Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Lightbulb Project: AW///M3 - Photo Buildup

Hey guys,

Just picked up a 2010 E90 M3 AW on black interior. Went with the DCT tranny, all options except cold weather. Heated seats keep the wifey happy up in these hills Click here to enlarge. It's my first time on Bimmerboost, but not a first timer in a 3-Series...they've always been great cars. And of course, I've also still got a bright red AP2 in the stable that will always catch my eye. Click here to enlarge

Just a bit about myself. I'm a 24/7 full-time photographer amongst other things so I figured I'd start a photo adventure of the build-up. I'm going full steam with this project in hopes to make it for MFest and WILL take the plunge on modding, so this should be fun. You'll catch me mainly running around the Diamond Bar / Pomona area so if there are any meets maybe I can catch one before the event? BTW, there's a huge reason why I'm posting up on Bimmerboost too....FI looks very very promising in the near future Click here to enlarge.

Anyways, enjoy! BTW...I also happened to pick up an Akrapovic Evolution based on the quality and reviews I've seen, but I do have comments about the sound/increased power output. :p Pictures and review to follow.

Andrew

Click here to enlarge
    ***building the photos, bear with me***

~~~Modlist~~~

Currently Installed:
    -Akrapovic Evolution Full Ti - 5/5 Service from Pyspeed Eric!

Planned (way too many to list):
    3/2/09 - thinking of suspension mods... spacers and some type of drop are most likely next.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

First thing's first: Akrapovic Evolution Install (part 1)

So after the initial break-in period, it was time to actually mount up the Akrapovic and do a little comparo at the muffler shop. If you're near the OC area and need a reputable install shop, my buddies at OC Muffler are more than well equipped to handle the install, ask for Mike. I also knew that they would be alright with me documenting the process and completely didn't mind taking quick photo breaks. Ask for Mike and as always, they're customer service is top-notch...and an install without any hiccups is easily less than $200.

Pictures:

Click here to enlarge
    -Stock, before going under the knife...

Click here to enlarge
    -Some serious muffler craftsmanship

Click here to enlarge
    -Full Ti Akrapovic system laid out

Click here to enlarge
    -Final words, final views...

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    -The signature Akrapovic tips we're all big fans of Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    -At some points there were times I knew the weight of the stock exhaust had to suck on the removal part.

Click here to enlarge
    -Probably the cleanest I'll ever get to see her undercarriage!

Click here to enlarge
    -And all of a sudden that much easier to hold up during installation

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    -Akra tip placement

Click here to enlarge
    -Thanks again to Mike for his patience on the tip placement.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    -Full Akra Evolution in its entireity.

Click here to enlarge
    -Another final angle at it..

Overall the exhaust install experience went quick and painless. Took about an hour and a half since I went on a weekday (possibly a bit more with my picture-taking interruptions). I've had the system on for a few hundred miles and I'll definitely throw my input and review out there next.

I do want to give special thanks to Pyspeed/Eric for working with me on an an the entire Akra system. :thumbsup: I even had it in the bag before I picked up the M and he was helpful every step of the way about providing pics, reviews, etc. I'll throw this in real quick though... the "drone" that people say isn't there, well it's there alright, but manageable compared to some of the vids I've studied. A more detailed review to follow.

And also, thanks Mike at OCMuffler! Sometimes it's worth the drive out for peace of mind during an install especially while I'm documenting...great customer service just can't be beat!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Wow.... this is an incredibly high quality post.

Welcome! Happy to have you here, great introduction Click here to enlarge

Set up your garage if you get a chance please! Would be great to have this car in there along with the parts and superb pics.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wow.... this is an incredibly high quality post.

Welcome! Happy to have you here, great introduction Click here to enlarge

Set up your garage if you get a chance please! Would be great to have this car in there along with the parts and superb pics.
    Hey Sticky, no problem! Learning all about this place, but for sure I'll keep the detailed mods coming Click here to enlarge. Thanks for the welcome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Welcome to the forum!

Glad you got the same exhaust.

only thing if I where you I would get a tune right away so you don't get a CEL. Gintani would be your best choice.

or you can just got and get a Gintani supercharger its faster and actually saves you more money if you plan to go down that road.

again nice ride!
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very nice! Can't wait to see what you do with the car, I love the Akropovic system. What are you shooting with? Hope to see your car around the area.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Phiberglass Click here to enlarge
    Very nice! Can't wait to see what you do with the car, I love the Akropovic system. What are you shooting with? Hope to see your car around the area.
    Got lots of things planned before MFest. I shoot with twin 5d Mk2s Click here to enlarge.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    Hey Welcome to the forum!

Glad you got the same exhaust.

only thing if I where you I would get a tune right away so you don't get a CEL. Gintani would be your best choice.

or you can just got and get a Gintani supercharger its faster and actually saves you more money if you plan to go down that road.

again nice ride!
    Hm, yep I did hear about that CEL. When it comes up though, that's not a bad idea Click here to enlarge. Big decisions to make before Mfest!

Review of the Akra coming up, and sound clips when I can Click here to enlarge.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Akrapovic Evolution (Ti) Review:

Warning: this is going to look like Ca$hOnly's type of Akra review because I liked the way he laid it out Click here to enlarge.

Purchased:
    Again, the guys at PySpeed got me hooked even before the delivery of the vehicle. Eric's been nothing but a pleasure to deal with! I had a huge itch once the break-in period was comfortably over! Will likely purchase from these guys again in the future.

Quality:

At first viewing, I had to convince myself that something 'aftermarket' can actually come this...beautiful. It's truly an experience to see and feel the exhaust even though I've read countless many stories and threads about it. It was a toss up between the Gintani and Meisterschaft's which would have saved a CHUNK of change, but you only live once? And it's just that damn clean looking. I have personally never seen anything better built in an exhaust system.

Sound / Drone:

I've actually heard a Meisterschaft GT in person and while it's awesomely obnoxious, it's quite a bit much in RESONANCE for me... it's literally ear-drum shattering at times, believe me, I like that it's over the top, but this M has to be a bit tame more often than not.

But the Akra is a perfect balance of in-car and out-of-car noise, picks up in a great tone when WOT, and quiets down to civilization (to almost silence) at cruising speeds. I have to mention though, all reviews mentioning "no drone" are in my experience false...there's a good 'drone' alright, but it's in the low MPH area even when trying to be easy... until you pass 2-3KRPM and/or 1st gear, then any drone remaining eases up to easy listening.

Now at WOT or when revving, something's there alright, but in a sort of natural ramp of volume. Something's mean and the V8 sound is obvious, which is perfect. Growl when you want it and never when you don't.

Driving / "The Butt Dyno"
    I think the moment the Akra was bolted on I noticed the car just shifting easier into the next gear and really not just due to an eager lead foot! There's a certain 'breathing' difference in smooth power delivery. Its almost expected from the Akra build quality though, but you can most definitely feel it, especially from 3-5K rpms... just more grunt. The car just wants to get up and go Click here to enlarge. There are enough of us out there now anyway :p.

Videos:
    Yes, I have exhaust videos of right when the system was bolted on and I'll likely host them on VIMEO or YouTube when they've been reduced to something smaller than 170mb each!!

Hope this review helps in exhaust system choice, not saying everyone should go out and Akra themselves, but I think small contributions like these help everyone who's on the fence about their wants/needs.

Cheers,

Andrew

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Video comparo is up! How's everyone's weekend been!?

Stock!

Akra installed...

Literal walkthrough.... thanks again to Mike @ OCMuffler!

Andy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It is always hard for me to tell the difference in vidoes. I am planning on purchasing this system, but I drive my car 100 miles 3 days/week on the freeway. I am usually cruising right about 3,000 rpm. My biggest worry would be drone on the freeway since this is my "alone time" when I like to listen to music and enjoy the car. Do you see this as a problem?

By the way, thanks for the review and pics!
    2011 E92 M3 - Space Gray, ZCP, ZTP, ZCW, ZPP, 2MK, 302, 5AC, 752 & more!!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    It is always hard for me to tell the difference in vidoes. I am planning on purchasing this system, but I drive my car 100 miles 3 days/week on the freeway. I am usually cruising right about 3,000 rpm. My biggest worry would be drone on the freeway since this is my "alone time" when I like to listen to music and enjoy the car. Do you see this as a problem?

By the way, thanks for the review and pics!
    No problem man... my freeway driving experience with this exhaust would have to be, non-drone if I'm just cruising in my "alone time". For some reason too, I believe it's the gear you're in. At a steady cruise, I forget I just lost a few thousand dollars to a new exhaust Click here to enlarge...i.e. I haven't experienced it as a problem, lol. Good luck!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thanks for the quality post and videos. Congrats on the new exhaust btw Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 1036E90M Click here to enlarge
    No problem man... my freeway driving experience with this exhaust would have to be, non-drone if I'm just cruising in my "alone time". For some reason too, I believe it's the gear you're in. At a steady cruise, I forget I just lost a few thousand dollars to a new exhaust Click here to enlarge...i.e. I haven't experienced it as a problem, lol. Good luck!
    Thanks for the reply. I think I am pretty much convinced that this is the exhaust for me.

