Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

ESS S65 supercharger fuel cut issues at higher boost

I have received a couple pm's now from users complaining about this. They don't want to go public with it as they don't want to seem like they are throwing ESS under the bus while they wait for a fix as they are scared they won't get it if someone from ESS sees it.

Thing is, they don't need to be scared, this doesn't need to be negative. We have users here who have experienced it and likely have a fix.

Mikewads had a couple intermittent issues and was going to try new coils or spark plugs I think to see if that fixed the issue. I don't mean to put you on the spot Mike but you are a friendly guy and the best source I know that can help a couple of these guys overseas resolve this especially if you already have it fixed.

If it is just the plugs, let us know.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Anybody?

Why are people so quiet about this?
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Mikewads had a couple intermittent issues and was going to try new coils or spark plugs I think to see if that fixed the issue. I don't mean to put you on the spot Mike but you are a friendly guy and the best source I know that can help a couple of these guys overseas resolve this especially if you already have it fixed.

If it is just the plugs, let us know.
    My problem seems to be a random high RPM misfire at anything above 6.5psi of boost (colder dense air makes the problem worse). Once the ECU detects a misfire it shuts off fuel to that bank of cylinders so that no combustion takes place until I lift my foot off the throttle.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been testing a set of HKS Iridium spark plugs (Part # 50003-M45XL) with my 7.5psi pulley. These plugs have the same threads, reach, hex, and gasket style seat as the OEM plug. They are one step colder that the OEM platinum plugs and they have an Iridium tip which should reduce the voltage requirements as well as improving ignition performance. The new plugs seemed to correct my misfire issue at first (no problems the first week), but once the temperature dropped down into the 30s my problem came back.

I have been told that BMW has had problems with weak coil packs on past models, so that could be my problem. It would be nice to swap out my coil packs for some new ones, but I'm not willing to spend the money on 8 new coil packs that may or may not resolve the issue. Maybe someone else that has this problem is willing to buy a new set or can borrow a set from another M3.

As far as the software tune goes Iím still testing. AJ is making some VANOS modifications to the ECU which will allow the ignition system to fire easier without disabling the misfire detection system. The misfire detection system is enabled to preserve engine safety which is key feature for me.
    09 Alpine White E92 M-DCT / ESS VT2 Supercharger w/ NITROUS / Borla Race Exhaust
    10.87 @ 131 mph in the 1/4 Mile
    60-130 MPH in 6.23 secs (Nitrous)
    60-130 MPH in 6.87 secs (Boost only @ 7.5psi)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikewads Click here to enlarge
    My problem seems to be a random high RPM misfire at anything above 6.5psi of boost (colder dense air makes the problem worse). Once the ECU detects a misfire it shuts off fuel to that bank of cylinders so that no combustion takes place until I lift my foot off the throttle.

Over the past couple of weeks I have been testing a set of HKS Iridium spark plugs (Part # 50003-M45XL) with my 7.5psi pulley. These plugs have the same threads, reach, hex, and gasket style seat as the OEM plug. They are one step colder that the OEM platinum plugs and they have an Iridium tip which should reduce the voltage requirements as well as improving ignition performance. The new plugs seemed to correct my misfire issue at first (no problems the first week), but once the temperature dropped down into the 30s my problem came back.

I have been told that BMW has had problems with weak coil packs on past models, so that could be my problem. It would be nice to swap out my coil packs for some new ones, but I'm not willing to spend the money on 8 new coil packs that may or may not resolve the issue. Maybe someone else that has this problem is willing to buy a new set or can borrow a set from another M3.

As far as the software tune goes I’m still testing. AJ is making some VANOS modifications to the ECU which will allow the ignition system to fire easier without disabling the misfire detection system. The misfire detection system is enabled to preserve engine safety which is key feature for me.
    Thank you, so basically we are just waiting to see for now how the software goes?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Mikewads Click here to enlarge
    I was thinking, if it was just your coil-packs though why would other cars have this? Isn't it likely something with the software as you said it went away after the plugs were changed but came back when the temps dropped? Would that mean something in the software relating to how it is handling the air?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

any updates?
    Current: 964 WB, 993, Panamera Turbo

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EUGENE-Taiwan Click here to enlarge
    any updates?
    I think they are waiting to see if the plugs correct the issues or if the coils need to be changed.

Also, ESS is making some tune changes to the VANOS profile as mikewads mentioned that may resolve it but we will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

interesting...maybe okada coils would help but yeah, too expensive to test..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    interesting...maybe okada coils would help but yeah, too expensive to test..
    That is an interesting suggestion but are there Okada coils for the S65? Now that I have seen issues being mentioned on the S54 that have been resolved going to the Okada coils that may carry over here.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Perhaps the coils are the same part numbers? I don't have bmwinfo in front of me right now so I can't verify.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Perhaps the coils are the same part numbers? I don't have bmwinfo in front of me right now so I can't verify.
    Good suggestion, though I doubt they are the same part between the S54 and S65. Maybe realoem.com has the info, I'll check.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    They're different part numbers...

S65
    12137838388 (ended)
    12137841754 (current)

S54

N54
    12137571643 (ended)
    12137594937 (current)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

They're different part numbers...

S65
    12137838388 (ended)
    12137841754 (current)

S54

N54
    12137571643 (ended)
    12137594937 (current)
    Thanks dzenno!

Well, I think that means we don't have okada coils available for the S65.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Just ordered a set of Okadas to attempt solving my high RPM misfire, happens on anything above 13.5-14psi at about 6500rpm...misfire was confirmed on Procede v4, v5, jb4 and cobb so not tune related...changed for fresh new oem plugs today, misfired again at the exact same spot 6500rpm...Okadas are not cheap at all but if they fix the issue, well Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

why didnt you try a new injector?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

would you believe it if I told you that a single fuel injector in Canada is $630 from the dealer Click here to enlarge

I saw some logs of short term fuel trims from Enrita's car at same boost as mine and his are way lower than mine...okada coils may actually be providing a better/more complete combustion so less fuel is wasted which may actually also extend our fuel system capacity a bit too...all very theoretical at this point but it does make sense...i have logs of my STFTs now and I'll be able to compare the before/after okadas and see what's gained in that respect...i don't mind replacing the stock coils as they've proven many times unreliable and go bad often and we're into the coil swapping game...

if they don't work out I'll try replacing the injector but I'll have to order it from Tischer as its only $107 there, then wait for shipping here, then find a shop to rip me off for coding..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

well then, congrats to you for testing them out. ill be anxiously awaiting your results Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

really great writeup/testing on the Okada coils:

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/08...cks/index.html

issues discussed sound strikingly similar to my high rpm stumble/misfire

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Just ordered a set of Okadas to attempt solving my high RPM misfire, happens on anything above 13.5-14psi at about 6500rpm...misfire was confirmed on Procede v4, v5, jb4 and cobb so not tune related...changed for fresh new oem plugs today, misfired again at the exact same spot 6500rpm...Okadas are not cheap at all but if they fix the issue, well Click here to enlarge
    Definitely need this in a thread in the N54 section but glad you followed up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

BTW, wonder if they ever figured out what the issue was with the fuel cut or if it was solved?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Might be related to boost leak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sorena Click here to enlarge
    Might be related to boost leak.
    Heh, it's always a boost leak.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

okada coils excellent product. i recommend for any boosted car.