Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

5 out of 5 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

a 2010 GRUPPE TITAN project: oem csl, brembo, recaro, forgeline, hartge, custom work...

i decided that my car *needed* to undergo a little project....this is sort of a consolidation of many posts i made in a thread on other forums. i figured that i would share here per some suggestions as well as since some folks might be interested in what this project entails.

here is the spec and mod lists of the car prior to going into the shop:

silver gray on black nappa leather, SMG, premium, cold weather, HK, xenons, 19" double spoked wheels

engine: VF-engineering stage 2 SC, active autowerke sport fan clutch, elite engineering black anodized oil catch can, SP Engineering air scoop, vorsteiner black CF engine cover, EAS black CF radiator snout, EAS black CF air filter cover, EAS black CF DME cover, icaris innovations black CF empty tub cover, fusion autowerkz black CF emissions control air pump cover, brushed aluminum oil cap

drivetrain: 3.91 gears, UUC tranny mounts

exhaust: BHS headers, magnaflow 400 cell cats in BHS section 1, milltek section 2, kreis-sieg exhaust

suspension: bilstein PSS9s (H1), BHS RSMs, quatro performance black CF strut bar, h-sport anti-sway bar kit, vorshlag rtab limiters, UUC arca's

interior: stealthauto pedals, brush aluminum royal F1 SMG paddles, short eurotray, leatherz OEM alcantara SMG shift knob, shift and e-brake boot with dark gray stitching, JPMcoachworks OEM alcantara armrests, center console, eurotray, armrest, storage partition, all-weather mats, audi B5 S4 emergency triangle, OEM rubber trunk mat, silver CF steering wheel "y" trim, steering wheel top trim, SMG dome cover, and e-brake handle, EAS blackout steering wheel roundel, trunk lid liner re-upholstered in black with EAS silver CF toolkit

electronics: defi b-series oil pressure (routed to RE oil filter housing top), boost, and EGT gauges in custom leatherz alcantara gauge panel, defi control unit II, innovate lc-1 afr gauge, V1 hardwired, custom mounted switch for kreis-sieg exhaust valve

audio: icelink plus, BSW d110

exterior: trunk debadged, OEM euro folding mirrors, avery stoneshield paint protection film, custom windshield protection film, 38% suntek carbon tint with 75% on front windshield, turner motorsport/bimmian pre-painted bumper reflectors, euro lock delete, jet black and light gray vinyl roundels, black CF headlight trim, EAS matte black kidney grills and side gills with monochrome ///M3 emblems, EAS blackout hood and trunk roundels, vorsteiner DVWP rear diffuser with black CF, vorsteiner black CF front bumper splitters, smoked OEM corners, smoked foglights, and taillights covered with lamin-x smoked film

lighting: lightwerkz TFX retrofit with 4300k D2S and 55w ballasts, 6000k umnitza orion V2 "hybrid" with predator chromiums' wireless option, stealthauto front turn signal bulbs, EAS LED license plate bulbs

brakes: UUC/alcon matte gray front 6-piston calipers with 345mm motorsport floating rotors and rear 4-piston calipers with 328mm motorsport floating rotors

wheels and tires: 19x8.5 and 19x10 BBS LMs with silver BBS lettering and wrapped with 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 goodyear F1 GS-D3s

most of the mods above were installed by me often with the help of friends. the thing about this current project is that i have done very little. but most of the work is way beyond my skill and experience level. furthermore, 100+ hours of work a week do not help. that's my excuse Click here to enlarge

these pics below are old ones but show how she looked before:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

current pics of engine bay:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

most recent pics i have of the interior:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and onto the details of the project....

the pics below were taken over the past few months. we are hoping to wrap things up in the next couple of weeks. some of y'all may have seen a thread on another forum.

planning went on for about a year. the posting of teaser pics began in january (these were snapped by a friend who took delivery of parts while i was out of town for a while):

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

then the first steps at the shop were back in april. it took a vehicle this size to haul stuff safely from the airport to the shop. thanks to my source in germany, i was able to acquire the first major parts as well as "euro only" parts for some other folks (e46m and e9x owners).

