Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No

Post JB4 User Adjustable Variables

I have not been able to find any info for some of the new user adjustable variables for the JB4.

I've decided to make a list and hopefully you guys can help me fill it in. I will edit it appropriately as new information becomes available, and maybe one day it will become a sticky as a JB4 User Adjustable reference.

Also included is an up-to-date hot-key reference.

Manual Mapping = Adjustable boost targets per RPM (Map6 Only)

These values are meant to be adjusted, and are individual boost targets per 500 RPM step, starting at 1500RPM and ending at 7000RPM.

8.0 = 8psi
    12.5 =12.5psi
    (you get the idea)

BE CAREFUL WHEN GOING OVER 14PSI! Race gas and/or methanol injection may be necessary for higher boost levels.

Always log your car after setting up a custom map in order to ensure that you are not getting timing dropouts or other problems that could indicate knock activity.

Global Settings

This value is meant to be adjusted. Boost Limit = Absolute boost level that the JB4 will allow.

Use this variable as a way to protect your car from boosting past a pressure that you are comfortable with. Should be adjusted appropriately for your mods, be careful.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Lagfix = Closes the waste-gates to pre-spool the turbos during light throttle.

This variable allows the user to adjust how aggressively the JB4 will close the waste-gates under light load to help the turbos be slightly pre-spooled so that you hit your boost target faster when you go full throttle.
    The higher the number, the more the waste-gates will be closed under light load.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Boost Gain = Not completely sure, but this sounds like it affects how fast your waste-gates will open or close, therefore changing your boost response.

My guess is the higher the number, the faster boost response you will get, but the higher chance of overshoot you will have.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Auto Shift Damper = Need help on this one as well.

I believe this setting is to prevent codes being thrown from the automatic transmission during shifts. It probably uses throttle closure and/or boost reduction.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted without permission from Terry. Feed Forward Max = I have no clue on this, need Terry's help.

I believe it modifies some relation between your requested throttle and actual throttle position.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted without permission from Terry. Air/Fuel Additive = Amount of Fuel Enrichment.

I believe this variable is used to adjust the Air/Fuel ratio. This is important because running too lean under boost or nitrous can cause very high cylinder temperatures and lead to pre-ignition/detonation. The Air/Fuel ratio is also very important when tuning to extract maximum safe power out of your motor.

The higher the number, the more extra fuel is added. (richer)

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Bogfix = Need help on this one guys.

It is to prevent shift bogging, but I am not sure if it is for autos only or manuals as well. Not sure how it works, hopefully Terry can chime in.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. FuelIP Safety = No clue, need Terry's help.

I'm guessing this stands for Fuel Injector Pulse and is probably a safety in place that will cut boost down when the Injector Pulse Duty gets too high. This is very usefull for people pushing the boundaries of the fuel system because if max duty cycle is reached yet boost continues to build, no more fuel can be added and the car will run extremely lean and possibly detonate.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Future Use A = No idea.

I do not recommend adjusting this value from it's default valve. (0)

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Future Use B = No idea.

This value is meant to be adjusted. 1st Gear boost Redux = Allows the user to reduce the max boost level while in first gear.

The setting is used in order to help maintain traction in first gear. As far as I know, the target cannot be below stock boost level. There will be changes made to the way the variable is entered so I will update this later.

This value is meant to be adjusted. 2nd Gear boost Redux = Allows the user to reduce the max boost level while in second gear.

The setting is used in order to help maintain traction in first gear. As far as I know, the target cannot be below stock boost level. There will be changes made to the way the variable is entered so I will update this later.

Warning: This value is NOT meant to be adjusted. Future Use D = No idea.

Informational/Read Only

This is data only and not user adjustable.

Baro Pressure = Barometric Pressure, based on altitude and air temperature. Probably used for MAP sensor calibration.

Firmware Ver = Firmware Version. This is the date that your JB4 firmware was published. The firmware is the HEX code that you flash onto your JB4 using the JB4 Interface.

Interface Ver = Interface Version. This is the date that your JB4 Interface software was published. This is the program that allows you to create logs and modify adjustable user variables. It is wise to uninstall your old JB4 interface version before installing a new one.

Avg Ign Retard = I believe this is the average amount of ignition timing being pulled in degrees. Will likely be used for auto-tuning when it is ready.

Avg FF Adapt = A Feed Forward variable. Will likely be used for auto-tuning when it is ready.

JB4 Hot-Keys

F1 = Start logging. Note: when you first start the JB4 Interface it will automatically begin logging. Also, after pressing F1, wait for the previous chart to disappear before beginning your new log, or else you will be missing the beginning of your new log.

F2 = Stop logging and plot chart. Note: This does not automatically save your log. If you have created a satisfactory log, be sure to save it before exiting the "Logging" tab or starting a new log.

F4 = Change logging display X-axis to five second increments. This is useful for getting a closer look at your logged data.

F5 = Change logging display X-axis to ten second increments. This is useful for getting a wider view of your logged data.

F6 = Export logged data to JPG. JPG is a very common image format. Use this hot-key to create a photo of the log currently being viewed. This is a great way to share data with other people as it can be posted online or emailed. It is also useful for comparing logs side-by-side.

F7 = Export logged data to CSV. CSV stands for Comma Separated Value. On Windows operating systems, this data will usually be viewed in spread-sheet form in a program such as Microsoft Excel. This form of logging is very useful for viewing exact data values per RPM. Each time you capture a log in JPG, be sure to also capture it as CSV too. Terry loves to look at these. Click here to enlarge

F8 = Open a previously saved CSV. This will allow you to view previous logs. The JB4 interface will build a graph based on the saved values.
    Last edited by fundahl; 01-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    +1000
    esto es una gran idea

esperemos que evolucione todo esto y sea de ayuda
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    a good place to start. once all info is know, shoudl be a sticky Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Cool !

SUPER!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    a good place to start. once all info is know, shoudl be a sticky Click here to enlarge
    Terry said he is going to make one himself when everything is finalized, but at least I tried.

I want to understand how each piece works, that's just how I am.

Lol I wanted to be cool. My heart is broken. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Future use A and B are probably to VINlock the JB4 Click here to enlarge
    There are two theories to arguing with women. Neither one works

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Updated with hot-keys and some minor updates.
    Last edited by fundahl; 01-11-2011 at 11:48 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Very cool. thanks for putting it together.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    Very cool. thanks for putting it together.
    You're welcome. Click here to enlarge

Wish I knew more on some of the variables.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    LOL I'll write up a few of them later. But it's sort of pointless when I know some will change, some I never want anyone to touch, etc. Really all you'll ever change is the boost limit, gear dependent boost settings, maybe do a custom map 6, and some of you who like tooning may adjust the AFR and FFMAX parameters.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    LOL I'll write up a few of them later. But it's sort of pointless when I know some will change, some I never want anyone to touch, etc. Really all you'll ever change is the boost limit, gear dependent boost settings, maybe do a custom map 6, and some of you who like tooning may adjust the AFR and FFMAX parameters.
    Then I will update it as needed or erase it completely. Some people may like the hot-key reference, even though it is easy to figure out on the interface. Just trying to expose people to some things they didn't know.

I can re-do it with only variables that you wan't certain users to play with. Or I can delete it all but the hot keys, and re-title as "JB4 Hot-Key Reference."

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does the JB4 have a speed delimiter, or do you still have to buy that item seperately?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Does not and we still don't suggest using one if under any type of warranty. But for all others it's $80 to add it on if you need it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'm out of my 2 year warranty period. That's why I now am going to tune my car. Didn't want to do that under warranty. And Germany is not too far away Click here to enlarge
    What is the main risk why you advise against it Terry?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    It's a sticky...

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry,

One of my buddies mentioned last night about the jb4 not being able to adjust ignition timing. I really have no idea about that or whether any other product does or doesn't. Can you comment on that for me?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    Terry,

One of my buddies mentioned last night about the jb4 not being able to adjust ignition timing. I really have no idea about that or whether any other product does or doesn't. Can you comment on that for me?
    Uh oh, here we go.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Uh oh, here we go.
    Like I said, I have no idea what he's talking about. I wanted an explanation. I think Terry's products are wonderful, so if he didn't include something, there's a valid explanation. I figured the best place to get that would be Terry rather than forum banter from guys who suck Shiv's cock for recreation.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Like I said, I have no idea what he's talking about. I wanted an explanation. I think Terry's products are wonderful, so if he didn't include something, there's a valid explanation. I figured the best place to get that would be Terry rather than forum banter from guys who suck Shiv's cock for recreation.
    Absolutely, this particular topic just happens to be a major point of contention in the BMS vs. Vishnu saga and tends to bring out the fanboys in droves. 30 pages later maybe we will have a good answer.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Absolutely, this particular topic just happens to be a major point of contention in the BMS vs. Vishnu saga and tends to bring out the fanboys in droves. 30 pages later maybe we will have a good answer.
    Terry doesn't beat around the bush. I'm sure he'll say what/why. Whatever the reason, the products and the performance speak for themselves.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry,

There was a debate about this that was about as bad as the Gintani vs ESS supercharger thread.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    There was a debate about this that was about as bad as the Gintani vs ESS supercharger thread.
    I don 't care to debate. A single post from Terry should be more than adequate in lieu of a debate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Definitely always some beating around the bush when it comes to this question.

BG

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2088 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I don 't care to debate. A single post from Terry should be more than adequate in lieu of a debate.
    Well, we will see what he has to say.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    637 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Terry,

The DME does the majority of the timing adjustment through its long and short term trims as it does with all other piggybacks. We intervene during transitions and special circumstances (like during meth failure or spool up) when needed. Timing values average 3-5 degrees lower than stock with the JB4. The notion that the JB3 or JB4 runs stock timing values at double the boost is ridiculous. We're coming up on 5000 cars tuned between those platforms now with tens of millions of hard customer driven miles. If advance was stock not a single car would make it around the block without blowing a headgasket. The debate is really whether our timing control method is better or worse than the next guys but we've proven our methods work very well over the years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast