Close

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Surging/ oscillations running cobb on my car.

I have Cobb V3 and am going through the ptf tune as well. I've had way too many revisions and still have this issue. It seems like the car is taking off, and then a parachute opens slowing me down and then the parachute rips and i take off again.

I had OFT with Procede stacked and the car ripped through the gears. I am running a FBO car with Meth. I had Procede control my aquamist meth and was running IA8OS ecu.

I then had an ecu failure (mosfet issue) so bmw replaced it with IJE0S now. Also got 6 new coils and injectors and plugs. As such, i removed Procede/OFT and got Cobb v3. Connected Aquamist directly to ECU.

I am trying to troubleshoot as not to blame tunes. I replaced the Boost Solenoids and all boost hoses and then i read somewhere that vanos solenoids could also cause this so replaced that as well. Running out of ideas.

I can be driving with throttle constant and the car is surging or fluctuating though the pedal is held constant.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I would send logs to PTF and let them help. When u back to stock map, does it happen?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by quattr0 Click here to enlarge
    I would send logs to PTF and let them help. When u back to stock map, does it happen?
    +1 if you are running a PTF tune, they will work with you to get it figured out

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am working with them. I've had numerous revisions and they have been great with that but the issue still persists. I want to rule out possible hardware or mechanical issues hence the post. I am currently running stock mode to see if I am having the same issues. I even threw in my procede to see if it improved anything for me. It's only been on 1 day and I haven't really had a chance to push it much.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You said you are currently running stock mode to see if you're having issues? I'd say running the stock map should rule out tuning if you still have the issue. That's probably a good place to start. Let us know what happens on stock mapping and report back. I've experienced this as well but it's usually more prevalent on piggybacks.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That's pretty much my experience as well. When I ran procede and JB4, I felt it but not as bad. With the previous OFT/Procede combo, had no issues. Then went to cobb after some hardware updates and now having this issue. I'll let you know how it turns out in the next few days.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2109 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Let's see what @Josh@Cobb says.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Not sure which one of us you're working with bht feel free to email me directly with your last map and log and we'll sirt it out. It could be boost control but it could be mechanical as well such as sticking wg actuators, faulty diverter valves, etc in any case feel free to email me with any details you've got
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Hey Dzenno,
    Sent you an email and i'll pm you who worked on my car. As mentioned, this could just be an issue with my hardware. I just want it working!
    Appreciate it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You've got mail! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Had the same issue lately so OP keep us updated please Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I had the same issue with my 335. It ended up being a hardware issue. It almost always is imo. With the piggys, you don't feel it as much but its there. You have a boost leak somewhere or a wg issue, or something.... its not the tune imo
    Click here to enlarge
    ESS 6XX kit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    OP any update ?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Kinda hard to give advice without seeing your logs. Any chance you could post 'em?

Have you checked your wastegate bushings for play? If a tuning shop with PTF's knowledge and experience isn't able to fix a overshoot/instability issue via the PID tables, hardware is where I'd look next, and play in the wastegate bushing would be a possible culprit. Effectively, play there would induce hysteresis and slop in the turbo control system and would reduce the DME's ability to accurately target boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    repeat post

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Oilphase Click here to enlarge
    Had the same issue lately so OP keep us updated please Click here to enlarge
    Still working on the issue

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bobS Click here to enlarge
    I had the same issue with my 335. It ended up being a hardware issue. It almost always is imo. With the piggys, you don't feel it as much but its there. You have a boost leak somewhere or a wg issue, or something.... its not the tune imo
    Problem is that I don't know where to start. I'm not blaming the tune. I just want to know if anyone else has ideas for me. I'm grasping at straws. I figured that I would be able to see it on the logs but the logs don't seem to show it and I've sent them to PTF.
    To give an idea of what ive tried.
    Boost solenoids replaced
    Boost hoses
    Vanos solenoids
    Serviced dv's
    New coils
    New injectors
    New plugs
    New oil

Next on list
    Remove secondary cats and replace with Vibrant Resonators
    Smoke test through car for leaks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EvanL Click here to enlarge
    Kinda hard to give advice without seeing your logs. Any chance you could post 'em?

Have you checked your wastegate bushings for play? If a tuning shop with PTF's knowledge and experience isn't able to fix a overshoot/instability issue via the PID tables, hardware is where I'd look next, and play in the wastegate bushing would be a possible culprit. Effectively, play there would induce hysteresis and slop in the turbo control system and would reduce the DME's ability to accurately target boost.
    Here you go man. There are 2 logs attached to that
    http://datazap.me/u/badass335/stage2...1&data=3-14-18

Actually i'm thinking its possible it is the wastegates. Is there any way I can determine this? I may have to look at possibly getting them replaced if that's the case!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by badass335 Click here to enlarge
    Here you go man. There are 2 logs attached to that
    http://datazap.me/u/badass335/stage2...1&data=3-14-18

Actually i'm thinking its possible it is the wastegates. Is there any way I can determine this? I may have to look at possibly getting them replaced if that's the case!
    Thanks for posting your logs. Unfortunately, we'll need to see some other parameters in order to get a good grasp of what's going on. About all I can see from here is that you're exceeding your requested load @ ~2800RPM. Could you add the following monitors and re-log?

- Req. Boost Abs
    - WGDC Bank 1
    - Boost Mean Abs
    - WGDC Base Value

For posterity, I'd recommend logging Cyl 1-6 timing correction (you can then get rid of Cyl 2 & 3 absolute timing) as well. If you need to make space for more monitors and aren't doing any fuel tuning, you can get rid of your STFT monitors as well as your LPFP and HPFP requested monitors.

As per the wastegates, the only way to determine with any certainty if there's any play in the bushing is to remove the downpipes and fiddle (technical term) with the wastegate while holding the actuator in place. If it's loose, it'll pivot around the bushing more like a spherical joint rather than axial. Oh, and while you're in there, take the extra step to calibrate your wastegates with manual vacuum applied to the actuators at the same time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    SO I just came back from BMW. The shop foreman took the car for a drive and he could definitely feel what I have been feeling as well. We ran stage0 and he could feel it but just not as pronounced. What he suggests is,
    -test out the coils to verify on their systems
    -verify the injectors are working properly
    -test the HPFP and LPFP
    -Test the mechanical aspect of the wastegates

Once done, we'll see where we are at. I have to book it in for this.

Now, I ran stage2+ ST aggressive on the way home and here are the logs with the additional parameters as you requested. Again, would like to mention that I appreciate the time being spent on this.

http://datazap.me/u/badass335/stage2...13&zoom=22-176

That's a 2nd and 3rd gear run letting the car shift (Auto)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by EvanL Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for posting your logs. Unfortunately, we'll need to see some other parameters in order to get a good grasp of what's going on. About all I can see from here is that you're exceeding your requested load @ ~2800RPM. Could you add the following monitors and re-log?

- Req. Boost Abs
    - WGDC Bank 1
    - Boost Mean Abs
    - WGDC Base Value

For posterity, I'd recommend logging Cyl 1-6 timing correction (you can then get rid of Cyl 2 & 3 absolute timing) as well. If you need to make space for more monitors and aren't doing any fuel tuning, you can get rid of your STFT monitors as well as your LPFP and HPFP requested monitors.

As per the wastegates, the only way to determine with any certainty if there's any play in the bushing is to remove the downpipes and fiddle (technical term) with the wastegate while holding the actuator in place. If it's loose, it'll pivot around the bushing more like a spherical joint rather than axial. Oh, and while you're in there, take the extra step to calibrate your wastegates with manual vacuum applied to the actuators at the same time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I am experiencing surging and oscillation as well. I am interested in what you find out. I only experience surging when trying to keep the car at a constant speed and it will start to surge. I get the sensation that the throttle is being depressed, not depressed, depressed, not depressed etc. I am also FBO and running a PTF tune. I also don't really think that it is the tune but I have not idea where to start. http://www.datazap.me/u/lamboworld/e...=0&data=1-6-20

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @lamboworld your issue is simply a pid control issue and evident in the log. Please email me at dzenno@protuningfreaks.com with a link to this post, your tuner and the map you're runnibg and we can have this addressed. @badass335 issue is quite a bit different and likely hardware
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Dzenno, I just e-mailed you. Thanks

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by badass335 Click here to enlarge
    Still working on the issue
    Mine is sorted out finally maybe it will work for you, use BT cable and reset ECU, Throttle adaptation, vanos, octane ... etc and cleaned intake filter. Wired thing the car did not start up and give bunch of failures on idrive screen but after few start up every thing went OK. Drive it for 70 KM with tune on/off no Surging or oscillations in low RPM or high.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    badass

when was last time you changed coils n plugs ?
    2005 Porsche 996 TTS RWD - Eurodyne 60-130 in 6.50s
    2015 Audi A3 2.0 TFSI - Eurodyne 0 - 100 in 10.67s
    2015 McLaren 650S (RHD) - UK - 1/3rd owner yet to drive

Click here to enlarge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast