Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Pre turbo methanol injection test data.

Hello.

I have spent the entire day gathering this data. I was finally able to orchestrate this test with a friend of mine who also frequents this board. He was witness and also passenger data logging.

Firstly, the test conditions were such.

135i, stock downpipes, stock intercooler, JB4/G4 alpha tune.

Ambient conditions 72F.

Engine warmed up fully, heatsoaked for both runs.

Boost kept constant for both runs.

Meth mixture 90/10

Flow rate for meth was about 310-340 ml/min TOTAL

Multiple runs were done 2nd through 4th gear, best back to back runs were compared.

Runs sometimes had to stop at 6000 RPM, but the ones that didnt I will comment on.

The results speak for themselves. I initially ran the car at about 15.5-16 psi with little taper.

This is not suggested by BMS nor any of their affiliates by any means, it is risky to do but I chose to do it on my own accord to gather data.

This will let the pre turbo injection do its job on one end of the spectrum. The HOT end..

Best NO METH run, IATs hit 183F by the end of 4th.

Best Pre METH ONLY run, IATs hit 167 and DID NOT increase, they plateaud there for the remainder of 4th gear and did not exceed 167 where without meth it was hitting 180+ and climbing. I must emphasize that the pre turbo injection REALLY SHINES in 4th and 5th gear where the turbos are working hard.

Also, PWM was less for Pre METH, which means the turbos are definately spinning slower with this system.

Pre-methanol works for runs like these, as you can see, for gears 1-3 it does little to effect IAT but it does help Ignition advance as one would anticipate.

Ignition advance is helped greatly in gears 3 and 4. In the NO METH run ignition was pulled out, in the Pre METH run ignition DID NOT pull out and kept climbing.

IN BOTH runs ignition was below par and dangerously low for 93 octane, this is a risk I TOOK to try and test the benefits of pre-turbo injection.

I am not saying the ignition is good, I am saying it had improved versus the NO METH run with this injection system.

Note that there was no other injection taking place, ONLY the pre turbo injection which was about 150 ml/min PER TURBO. or about 300-340 total.

I had ISOLATED the pre turbo injection variable and now I show you the results.

Please comment and all feedback is welcome.

P.S. The G4 is a dream, I really love this tune. It is extremely easy to use and boost is controlled so finely. I very much enjoy G4 and I am not sure how else it can be improved.

Also, please rep me if you find this useful because this data was not easy to get.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by DBFIU; 11-28-2010 at 05:01 PM.
    Some people live long, meaningful lives.

Other people eat shit and die.

I'm not racist, I hate everybody equally; especially fat people.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Pictures of the setup can be seen here.

http://www.bimmerboost.com/showthrea...just-tune-meth!!

I ran my fastest time using this setup, not sure if it helped at the drag strip where runs are short. It didnt hurt thats for sure.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

looks much better than no meth. i like the theory of it. cooling the air before so its more dense to passed through the system. Does it seem to be adding anyperformance gain?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    looks much better than no meth. i like the theory of it. cooling the air before so its more dense to passed through the system. Does it seem to be adding anyperformance gain?
    There is definately a performance gain that is felt. The numbers must be measured on a dyno to make this test complete. but as you can see, the air temp is decreased by about 13-15 degrees F up top and timing is improved. The turbos are also spinning slower because of the reduced WGDC and PWM.

Next step is factual dyno numbers.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DBFIU Click here to enlarge
    The turbos are also spinning slower because of the reduced WGDC and PWM.
    ahh good point. i didnt see a log to see that difference. id like to think its worthwhile. get them dyno runs in and lets see what we get. Have you run with both pre/post meth installed before?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2063 Post(s)

Promoted to front page.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Just a word of caution:

Make sure your pre-turbo meth nozzle is ALWAYS clean and check on it frequently. A dripping nozzle which does not atomize the meth/water mixture properly will end up introducing droplets which will inevitably hit the turbine blades at very high speeds.

I've seen plenty of bent, pitted and cracked turbine blades, victims of dirty and dripping nozzles!
    From all the things I've lost,
    I miss my mind the most!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

This could be catastrophic with 100% meth and scorching hot turbos

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)

I am aware of the risk. But if you think about it, the compressors are nowhere near as hot as the inside of the cylinders of the engine. And the meth will not detonate until spark ignition. So although it is very volatile, it requires some activation energy to ignite.

I usually use 100% meth for pre turbo injection because meth evaporates faster than water, but like you were saying I didnt want to risk it so I ran 90/10 with good results.

The method I am using to inject doesnt allow droplets to make it to the compressors. Any droplets that form will just fall on the filter element and get soaked up.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Are you spraying before a filter?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Water/meth does not compress. Just make sure that there is a definitive way to insure that it is atomized before reaching the compressor. I have seen where a few centri superchargers have ripped themselves apart due to a bad meth nozzle spraying pre-compressor.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice results. Thank you for the tests. I never thought one could place nozzles actually right in front of the filters. How did you anchor the nozzles.

I believe alcoholinjections.com has nice write-up about where to place meth nozzles. I remember reading pre turbo/supercharger can very effective.
    This is my signature... Click here to enlarge