Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thumbs up M3 CSL Project! - subframe reinforcement

Hello Everyone!

Here we have one of the 3-5 CSL's in the Middle East from Kuwait belonging to Mr. Hamed. His car has the ESS CFR 500 kit, He contacted me to do some work on his beautiful and UNIQUE car as he had seen our work on the other cars from Kuwait. The work we will be doing:

TMS SUBFRAME REINFORCEMENT
    DIFF REBUILD WITH BMW 4.10 MOTORSPORT GEARS
    RTAB'S TO BE REPLACED WITH POWERFLEX ITEMS
    DIAGNOSE AND RESOLVE IDLE/MISFIRE PROBLEMS
    BMW OEM FRONT STRUT TOWER REINFORCEMENTS
    SOME MORE MISCELLANEOUS JOBS

Here are a few pics just to start off with. I'll update as the work continues........

Yes its a real CSL Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

AP Racing BBK
    Click here to enlarge

Sub frame carrier and rear end removed
    Click here to enlarge

View from below of the sub frame
    Click here to enlarge

As I left the workshop today they were beginning to remove the under seal so we will see if there are any cracks tomorrow. It didn't look like there were any so far.......

Updates as they happen
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

A turbo CLS re-enforced like this would be INSANE!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Well We are working with HPF as the owner has expressed interest in going TURBO in the future. We will try our best to make it happen if Hamed wishes to do so.
    Click here to enlarge

EURO 04 M3 Current Mods:GC DAs, Eibach Sways, PF RTAB's, RE RCAs, INTRAVEE II, Black Roundels, ///MFEST Badges, Depo's, Screen protector for NAV display, VCSL Bumper + Race Lip & CF Trunk & CF Rear Diffusor, DIETZ TV in Motion, SS= V1 Headers + catless pipes + X-Pipe + SS Sport Exhaust, Z8 Starter Button, Lamin-X, OEM CSL interior, OEM CSL Steering, OEM CSL Intake, OEM CSL Roof, MSS54HP + OEM CSL Tune, BBS CH's, LIGHTWERKZ, 355mm ST40 BBK, BW Oil Cooler....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

If he does lots of road racing it may make it trickier for him to handle, specifically part-throttle mid-turn, but I'm sure he would LOVE the power!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

He does street and track both.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Ok, so this would be in fact the first CSL to go with an HPF setup, anywhere, right?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Ok, so this would be in fact the first CSL to go with an HPF setup, anywhere, right?
    Yes IF the Owner gives me the go ahead, I have already discussed this issue with HPF and they are on stand by willing to assist as usual of Hamed goes ahead with the HPF upgrade Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Yes IF the Owner gives me the go ahead, I have already discussed this issue with HPF and they are on stand by willing to assist as usual of Hamed goes ahead with the HPF upgrade Click here to enlarge
    That would be awesome!!
    Click here to enlarge
    1977 S30Z

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 0-60Motorsports Click here to enlarge
    Ejaz, I honestly hope he goes for it. Plus, we would have front row seats for seeing it take place Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)

If you guys succeed with the tuning of the CSL I will follow suite with HPF and a CSL.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by George Smooth Click here to enlarge
    If you guys succeed with the tuning of the CSL I will follow suite with HPF and a CSL.
    Well now interest is mounting Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    UPDATE:

Well Folks here we can show you that even the CSL is prone to Sub Frame cracking!
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Cracks repaired and TMS kit installed underneath the car......
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

TMS kit installed inside the trunk area......
    Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge

Now we just need to seal it all off and paint and under seal it and it'll look like OEM, Like it was never touched Click here to enlarge

After this is complete and the guibo is replaced car will be sent over to the other shop for the ESS SC kit diagnosis and solve all problems. After speaking to the owner we might be upgrading the oil pump with an upgraded VAC unit and installing the HPF Oil cooler as well. Stay tuned for more updates as they happen.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

looking good! i wasnt aware they would crack so bad as well...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Matt, well I thought CSL's didnt have this issue but here it just goes to show that they do.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

That was a pretty bad crack, surprised it wasn't addressed on the CSL. If it cracks just like that NA with the HPF kit no surprise it would need to be addressed. No wonder the rear subframe is notorious on the E46, that is ridiculous.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

The car is not NA it's got the ESS 525 SC kit on it, buy yes CSL SF's do crack as we clearly see here.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

The car is not NA it's got the ESS 525 SC kit on i
    I see, do you think that contributed to it? You mentioned the CSL subframes seem to crack regardless.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    I see, do you think that contributed to it? You mentioned the CSL subframes seem to crack regardless.
    Yes FI increases the stress put on the already weak sub frame. In this case the car has FI which def contributed to this happening. If it was still NA I don't think it would happen soon, it all depends on so many things like roads, rtabs, etc
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    UPDATE:

Cracks? What cracks? Im sorry? whats a TMS kit? Click here to enlarge

Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

OEM style under sealing and painting Click here to enlarge Stealth install of the TMS Kit. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)

Great , no sign of cracks!
    Good job

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

How involved is this modification? It looks like you have to remove the carpet?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks, HeroSina

THATDONFC
    You only need to pull out the trunk carpets, no big deal.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Thanks, HeroSina

THATDONFC
    You only need to pull out the trunk carpets, no big deal.

Ahhh, I can see that in the pics now. That makes me feel a little bit better about doing this. I hate removing interiors and putting them back together.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

UPDATE:

Cracks? What cracks? Im sorry? whats a TMS kit? Click here to enlarge

http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...10/11/1555.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...10/11/1556.jpg
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...10/11/1557.jpg

OEM style under sealing and painting Click here to enlarge Stealth install of the TMS Kit. Click here to enlarge
    That looks extremely well done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)

Thanks Bro! Now just waiting for a reply from TMS for the subframe bushings so I can get them to Bahrain ASAP so we can finish up the subframe job and carry on with the other listed things. We might also be upgrading the oil pump from VAC Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast