Close

Thread: New Stock Turbo N54 Dyno Record - 498 WHP on a Mustang Dyno

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

New Stock Turbo N54 Dyno Record - 498 WHP on a Mustang Dyno

Done by Former_Boosted_IS at about 15 psi on a JB3 with approximately 700 ml/min of methanol (85/15) running pump gas and a dry shot of nitrous:

Click here to enlarge

More details on his setup and what went into it here: http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthread.php?t=671

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

haha but you missed him running the juice, and not boost juice... nitrous. and it looks like 478, maybe 498 if it was a dyno jet Click here to enlarge that bump in power you see is the clutch slipping so disregard the hump in the middle.

2007 335i Coupe
    Mods: Check the Garage

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Juice or not, I still think this is QUITE impressive!

I wonder what others have got running a similar setup?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

Awesome runs! He needs a new clutch for sure. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    haha but you missed him running the juice, and not boost juice... nitrous. and it looks like 478, maybe 498 if it was a dyno jet Click here to enlarge that bump in power you see is the clutch slipping so disregard the hump in the middle.
    The graph posted is 498 and would be over 500 on a dynojet Click here to enlarge You are attributing the higher peak figure to the slipping clutch?

No, didn't miss him running nitrous I put the link to his setup.

Even though it is with another power adder, it is still the stock turbo record. The stock turbo only record is another thing entirely Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

Technically I've had another customer make 500+rw on a dynojet on the bottle. But on a Mustang would probably be lower than this car. It was a milder setup.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Technically I've had another customer make 500+rw on a dynojet on the bottle. But on a Mustang would probably be lower than this car. It was a milder setup.
    Graph? I'd like to post the correct info.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

He posted it on n54tech awhile back, it was pretty ugly. He had a buddy in front of the car opening the bottle as he ran on the dyno. LOL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

He posted it on n54tech awhile back, it was pretty ugly. He had a buddy in front of the car opening the bottle as he ran on the dyno. LOL.
    In that case I think I will keep this as the stock turbo record for now unless you/he wants it changed. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

Yeah its fine by me. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    The graph posted is 498 and would be over 500 on a dynojet Click here to enlarge You are attributing the higher peak figure to the slipping clutch?

No, didn't miss him running nitrous I put the link to his setup.

Even though it is with another power adder, it is still the stock turbo record. The stock turbo only record is another thing entirely Click here to enlarge
    i see your conundrum Click here to enlarge you're looking at the bottom of the graph? looking at peak hp? and it says 498 yes? but look, that 498 is on the hump my friend, the red hump, the power hump. and torque is the same since hp is a measure of torque over time. so the graph is solid, just the peak numbers are off due to a slipping clutch. the clutch slipped BEFORE he made his peak torque numbers. so we have no idea but we can extrapolate from his previous and post points of reference.

i am not bashing the car, just making sure the facts are straight. disregard the hump and look at the near redline figure for hp. since its stock turbos they'll die off at redline which they do Click here to enlarge FBIS is a good guy. he def has the stock turbo high hp number on the forums at least!
    Last edited by oddjob2021; 02-26-2010 at 12:30 AM.

2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by oddjob2021 Click here to enlarge
    i see your conundrum Click here to enlarge you're looking at the bottom of the graph? looking at peak hp? and it says 498 yes? but look, that 498 is on the hump my friend, the red hump, the power hump. and torque is the same since hp is a measure of torque over time. so the graph is solid, just the peak numbers are off due to a slipping clutch. the clutch slipped BEFORE he made his peak torque numbers. so we have no idea but we can extrapolate from his previous and post points of reference.

i am not bashing the car, just making sure the facts are straight. disregard the hump and look at the near redline figure for hp. since its stock turbos they'll die off at redline which they do Click here to enlarge FBIS is a good guy. he def has the stock turbo high hp number on the forums at least!
    I think you are definitely correct, but I have to go by the graph. Yep, everyone can clearly see the peak figures came where the clutch slipped but they are peak figures nevertheless. Do I disqualify him for it? He certainly is somewhere around there, especially on a dynojet.

Could the argument be made that on a fresh clutch he might post higher figures? Something to consider.

You should definitely be voicing your perspective! Hell, if this was anywhere else and a ride tuned by Shiv you would have been banned already and your posts would have disappeared. Voice your opinion and let the user decide, I like that!

This whole test illustrates that dyno figures are not as cut and dry as some people would like to make it seem and there are things left to interpretation. Hence why the text is so important along with the graphs.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I think you are definitely correct, but I have to go by the graph. Yep, everyone can clearly see the peak figures came where the clutch slipped but they are peak figures nevertheless. Do I disqualify him for it? He certainly is somewhere around there, especially on a dynojet.

Could the argument be made that on a fresh clutch he might post higher figures? Something to consider.

You should definitely be voicing your perspective! Hell, if this was anywhere else and a ride tuned by Shiv you would have been banned already and your posts would have disappeared. Voice your opinion and let the user decide, I like that!

This whole test illustrates that dyno figures are not as cut and dry as some people would like to make it seem and there are things left to interpretation. Hence why the text is so important along with the graphs.
    hahaha you're probably right. it may have been deleted on another forum since I was arguing with you, a mod/admin.

as for the clutch you're right. if he had an aftermarket solution which could hold the torque, he would make more of a torque number but i would have to guess his hp would stay the same, since his torque dies off after anyway. haha you're too used to your s65 engine which torque doesnt die off so quickly near redline Click here to enlarge

anyway no hard feelings Click here to enlarge you're running the correct style of forum and its a nice place here Click here to enlarge

2007 335i Coupe

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Impressive numbers. What show is he running? He needs to do some 60-130 times STAT!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I can't wait to see some more results after he has a new clutch..
    This is my signature...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got me allllll excited, hot & bothered and shyt! Then i seen NOS Click here to enlarge Congrats with the numbers, just NOT a fan of NOS...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by PROJEK_M1 Click here to enlarge
    Got me allllll excited, hot & bothered and shyt! Then i seen NOS Click here to enlarge Congrats with the numbers, just NOT a fan of NOS...
    Ntirous is a power adder... it is what it is. This is the record for stock turbos though...

Some people are not a fan and that is understandable.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Isn't Warren making more than this?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSpiredM3 Click here to enlarge
    Isn't Warren making more than this?
    Good question.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    458 Post(s)

I think they have similar mods, I doubt it. His car is lighter though.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

you all know that Former_Boosted_IS said that his clutch was slipping and that explains that power curve right? so thiers no need to argue that his clutch was or wasn't slipping because he even said it was. I want to see an update! because he changed his clutch, flywheel, diff, and short shifter.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1581 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by lamia2super Click here to enlarge
    you all know that Former_Boosted_IS said that his clutch was slipping and that explains that power curve right? so thiers no need to argue that his clutch was or wasn't slipping because he even said it was. I want to see an update! because he changed his clutch, flywheel, diff, and short shifter.
    I'm sure he will update soon.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

That calls for a face-palm...........