Close

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Expert opinions wanted re M3 control arms

So when you upgrade to M3 front control arms on a 335i (both lower and upper arms) you essentially gain neg camber by pushing out the lower edge of the front wheels if I understand correctly. This essentially widens your front track and was wondering what kind of overall effect this has on stability/handling in general? Doesn't the M3 come with a wider rear track than 335i cars to match the wider front (with stock M3 arms)? If so, what negative effects if any would you get (compared to M3) since now on the 335i (after installing M3 front control arms), the front track is wider than the rear and sort of unbalanced as far as track width goes front to rear?
    Last edited by nikitino25; 08-24-2014 at 04:35 AM.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Damn man I'm trying to find a thread that covers this pretty in depth. Let me see if I can find it...
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Thanks for the links. I have one more slightly easier question. I notice with the stock arms (and with shock tower pins removed so max stock neg camber) that when you turn the steering wheel, the ratio is low so that the car does not turn right away relative to how much you turn the wheel. Will M3 front arms and max neg camber remedy that so that the car turns faster with less steering effort; or mainly less steering wheel rotation?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Basically I want you guys to convince me to get some new M3 front control arms. If I do, will I also need some new tie rods like Mahle upgraded? Also I've noticed a couple spots where the bushings on mine could have been leaking but not sure. Stock control arm bushings have liquid filled bushings if I'm not mistaken?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2056 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by nikitino25 Click here to enlarge
    Will M3 front arms and max neg camber remedy that so that the car turns faster with less steering effort; or mainly less steering wheel rotation?
    I would think this is more of a steering rack issue.
    Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale: http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    78 Post(s)

Basically I want you guys to convince me to get some new M3 front control arms. If I do, will I also need some new tie rods like Mahle upgraded? Also I've noticed a couple spots where the bushings on mine could have been leaking but not sure. Stock control arm bushings have liquid filled bushings if I'm not mistaken?
    Stock are liquid filled, mine started leaking on the driver side right under where the steering fluid reservoir is. Its a thick purple/black liquid.

You wont need new tie rod ends, just the 4 control arms. Also, in regards to the quicker turning, you would need to swap to an M3 steering rack for that, which is a worthy albeit expensive upgrade.
    2011 E90 M3 \ Melbourne Rot Metallic

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Yeah I was just hoping that the gained negative camber with M3 arms would kind of mitigate the sensation; I think they will to some extent although a quicker steering rack would be nice also....

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

So when you upgrade to M3 front control arms on a 335i (both lower and upper arms) you essentially gain neg camber by pushing out the lower edge of the front wheels if I understand correctly. This essentially widens your front track and was wondering what kind of overall effect this has on stability/handling in general? Doesn't the M3 come with a wider rear track than 335i cars to match the wider front (with stock M3 arms)? If so, what negative effects if any would you get (compared to M3) since now on the 335i (after installing M3 front control arms), the front track is wider than the rear and sort of unbalanced as far as track width goes front to rear?
    I can help answer the question on what would happen if you widened the front, and not the rear of a car. You will have a "quicker" corner entry; in other words, turn-in will improve and the car will feel lighter on it's nose (dartier might be a good word?). I don't think you will have any negative effects - maybe a bit easier to induce oversteer, but that last part is a guess that seems logical. I am by far not a suspension expert.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)

put em on and don't think so far into it. You'll love em
    Click here to enlarge
    Vargas Turbo dealer and installation center
    Level 10 distributor and installation center
    Burger Motorsports Tier 2 dealer and installation center
    Turner Motorsports dealer and installation center
    Bimmerworld dealer and installation center
    Shipping built/stroked/CNC ported N54's Internationally!
    Follow us!
    http://www.facebook.com/BMWdoctor
    http://twitter.com/abrhouston
    http://instagram.com/abrhouston/
    http://abrhouston.com
    http://abr.genbook.com Book online appointments!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by alex@ABRhouston Click here to enlarge
    put em on and don't think so far into it. You'll love em
    Yep I think I will soon.......