Close

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

N54 cylinder head improvement discussion - porting, polishing, flow, etc.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    yes you have, and i have something to compare to now that i have the equipment. you and i have worked from opposite ends and will soon meet in the middle.
    Remember that N54 cylinder head is really restrictive and you should upgrade it as Enrita has done for being able to reach similar figures.

Actually it would be better to open it even more from the exhaust side.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 654 Click here to enlarge
    Remember that N54 cylinder head is really restrictive and you should upgrade it as Enrita has done for being able to reach similar figures.

Actually it would be better to open it even more from the exhaust side.
    Do we have any specs or any idea of how things improved for Enrita from the head work alone?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Do we have any specs or any idea of how things improved for Enrita from the head work alone?
    I believe we don't. Also, Enrita had other additional changes to the head job so that the head job cannot be extracted as the only cause. However, based on what we know about a N54 head job and its effect on the flow, it is a major leap forward in performance. Now, I remember Enrita did not go for bigger exhaust valves, so his gains are not as dramatic as can be seen here in PEI330Ci's post. Thanks to PEI330Ci for providing us with the data!
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...0558#post80558

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    very nice data! my shop deemed the exhaust to be well dimensioned while the intake had a huge restriction that they removed. Thats the only thing done to my head besides doing a complete overhaul, cleaning , new valve guides (that had a lot of play) .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

I believe we don't. Also, Enrita had other additional changes to the head job so that the head job cannot be extracted as the only cause. However, based on what we know about a N54 head job and its effect on the flow, it is a major leap forward in performance. Now, I remember Enrita did not go for bigger exhaust valves, so his gains are not as dramatic as can be seen here in PEI330Ci's post. Thanks to PEI330Ci for providing us with the data!
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...0558#post80558

i remember seeing that, and I am aware of enrita's new setup. but i think thats good since he has before data, and now after data, then ill have some of my own, and hopefully soon, some upgraded head/piston data of my own Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by enrita Click here to enlarge
    very nice data! my shop deemed the exhaust to be well dimensioned while the intake had a huge restriction that they removed. Thats the only thing done to my head besides doing a complete overhaul, cleaning , new valve guides (that had a lot of play) .
    I see, well it seems the intake is the area where people should focus if they wish to improve the N54 heads.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

I see, well it seems the intake is the area where people should focus if they wish to improve the N54 heads.
    I disagree with Enrita's shop. They would be right if the head was for NA application. The graphs PCI provided showed the way I believe a good head job is done for N54. In the exhaust side they went to the extent to upgrade the valves. I would do the same.
    Last edited by 654; 12-30-2010 at 03:28 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

yeah definetely i would have done exhaust side as well if this data was provided before the head job i did. Also if you look at the graphs you can see the huge gain in flow from the intake side and the milder one in the exhaust side. so seems there is a huge restriction on the intake side .
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

I disagree with Enrita's shop. They would be right if the head was for NA application. The graphs PCI provided showed the way I believe a good head job is done for N54. In the exhaust side they went to the extent to upgrade the valves. I would do the same.
    Ok, so you are saying both sides should be addressed but it seems Enrita is correct in the intake side being the largest restriction or did the shop simply look at it as an NA head?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Ok, so you are saying both sides should be addressed but it seems Enrita is correct in the intake side being the largest restriction or did the shop simply look at it as an NA head?
    It was Enrita's shop who said the intake side is the largest restriction. However, a turbocharged car aiming at double the stock level power benefits of better than stock escape of gases not only addressing exhaust and DPs, but exhaust ports and valves and turbine wheel.

Yes, both intake and exhaust porting is useful. I believe Enrita's shop might have well ported the exhaust side to some degree but based on their comments they had more emphasis on the intake side.

Another shop has gone further in the exhaust side to the extent of upgrading the exhaust valves. Otherwise we would not have the info on the graph... It would be great to know who they were and what are their comments or reasoning on doing so. From the graphs my estimation is that albeit it has been more costly, their head will flow better as a whole with the bigger exhaust valves.

I know there is a shop close to Miami International airport, PAW motorsport who has done N54 head job and increased the size of the exhaust valves. Something for the locals to have a look at. http://www.pawmotorsport.com/parts/ It can be that the info that PEI posted is from their head.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    well my shop worked the exhaust ports as well but i think they just polished them

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

^ Don't remember if I saw these pics before or not, thanks for putting them up Enrita.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

We did not just polished them up to look pretty. The PEI330Ci's post info was emailed by us couple month ago for his reference. Head was gone thru the process of de-carbonize, Flow benched for CFM & port velocity. Since no fuel actually goes thru the intake port on the HPI, we decided just to polished it nicely (no harm done =).

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

great work on headjob.. and numbers

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Has anyone created a camshaft/valve/valve-spring set for the N54 yet? It would go great with these ported heads and the Rob Beck turbos.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    Has anyone created a camshaft/valve/valve-spring set for the N54 yet? It would go great with these ported heads and the Rob Beck turbos.
    Camshaft I don't believe so but checking with Schrick would be a good idea. Valvles aren't a problem and neither are valve springs, these can be custom made.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I need to hit the lotto
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I wonder how much they charge for that job
    2006 AW/Black ZCP 6MT

Click here to enlarge

E46 M3 Owners of the World <---- Join the FB group!!

Instagram :: @NotSMG.M3

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I think we may be finding out shortly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

No need for cams for this, why people are obsessed with cams for a boosted motor makes no sense. This car has double vanos which can benefit the engine dynamically through the RPM range, becuase its boosted; youll see bigger gains porting and going with larger valves than trying to play with inertial packing via cams. Cams IMO should be done last on the N54, the head needs work.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by folgrz Click here to enlarge
    I called them for a quote to have my head sent to them and machined out + the enlarged exhaust valve and then sent back. The owner wasn't there but he has my name and number and is supposed to call me back. All the current installs have been local only.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    No need for cams for this, why people are obsessed with cams for a boosted motor makes no sense. This car has double vanos which can benefit the engine dynamically through the RPM range, becuase its boosted; youll see bigger gains porting and going with larger valves than trying to play with inertial packing via cams. Cams IMO should be done last on the N54, the head needs work.
    The point is additional power can be gained with cams. Nobody said it should be the first thing done, but it will be part of an entire build if you want to make the N54 serious. The Z32 300zx (VG30DETT) see INSANE top end gains with the newer Jim Wolf Technology race cams. They are hardcore enough that they must be used with upgraded springs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    I think it is more that people want to see the powerband shifted to the right and not such a steep drop off. Even though vanos adjusts it can only do so much with that profile.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    The point is additional power can be gained with cams. Nobody said it should be the first thing done, but it will be part of an entire build if you want to make the N54 serious. The Z32 300zx (VG30DETT) see INSANE top end gains with the newer Jim Wolf Technology race cams. They are hardcore enough that they must be used with upgraded springs.
    What is so special about the Jim Wolf cams? What exactly are insane top end gains?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast