Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Stock Audi RS7 vs. a stock Porsche Panamera Turbo with the optional power kit in a drag race

Two turbocharged all wheel drive german luxury performance sedans going at it here. The Audi RS7 offers 560 horsepower stock from a 4.0 liter twin turbo V8. The Porsche Panamera Turbo has a larger 4.8 liter V8 that is also twin turbocharged but it is less powerful rated at 520 horsepower. Porsche offers an optional power kit for roughly $20k that boosts the output into the 540 horsepower range thanks to upgraded turbochargers and more aggressive tuning.

Click here to enlarge

The Porsche Panamera Turbo uses a PDK dual clutch transmission whereas the RS7 uses a more traditional automatic. The weight between the two is a wash in the 44XX range. We have already seen the RS7 beat the Panamera Turbo decisively in a straight line but does the power kit change the outcome?

No, the RS7 is still faster. Even if the more powerful Panamera Turbo S with its 570 horsepower were put in place of this Panamer Turbo the RS7 still looks like it is too strong to overcome. The RS7 despite its smaller motor and lack of a dual clutch transmission simply is the stronger car especially considering just an ECU tune gets it into the 10's in the ~130 trap speed range.

The RS7 is a beast.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Crazy. It seems like it would be stacked in the P-car's favor, and yet it wasn't even really close.

-Rich
    E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    L322 Range Rover Java Black (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

All the new V8 turbo sedans spank the Panamera. It's probably time for a new generation.

You'd think the PDK would give it an advantage along with the larger motor but the RS7 is just a beast.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Audi significant underrates the RS7. For example Audi claims 560hp and 516 trq, but APR measured at 582 hp and 563 trq.

I can't imagine $20k for 20hp. APR's tune provides 124/179 over Audi's rating on 93 octane for 3k.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yea that was more a win then i thought!

But, Panamera is such a pleasure to drive, its an amazing machine for such a big sedan, the way to handles and the steering feel are one of the best on earth...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ensoniq Click here to enlarge
    Audi significant underrates the RS7. For example Audi claims 560hp and 516 trq, but APR measured at 582 hp and 563 trq.

I can't imagine $20k for 20hp. APR's tune provides 124/179 over Audi's rating on 93 octane for 3k.
    Yes but Porsche changes the turbos and provides their warranty. It's about on par for a Porsche power kit.

The aftermarket of course is a better value.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 5soko Click here to enlarge
    Yea that was more a win then i thought!

But, Panamera is such a pleasure to drive, its an amazing machine for such a big sedan, the way to handles and the steering feel are one of the best on earth...
    Out of the sedans the Panamera is by far the sportiest. It just is no longer the fastest in a straight line.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

And then a corner happened and the RS 7 understeered into a tree while heaving over onto its door handles.

One just drove past me, gorgeous car. But I would never buy one.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by leveraged sellout Click here to enlarge
    And then a corner happened and the RS 7 understeered into a tree while heaving over onto its door handles.
    Funny because it's plausible.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    Funny because it's plausible.
    Exactly. Every time I see one I think of that.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They sure don't handle like my z06, but as long as you don't nail it and try to turn, they track pretty well.

It's kind of hard to describe and not what I expected but up to around 75/80% of max it's stable, predictable, and controllable. Above that and it's too hairy for me to want to risk it.

I'm running the 100 octane tune right now on mine and its a perm-smile experience. A legit anytime mid 10 second car that never spins the tires is a thing to experience.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ensoniq Click here to enlarge

That's nothing compared to E 63 AMG and they 630ps+

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Eryk03 Click here to enlarge
    That's nothing compared to E 63 AMG and they 630ps+
    The RS7 doesn't give up anything to the E63 and in some tests has bested it. The crank output you guys are talking about depends on who and how they are measuring it.

Both cars are underrated though.