By the way, my new baby (2011 E92 M3) is being born today !! Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welcome to BB and that is an awesome post! Thanks for all that info and im glad you have an E90 m3 cos thats what i plan on getting sometime ASAP. The AKRA would be my choice along with the full Supersprint system. cant wait to see more updates.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is awesome.... when is it due to arrive???

OP, the new exhaust is pure sexiness IMO.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SSDD Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the quality post and videos. Congrats on the new exhaust btw Click here to enlarge
    Haha, thanks, more to come!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BMW3R Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the reply. I think I am pretty much convinced that this is the exhaust for me.

By the way, my new baby (2011 E92 M3) is being born today !! Click here to enlarge
    Congrats! Link your thread too!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Welcome to BB and that is an awesome post! Thanks for all that info and im glad you have an E90 m3 cos thats what i plan on getting sometime ASAP. The AKRA would be my choice along with the full Supersprint system. cant wait to see more updates.
    Small things and then a few more big things Click here to enlarge. Yup, loving every second of the drive!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 Click here to enlarge
    That is awesome.... when is it due to arrive???
    OP, the new exhaust is pure sexiness IMO.
    -LOL, thanks!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Small Updates, Performance Grills and Sidemarkers

Performance grills got here, thanks Evan @ Tischer BMW Click here to enlarge.

The big before and afters...

Click here to enlarge
    -Not digging the chrome so much...are you guys?

Click here to enlarge
    -Much better frontal upgrade. Wasn't too bad to DIY, btw... took less than 20 minutes to pop in and out and all I needed was a flathead and some good squeezing techniques Click here to enlarge.

Fitment is superb (no surprises) and quality is excellent. Ordered some sidemarkers from iND for $75 shipped (thanks Andrew@iND) but they're expected to arrive tomorrow Click here to enlarge... Getting a drop for my next big mod after the reflectors!

Andy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Those grills looks great!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Those grills looks great!
    Thanks man, just keeping trying to keep up!

Some updates!

Alright guys, the iND painted reflectors finally came in Click here to enlarge. Was seriously looking to get rid of the orange reflectors so here we go:

Click here to enlarge
    -Thanks Andrew@iND!

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Definitely loving the clean look here, do have a couple notes...but of course nothing to really write home about.

The painted markers are a 99.5% perfect fit, they did seem to lift up a bit on the inner corners on both sides of the car, they're an OEM part though so my guess is that they just need to be on the ride to settle in. I'm extremely happy though and feel that they're a definite MUST to have.

AND...the big parts that got here earlier than expected! Teasers...because I'm not slapping them on until I get a drop which is also coming soon.

Click here to enlarge
    -Thanks Eric@PySpeed!... for convincing me over last weekend to just have a quick wheel and tire package. I'm surprised these actually came this fast...kinda begs me to get this girl lowered!

Click here to enlarge
    -And yes, running on Yokohama Advan's AD-08s and Alufelgen SF-71s Matte Blacks! I'm happy that the wheel and tires (for now..) provided came with TPMS as well.

Specs: 245/35/19F, 275/30/19R

Cheers!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The much anticipated CEL right? :\

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    I've heard there is a solution to this problem but if anyone has any better suggestions, well... this will in time annoy me greatly. Help?

Anyway onto better news, I got her dropped on KW V3s thanks to the boys at Rennspec! Completely excellent work! I would like to mention that I've had KWs in the past and had always loved the ride...same applies here. Not too stiff, but definitely feeling more confident during curvy on/off ramps Click here to enlarge. Pomonians are next to Carbon Canyon and getting distance in the hills is actually pretty easy.

Went with a conservative drop since I'm not a fan of rubbing or trying to roll a fender that can't be rolled. I have room for adjustment, but I'm happy for now.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I'm feeling like a dark tint would do well with the matte black SF-71s but we'll see. I'm loving the black/white look so far.

Enjoy! Not too sure what else is next with MFEST around the corner!

Andy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Looking sexy Bro!
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Seriously, looks great!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Your car is looking awesome.

My 2011 E92 is now sitting at the port waiting to get on a ship! I have waiting for the car the Akra Evo exhaust, an AFE high flow filter and Matt at Powerchip will be helping with the tune. I got the competition package, so wheels and springs will already be on the car from the factory. I'll post pics when the car is here in the next few weeks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

can you guys guess the next teaser?

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge thanks to Eric@PySpeed for the SUPER FAST shipping! Really did not expect to even have a teaser this week!

Andy

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2084 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    ^ I guess I'm missing it, what is it?