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

thank goodness i acquired it.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

btw, that is not a reflection of me you see in the pic above. Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

a couple of weeks later, i went by the shop. recaro seats had come in.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and here are some pics of the progress on the car at that time:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

there were some delays. we had to wait on the right glue and confirm that we will be using a proper one. also, the metal roof had caulk (which is then painted over by bmw) around it to metal "iinner rails" on each side underneath the roof rails that you see. the oem csl roof obviously does not come with the inner rails. these are important because they each have 7 or so clips that are welded onto them. these are what hold the outer roof rails (ones you see on each side of the roof). it appears most folks glue them in. also, most folks do not use the same caulk. instead, from what i have seen in threads, glue is used in place of the caulk. we decided to do it just as bmw did to ensure some flex is allowed as well as absolutely ensuring moisture will not become a serious problem. regarding the clips, it has been difficult to locate them. so, it looks like each one will be finely cut off the inner rails and then welded in place so that the outer roof rails can be clipped in properly after the roof is glued in place, caulk is set, and paint is sprayed over. note that the markings on the painter's tape made for exactly where the clips were on the now removed inner rails. also, note how cleanly and carefully the roof panel was removed. i was very impressed by what i saw yesterday evening.

the rest of the project is moving along well. the roof should be complete in a few days.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

for those who are not familiar with doing a "roof transplant" on the e46, under the oem roof rails are metal rails (gonna call them "inner rails") that run along side the roof panel. these rails each have 7 clips into which the roof rails snap into. the inner rails have to be removed in order to install the cf roof. with these inner rails off, the cf roof sits at a different height (factoring in also the different thickness of the cf roof). the clips are necessary to properly clip in the stock roof rails or the oem csl rails. i have the latter. most folks have chosen to glue in the roof rails. there are potential problems with this including not being able to remove the rails without a high risk of damaging the cf roof panel. most folks will argue that this is a non-issue since the roof rails should never have to be removed. well, in most cases, yes. but if damage occurs to the rails or if you want to swap from oem csl to stock so that you can run a roof rack, this becomes an issue. also, most folks choose to use glue as the caulk around the roof. the problem with that is not allowing flexing. also, moisture will inevitably get in between the rails and the sides along the roof panel. caulk is much better than using glue.

the problem with the clips is that bmw could not find them separately. those inner rails come part of the stock roof (sunroof or no sunroof). john tried taking off the clips from the inner rails but they did not sit properly. so he milled out 14 (7 for each side) out of the stock roof panel. he machined them perfectly and lined them up where he marked the location of the clips when the inner rails were still in. he then machined out 3 semi-circles on the end facing the roof panel so that the glue would spread better and distribute correctly. those clips were glue down along the sides (where the inner rails used to sit). then the cf roof panel was glue on top. this way, the clips sit where they are supposed to and ensure the roof rails will sit flush along the sides of the roof panel.

several weeks later, i went to the shop again and snapped a few pics. the quality is not that great. at this point, the roof had not been cleared several times yet.

my new bbk setup that arrived the week before. it is ready to get some "custom paint":

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

you can see some of the clips (7 on each side) that were individually machined and then welded in place. also, primer was brushed in over the welds and the slight glue "overflow".

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

here is link to my actual headlights that got the quad tfx retrofit. big thanks to caesar @ lightwerkz :thumbsup2:

pics of my actual headlights are posted on lightwerkz:
    http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/ma...2_itemId=14857

start from there and there are quite a few pics. i cannot directly post the pics here.

i love the attention to detail including the 3 silver lines seen here:
    http://www.lightwerkz.net/gallery/ma...2_itemId=14885

this custom piece is being made by someone else:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

pics were sent to me before the whole unit/kit was sent to me.

so the project's to do list started to grow. i had this custom made:

Click here to enlarge

a few weeks later, i had some quick pics i took of progress and more parts that came in.

the roof now has several layers of glausrit clear. it just needs to be cleaned and buffed:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

to complement the addition of the oem csl roof, i am adding a few 1x1 black cf accents....

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

these are a set of used mirror bases/arms that will be painted to match the oem csl roof rails to go with the mirror covers above:

Click here to enlarge

roll bar has been painted body color (silver gray) and cleared (oem csl bootlid can be seen in background. it is primed and ready to be painted):

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

work is still being done on the "custom conversion" of my oem bumper:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

i really like these seats. this is the passenger seat that was partially disassembled to put in the airbag sensor plate:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

monochrome "conversion" of front oem mats (trying to get all the little details done...). the stitching pattern on the mats is significantly different especially for the "M3". we decided to leave them as they are:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

all the cf pieces were sanded then got a good clearcoat.

i was unhappy with some of the cf weave on the mirror covers especially on and near the edge for the opening:

Click here to enlarge

note that the weave looks pretty good in the blue circled areas while it appears badly bunched up in the red circled areas.

i came up with this idea based on what i saw with other models' mirror covers including those for the e9x m3.

Click here to enlarge

this pic was sent to my phone a few days ago. i think the thickness of the "line" works the best.

at the end of august, some update phone pics were sent to me by text:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

around beginning of last month, i had a quick in-person update.

the bootlid nor the calipers had been sanded yet. the wheel center shown is from a front 19x8.5. we decided to do something a little different with the rear centers since reverse mounting of the rear centers has been thrown out.

calipers came painted black but i wanted more of a satin black. also, i wanted silver/gray logo and lettering painted on.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and most recently, i took some quick pics, none of which are edited. my bad for some blurriness in a few photos. i was and am exhausted after many, many hours of working and traveling. my hands were jittering a bit.

i know that the paint protection film is very dirty. it is actually not significant irreversible discoloration; rather, a lot of grime and dirt "gets drawn into the film". you can get a lot of the dirt out by using the right cleaning products. the car was really dirty when i dropped it off at the shop.

here is how my car sat when i got there:
    Click here to enlarge

the pic below shows one of my favorite mods: getting the word out there about gruppe titan's worthwhile causes. the vinyl decals have been on the car since the day before bmw fest 2009.

Click here to enlarge

here are a few parts that are still waiting to be installed:

re x-pipe with evc
    Click here to enlarge

radenergie cf engine cover- the resin is hazy already on this brand new piece. the engine cover will be prepped and then completely clearcoated. with this and the oem csl diffuser, my car will be vorsteiner-free.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

beginning the install of the oem csl bootlid- note that the trunk's paint has not been sanded and actually was quite dusty. the bootlid has nothing installed on/in it yet.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

some pics of the brembos- i got the kit with black calipers but they were too glossy for my taste. in addition, i did not like the white logo and lettering. calipers were repainted in a less glossy black. the logo and lettering were painted on in silver/gray.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

note especially with the pic below you can see where the paint that was on the tape's edge (around the logo and lettering) remained. they look like hairs raised up. those will be completely gone once the calipers are all sanded.
    Click here to enlarge

pic of rear caliper to show how it is before sanding. yeah, just have used flash, i know and gotten a closeup shot.
    Click here to enlarge

now, this is the pic showing the caliper directly above right after first sanding. note the haziness on the face of the caliper with logo and lettering.
    Click here to enlarge

front wheels are both assembled:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

in the pic below, the centercap has yet to be customized as planned. the "background" is going to be painted. i never liked the faux cf. i will be glad to see it go.
    Click here to enlarge

i took a decent pic of a front wheel indoors.
    Click here to enlarge

and this is the progress so far that surprised me. it surpassed all my expectations. we had planned on reverse mounting the rear wheels, but it was realized that compromises safety. the center and the barrel would not be bolted together properly. so, we went ahead and painted the entire rear center. but it really bothered me because the rear center's paint extends around the bolts while the front center's paint stops short of the bolts- i.e. the radius to which the paint reaches is larger on the rear wheels. most folks don't notice it with the standard lm finish which is a silver center. it is very noticeable on dbk or any other color (custom).

so, now, the rear center will almost look like the fronts. afaik, no one has ever done this before.

the paint on the outer edge was all removed by hand as each center spun on a lathe. the work is not done yet. you can see that not all the paint has been removed. the paint in the holes will all be removed by hand one by one.

also, these centers are dusty and have yet to be sanded to get the little imperfections out. still, in the closeup with the embossed lettering, you can see the paint turned out well.

no metal was taken off the outer edge. if you refer to the pics of the front wheels, the outer edge of the rears do not yet match the lip. once the outer edge is polished on both rear wheels, then that portion will be cleared. we are banking on a darn close match to the way the lips look. we will have to wait and see.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

these arrived from germany Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

one of the oem csl diffusers was for a friend, but she decided not to take it at this time....i guess i could use a backup/spare. Click here to enlarge just kidding. i will put it on the market soon....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    well, i decided to get a set of "everyday" wheels:

18x8.5/10 forgeline WC3s
    satin black center, outer lip, and inner lip
    matching satin black engraved aluminum center caps with only "forgeline"
    black oxide coated bolts

forgeline is planning on setting the offsets as +35 front and +27 rear. for reference, arc-8 and bbs rgr wheels in the same sizes both run +38/+25 offsets.

weights: just under 20 lbs for the fronts and just under 21 lbs for the rears
    (they are a little heavier than i had expected)

2-3 weeks to make them and ship them out.

i was this close to pulling the trigger on ccw classics but i decided to go with these wheels instead. i did a search and only one person had posted about these on an e46 m3.

i figure these wheels are not going to be to the liking of many, but i really like these wheels. i wish pics of them on an e46 m3 were readily available....but i think my car can pull off the look. we shall see, i guess.

i could not find any pics of the wheels in satin black. here are pics of matte black, which is the finish i originally was going to choose. as many know, satin black does not have the texture of matte black that makes cleaning more difficult. these are the WC3Rs which are lighter (they are in competition series vs. WC3 being in the performance series), and you cannot run the "flush" centercaps. only the bolt-on, raised zx3r center caps will work.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

this is the center cap i am getting but shown in matte black:
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and some various pics of the wheels (both WC3s and WC3Rs):
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and finally, here is a pic of satin black finish with black oxide coated bolts:

Click here to enlarge

not really an update...more of a teaser, i guess.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

some better pics of the cf engine accents. note that there still needs to be some final sanding and then clearcoating. there are a few more cf pieces for the engine bay that have not been completed....
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

here are cell phone camera pics that were sent to me just now. the wheels look good except the black matching valve stems were not sent with the wheels. we will get this straightened out on mon.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

i went by the shop real quick earlier today. i did not have my camera with me so i snapped a few pics of the new 18s with my phone:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

there are quite a few things left to do still....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

long read, but project looks legit!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wowo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Wow man, what a thread. In depth with great photos!

Your car is sick, very tastefully modded. I really like your LM's and feel it is tough to improve on that look.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Hey! Good thing I recgonized the car (barely) 'cuz I sure didn't recgonize the name. Click here to enlarge

So, does this mean you're actually about to reclaim ownership after all this time? You just about need to give it a completely new VIN, customized by you; it's the "same" car but so different now.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Its been sooooo loooooooong.. but well worth the wait im sure, once its back.

every detail on this car is perfect, Sg is the most meticulous person i have met, and it shows by his show ready car, even though he drives* it evvery chance he gets, not just one the weekends

*before this monster transformation began

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Very beautiful car and great build!!!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Crazy build!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Yukohama Click here to enlarge
    long read, but project looks legit!
    yeah, long read indeed. thanks for your reply.

the project has gone on for some time and is coming along well. there were A LOT of setbacks but they all got worked out. also, i kept adding more and more stuff to the project. it started off as oem csl roof, oem csl bootlid, and custom front bumper. then it just took a life of its own so to speak.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    wowo
    that is my reaction some days when i think about how much time and effort have gone into this project.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Wow man, what a thread. In depth with great photos!

Your car is sick, very tastefully modded. I really like your LM's and feel it is tough to improve on that look.
    i appreciate the kind words.

i am gonna have to agree with you on the lms. i had thought about going with another 19" wheel but i think i am gonna stick with them. the wc3s will serve as a solid "everyday" set of wheels.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GRLPWR Click here to enlarge
    Hey! Good thing I recgonized the car (barely) 'cuz I sure didn't recgonize the name. Click here to enlarge

So, does this mean you're actually about to reclaim ownership after all this time? You just about need to give it a completely new VIN, customized by you; it's the "same" car but so different now.

Click here to enlarge
    well, "gruppe titan" in the title should have helped Click here to enlarge

no, it looks like we have a few more weeks of stuff to do if all goes well. if we hit a snag, it could set back things quite some time. he is focusing on my car now but there is so much more custom work along with reassembly to do.

i will keep y'all, especially gt folks, posted.

lol @ new vin.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Its been sooooo loooooooong.. but well worth the wait im sure, once its back.

every detail on this car is perfect, Sg is the most meticulous person i have met, and it shows by his show ready car, even though he drives* it evvery chance he gets, not just one the weekends

*before this monster transformation began
    it has been. for sure. i am doing my best to make sure every detail is "right" on this car. most meticulous? lol. that is a nice way of saying....oh, nevermind Click here to enlarge thanks for the kind words, man. it means a lot coming from a fellow gt member.

i believe that i will be driving her a lot once i get her back and the weather warms up. i may be gone for days at a time. lol.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by THATDONFC Click here to enlarge
    Very beautiful car and great build!!!
    thanks. all the credit for the build goes to the guy working on my car.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nate@IND Click here to enlarge
    Crazy build!
    i appreciate it. i never expected that comment from ya in light of the insane work y'all have done and continue to do.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sg_wannabe Click here to enlarge
    well, "gruppe titan" in the title should have helped Click here to enlarge
    Well, that's actually the reason why I opened the thread, 'cuz I was thinking "I know ain't nobody dun stole the GT name!!". lol So, I guess we can expect to see you and yours down this way sometime in 2011? Since you'll be needing some road trips to get reacquainted with your car. Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by GRLPWR Click here to enlarge
    Well, that's actually the reason why I opened the thread, 'cuz I was thinking "I know ain't nobody dun stole the GT name!!". lol So, I guess we can expect to see you and yours down this way sometime in 2011? Since you'll be needing some road trips to get reacquainted with your car. Click here to enlarge
    gotcha.

i am hoping to come down to where y'all are at in '11. that would be fun. yeah, she sure does need some road trips. i am gonna be hard pressed to find the time though....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4 out of 4 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    long overdue for an update. this is a consolidation of a few updates i made on other forums.

ss v2 stepped headers arrived a while ago. respray of rear bumper was added to paint list and has been completed.

hood vent project has been mocked up but has not been started.

in early march, i ordered the varis rear end diffuser (system 1) in 1x1 plain weave. then, the tsunami and earthquake struck. amazingly, despite all that is going on in japan, varis followed up just a couple of days after the tragic events to inform me that they would do their best to maintain the original shipping date of 3/30. honestly, i could freakin' care less about the diffuser (and it probably should go without saying) in light of the devastation and loss of life. i was surprised that they would maintain customer support/service in such times. last week, they relayed to me that they are on course to ship out on 3/30....

here is the piece in 2x2 twill weave:

Click here to enlarge

their "default" weave is 2x2 though they do make pieces from time to time in 1x1.

i plan on modifying it slightly for a little better fit and finish. i will see what exactly we *need* to do once we get the piece.

the silver cf overlay of brand new oem m5/6 smg shift knob has been completed. these 2 pics were sent to me prior to shipping.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

status gruppe tuning sec 2 arrived last week. i decided to go with this piece even after i had purchased the re x-pipe with evc and afterward took receipt of a brand new ss x-pipe. the shop was actually very pleased to see this sec 2 arrive.

pics are not the best. i hope to have better pics in a week or two.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

the zionsville radiator came damaged the first time. insurance claim was made and zionsville sent out a new replacement that arrived about 2 weeks later Click here to enlarge

here is the portion that was most damaged in shipping (kinda hard to tell):

Click here to enlarge

and then with a "test fit", it was found that the radiator is significantly larger than oem. this is contrary to what i was told by zionsville, but we will make it work. again, cell phone pics are not great but they give some idea of the slight fitment issues. also, you can see that the bimmerworld oil cooler does not line up "right" with the new radiator. adjustments will be made and some stuff fabbed up to make it all work and fit nicely.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

all the pics above were sent to me. i have not had a chance to swing by the shop. i am hoping to sometime next week.

these cell phone pics were sent to me by the shop yesterday afternoon:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

(this was posted up yesterday)

varis rear end diffuser arrived just now. the box made it from japan to pa in 2 days. in early march, i placed the order and varis gave an estimated ship date of 3/30. i am truly impressed and amazed that they were able to keep that ship date in light of the consequences of the tsunami and earthquake. their customer service is unparalleled in terms of communication as well: they told me within 24-48 hours of the tragic events that they would maintain the original completion and ship date.

the shop sent me phone pics. the box's condition made me a bit anxious.

Click here to enlarge

but it is a very large box with a rough estimate of 7 feet in length and 4 feet in depth. width was not given to me. even still, i was concerned about the diffuser.

and here are 2 quick pics of it:

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

i plan on going to the shop tomorrow to take a look at the progress of the car as well as to see the diffuser in person.

btw, with the larger oil cooler (bimmerworld), the vf-engineering s/c kit's aftercooler does not fit with the brackets that come with the kit. some fabrication work will have to be done to ensure it is mounted correctly/securely. also, the shop noticed that the brackets attached to the aftercooler and the front sway bar do not allow for safe and secure bolting of the sway bar. that issue will be rectified.

there are a lot of other things that have come up, but those are the ones off the top of my head. i am very excited that the diffuser arrived so quickly and undamaged. the weave is nearly 100% perfect (like oem csl roof and diffuser). some touchup will be needed. the edges were noticed to be a bit rough. this is the half carbon version and the unfinished side (not pictured) will need to be sealed b/c of moisture. the preliminary plan is to put several coats of glasurit clear on the cf side, which appears to be just resin covered and has a little dull finish to it. several coats of clearcoat were put on every exterior cf piece so far including the roof.

(also, posted up yesterday)

i have some pics that are much better ones of the steering wheel. these were not taken by me. they were taken prior to the wheel's being shipped to me a while back.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

finally, new set of wheels to get tires mounted and balanced Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

i was able to swing by the shop today but i was in a bit of a rush so i didn't get to take a lot of pics nor really good ones. but you get the idea i figure. Click here to enlarge

varis rear end diffuser
    the cf weave is nearly perfect but will need some attention. this piece will get a few good coats of clear then be covered with ppf. the unfinished side will be sealed.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

current state of affairs
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

random pic of shop owner's new pup. i didn't mean to use the flash when taking the pic Click here to enlarge "mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa" was said to baron.

Click here to enlarge

zionsville autosport radiator and 16"spal fan installed. a lot of modification had to be done to make the radiator fit properly. it is hard to tell in the pic but the water pump's threaded end for the clutch fan has been clipped and painted black. also, it is a bit hard to tell but the clearance with the spal is pretty tight even with the threaded end shortened. the fan shroud was modified so that the fan could be removed without removing the radiator. it came with pop rivets and there was no way to get the fan out without removing the radiator if it had been installed out of the box. relays were fastened to the shroud. iirc, the radiator is about 3/16" wider than the oem radiator. i don't recall how much thicker/deeper it is. i chose the dual speed option utilizing 80 degree celsius and 88 degree celsius thermostats.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

bimmerworld oil cooler installed. the lower panel has to be lowered a bit to allow the highest airflow. the combination of this radiator and this oil cooler dropped the bottom edge (when compared with oem radiator and oem oil cooler) close to an inch. as a result the brackets for the s/c kit's water reservoir have to be adjusted to accommodate. the 2nd pic is a peek at the "heavy duty" an fittings and the braided stainless steel lines used. that pic was taken with carmera right at the intake filter.

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

the interior has a ways to go to be all buttoned up.
    Click here to enlarge

placed the m5/6 smg knob roughly in place to figure out how to modify and finish up the shift panel area. i think we got the decision made now.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

that's it for now....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow great work!
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Lookin good bro! Hope it gets finsihed before the show. Love that VARIS diffuser so get it installed quick so I can make up my mind if I should get one too.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by sg_wannabe Click here to enlarge
    pics are not the best. i hope to have better pics in a week or two.
    They aren't super hi-res or anything but more than adequate to get your points across as well as provide a detailed thread. Excellent update, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mazdaspeed6 Click here to enlarge
    wow great work!
    thanks BUT i cannot take any credit for the work done in this current build. as i may have mentioned in my freakin' long first post, i did the install of most of the mods prior to this project. however, almost all of the work seen here was done by the shop or outsourced. so, the only credit i can take is for the planning, organizing, funding, etc.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Lookin good bro! Hope it gets finsihed before the show. Love that VARIS diffuser so get it installed quick so I can make up my mind if I should get one too.
    thanks, bro. i hope so too. i really do. i absolutely love the varis diffuser. i hope it looks as good on the car as it does off her. we actually are gonna take our time with it since some of the weave has to be touched up (though it is nearly 100% perfect). also, as i mentioned to you before, we are gonna seal the sucker. the hardware will be modified a bit. there are a few more pressing things to be addressed on the car so those will be cleared out of the way first. i will try to get him to install the diffuser asap Click here to enlarge

you should just get one though.... Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    They aren't super hi-res or anything but more than adequate to get your points across as well as provide a detailed thread. Excellent update, thanks.
    well, my nearly 8-year old, 4 megapixel pns camera (canon sd300) has held up well and, as you pointed out, gets the job done...for the most part. thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

I will once I get some other things done and out of the way Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    I will once I get some other things done and out of the way Click here to enlarge
    sounds good Click here to enlarge i hear ya.

i had been meaning to reply to your message. done now.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

what a great thread , really enjoyed reading it Sir Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)

oh my goodness i cant wait to see her back from a long and extensive surgery/ makeover. I am probably as excited to see your car as i am excited to get the sc.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    oh my goodness i cant wait to see her back from a long and extensive surgery/ makeover. I am probably as excited to see your car as i am excited to get the sc.
    AA?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    what a great thread , really enjoyed reading it Sir Click here to enlarge
    thanks. i am glad you enjoyed reading the thread.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by akh23456 Click here to enlarge
    thanks, man. i can't wait either. no, no way. you have to be excited to soon have "the white beast"...with 4 doors. lol. she is gonna be pure awesomeness. if we ever do runs, my car will look like she is going backwards. lmao. it is all good. GRUPPE TITAN represent!

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    AA?
    yes. stage 2. ask me how i know Click here to enlarge

quick cell phone pic sent to me late yesterday (mon):
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if only my car had been ready and was able to make it to streetwars to join our euro group....we had a great time. :thumbsup2:

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

the shop is up to something....

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

and in other GRUPPE TITAN project news....

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2054 Post(s)

Great pics!

Whose manifold is that red one?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast