Close

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    I haven't seen any 2+ fail due to tq either. Their clutches seem to be holding up quite well.
    Maybe not from TQ, but literally one launch slipping the clutch, and bye bye. Welded to the flywheel. Do a google search on spec stage 3 fused to flywheel. This is not an isolated event. Very well known for doing so. This is why I am going twin disc. I plan on doing a lot of launching in the next 6 months. Worrying about fusing my clutch is not something I want to worry about

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Torgus Click here to enlarge
    I am curious why people think Spec needed PTF to help design a clutch. They seemed to do just fine with their other models.

I can't believe they would make it exclusive either. It means the product they designed and manufactured they sell to a single distributor who gets to make margin off a product they didn't design or manufacture? Why give someone 20% margin when you can sell it direct and make 10% more...
    from reading other forums, it doesn't exactly look like they have done spectacularly on other models?

N54 is one of the only i can find WITHOUT tons of complaints.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Gllad to see someone gets it as I did not feel like explaining why exclusive deals are done most of the time, but yes its becase the manufacture may not want to pny up the initial investment, so the company that is looking to have the product made, covers some of the cost in exchange for exclusive rights to sell the product, these rights usually last a pre-determined amount of time, then the manufacture regains the right to sell
    You said just above they had it out a year ago for sale and it is not new news. So...why would it now be a PTF exclusive is what I am getting at...

Either way then can make one simple post to clear this up.
    E92 Bren Tune / E90 PTF Tune / E70 Twin Turbo Diesel JBD

Got Boost?

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    from reading other forums, it doesn't exactly look like they have done spectacularly on other models?

N54 is one of the only i can find WITHOUT tons of complaints.
    Agreed! I have many fiends who've had them fail in under 2k miles or not work at all on other platforms. For whatever reason, they just work well on some platforms (design, QC, who knows?). The N54 seems to be one of those.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Maybe not from TQ, but literally one launch slipping the clutch, and bye bye. Welded to the flywheel. Do a google search on spec stage 3 fused to flywheel. This is not an isolated event. Very well known for doing so. This is why I am going twin disc. I plan on doing a lot of launching in the next 6 months. Worrying about fusing my clutch is not something I want to worry about
    Is this an issue with the 2+ though? Stage 3 has a different compound IIRC. http://www.specclutch.com/products
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by The Ghost Click here to enlarge
    Is this an issue with the 2+ though? Stage 3 has a different compound IIRC. http://www.specclutch.com/products
    No Idea, all I know is one episode of decent slipping and it was done. Like I said Google it, they are known for it, not sure how many stages it affects.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No Idea, all I know is one episode of decent slipping and it was done. Like I said Google it, they are known for it, not sure how many stages it affects.
    So is the spec/ptf twin disk ready for sale and on its way to you? I'm curious to hear how you like it compared to the 3+.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by bmw335iguy Click here to enlarge
    So is the spec/ptf twin disk ready for sale and on its way to you? I'm curious to hear how you like it compared to the 3+.
    Not sure if its available yet. I got this one directly from one of the owners of PTF. I will def let everyone know how it is when I get, I can only assume its going to be awesome.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I for one am glad they "partnered" or whatever they did with PTF for this twin. The driveability on the Evo X Spec P-Trim Twin (900lb-ft) was absolutely horrible, and the hydraulic TOB had a ton of leaking issues. I'm sure PTF was able to help them smooth this out with the correct combo of pressure plate clamp force, friction disc material selection, etc. PTF says the driveability is great, so we'll see, but I'm excited for it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Twin disc is here. As always big thanks to Dzenno for getting me sorted quickly. Will get it on, broken in and back to the track to take his 1/4 MT record from him...Click here to enlarge Dude is the nicest guy in the N54, never any qualms in helping us push things even it means breaking his own personal records, but I mean since he is tuning, they are still his as well...Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I definitely look forward to a full review since I need something and it sounds like the 3+ isn't for me.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Maybe a low 11 second pass when the clutch gets put in?
    Titanium Silver E92 09 BMW 335i xdrive 6AT
    KW V3 coilovers, AMS FMIC, AR Catless DP, Walbro 455 LPFP, BMS DCI, Alpina B3 Trans Flash, Vargas HPFP and Rail
    Protuned via Cobb by JR TUNED @ PandL Motorsports
    75%E85/25%93 blend 430awhp/470lbs tq on AWD Dynojet
    Dyno Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE6Ed...ature=youtu.be

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by DQE92 Click here to enlarge
    Maybe a low 11 second pass when the clutch gets put in?
    I'll be extremely surprised if you we cant get it down to ay least 11.3, I took a lot of time to analyze the AEM log from the 11.6 run. Need to adjust the launch RPM, make sure I use NLS, and adjust my shift points, that should net me at least 2-3 tenths right there as I made a LOT of mistakes that run, not to mention it was 85 degrees out. I guess we will see.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I'll be extremely surprised if you we cant get it down to ay least 11.3, I took a lot of time to analyze the AEM log from the 11.6 run. Need to adjust the launch RPM, make sure I use NLS, and adjust my shift points, that should net me at least 2-3 tenths right there as I made a LOT of mistakes that run, not to mention it was 85 degrees out. I guess we will see.
    6mt 1/4 mile club is a thing a beauty. And also a thing of headache, but completely worth the struggle. Are you driving the car yourself I presume? If so props for not pimping it out to someone else.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    226 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Slip that thing hard! Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by V8Bait Click here to enlarge
    6mt 1/4 mile club is a thing a beauty. And also a thing of headache, but completely worth the struggle. Are you driving the car yourself I presume? If so props for not pimping it out to someone else.
    Sorry I never saw this, yes I am driving the car, dzenno is on what's app giving me pep talks, and tips after each run..Click here to enlarge I'll slip it just for you D!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    tony slips for D
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Think I might have found the problem with the clutch.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Nah - that'll buff right out. Click here to enlarge

-Rich
    2010 E90 LCI 335i Black Sapphire (his)
    COBB/PTF proTUNE/Alpina/BMS Drop-in/PSS/Blizzak
    2016 Acura MDX SH-AWD Graphite Luster Metallic (hers)
    1969 Opel Gt Strato Blue (storage)

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    It only took a pry bar and sledge hammer to get it separated from the flywheel. No big deal

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Perfect example of what I was talking about earlier... Notice how much of the clutch disc friction material is actually being used between the Flywheel and the Pressure Plate!??? You can even still see that the disc material is untouched (golden) area below the rivets towards the center of the disc. Seems like most of the surface area is not being used for some reason.

Tony, how many miles was this on the car for? What power level was it holding..when it was holding...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345