Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Thats about right.

LM i was thinking of different routes but its tight...and i mean REAL tight back in that corner..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    Thats about right.

LM i was thinking of different routes but its tight...and i mean REAL tight back in that corner..
    hahaha...yay im starting to understand now....lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    When you start to pile boost into a high compression engine, too much will raise the charge air temps inside the chamber to the point of self ignition....you start doing nasty things to the engine like bending rods and stuff.

Pretty much one of the reasons you really cant put a lot of boost into a S65...12:1 compression is almost the limit of pump gas alone..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ultimate, yes pretty much, but according to that, raising boost even 1psi, negate the lost peak HP, and very rarely does one biild a motor to only raise it by 1 psi

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Matt@Camber-Toe Click here to enlarge
    When you start to pile boost into a high compression engine, too much will raise the charge air temps inside the chamber to the point of self ignition....you start doing nasty things to the engine like bending rods and stuff.

Pretty much one of the reasons you really cant put a lot of boost into a S65...12:1 compression is almost the limit of pump gas alone..
    i c i c.....matt is like my MR Miagi....im dan-son...lol

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    bringing this thread back from the dead...anyone been thinking of doing this still? I just recently found out that the con rods on the N54 are also forged...this leaves just the pistons as cast aluminum and really the only thing to worry about failing..well really its the rings on them due to compression ratio...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    bringing this thread back from the dead...anyone been thinking of doing this still? I just recently found out that the con rods on the N54 are also forged...this leaves just the pistons as cast aluminum and really the only thing to worry about failing..well really its the rings on them due to compression ratio...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    sorry, pistons are also forged as per E92Fan N54 total rebuild thread on e90post...they're made by Mahle...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=130
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    so it would seem then, to just lower compression, port the head, and find some fuel..

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    basically just get some fuel..porting the head would help yes but it doesn't look like its a roadblock to MO POWA! Click here to enlarge well at least not yet...i'm just worried about ringlands on the pistons with the 10.2:1 compression but with the right AFRs as to prevent detonation we should still be fine it looks...

tuning and fuel really, all that matters at this point still...staying below 13 AFR, around 12-12.5 when raising boost, with more fuel obviously, will I think squeeze past 600whp without issues, speaking conservatively...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i agree, it all really boils down to fuel still, but if we drop compression to 9.5 then that makes tuning, and higher boost pump gains even better, and adds that much larger safety to going higher in boost. the power loss from going lower comp. is negated by adding even 1psi more, so with fuel limit removed, you know we all are gonna go past what we currently do. That leaves us with the heads. if PAW or VAC can get someone even with stock turbo's to get there heads, we could see how that affects the flow/tq drop-off we all hate seeing, and thus allowing more "HP" up top- of course, again, IF we arent limited to fuel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    227 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I actually just emailed Lenny again from PAW to see if they got around to setting up their local 135i with their head and if they did any testing/tuning...apparently this 135i was also getting RBs so it'd be awesome to see some results...
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I actually just emailed Lenny again from PAW to see if they got around to setting up their local 135i with their head and if they did any testing/tuning...apparently this 135i was also getting RBs so it'd be awesome to see some results...
    I know a 335 was supposed to get RB and PAW head, but i think that fell through

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let us know how that goes. For whatever reason, I have had trouble getting in touch with PAW lately.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Great to know that the N54 has forged internals. I'm sure this will save a lot of money, for those looking to see crazy HP#s after a fuel solution comes out.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leo985i Click here to enlarge
    Great to know that the N54 has forged internals. I'm sure this will save a lot of money, for those looking to see crazy HP#s after a fuel solution comes out.
    Is the crank forged? Just curious.

Even forged internals have their limits, we will see hopefully! I think the N54 will take much more than has been thrown at it thus far.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The crankshaft is forged also........no wonder why this engine can take such a beating.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    The crankshaft is forged........
    Missed that, thanks.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kinda curious on why BMW made the N54 with forged internals, not being a ///M. I'm pretty sure cast alloy would have worked just fine with the N54 stock power levels, and save on costs. Also, I wonder if the N55 internals are forged also.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2131 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kinda curious on why BMW made the N54 with forged internals, not being a ///M. I'm pretty sure cast alloy would have worked just fine with the N54 stock power levels, and save on costs. Also, I wonder if the N55 internals are forged also.
    It would make sense for the N55 internals to be similar.

Not sure why BMW would make it with forged internals but perhaps all of their turbo motors are this way?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Just get the dead done and when you put it back on have someone make a thicker headgasket and boom 600whp all day at 24psi... With proper fueling that is Click here to enlarge
    JB4LIFE

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    If I had the money I'd of pulled and sent my head out already, I've called and talked to them a bit..... but I'm saving that for the 1M.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ill be seeing VAC guys tomorrow, they want to talk about what I want to do and what they can do for me.. hopefully I can pursuade them to let me just pay for the parts Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    its great to read that so much of our internals are forged, gives you a bit of peace of mind to an extent

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by LostMarine Click here to enlarge
    Ill be seeing VAC guys tomorrow, they want to talk about what I want to do and what they can do for me.. hopefully I can pursuade them to let me just pay for the parts Click here to enlarge
    Did you mean Sunday??? Or Monday? Any hints on the topic at hand?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast