Close

Thread: Emissions FYI

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Emissions FYI

For those of you running a backend flash, you will fail even with a dpfix.

Make sure you flash back to stock.

This is a fact.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by triggz Click here to enlarge
    For those of you running a backend flash, you will fail even with a dpfix.

Make sure you flash back to stock.

This is a fact.
    No, this is not a fact. I pass with catless downpipes and my flash tune every year, I don't change a thing I just pull in and get a sticker.

It is state dependent, that is a fact. In MA you are allowed to pass with one monitor not ready which in my case is the cat. MA is very forgiving in this way.

You should really list your state and their specific requirements.
    Last edited by Torgus; 08-21-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well then your flash is a one-off because most of the backend flashes remove the CEL for the cat. I failed two tests. Removed the backend flash and I passed instantly.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well then your flash is a one-off because most of the backend flashes remove the CEL for the cat. I failed two tests. Removed the backend flash and I passed instantly.
    Just a Bren tune.

It depends on your state regarding what you can and cannot get away with.

In MA catless downpipes and a flash is just fine to get your sticker.

I would be much more interested in what you failed for and your state's specific regulations.

I'm not some one off case, everyone in MA is fine, I am sure other states are the same.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Depends which monitors need to be reporting a ready state. In MD you can fail 1 of the three, I believe it's the evap monitor but don't quote me on that. I know for a fact that folks have rolled into the testing station with a catless flash tune, and passed without issue as the other 2 monitors were reporting all systems go.

I have heard that you need to unflash to a "stg1" type tune to pass if your state requires all monitors to be in a ready state. That would make sense.....My test in MD is coming up in a week or so, I'm tempted to try it without a DPfix but since I already have one on loan may as well re-flash to STG0 OTS and put the DPfix in.
    E88 N54 w stuff
    F30 335 X-Drive EBII....PPK otherwise Stock
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this is how I know it deletes the cat codes and if it does then your cats will never be set ready. I drove with auto-code clear off and no dpfix for over a year with a backend flash and I never had a CEL pop once. Before the backend flash I would have CEL after 20-30 minutes of highway driving. I failed twice with O2 sensor and Cat not ready. I flashed back to stock and I passed with just Cat not ready. Evap and O2 were ready.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 135pats Click here to enlarge
    Depends which monitors need to be reporting a ready state. In MD you can fail 1 of the three, I believe it's the evap monitor but don't quote me on that. I know for a fact that folks have rolled into the testing station with a catless flash tune, and passed without issue as the other 2 monitors were reporting all systems go.

I have heard that you need to unflash to a "stg1" type tune to pass if your state requires all monitors to be in a ready state. That would make sense.....My test in MD is coming up in a week or so, I'm tempted to try it without a DPfix but since I already have one on loan may as well re-flash to STG0 OTS and put the DPfix in.
    FWIW if you ask the guy at the shop to let you know if it is going to fail before they actually fail it they are usually willing to as opposed to putting on a rejection sticker and being stuck going back to that exact shop. At least that has been my experience. You could always go in the 1st day of the month and see if you can pass without doing anything.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Well this is how I know it deletes the cat codes and if it does then your cats will never be set ready. I drove with auto-code clear off and no dpfix for over a year with a backend flash and I never had a CEL pop once. Before the backend flash I would have CEL after 20-30 minutes of highway driving. I failed twice with O2 sensor and Cat not ready. I flashed back to stock and I passed with just Cat not ready. Evap and O2 were ready.
    Curious why you didn't run a DPfix for the test after un-flashing? It seems easy enoguh. My test is in a month and was going to throw one on.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Tzu Click here to enlarge
    Curious why you didn't run a DPfix for the test after un-flashing? It seems easy enoguh. My test is in a month and was going to throw one on.
    I run the dpfix for the test after un-flashing, that's why I passed. You can't pass without a dpfix.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You can't pass without a dpfix.
    In your state/country/county, not in all locations Click here to enlarge Good thing they are dirt cheap to make.

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I passed every year with no problems in Dallas TX area. You are allowed one not ready, never had an issue. Also as far as I know the backend flash is only hiding the CEL and shouldn't prevent readiness if you had cats or dpfix. You might have to clear and reset after swapping parts to get it to recheck though.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I run the dpfix for the test after un-flashing, that's why I passed. You can't pass without a dpfix.
    I always thought the dpfix would provide both cat and O2 readiness.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I have no problems with flash end and dps

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Yeah the lean cruise is an issue for O2 readiness. I fixed it by targeting 14.671 afr at idle instead of 14.9, don't think what you're running has that. If the O2 sensors aren't switching at stioch from rich/lean enough they won't get readiness, it isn't an issue other than emissions.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The way the backend flash disables the monitor all together, it won't even test. You'd have to edit the backend flash in tuner pro, you would have to be set from "00" to "56" for both Cat 1 and Cat 2 in tuner pro. Then after you flash it, put the DP fix on, then once you get it passed. Take off the DP fix, and set the table back to 00.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    67 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Don't think that's what he means. It's assumed with no cats and the "cat" codes disabled, that the catalyst will not be ready. Not an issue as most places give you one free monitor. But you have to have EVERYTHING else ready in that case. The flash he's running has some changes to lean it out at cruise for fuel economy that extended a bit too far into idle, and while this isn't an issue other than emissions it keeps the O2 sensors from being "ready". Readiness tests to make sure the O2 sensors are switching rich/lean enough, the test conditions are met at idle for our car when you sit at red lights and such (EVAP and other things tested at cruise). Since it was leaned out, the O2 sensors were not switching frequent enough to gain readiness. The car was doing what it was being asked to do (run slightly lean), but not passing what the monitors thought it should be doing, if that makes sense. It required changing about 5 boxes in the AFR target to fix.

This is what is should look like (in german) if you want to pass in INPA.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    I passed every year with no problems in Dallas TX area. You are allowed one not ready, never had an issue. Also as far as I know the backend flash is only hiding the CEL and shouldn't prevent readiness if you had cats or dpfix. You might have to clear and reset after swapping parts to get it to recheck though.
    I'm in NY and they also allow one "not ready" monitor. My car is a 2011 so N55 but I don't expect there would be a difference in how the Cobb suppresses the code, anyone have experience with just the Cobb NOT stacked with a JB4? Will I end up with 1 monitor not ready or 2?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by tke344 Click here to enlarge
    I'm in NY and they also allow one "not ready" monitor. My car is a 2011 so N55 but I don't expect there would be a difference in how the Cobb suppresses the code, anyone have experience with just the Cobb NOT stacked with a JB4? Will I end up with 1 monitor not ready or 2?
    If you don't already have INPA I would look into that and verify it yourself. I do each time, spent two months last time chasing down EVAP leak codes. Most programs can be found, you can never have enough tools when it comes to these cars after you start changing things.
    2008 135i - Cobb AP, JB4 G5 w/2Step&FSB, MS DP's, Berk street exhaust, AMS IC, VTT Inlets, UR Intake, ER CP w/Tial BOV, Spec 3+ & Steel FW, CDV delete, Quaife LSD, DSS Axles, M3 control arms, M3 rear SF bushings, M3 Trans bushings, SS brake lines. Pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by brusk Click here to enlarge
    If you don't already have INPA I would look into that and verify it yourself. I do each time, spent two months last time chasing down EVAP leak codes. Most programs can be found, you can never have enough tools when it comes to these cars after you start changing things.
    Yeah I bought some 10$ App for my phone that displays the readiness monitors, trouble codes etc. I have an ODBII bluetooth adapter that it connects with. I haven't actually bought the downpipe yet so I'm not sure if my results will be the same once it's installed as far as readiness. I may just wait until right after this year's test and then get it installed, so I have more time to figure out what I need to do (if anything)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    What I did notice while I was playing around, even with the code disabled via ATR I went to a ready state for the catalyst monitor, the two that stayed not ready for a while were oxygen sensor and EVAP. I know EVAP can take a long time and my AFR table was altered for e85 so that might have had an effect on the o2 sensor monitor. Never did see it all the way through though, been constantly tweaking my tune so everything gets reset each time.