Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cobb tuning

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Cobb is a good company, no reason to hate. (unless you had knocking problems on the out-of-box maps, that is bad.)

My friend has one for his 06 STI, works great! The built in "launch-control" is pretty cool for manuals, lets you really dial in the perfect launch rpm and load. It doesn't take very long to switch maps, and you can "un-marry" it from your car for free.

The STI drives just like stock, maybe a bit more low-end probably from timing, until you step on the gas. There is also various live data you can monitor, and you can have the thing dyno-tuned with custom fuel/timing maps.

I think it is a good tune, and will be a good tune for the N54.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    I can change my map from 12 psi to 20 psi in under 15 seconds... With the Cobb it takes several minutes to load the flash you want..
    With the JB4 you can change it in 2 seconds. Click here to enlarge With flash tuning they have some options but are also limited by how the BMW DME works. There are different layers and certain things like detection codes are built in to a layer that you're not supposed to be able to touch. In fact I've found the DME itself is internally inconsistent with tuner codes (DME boost target will be normal but duty cycle will flatline) indicating they are likely embedded in the operating system somewhere. There are work arounds like rescaling airflow but it's all quite a pita. It will be interesting to see what they come up with and how the tuning performs once it hits the street.
    Last edited by Terry@BMS; 12-29-2010 at 02:41 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SlicktopTTZ Click here to enlarge
    The built in "launch-control" is pretty cool for manuals, lets you really dial in the perfect launch rpm and load. It doesn't take very long to switch maps, and you can "un-marry" it from your car for free.
    Forgot, that is a great point, the launch control is cool.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Flash will be always better than piggyback , and the fact that we can dyno tune it is perfect !!!!!! they said they've seen 18 19 psi with race gas so it's not as conservative as GIAC, and wont be as overpriced as giac

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by n54BoostOnCoke Click here to enlarge
    Flash will be always better than piggyback , and the fact that we can dyno tune it is perfect !!!!!! they said they've seen 18 19 psi with race gas so it's not as conservative as GIAC, and wont be as overpriced as giac
    18 to 19 psi with a flash may change things.

The driveability with a flash is supposed to be better, right? One main issue is the meth integration though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cobb is a good company, no reason to hate. (unless you had knocking problems on the out-of-box maps, that is bad.)

My friend has one for his 06 STI, works great! The built in "launch-control" is pretty cool for manuals, lets you really dial in the perfect launch rpm and load. It doesn't take very long to switch maps, and you can "un-marry" it from your car for free.

The STI drives just like stock, maybe a bit more low-end probably from timing, until you step on the gas. There is also various live data you can monitor, and you can have the thing dyno-tuned with custom fuel/timing maps.

I think it is a good tune, and will be a good tune for the N54.
    not hating Click here to enlarge i did have problems with my speed 6 with the out of the box flashes they had, i went and got protuned... the launch feature and FFS was great... i cant wait to see what kind of numbers they bring
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They're working on meth integration for n54 , driveability will deff. be better and it will be much safer as well, this thing will change the game.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you merged the Cobb tune with, say, the new rixster gauge - you would have can ability - o2 fix can work too if cobb doesn't provide and rix decides he wants to do it. Time will tell, for now, IMHO piggies have the edge. Turbo tuning - if they are down doing all of the options out there now and those too come out soon will hurt giac and,'and, like some have said, render giac a costly, detuned option. Meth integration is also to be answered in there approach

Just got off work and realized sticky and coke said the same stuff basically Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by encinitas; 12-30-2010 at 12:18 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)

I would rather just stick to a basic piggy back.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Giac is soon to be dinan minus the hp and some warranty. Fwiw. When I first bought my car, the local dinan dealer said that they did not advise me getting their flash. Why? They said BMW would blame them and they would blame bmw's fuel system. I would then be stuck in a war of who broke my car lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by n54BoostOnCoke Click here to enlarge
    They're working on meth integration for n54 , driveability will deff. be better and it will be much safer as well, this thing will change the game.
    If they can do meth integration with a flash why can't others?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Cobb is a big name in the industry and certainly will throw some weight around in the N54 market. But the biggest thing working against them aside from warranty problems is that the flash tuning to date has not been competitive with piggyback tuning. Then add to that the piggyback features (not likely to show up in a flash) like in dash gauges, autotuning, progressive meth, DPFIX, along with the lower price points, and I think something like this will appeal to guys who would otherwise be going with GIAC, Dinan, or JB+. IMHO.
    I really can't see why you say flashes have not been competitive with piggybacks (aside from being a piggyback manufacturer Click here to enlarge ). I have a GIAC Stage 2 and I can compete with a JB3 Map7-10 at any time. Plus it's smoother and super stable, never had any problems. There have been 11.8s 1/4 mile times with GIAC S2. It has been tested with multiple cars on the race track for almost a year with extended periods of use...and it also has no-nonsense map switching. All these while using the industry-grade ECU's reliability and power to control what is to be controlled.

In regards to Cobb, I think they have the flash-at-home advantage but there is will be a really long way until they can match GIAC's reliability and power levels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge
    I really can't see why you say flashes have not been competitive with piggybacks (aside from being a piggyback manufacturer Click here to enlarge ). I have a GIAC Stage 2 and I can compete with a JB3 Map7-10 at any time. Plus it's smoother and super stable, never had any problems. There have been 11.8s 1/4 mile times with GIAC S2. It has been tested with multiple cars on the race track for almost a year with extended periods of use...and it also has no-nonsense map switching. All these while using the industry-grade ECU's reliability and power to control what is to be controlled.

In regards to Cobb, I think they have the flash-at-home advantage but there is will be a really long way until they can match GIAC's reliability and power levels.
    Your comparing map 7 to map 10? Map 10 is good for mid 11's on a WR car where map 7 ~15 psi low 12's maybe? No doubt flash's are good and Cobb has a great advantage where you can load in a new flash at any time..

Are you in the new England area? Let's run it lol
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

Giac stage 2+ runs equal/slightly faster than a map 7 but as soon as you put meth it will loose even against map 7.
    If giac has meth it will probably run equal to map 7 or maybe win but will loose from map 8 up.
    07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD BMS E85 - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

I think with CAN, there isnt much the flashes can do the piggys cant nowadays. CAN intergration has changed the game for the piggybacks big time.. Among other things like meth integration (if it ever happens) and such, im looking forward to what there stage 2 map brings, but as someone did mention there basic maps were never that great.. Running them in my STI, i was never impress or satisfied until i got a pro tune.

Looking foward to test driving one.. But it has alot to live up to esp. after i test the JB4 next week Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by 5soko; 01-06-2011 at 03:31 PM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cstavaru Click here to enlarge

I have access to a lot of information not posted on forums but in some ways they have been competitive, in other ways not so much so. Certain things are very difficult to do with a flash. Just like other things are difficult to do with a piggyback. But the piggybacks have the advantage of years of development at this point. I'm sure COBB will do well, maybe take GIAC's market share, and then some.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

I want to change maps wirelessly from my blackberry. Terry, get on that please.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    I want to change maps wirelessly from my blackberry. Terry, get on that please.
    Lol that would be harder and take longer than using the dash command....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Lol that would be harder and take longer than using the dash command....
    Why? If an app runs in the background with dedicated speed dial entries to change maps, it would be as easy as holding hold a key for 2 seconds. It could also data log and you could open logs away form the car on your $#@!ing blackberry. Forget I said anything, Terry. I'm opening up shop. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would rather someone implement something like this... Terry?

http://www.exar.com/Common/Content/P...098&ParentID=4

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yomama69 Click here to enlarge
    Why? If an app runs in the background with dedicated speed dial entries to change maps, it would be as easy as holding hold a key for 2 seconds. It could also data log and you could open logs away form the car on your $#@!ing blackberry. Forget I said anything, Terry. I'm opening up shop. Click here to enlarge
    2 seconds is about how long it take for me change maps using the dash command. But I agree the logging on the phone would be really cool, and be able to store and view/email/share them later. Also, being able to change the variables from your phone would be very useful when you don't have your laptop, and much more convenient considering the size and the fact that you usually always have your cell phone.

JB4 mobile interface for Android would be awesome!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    633 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AtlHarry335 Click here to enlarge
    I would rather someone implement something like this... Terry?

http://www.exar.com/Common/Content/P...098&ParentID=4
    I would use blue tooth instead. Actually did a lot of work with it for our PRO board and left a footprint on there for it. Ultimately though I didn't see a lot of benefit after we got the in dash stuff working.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

2 seconds is about how long it take for me change maps using the dash command. But I agree the logging on the phone would be really cool, and be able to store and view/email/share them later. Also, being able to change the variables from your phone would be very useful when you don't have your laptop, and much more convenient considering the size and the fact that you usually always have your cell phone.

JB4 mobile interface for Android would be awesome!
    My thoughts exactly, except for BB. I can't use anything else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think piggies still coll maybe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by zygis1975 Click here to enlarge
    i think piggies still coll maybe
    ?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast