Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 101 to 120 of 120
  1. #101
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I haven't seen any 2+ fail due to tq either. Their clutches seem to be holding up quite well.
    Maybe not from TQ, but literally one launch slipping the clutch, and bye bye. Welded to the flywheel. Do a google search on spec stage 3 fused to flywheel. This is not an isolated event. Very well known for doing so. This is why I am going twin disc. I plan on doing a lot of launching in the next 6 months. Worrying about fusing my clutch is not something I want to worry about

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    3,312
    Rep Points
    1,439.6
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I am curious why people think Spec needed PTF to help design a clutch. They seemed to do just fine with their other models.

    I can't believe they would make it exclusive either. It means the product they designed and manufactured they sell to a single distributor who gets to make margin off a product they didn't design or manufacture? Why give someone 20% margin when you can sell it direct and make 10% more...
    from reading other forums, it doesn't exactly look like they have done spectacularly on other models?

    N54 is one of the only i can find WITHOUT tons of complaints.
    boop

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Posts
    2,540
    Rep Points
    1,746.0
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    18


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Gllad to see someone gets it as I did not feel like explaining why exclusive deals are done most of the time, but yes its becase the manufacture may not want to pny up the initial investment, so the company that is looking to have the product made, covers some of the cost in exchange for exclusive rights to sell the product, these rights usually last a pre-determined amount of time, then the manufacture regains the right to sell
    You said just above they had it out a year ago for sale and it is not new news. So...why would it now be a PTF exclusive is what I am getting at...

    Either way then can make one simple post to clear this up.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

    Got Boost?

    Click here to enlarge

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    1,218
    Rep Points
    2,201.9
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    23


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    from reading other forums, it doesn't exactly look like they have done spectacularly on other models?

    N54 is one of the only i can find WITHOUT tons of complaints.
    Agreed! I have many fiends who've had them fail in under 2k miles or not work at all on other platforms. For whatever reason, they just work well on some platforms (design, QC, who knows?). The N54 seems to be one of those.

    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Maybe not from TQ, but literally one launch slipping the clutch, and bye bye. Welded to the flywheel. Do a google search on spec stage 3 fused to flywheel. This is not an isolated event. Very well known for doing so. This is why I am going twin disc. I plan on doing a lot of launching in the next 6 months. Worrying about fusing my clutch is not something I want to worry about
    Is this an issue with the 2+ though? Stage 3 has a different compound IIRC. http://www.specclutch.com/products
    Change is constant

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Is this an issue with the 2+ though? Stage 3 has a different compound IIRC. http://www.specclutch.com/products
    No Idea, all I know is one episode of decent slipping and it was done. Like I said Google it, they are known for it, not sure how many stages it affects.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    884
    Rep Points
    1,435.3
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    15


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    No Idea, all I know is one episode of decent slipping and it was done. Like I said Google it, they are known for it, not sure how many stages it affects.
    So is the spec/ptf twin disk ready for sale and on its way to you? I'm curious to hear how you like it compared to the 3+.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    So is the spec/ptf twin disk ready for sale and on its way to you? I'm curious to hear how you like it compared to the 3+.
    Not sure if its available yet. I got this one directly from one of the owners of PTF. I will def let everyone know how it is when I get, I can only assume its going to be awesome.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,098
    Rep Points
    2,488.2
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    25


    Yes Reputation No
    I for one am glad they "partnered" or whatever they did with PTF for this twin. The driveability on the Evo X Spec P-Trim Twin (900lb-ft) was absolutely horrible, and the hydraulic TOB had a ton of leaking issues. I'm sure PTF was able to help them smooth this out with the correct combo of pressure plate clamp force, friction disc material selection, etc. PTF says the driveability is great, so we'll see, but I'm excited for it.

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Twin disc is here. As always big thanks to Dzenno for getting me sorted quickly. Will get it on, broken in and back to the track to take his 1/4 MT record from him...Click here to enlarge Dude is the nicest guy in the N54, never any qualms in helping us push things even it means breaking his own personal records, but I mean since he is tuning, they are still his as well...Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    218
    Rep Points
    305.3
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    4


    Yes Reputation No
    I definitely look forward to a full review since I need something and it sounds like the 3+ isn't for me.

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    258
    Rep Points
    256.3
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    3


    Yes Reputation No
    Maybe a low 11 second pass when the clutch gets put in?
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

    Click here to enlarge

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    Maybe a low 11 second pass when the clutch gets put in?
    I'll be extremely surprised if you we cant get it down to ay least 11.3, I took a lot of time to analyze the AEM log from the 11.6 run. Need to adjust the launch RPM, make sure I use NLS, and adjust my shift points, that should net me at least 2-3 tenths right there as I made a LOT of mistakes that run, not to mention it was 85 degrees out. I guess we will see.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Houston under a book
    Posts
    1,404
    Rep Points
    2,677.5
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    I'll be extremely surprised if you we cant get it down to ay least 11.3, I took a lot of time to analyze the AEM log from the 11.6 run. Need to adjust the launch RPM, make sure I use NLS, and adjust my shift points, that should net me at least 2-3 tenths right there as I made a LOT of mistakes that run, not to mention it was 85 degrees out. I guess we will see.
    6mt 1/4 mile club is a thing a beauty. And also a thing of headache, but completely worth the struggle. Are you driving the car yourself I presume? If so props for not pimping it out to someone else.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    6,684
    Rep Points
    3,343.8
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    34


    Yes Reputation No
    Slip that thing hard! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    6mt 1/4 mile club is a thing a beauty. And also a thing of headache, but completely worth the struggle. Are you driving the car yourself I presume? If so props for not pimping it out to someone else.
    Sorry I never saw this, yes I am driving the car, dzenno is on what's app giving me pep talks, and tips after each run..Click here to enlarge I'll slip it just for you D!

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    1,962
    Rep Points
    2,657.4
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    27


    1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    tony slips for D
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    Think I might have found the problem with the clutch.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    6500ft ASL
    Posts
    1,088
    Rep Points
    2,154.6
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    22


    Yes Reputation No
    Nah - that'll buff right out. Click here to enlarge

    -Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Hayward, CA
    Posts
    7,921
    Rep Points
    3,973.5
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0



    Yes Reputation No
    It only took a pry bar and sledge hammer to get it separated from the flywheel. No big deal

  20. #120
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    37
    Rep Points
    26.0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Rep Power
    0


    Yes Reputation No
    Perfect example of what I was talking about earlier... Notice how much of the clutch disc friction material is actually being used between the Flywheel and the Pressure Plate!??? You can even still see that the disc material is untouched (golden) area below the rivets towards the center of the disc. Seems like most of the surface area is not being used for some reason.


    Tony, how many miles was this on the car for? What power level was it holding..when it was holding...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •