Close

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No

Spec / PTF Twin Disc initial impressions

Got the clutch and turbos in today. Only have about 5 miles on it, but here is what I have found so far.

First off, Pedal Feel: Literally feels like driving a stock clutch, this is not kinda feels like stock, a little heavier than stock, no it feels like a stock clutch yet holds 900WTQ.

10/10 on this

Second, Pedal engagement: Well I put the TO bearing on the low setting as I do with all my other clutches, this was a serious mistake. The clutch at first would not even disengage, after forcing it around the block a few times, it loosened up and now engages and disengages, but the engagement point is about 1/4" off the floor, I managed to get some more pedal by removing 2 spacers from my clutch stop, and now it engages, disengages perfectly fine, but as stated the pedal is VERY low (not good when looking for fast shifts using NLS). I will be pulling the tranny back out after its broken in and swapping the TO bearing over to the high setting, this will fix this issue. This is not an issue with the clutch as it is with TO bearing height choice. If you get this clutch USE THE HIGH SETTING. This is the joys of being first to use something..Click here to enlarge

5/10 because no instructions come with the clutch to warn you, you may need to use the higher setting to get proper engagement.

Clutch feel while driving: So far, going from the shop to my house, man this thing feels nice, no jerking from a stop, super smooth engagement, just all around very nice feel to it.

10/10

I will be updating this as I get it broken in, and on the dyno.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

3 out of 3 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    not that it really matters because who gets a 900ft-lb clutch and cares about noise - does it sound like marbles in a tin can when clutch in?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    not that it really matters because who gets a 900ft-lb clutch and cares about noise - does it sound like marbles in a tin can when clutch in?
    It sounds exactly the same as the 3+, same amount of transmission rattle, I will be experimenting with some different Transmission oils, to see if the help, but honestly this is just something you have to deal with. With the AC off its hardly noticeable at all

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Awesome review. Any pics of the clutch discs?
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    Awesome review. Any pics of the clutch discs?
    I only took some pics of it all together, not when it was apart.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

That low engagement point would annoy me big time. Sounds like a good product! Its a shame you can't do anything about the sound but it seems all aftermarket clutches with that holding power make noise.
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    That low engagement point would annoy me big time. Sounds like a good product! Its a shame you can't do anything about the sound but it seems all aftermarket clutches with that holding power make noise.
    I hate low engagement clutches, when I got it all together and it wouldn't disengage I was pretty annoyed not going to lie. But you live and learn, if you put it on the high TO setting it would be perfect, I just put 50 miles on it, I honestly love this clutch it so much, it is so much smoother than the 3+, absolutely no jerking at all when taking off, it literally feels like driving a stock clutch except for the engagement point, we will see how it does at the track with a lot of TQ, and launching it hard, but right now, I say this is THE clutch to get for over 500WHP N54 MT's.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Thanks for the review Tony, appreciate it. Sucks to hear the low setting on the TO bearing didn't work out in your case but the high setting should be bang on.

In terms of noise the single mass flywheel is what exposes the "gearbox" chatter. Its not the clutch that rattles, its the presence of a single mass instead of a dual mass flywheel "exposing" the rattly N54 manual gearbox sounds.

I've been thinking of adding some dynamat in the area above/around the gearbox. It may even make it go away entirely in the interior. Dynamat's pretty good at hiding noise away.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by dzenno@PTF Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the review Tony, appreciate it. Sucks to hear the low setting on the TO bearing didn't work out in your case but the high setting should be bang on.

In terms of noise the single mass flywheel is what exposes the "gearbox" chatter. Its not the clutch that rattles, its the presence of a single mass instead of a dual mass flywheel "exposing" the rattly N54 manual gearbox sounds.

I've been thinking of adding some dynamat in the area above/around the gearbox. It may even make it go away entirely in the interior. Dynamat's pretty good at hiding noise away.

Judging by the way you're saying this, did the low setting on the TOB work for you?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    Judging by the way you're saying this, did the low setting on the TOB work for you?
    I haven't had a chance to try this clutch on my car just yet.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Yeah, its the tranny rattle, its no worse than a 3+ with Steel SMFW, I bought the UUC cockatil for $#@!s and giggles, but do not have much faith in it doing much. So far loving the clutch

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Dz will this mate up to the non-SAC steel SMF that I use with my spec stg 3+?
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Dz will this mate up to the non-SAC steel SMF that I use with my spec stg 3+?
    This clutch uses its own special flywheel, and it comes with the clutch. Just pull your old set up and sell it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    This clutch uses its own special flywheel, and it comes with the clutch. Just pull your old set up and sell it.
    Thanks for the answer Tony. Interested in seeing what the RRP is as I want something lighter than the Sg3+ I already have. Good see it has a stock like pedal feel.
    Alpine White 2008 6MT 335i - Cobb AP - PTF Tuned - RB Turbos - AR DPs - VRSF 3.5" exhaust - Custom FMIC - 380mm BBK F&R - BMS DCI - M3 DCT LSD - Whiteline subframe bushes - M3 Sways and rear arms - M3 wishbones - ER CP - Spec Stage 3+ clutch and steel SMFW - AST 4100 Coilovers - UUC DSSR -UUC Black tranny mounts - TMS Alu diff bushes - Forge DVs - Aquamist HFS-4 meth - Alufelgen CS7s - BMWP V1 Steering Wheel

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by idnan Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the answer Tony. Interested in seeing what the RRP is as I want something lighter than the Sg3+ I already have. Good see it has a stock like pedal feel.
    I should have weighed it, thought about it after.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I should have weighed it, thought about it after.
    By lighter I meant pedal pressure but that's a good point too! The fiance loves driving my car so a lighter pedal would help.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

Yeah, its the tranny rattle, its no worse than a 3+ with Steel SMFW, I bought the UUC cockatil for $#@!s and giggles, but do not have much faith in it doing much. So far loving the clutch
    If you come down this weekend hit me up. I'd definitely like to try out the clutch!
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    When will this clutch be available for purchase? Price range?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Formula1rr Click here to enlarge
    When will this clutch be available for purchase? Price range?
    also curious Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Got about 150 miles on it now, the pedal keeps coming up, so its not near as bad, this just concrets the fact if I used the high setting it would be perfect. The pedal feel literally blows me away how light it is, shifts are smooth, no jerks when taking off, so far so good, this will change the N54 MT high horsepower landscape

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

Got about 150 miles on it now, the pedal keeps coming up, so its not near as bad, this just concrets the fact if I used the high setting it would be perfect. The pedal feel literally blows me away how light it is, shifts are smooth, no jerks when taking off, so far so good, this will change the N54 MT high horsepower landscape
    It uses an OEM TOB, correct? And not a hydraulic one?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    It uses an OEM TOB, correct? And not a hydraulic one?
    Clutch comes with a billet TOB

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)

Price is 1850 and it includes the flywheel. Its most likely the last clutch you'll ever buy for this car given 900ft-lb holding capacity and smoother engagement than anything else on the market. Its not on our website yet but I'm hoping to add it tonight. They're ready to ship so anyone interested please PM or email me and we'll take care of it.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Price is 1850 and it includes the flywheel. Its most likely the last clutch you'll ever buy for this car given 900ft-lb holding capacity and smoother engagement than anything else on the market. Its not on our website yet but I'm hoping to add it tonight. They're ready to ship so anyone interested please PM or email me and we'll take care of it.
    Well there you go, honestly I cannot get over how smooth this clutch is

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    172 Post(s)

We can't get it from spec? Only from you guys?
    Burger Motorsports

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast