT tranny...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ERM324 Click here to enlarge
    What video is he referring to?
    Made up nonsense that he bought into. Just typical mud slinging people result to when they can't debate the topic.

Also, I'm the guy who posted that thread over there and it seemed to die shortly after...
    Well, the best DCT info is actually here. Click here to enlarge

This is the only thing holding me back from pulling the trigger, I'm worried about the DCT tranny...
    Stronger clutch discs are available, nothing to worry about. Also, a custom cooling system for DCT's is being wrapped up right now. I expect SSP to send me the details ASAP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

kk cool I'll keep checking that thread

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

kk cool I'll keep checking that thread
    Ya, I'm waiting for updates from SSP which they have been promising to send for some time now. So, hopefully I will have you guys all updated soon as my custom transmission is done. We'll see what I can do to this one Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sticky i respect your freedom of speech but i have been paying close attention to your comments and all I'm gonna say is not cool !!!
    From what I can gather ESS is a standup company with nothing but 100% happy customers .
    It seems you and a handfull of people simply don't like nor respect ESS , dunno why but it not cool ...
    I have chosen to go with ESS and im gonna ship my car out so I can take advantage of this Tranny software !!!
    Good stuff mike wads ::: respect:::

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SunocoCAM2 Click here to enlarge
    From what I can gather ESS is a standup company with nothing but 100% happy customers .
    I do not disagree.

It seems you and a handfull of people simply don't like nor respect ESS , dunno why but it not cool
    Well, loss of respect may come from things like inflated dyno numbers and legal threats. I fully believe they offer a great kit which is a great option for a lot of people.

I have chosen to go with ESS and im gonna ship my car out so I can take advantage of this Tranny software !!!
    Hey, if that makes you happy and that is your choice more power to you. The more enthusiasts we have the better, I just recommend you learn as much as you can about the transmission.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

I would say that there is a slim possibility of software improving power handling capability.
    I'm going to get SSP here to comment so people can hear it from the horse's mouth.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Please and thanks, because the thread I created on M3post.com left me thinking that I would have no transmission issues with a VT2-625 kit...
    ...but over here I'm lead to think differently...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Please and thanks, because the thread I created on M3post.com left me thinking that I would have no transmission issues with a VT2-625 kit...
    ...but over here I'm lead to think differently...
    What you have to understand is the DCT has physical limits. If you exceed them, you now have options, thanks to SSP.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

How does the car shift firmer? How do you know it isn't just your imagination? Why would a "firmer" shift prolong the life of the clutches? As I said, all you can do is up the line pressure, harder, not easier, on the clutch discs.
    By increasing the pressure on the clutch it shifts firmer. My imagination??? Whatever....

Shift on its own before hitting the limiter? So you can't take advantage of a raised redline? It is supposed to be manual mode not auto mode but I can see how this is necessary to prevent slamming into the limiter. I would not be surprised if this was a BMW software update that does this but first time I heard of it.
    I don't want a raised redline. No, Roman told me about that feature. Once the DCT software was loaded I tried and it worked.

AJ, there is a stand up character. What you want is the clutches to slip, not engage abruptly, as that is harder on the driveline. Abrupt engagement hurts the driveline and puts stress on the discs/trans. That is why launch control is programmed to slip the discs not just be a clutch dump. That is the way it is supposed to work.
    I totally disagree with you. Slipping clutches create heat, which causes them to break down faster. Reducing slippage can slightly increase the transmission's torque capacity and decrease heat and clutch wear. That's why companies like TransGo and B&M having been making shift kits for years! Where have you been?

What generates heat in the DCT is the way it functions, as in, the gear change. It isn't how quickly clutches are engaged that is generating most of the heat, it is forcing one shaft with gears to rapidly engage. No offense, but you just aren't thinking this through and are buying into marketing. How do you explain the performance of cars without "software" eh?
    I say their clutches are wearing slightly faster than mine. You are act like I'm saying this software totally protects the transmission. I'm only saying the software helps. A software and hardware upgrade would be the ideal solution.

What I do not like is BS. Going around saying your software protects the transmission just makes you seem like a blind fanboy, no offense. Especially when I have spent more time with aspects of this transmission than well, anyone. Who do you think has more experience with DCT's? SSP or ESS? Which company specializes in them? I know who I go to for my info, the only company who has built upgraded clutch discs for the DCT as well as fully disassembled one. There is no support for any of the claims, none. Why are you buying into it? You are smarter than that.
    I'm not the one with the burned up transmission! I've got a perfectly working DCT that has been setting 60-130 records and running 10s in the 1/4 mile, while you in the meantime wait for your car to be repaired. No offense...
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not sure I'm getting the argument here. Is the pressure on the clutch determined by a spring as in a manual transmission, or some sort of controllable pressure (hydraulic?) used? If the former, there is no other way to increase the pressure on the clutch other than changing the spring. If the latter, well, that's kinda cool.

Another question I have that it seems there are two different assumptions here is: where is the heat coming from? The slipping clutch or the gears? A clutch doesn't slip enough to cause much heat unless something's wrong. It is usually the transmission, not the clutch, where the heat is generated I'm pretty sure. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So what if the clutches wear? The wear out, you replace them. It's not that expensive. Happens all the time. Like tires, but not quite as often.

Methinks what the ESS software is doing is limiting the time that clutches are slipping during engagement. Generally speaking, less slipping, less wear. But also, less slipping and more stress on the rest of the drivetrain. I suspect the drivetrain on the E9x M3 is pretty robust, but I'm sure a ham-fisted, er, ham-footed operator could still damage something. So, the fact that DCT is controlled by software then I'm guessing that BMW made it to slip a little more to save the rest of the drivetrain (transmission, differential, drive shafts, etc.) at the (admittedly minimal) expense of the clutch.

I'm sure Sticky will chime in, but I believe his transmission is not being repaired; it is being retrofitted from 6MT. And it will be an upgraded DCT too.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

does the dct shift at different speeds at different rpms like the smg?? if so i know on the smg tune that is one parameter they tune for, they increase shift speed at different rpms and also throttle positions, @wot it shifts faster than if your sunday driving. So between all the changes the tranny does shift faster and feel more crisp but i dont know if the dct works the same

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

By increasing the pressure on the clutch it shifts firmer. My imagination??? Whatever....
    *If* it increases the line pressure depending on the shift mode after an update BMW issued that does exactly that. I wonder how many just get the BMW software update and then think their car improved due to a third party? I hear some tuning company does something similar issuing P31 software updates and calling it a tune. Regardless, glad you see this is the only parameter that can be changed.

I don't want a raised redline. No, Roman told me about that feature. Once the DCT software was loaded I tried and it worked.
    Cool, I'm glad it works for you. You don't want a raised redline? Ok, and what if I want a 8800 rpm redline in auto mode 3 for gears 1-3 and I want a lower redline for gears 4 and 5 and for 6 then 7? Can they do that? No.

I totally disagree with you. Slipping clutches create heat, which causes them to break down faster. Reducing slippage can slightly increase the transmission's torque capacity and decrease heat and clutch wear. That's why companies like TransGo and B&M having been making shift kits for years! Where have you been?
    Slipping a clutch generates heat. But on the DCT it is the violent forcing of a shaft at insane speed over which generates the majority of the heat. This is why a DCT outputs more heat than a manual. It is the action of the transmission itself by design. Reducing slippage increases wear and driveline shock, as engagement is more abrupt. So if you were to dump the trans at 6200 rpm it would not work as well as slipping it, unless you want to break things.

I say their clutches are wearing slightly faster than mine. You are act like I'm saying this software totally protects the transmission. I'm only saying the software helps. A software and hardware upgrade would be the ideal solution.
    I understand you believe this but what are you basing it on? Do as many launches with launch control at the strip as I have and let me know how it holds up. If you want, I'll do it and pay for your rebuild. If it as I say then you pay, if not, I do. Simple right?

I'm not the one with the burned up transmission! I've got a perfectly working DCT that has been setting 60-130 records and running 10s in the 1/4 mile, while you in the meantime wait for your car to be repaired. No offense...
    No $#@!, because you started doing runs with an SC M3 after I had been there done that. With nitrous you did what, 131? Wow man, good for you not having a burned up transmission. I would rather have a burned up transmission and rebuild it and the motor to run much faster than be stuck with 131 on nitrous. Why would I care that it has to be repaired? If it was head to head we all know what would happen and all that it leads to now is me hitting a level you can't. Get a GTR and let's play, because you have reached your limit on this platform, I haven't.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Do as many launches with launch control at the strip as I have and let me know how it holds up. If you want, I'll do it and pay for your rebuild. If it as I say then you pay, if not, I do. Simple right?
    That has got to be the dumbest idea I've heard in awhile.

No $#@!, because you started doing runs with an SC M3 after I had been there done that. With nitrous you did what, 131? Wow man, good for you not having a burned up transmission. I would rather have a burned up transmission and rebuild it and the motor to run much faster than be stuck with 131 on nitrous. Why would I care that it has to be repaired? If it was head to head we all know what would happen and all that it leads to now is me hitting a level you can't. Get a GTR and let's play, because you have reached your limit on this platform, I haven't.
    Been there done that? Dude you completely failed! You had your supercharger on for what like a week, went to the dragstrip, burned up the DTC trying to get 10sec timepslip, and the car has been down ever since.

....but maybe you can have a great comeback. I'll just have to wait and see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    I'd really be interested in learning about the DCT tuning process. To date this information appears to have been misplaced or hidden for a reason (what is changed, read/write process, quantitative results) - or just omitted honestly. From my experience the module is accessible through the ODB2 - yet the car needs to be done in person. Why would they need to have the car in person for if you can read it from the bench? We all know with any Auto/DCT shifting can be manipulated by Drive by Wiring mapping but does this go beyond that? I'm just curious if they are adjusting engine parameters to manipulate different DCT behavior or they are actually flashing to the DCT module. I do like the feature of having the auto mode enabled so you don't bang the limiter in manual mode. These cars have a not-so-rapid recovery with manual mode rev limiter tagging.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Been there done that? Dude you completely failed! You had your supercharger on for what like a week, went to the dragstrip, burned up the DTC trying to get 10sec timepslip, and the car has been down ever since.

....but maybe you can have a great comeback. I'll just have to wait and see.
    Really? Last I checked before you ever were thinking SC I already ran 130? Hey, at least I could do it on boost alone. I made plenty of runs before the sc wearing out the clutch discs. Simple wear from a ton of launches and I didn't mind getting the trans rebuilt the process which provides for higher capacity clutch discs for people with the DCT as a replacement down the line or for those who want to take it further.

Maybe we should stop trying to make it personal as I honestly have nothing against you but I do believe your interpretation of this issue is incorrect, that is all. I respect you so no need to go down this route.

That has got to be the dumbest idea I've heard in awhile.
    Not quite as stupid as implying because of your "software" somehow your transmission will last longer and launches will be easier on it, please.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast