Close

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    No one who buys a turbo kit will mind buying a JB4. Most will have it already. It's really easy to implement too. With the oem tmap you can go up to 21psi, and 36psi with the n20 sensor.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Were on OEM Tmap running over 30 psi, no issues. With race logic you can do a LOT on flash only. But honestly with the ability to log 1-6 now, there is really very few reasons not to run a JB or EBC for boost control if you do not have the ability to run race logic or want to run a protune.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    You are exceeding your tmap sensor and just duty cycle tuning. I get why but it's not like I'd suggest that for any real customer...

On the single turbo stuff someone told me they just suggest customers buy an aem piggyback for higher boost levels. Which is not going to work as well as a JB4. To each their own but when OP is tired of screwing around with a setup that isn't going to work it won't take more than 20 min or so to have real control. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    You are exceeding your tmap sensor and just duty cycle tuning. I get why but it's not like I'd suggest that for any real customer...

On the single turbo stuff someone told me they just suggest customers buy an aem piggyback for higher boost levels. Which is not going to work as well as a JB4. To each their own but when OP is tired of screwing around with a setup that isn't going to work it won't take more than 20 min or so to have real control. Click here to enlarge
    I have not exceeding the stock tmap.

I agree it would be easy to just buy a jb4 and I'm not against it. I just dont want to jump right to that. I dont want to ask the guys buying a st kit that an additional $500 is needed to run 2 more psi. The guys that want the 3.5map and big power will get the "pay to play" speech and will be recommended whatever it takes to get the job done.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Were on OEM Tmap running over 30 psi, no issues.
    You're running 30+psi on a map that only reads to 21psi?! Why?!? How do you tune cells that dont exist?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    That was directed to Tony. Honestly the Cobb only approach is not going to work right because I don't think the pro software can target more than 17psi at redline.

On my cell phone but you could just change the tmap scaling so it reads too low to fool a higher boost target but it's ugly and not worth it IMHO. Besides a JB4 and the free flash software is cheaper than a Cobb to start with. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andy_divers Click here to enlarge
    You're running 30+psi on a map that only reads to 21psi?! Why?!? How do you tune cells that dont exist?
    The Cobb can only read 21.5 psi with any bar map sensor, period. They have never lifted the limit, as I stated we are not tuners, we make hardware, and leave the tuning to the people who do it for a living. They understand the limits that are still in place and work around them. I honestly cannot answer your question, and nor do we really care to dabble into it. Our hands our full with expanding our hardware line up. When we get something finished we put it on either our shop car if its N54, or outside tesr cars for other platforms, and let the tuners peform their magic. So far this has produced record setting results almost every time.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS Any plans to make a n54 ebc?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    That was directed to Tony. Honestly the Cobb only approach is not going to work right because I don't think the pro software can target more than 17psi at redline.
    Thats about where I'm at. Boost request is 32.4psia from 4k-7200rpm.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Terry@BMS Any plans to make a n54 ebc?
    The JB4 can do as much or as little as you want. If you just want it to target boost it can do that no problem. It will clamp dme boost at its target to prevent throttle closure unless actual boost goes goes over the actual target.

Details are in the jb4 single turbo thread on n54tech.
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

2 out of 3 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    The AEM works beautifully to control boost. It also does NLS, boost per gear, 2-step and a fail safe with ZERO CANBUS interference and that's a beautiful thing Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    The AEM works beautifully to control boost. It also does NLS, boost per gear, 2-step and a fail safe with ZERO CANBUS interference and that's a beautiful thing Click here to enlarge
    AEM what? Truboost, FIC, or EMS?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    644 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by rader1 Click here to enlarge
    No CANbus? Ick. How will it know the DME boost target to properly manage throttle with regard to boost vs. target? How can it read knock, afr, etc, to do a proper failsafe? Without CANbus I don't even know how it would know what gear you're in for gear dependent boost control? No PNP harness? Using two separate systems for datalogs that you can't instantly view? It sounds just awful to me. If you don't want to use a JB4 out of spite at least use a procede. You need something designed and programmed for the N54 specifically. But as I said above to each their own. Click here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    This is an interesting debate. I'm kinda surprised that it's pretty much one solution or the other. Especially with these high hp kits. Do the other big stand alone ECU guys not have anything for the N54?
    I ask because there are features like launch control (from a stop and from a roll) would REALLY help take advantage of the late spool of a ST.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    nothing other than the DME can control the injectors
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by 2Times Click here to enlarge
    This is an interesting debate. I'm kinda surprised that it's pretty much one solution or the other. Especially with these high hp kits. Do the other big stand alone ECU guys not have anything for the N54?
    I ask because there are features like launch control (from a stop and from a roll) would REALLY help take advantage of the late spool of a ST.
    Standalone is on the way Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Sweet! Other than better control of the obvious, will that open control over new areas not possible today?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Standalone is on the way Click here to enlarge
    I highly doubt that. They have been saying this for about 3years and we have yet to see any standalone capable of driving the bosch peizo electric direct injection. The DME is a pretty advanced piece of hardware to replace. Most diesels are in the same boat. Which is why they continue to use OEM ECU's

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    99% sure he means they ordered a stand alone to control boost etc. Not that an N54 standalone is on the way.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    179 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ingeniator Click here to enlarge
    I highly doubt that. They have been saying this for about 3years and we have yet to see any standalone capable of driving the bosch peizo electric direct injection. The DME is a pretty advanced piece of hardware to replace. Most diesels are in the same boat. Which is why they continue to use OEM ECU's
    X1000
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Pretty sure no one here is saying a standalone is coming, before this turns into another standalone eta debate.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2112 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    nothing other than the DME can control the injectors
    There are standalones that can do it. They just are big money.

Stage 2 or 2.5 E9X M3 S65 V8 supercharger kit for sale
    : http://www.boostaddict.com/showthrea...r-kit-for-sale

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sticky Click here to enlarge
    If you are referring to Motec, from what I have heard from people who have purchased for big bucks, and tried it, it was not a working solution.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    If you are referring to Motec, from what I have heard from people who have purchased for big bucks, and tried it, it was not a working solution.
    He may be talking about Bosch Motorsport ECU's. Personally I have a hard time justifying the upgrade considering rather than unlocking the functionality by reverse engineering the current tables we would need to program custom firmware. It is not worth the effort let alone the money in my opinion.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/media...Units_2014.pdf

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    I can't find anything on a bosch one able to control anything other than bosch's own piezo injectors. (even the PDF linked above says programmed for bosch piezo injectors, which i'd assume are fairly different), and even motec is apparently still slowly working on it.

there's nothing that's 100% proven to control the N54's injectors specifically, is all.

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Ingeniator Click here to enlarge
    He may be talking about Bosch Motorsport ECU's. Personally I have a hard time justifying the upgrade considering rather than unlocking the functionality by reverse engineering the current tables we would need to program custom firmware. It is not worth the effort let alone the money in my opinion.

http://www.bosch-motorsport.de/media...Units_2014.pdf
    yeah i wouldn't like to imagine the price tag on something plug n play capable for us any more.

ED: N54 doesn't use bosch piezo injectors, it uses continental i thought.

http://www.conti-online.com/www/down...cts_pdf_en.pdf

page 24, looks awfully identical to the N54 one?

and siemens VDO owns continental, and have done since 2006 or 2007.
    Last edited by Flinchy; 08-17-2014 at 05:08 PM.
    boop

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast