Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    i meant as a guess based off the stock LPFP being able to make a standard single HPFP take a dive sometimes, and a single walbro 450 being able to do it without a worry (especially on E85)

either way, i'm extremely excited for this + shotgun results!Click here to enlarge
    Yes...it is A LOT of fuel capacity on the low pressure side.

Downside...for international customers we're going to have to figure something out as your top hats are different and this system requires that they are modified.

Not a huge deal, but it will be a bridge we'll have to cross.
    Click here to enlarge
    Click on the banner to visit our store...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by SteveAZ Click here to enlarge
    Yes...it is A LOT of fuel capacity on the low pressure side.

Downside...for international customers we're going to have to figure something out as your top hats are different and this system requires that they are modified.

Not a huge deal, but it will be a bridge we'll have to cross.
    are they major differences?

nothing that will outright prevent us from getting them, i take it?
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

are they major differences?

nothing that will outright prevent us from getting them, i take it?
    No...it'll just require a couple extra steps on your part. Not a big deal and frankly, if you're that far in to the power mods that require this type of fueling....it's pretty trivial. Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Sorry for the crappy video....but here is another video of me flow testing Vargas' stage 3 LPFP before sending it out to them. I wanted to show just how much fuel is flowing so it's a bit jumpy. My apologies and I'm building up another stage 3, so I'll try and get some better footage.

Also, I've been getting a few inquiries about this setup.

This is fun to do and see the results and all, but this is NOT for you if you're not pushing some serious HP. This is basically what the 1000 HP Supras run...it is A LOT of fuel!
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

That's awesome! Love the vid.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2064 Post(s)

Sorry for the crappy video....but here is another video of me flow testing Vargas' stage 3 LPFP before sending it out to them. I wanted to show just how much fuel is flowing so it's a bit jumpy. My apologies and I'm building up another stage 3, so I'll try and get some better footage.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-lRdynDTk0

Also, I've been getting a few inquiries about this setup.

This is fun to do and see the results and all, but this is NOT for you if you're not pushing some serious HP. This is basically what the 1000 HP Supras run...it is A LOT of fuel!
    That's a cool vid! Short, simple, and to the point.

That's a lot of flow!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Stage 3 is installed in the car, we have not hooked up the second stage yet as I spent all 3 of my days off getting the twin disc clutch, new turbos etc put back in the car. Wiring in a Hobbs switch, and running wiring on Labor day was not really appealing, to me or my GF..Click here to enlarge We can't make any big power until the clutch is broken in, so we will get the hobbs switch / wiring done this week, and look forward to seeing how it does. The bucket was very high quality, and everything fit as it should, as always you have to fight those buckets to get them in, but I have to fight a stock bucket with all the lines etc. It was no harder than a stock bucket to install, and all the fittings, etc looked top notch. Very nice Job Steve!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)

wow that's a hell of a lot of flow @ 0:56 !.. I don't know what i really expected though :/
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Stage 3 is installed in the car, we have not hooked up the second stage yet as I spent all 3 of my days off getting the twin disc clutch, new turbos etc put back in the car. Wiring in a Hobbs switch, and running wiring on Labor day was not really appealing, to me or my GF..Click here to enlarge We can't make any big power until the clutch is broken in, so we will get the hobbs switch / wiring done this week, and look forward to seeing how it does. The bucket was very high quality, and everything fit as it should, as always you have to fight those buckets to get them in, but I have to fight a stock bucket with all the lines etc. It was no harder than a stock bucket to install, and all the fittings, etc looked top notch. Very nice Job Steve!
    Thanks, no problem running it as just stage 2 while you're breaking in the clutch and so on. Then When you're ready to make big power you can fire up the secondary. Click here to enlarge

wow that's a hell of a lot of flow @ 0:56 !.. I don't know what i really expected though :/
    Hahaha...here's a little better video I made of another Stage 3 assembly I built up for an additional beta tester to show the primary output vs. the primary and the secondary.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

@SteveAZ How about using fast optocoupler or 40-50 amp MOSFET instead of relay control for the secondary pump? I mean, both pumps could be PWM controlled all the time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Btw, has anyone confirmed that the stock pump is actually PWM controlled or is the adjustment done only with pressure regulator?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

As for PWM controlling both pumps...no matter what you'd still have to run a new wiring harness. It's not difficult and those instructions and parts will be included in the production kits.

As for the stock pump being PWM controlled...yes, we have verified this 100%. Beyond a certain load (I forget the exact number)...the duty cycle goes to 100% and that is the only time the regulator is really functioning. During idle and cruise fuel pressures are controlled via PWM to maintain 70psi or so and although I wouldn't recommend it...you can get away with not having a regulator....this too has been verified.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

As for PWM controlling both pumps...no matter what you'd still have to run a new wiring harness. It's not difficult and those instructions and parts will be included in the production kits.

As for the stock pump being PWM controlled...yes, we have verified this 100%. Beyond a certain load (I forget the exact number)...the duty cycle goes to 100% and that is the only time the regulator is really functioning. During idle and cruise fuel pressures are controlled via PWM to maintain 70psi or so and although I wouldn't recommend it...you can get away with not having a regulator....this too has been verified.
    Thanks for the info & have to say you have nice setup there,

I was planning to make a kind of PWM booster for my 450 to ease up the current draw from the FPM but only if my car starts to blow fuses.

Inevitable, I started to think (just out of curiosity) how the twin pump could be controlled via PWM... Zener diode & trimmer for the 2nd pump start-up control & mosfet for the PWM boost.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by -335i- Click here to enlarge
    Thanks for the info & have to say you have nice setup there,

I was planning to make a kind of PWM booster for my 450 to ease up the current draw from the FPM but only if my car starts to blow fuses.

Inevitable, I started to think (just out of curiosity) how the twin pump could be controlled via PWM... Zener diode & trimmer for the 2nd pump start-up control & mosfet for the PWM boost.
    I just got my pump set up, it activates at 15 PSI via a Hobbs switch and 30 amp relay, the hobbs switch is under the hood and the relay is right off the battery with as short as possible 12 gauge wire to the pump. This is the correct way to do it, but I know Steve hates it, but I ran two 450's both wired into the factory harness for over 3000 miles and never blew a single fuse, so it is possible, but not the ideal set up. The way steve has it set up is perfect. I got lucky because I had a return style system set up on here a while back, and I had the foresight to leave my relay and all wiring in trunk, made the install pretty easy..Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I just got my pump set up, it activates at 15 PSI via a Hobbs switch and 30 amp relay, the hobbs switch is under the hood and the relay is right off the battery with as short as possible 12 gauge wire to the pump. This is the correct way to do it, but I know Steve hates it, but I ran two 450's both wired into the factory harness for over 3000 miles and never blew a single fuse, so it is possible, but not the ideal set up. The way steve has it set up is perfect. I got lucky because I had a return style system set up on here a while back, and I had the foresight to leave my relay and all wiring in trunk, made the install pretty easy..Click here to enlarge
    So maybe the 2 pump setup doesn't have to work so high pwm levels to reach the 72psi target, otherwise with stock wiring the 20amp fuse would be way too small.

+After thinking a while the Steves relay control is actually fine, cause the pwm controlled pump will ease up after the twins has reached the target.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

@-335i- I can totally appreciate where you're coming from.

Honestly though...we're looking at a new harness no matter what and in this case...I went the route of KISS Click here to enlarge

Anything I can do to keep it as stock as possible, clean, robust, and keep the DME happy while meeting our needs....that is the direction I go.

The secondary harness is clean, pretty easy to install (especially on the 1 series) and supplies sufficient power to the secondary. This also gives the user additional flexibility as they can control it a variety of ways and both pumps aren't running continuously and generating heat.

IMO...trying to run two 450's off the stock harness would be like pulling the stock amplifier and installing a 1000 watt amplifier. Can you do it...yes, should you...no...and if you do, you better not turn it up very much and you're probably not going to get the performance you were looking for. In this case I won't tell you that you can't do it....but I won't be offering that option and if you choose to go that route you're on your own. Click here to enlarge
    Last edited by SteveAZ; 09-03-2014 at 01:25 AM.
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Good stuff Steve! With all this stuff coming out, my car car is bound to sell soon! haha
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    72 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    Good stuff Steve! With all this stuff coming out, my car car is bound to sell soon! haha
    I kind of have mixed feelings about that. Click here to enlarge Hate to see ya go but GLWS! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Thanks man. Would only be a matter of time till I get something else.
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12