Close

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Turbo e30 build

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Today's progress:
    - New 35mm flywheel bolts to replace the dodgy ones my clutch kit came with that were too short. Bolted up perfectly this time!
    Click here to enlarge
    - Flywheel, cluch and pressure plate fitted.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    - Finished fitting the 6spd to the motor (the diesel box only attaches with the 4 M12 torx bolts) and bolted up the starter motor, ready to drop into car.
    Click here to enlarge
    Australian 2008 135i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | Fuel-It Stage 1 TB Injection | BMR kittyless DPs | RPi GT Race Quad Exhaust | 7" HPF FMIC | DCI | ER Charge Pipe | Tial BOV | Custom backend flash | 2-Step & NLS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    So this happened tonight Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

I had to trim about 20mm off the e28 m5 mounts on the engine side stud and continue the threads further down. This made it slightly easier (still difficult though) to position the engine over the mounts. Like the guides say, don't bolt the mounts into the subframe until after the engine is positioned otherwise you'll never get the engine mount arms onto them.
    Australian 2008 135i 6MT | JB4 G5 ISO | Fuel-It Stage 1 TB Injection | BMR kittyless DPs | RPi GT Race Quad Exhaust | 7" HPF FMIC | DCI | ER Charge Pipe | Tial BOV | Custom backend flash | 2-Step & NLS

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    She runs!!
    So after a year in the making, yesterday was finally the day!

Started first time! More work to be done though. O2 sensors are dead so need to source a replacement. Have heat cycled the engine a few times to check for leaks and all seems well.

Now on to making the exhaust and fitting the intercooler.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Slow but steady progress.
    Fitting the 6 speed diesel box definitely has its "intricacies" with the tilt of the box meaning the shift carrier sat nowhere near where it needed to.

Eventually after lots of cuts, welds and whatever, the shift carrier and linkage aren't even close to resembling the original items. But finally got the angles and positioning basically spot on.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Waiting on my shifter to arrive from the UK then I can put it in and bolt up the driveshaft and finally see this car move under its own power!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Found (hopefully) the source or my tuning woes. Seems the cam angle sensor is in need of replacement. I knew of the weaknesses of these once they get old and knew I should have checked before fitting but I just got too excited to get it in and running.

Click here to enlarge

Anyway all the insulation on the wires is destroyed at least 10cm up inside the shielding so a new sensor has been ordered and will be here in about a week.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nice build, I have just got my m50b28 turbo e30 back from the tuner, made 440bhp & 480ft-lb :-) its on 195s and its 0 degrees here atm, safe to say no grip in any gear lol when are you hoping to have it on the road for?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    lol 195s, does it even move?

i dont have a timeframe for when i expect to be driving it. Theres just too many delays involved with getting stuff where i live despite living in the capital of Australia. i wanted it to be driving over the xmas break but that looks unlikely now unless my new CAS gets here wednesday next week.

still wont have the downpipe and exhaust fabricated though anyway

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The new cam angle sensor arrived so i fitted that asap and it fixed the CEL.

So i filled the diff with redline 75w90 gear oil, started it up and started filling the power steering.
    After bringing it up to temp, i popped it into 1st and rolled out of the garage! First time moving under its own power....however it was short lived. I couldn't engage reverse. Seems the shifter needed some adjusting so using the 3 socket and vice Method i bent the shift lever backwards and towards the right (its a RHD car), then popped it back in and finally had reverse working!

Took it for a couple of laps around the block and all seems well. Need to adjust the steering wheel as it's off centre slightly but otherwise thing are looking positive.

The clutch needs a good bleeding, as do the brakes and I'm yet to start fitting the FMIC but my goal of having it move under its own power over my Xmas Break has been achieved Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fitted up the FMIC yesterday. Got it pretty much perfect fitment wise.

It's a 450x300x76mm core with 2.5" inlet/outlet.

Only hiccup is I need a longer 3" to 2.5" 90 degree reducer to connect to my maf tube.

Those with a keen eye will spot that I have retained a new parallel core a/c condenser and the stock hose routing made to work. No fan unfortunately but we'll see how good a job the diesel clutch fan does at drawing through air at idle.

Also safety wired the radiator into the bottom of the core support and gained about 5mm more clearance from the a/c compressor pulley.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Downpipe done! After thinking this was going to be my most difficult job, I was incredibly lucky with getting the angles perfect first try. Yes the welds are horrible again, however I pressure tested the pipe to 20psi and found no leaks so that all that matters really.
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Welded a bung in the downpipe for my wideband today. I got my argon/co2 gas mix in finally and some solid core wire for the mig. Wow, this is what I've been missing out on by using $#@!ty Flux core. The welds still very average but SO much better than before!

Click here to enlarge

Other things I've been working on include re-fitting the deka 80lb injectors. Had issues with the Orings leaking and messing with my idle so swapped them from the 19lb and lubed with oil and all good.

Need to find a flange for the downpipe that will fit through the tiny space available between the waste gate and the steering shafts. A normal vband won't fit...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    fitted the muffler yesterday. As this is a 318i shell, it only had the cutout in the rear valance for a single tip. I traced the outline of the curve onto some cardboard and copied it onto to valance before cutting with an angle grinder and tidied up with a grinding bit on the dremel. Turned out pretty close i think! For fitting the muffler, i used the original hanger locations with hacked up stock muffler cages. Also used the rear most headshield stud to keep the tips in position where i wanted it.
    Have welded the pipe work from the muffler up until the hanger location under the rear subframe where i have put a vband clamp so that the centre section of the exhaust can be separated from the rear. I would have liked to have finished it this weekend but i need to get a couple more bends before i can mate it up with the rest of the exhaust but i'm glad its getting closer! My flanges for the downpipe should be here on tuesday/wednesday so hopefully that'll be the last of it.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing major today. Fitted the tialQ BOV.
    Also pulled my shift carrier out and starting another one from scratch as I didn't like the quality of the last one.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    also finished the back third of the exhaust and picked up some presents from the airport the other day

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nothing major. Fitted the tialQ BOV.
    Also pulled my shift carrier out and starting another one from scratch as I didn't like the quality of the last one.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    - Finished building my new shift carrier. I'm not setup to weld aluminium unfortunately so a combination of JB weld, then fibreglass will hopefully be sufficient. Had to Bash it pretty hard when trying to get the bushes in and it's holding up easily
    - Found a place to mount my catch can. The mishimoto bracket slots into the space on the coolant reservoir with only minor mods
    - Welded a new flange to end of my downpipe so i can mate it to the rest of the exhaust
    - New tyres arrived for the ESM-002Rs. I went with Nankang NS2R semi-slicks in 205/45/16 for the front and 225/45/16 for the rears. Will get them mounted next week and see how the fitment is.

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Didnt spend too much time with the car this weekend so only got minor things done.

I modified the coil wiring harness so that it exits out of the beauty cover instead of next to the downpipe. Was pretty simple, just opened the wiring cover, cut a groove directly opposite where the existing plug exit was and put it back together.
    Then just cut the beauty cover where it exits. Not the cleanest example, but should work well.

Click here to enlarge

I also wired up the wideband display i bought from george graves. All went smoothly and easily enough. I used the radio switched 12v, ground and illumination wires and the ground and 5v from the innovate lc-2 controller grounds.

All works well however there is about a 0.1 to 0.2 AFR difference between the innovate gauge and this one; nothing major.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Had to make a minor adjustment to the rear carrier support bushing. The driveshaft bolts were lightly tapping the shifter in 2,4&6 gears.

Fixed that through cutting the locating holes off the carrier support bushing and notching it further down. Then bent it so that the bolt would still line up with the body mount. This raised the carrier by about 4mm which was enough to clear the driveshaft.

Drives perfectly now!
    Re-fitted the bonnet and gave it a bit of a clean. Thanks to IG filters for making it look better than it does

Click here to enlarge

Time to tune!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2221 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That is a very good looking E30...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had a few issues i had to deal with in relation to a collapsed PCV valve that resulted in oil being sucked up through the dipstick and all through the engine. I was lucky it didnt hydrolock.
    took a bit to diagnose but in the end just sealed off the dipstick drain from the pcv and all was resolved.
    I've also done some more digging in disassembly to try change some logic for the muffler flap output which is coming along nicely.
    Other than that, just dialing in the idle IPW and cold start tables. I've managed to get the timing to a safe spot with only very minor knock in a couple of areas which i'll fine tune soon.
    Currently i'm just running off wastegate pressure (around 7psi) and its responding nicely.
    Oh and heres a picture of both the cars together Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Couple pics following a bit of a cruise yesterday

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234