Close

View Poll Results: Do you care if parts are original or replica?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • I only buy original parts, replicas should be eliminated as the lost revenue hurts OEM's.

5 21.74%
  • Parts are too expensive for BMW's, replicas keep prices from getting out of control.

5 21.74%
  • It depends on the part, sometimes a replica is better and safe, sometimes it isn't.

13 56.52%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    Ok gotcha. I don't think that carries over into this specific genre of business however, the difference in scale or market and $ in this specific sector (European tuning) is far smaller than that of the music industry. There's more to go around so less financial stress on everyone.
    It isn't apples to apples but just something to keep in mind.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MHP LLC Click here to enlarge
    I wouldn't say they are getting bitter, merely that they are doing what they are allowed to do legally speaking about the situation, and again I commend them for taking such action. You're right, you can't stop or win them all however that doesn't mean you should lie down and take it when you have a chance to do something about it either.

Stealing is stealing, if someone walks into your house and takes a painting off the wall and walks out with it you have every right to take it back.
    Absolutely true, but not all of it is stealing. Some of it is "inspiration" that is then modified. This happened with CSL parts and will happen with any other part. Blatant rip offs should be punished if they can be and sure, fight whatever battles that can be won in this regard. At the same time, I think there are some aspects where there is a necessary evil served here to keep market prices somewhat in check.

I'm all for paying for quality by the way, I'm just not all for getting taken advantage of.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I wouldn't waste my money on cosmetic mods anyways, the only time I'd buy a splitter is if I needed one to add downforce and then I'd buy one that has proven to do exactly that.

When it comes to performance parts, like MHP's headers, I would definitely shell out the cash for a quality part that has been proven to hold up to the stress of daily driving a car for tens of thousands of miles and to actually do whatever it is the company is claiming it will do for me. I'm not interested in cheap Ebay headers that will crack in a few months and I would hope most people would agree.

If you drive a Civic then knock yourself out with the $#@!ty knock off performance parts, you can probably buy a $#@!ty knock off of a Civic when yours blows up and you wouldn't even notice the difference.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    for engine and go fast parts i would never buy copy parts... since it has far more potential to $#@! up my engine... but say Aero parts and parts that dont affect the drivability and are more for looks i think copys would be fine
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    This is a great thread. It brings up some often-overlooked moral questions. Ultimately, I a believer that $#@! works itself out in the end. Ideas, software, and hardware get stolen all the time, and it aint right. It's impossible to completely enforce the laws - some of which are interpreted as "gray" areas. Companies that can't adapt to theft by improving their product or emphasizing quality will fall. Great companies will survive, regardless. If everyone only buys knock-offs, then we could loose innovation. Either way, it is what it is... this is the world we live in. People buy things without considering the moral impacts all the time. Most people justify their actions with their own private 12 person jury. I mean, how many people here think twice about removing their cats, or even their secondary cats? Companies that sell cheap copy parts pay taxes and employ Americans, too, right? ... just more food for thought

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Basically the power of information (internet) combined with not so great looking parts is ruining these high end "tuners"...in the 90s, especially early 90s, how many people even had internet let alone search engine's were sh*t...altavista and lycos used to rule Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno Click here to enlarge
    Basically the power of information (internet) combined with not so great looking parts is ruining these high end "tuners"...in the 90s, especially early 90s, how many people even had internet let alone search engine's were sh*t...altavista and lycos used to rule Click here to enlarge
    Certainly people learn way more about parts due to the internet and forums really but even way back in the day there were copies.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Ive been dealing with the aftermarket business for almost 11 years now. Over the course of time ive learned that when it comes to knockoff engine parts or performance parts, you get what you pay for...i try not to install replica bits because in the end they will cost you more time trying to get them in.

As far as wheels go, us people living here in the tri-state area have a bit of a problem. Our roads suck here and that is one thing that will never change nor can we change. Does that mean if we dont buy real BBS wheels we cant have any at all?

You hit a pothole here, the oem wheels will crack....so replicas cant be considered weaker all the time. Ive dealt with certain replica wheels and i bent the $#@! out of all 4 wheels on some minor bumps. Then we run linea corse wheels on my girls car and we have never ever had an issue....and we have accidently hit stuff that i thought was gonna rip the wheel off the car.

The other issue is that you bend one bbs wheel you are out a 1000 bucks. You dont ever see the cali guys havin an issue with roads smooth as glass. It just sucks here. LM can attest..there are some holes that will swallow your car.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    85 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Oh and another thing...sure selling knockoff engine/exhaust parts might be creating a job here for someone, but most of the time they dont give two $#@!s about how the product fits on your car. As sticky said they are just here to make a buck...they can go out of business or generate enough bad rep to just close down, change their name and reopen again. Ive seen it happen with several shops here in the Queens area...always someone else to screw and rip off.

Its something we can never get rid of...we can do a lot to slow it down and prevent its advance like posting reviews or using the internet to do research before you buy something or have a shop do the work. Of course that gets swayed as well by politics on forums and who pays who...so sometimes its like fighting an uphill battle...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    i have a vorsneir replica lip on my m6 and i couldnt justify spending 1500 on a real one that scrapes my driveway everyday, i rather buy a new one every summer for 250

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2089 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by MSIZZLE Click here to enlarge
    i have a vorsneir replica lip on my m6 and i couldnt justify spending 1500 on a real one that scrapes my driveway everyday, i rather buy a new one every summer for 250
    Same thinking here.

It isn't a black or white issue and a difficult one. That said, I wouldn't buy replica wheels.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    AC-Schnitzer says the copied wheels they seized were not as safe as their own wheels. This is likely correct, as the copied wheels failed TUEV testing
    Having crappy rims is always gonna cost you more than having originals. Especially if you hav a car capable of higg speeds and use it to specs.
    I think AC did the consumer a favor in this case.
    As with all parts which you use and rely on, be it engine parts, bolts, struts, or what not, going for an imitation part will always cost you in the end.
    If you're lucky it simply breaks. If your luck runs out, you can total your car since it wil only fail under stress...
    I remember a scandal few years back with airplane imitation parts, where even Airforce 1 was repaired with imitation parts. Most of those parts did not pass safety requirements.

As others already said, you get what you pay for.
    My 2 cts

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12