Close

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by -335i- Click here to enlarge
    Ok, I had a time to make a quick visit to my garage; the level sensor seems to be just a potentiometer, not a hall sensor.

Fault codes:

2FCA
    Kraftstoffhochdruck bei Freigabe der Einspritzung
    error type 1: Druck zu niedrig

2FDA
    Kraftstoffhochdruck bei oder nach Freigabe der Einspritzung (2. Umweltbedingungssatz nach Zeitverzögerung)
    error type 1: Druck zu niedrig

For what I know, those codes are from LPFP not priming properly on start up.

The level sensor is just a potentiometer operated by floater. On E20 - E25 mix the ethanol content is quite low. I really don't think that is the problem.

The connectors and wires are different but they still could be coming from the same control unit (haven't got time to check it yet).

OP: You have tested the sensor manually and the fuel gauge was working correctly, are you sure there's nothing blocking the movement of the floater in the tank?
    From what I have read the 2FCA and 2FDA are common and supposedly not a big deal. The other 2A22 a friend of mine had after we installed his Walbro inline and it never returned.

As far as I know there is nothing impeding the float arm. With the Stage 2 kit there is no external pump so the there is nothing to get in the way of it. The return lines and fuel line plumed on the other side so they can't get in the way either. The way the top hat fits into the bucket is that it is spring loaded and pushes the bucket down to the bottom of the tank keeping it from moving. I can't visually confirm that the float is sitting right in the tank because as soon as you release the top hat the bottom part of the bucket moves.

I have been trying to figure out where the connector wires go when they exit the top of the tank. I know the pump connector goes to the EKP unit which is mounted behind the upper part of the passenger seat/wheel well area. The sensor side wires go straight towards the side panel and from there I don't know where they go. I looked on RealOEM.com but it didn't show where they go to. If someone has a Bentley manual maybe they can look and see.

While mentioning the EKP, I did have a recurrent code related to this many months ago after the dealer flashed me to ILA0S. I would get a 2F30, Electronic fuel pump, EKP code. This would occur at WOT and would cause an engine malfunction error on the iDrive. There was no associated limp mode and numerous logs during this code never showed any fuel pressure issue neither on the high nor low side. I asked numerous people on the forums and basically what I was told is that it is a code that pops up but no one knew what to do about it. Since I was comfortable the LPFP was operating fine I found the code in my bin file via hex editor and disabled it. It hasn't popped up since I did this. Not even sure if it has anything to do with my issue. It seems like if the EKP was in trouble the LPFP wouldn't operate right.

There is a picture and some info on the EKP in this thread
    http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=512759
    E92 335is DCT

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Old thread of mine but I felt it was worth updating. I recently took the Stage 2 out because I was going to take the car in for service and see if the dealer could figure out this gauge problem. In doing so I was able to finally see the problem. I very slowly let the bucket hat lift up and what I saw was my 45 degree fuel line bundy that goes into the pump was actually hitting the top of the float sensor keeping it from moving all the way up! I talked to Steve and we could see that my Stage 2 pump had developed a big tilt too it as well when it sat in the bucket. I think this may have been from pulling on it during an install or even using a different fuel line bundy than the stock 90. Steve shipped me out a new Stage 2 kit which has been improved and after I installed it, problem appears to be fixed! I am glad it was just a mechanical issue probably exacerbated by some left over hardware from my previous DIY inline install. Throughout this the Stage 2 kit has performed flawless in regards to pressure. Even up to E74 it didn't miss a beat. Steve was always trying to help me along the way and his customer service is second to none!

If anyone is having a fuel gauge issue after installing a kit, just make sure you have enough clearance where the bundy sits on the pump and the top of float sensor swivel as it moves upwards. It can be hard to see in the tank because as soon as you let the hat up, the bucket can shift in the tank.

I'm just happy to have a working gas gauge again Click here to enlarge Thanks again Steve!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    E92 335is DCT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12