Close

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    I guess the best way to find out which direction the Heat is traveling would be if you throw a couple thermocouples in your engine bay around the area between your turbo, manifold and engine and go flog the thing for a bit and compare the temps you see at the thermocouples to the temps you see on the oil temp gauge. Would be interesting data. Also, I wonder if some of the increase in oil temp couldn't have come from the oil cooler lines being pretty close to where the front mount sits. That radiant heat could certainly put a damper on the effectiveness of the oil cooler.
    Doubt it would happen, that would require mounting actual non factory sensors on the motor, and buying powerful data logging software to analyze what you find. I mean, we have what 5-6 single kits on the market now? Has a single company making these kits even done something as simple as install an EGT thermocouple, so they can monitor one of the most critical elements of a turbocharged motor? If there is any data please point me to it, because so far all we have seen is people building kits, and installing them with no real data collected besides what a JB4 or Cobb AP can log.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Doubt it would happen, that would require mounting actual non factory sensors on the motor, and buying powerful data logging software to analyze what you find. I mean, we have what 5-6 single kits on the market now? Has a single company making these kits even done something as simple as install an EGT thermocouple, so they can monitor one of the most critical elements of a turbocharged motor? If there is any data please point me to it, because so far all we have seen is people building kits, and installing them with no real data collected besides what a JB4 or Cobb AP can log.
    Type K thermocouple wire is cheap as snot and perfect for the temp range in question, and we use dataloggers here at work for thermocouple monitoring that are at or under $1k. So, not really that expensive, especially when you think about what all you could do with it. The user sets the values for the measured voltages. So, you could use it for all sorts of things.

As for companies that have real data...I can't say for sure, but if I had to bet on anyone, it would be PTF. You're well acquainted with Jake and those guys, do you know if they logged any data outside of the AP or AEM units?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mycoupe Click here to enlarge
    Type K thermocouple wire is cheap as snot and perfect for the temp range in question, and we use dataloggers here at work for thermocouple monitoring that are at or under $1k. So, not really that expensive, especially when you think about what all you could do with it. The user sets the values for the measured voltages. So, you could use it for all sorts of things.

As for companies that have real data...I can't say for sure, but if I had to bet on anyone, it would be PTF. You're well acquainted with Jake and those guys, do you know if they logged any data outside of the AP or AEM units?
    I think you missed my sarcasm. I know exactly what Type K thermocouples cost, we have two of them on our shop car, one to monitor EGT for the logger, and one for a dash mounted gauge, AQ-1 software is literally another $350 bucks. This is why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me why none of the single turbo manufactures has done any actual data mining besides what the factory DME is picking up. I am not sure what PTF has gathered, never asked, but if anyone has, I agree it would be them.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Had a chance to take the kit to the dyno on Saturday. Mechanically the kit performed great, but tuning was a different story. We were unable to control boost and instead of continuing I decided to pull it off the rollers and come back once the boost control is figured out. We did make about 4 full pulls. Run .005 was the first pull and was basically a cobbstage2 sport map with the target load brought up in the upper rpms. Results were 454hp at16psi. Run 006 was an richer target afr (11.5) and high target load. Results were 449hp at 15-16psi. Full boost (16psi) by 3700rpm and obviously the increase is target load had no effect on the gate. Next couple runs were just playing with target load and vacuum line configuration in attempt to get some boost control, but no luck. Stage 1 kit with 6262 t4 undivided, stock exhaust, and ADE 900hp intercooler. Once the boost control is in check we'll go back on the rollers and I feel pretty confident we can reach our 500whp pump gas goal.

I will post pictures of run 005 & 006. Once sticky makes me a member.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

pics of the ADE 900hp intercooler?

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andy_divers Click here to enlarge
    Had a chance to take the kit to the dyno on Saturday. Mechanically the kit performed great, but tuning was a different story. We were unable to control boost and instead of continuing I decided to pull it off the rollers and come back once the boost control is figured out. We did make about 4 full pulls. Run .005 was the first pull and was basically a cobbstage2 sport map with the target load brought up in the upper rpms. Results were 454hp at16psi. Run 006 was an richer target afr (11.5) and high target load. Results were 449hp at 15-16psi. Full boost (16psi) by 3700rpm and obviously the increase is target load had no effect on the gate. Next couple runs were just playing with target load and vacuum line configuration in attempt to get some boost control, but no luck. Stage 1 kit with 6262 t4 undivided, stock exhaust, and ADE 900hp intercooler. Once the boost control is in check we'll go back on the rollers and I feel pretty confident we can reach our 500whp pump gas goal.

I will post pictures of run 005 & 006. Once sticky makes me a member.

grab a bt cable and email @Terry@BMS or hit up Dzenno
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Click here to enlarge Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

tried to post pics of the intercooler but my phone is having a fit

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

AD Engineering 900hp intercooler
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Will this kit be available with a 67 or bigger? Or are you restricted by physical size to the 64.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

a 67 is going on a car in 2 weeks that will also have his fuel kit on it.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    147 Post(s)

You should be able to make way more than just 500whp on 93oct w/ a 6262. It was a popular turbo in the evo x crowd, and tubular manifold setups regularly made 600whp on 93oct

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by jyamona Click here to enlarge
    You should be able to make way more than just 500whp on 93oct w/ a 6262. It was a popular turbo in the evo x crowd, and tubular manifold setups regularly made 600whp on 93oct
    Agree, we made 573 on 91 with out Stage 3 maxing out the HPFP, once you get rid of the restrictive stock turbos you can make a lot more power on pump gas. 500WHP should be nothing

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Agree, we made 573 on 91 with out Stage 3 maxing out the HPFP, once you get rid of the restrictive stock turbos you can make a lot more power on pump gas. 500WHP should be nothing
    I'd have a 500hp dyno sheet if I were on a dynojetClick here to enlarge I love dyno dynamic, but she's a heart breaker for e-racer comparison. This car will make its way to the track and when it does we can all compare mph

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I'd have a 500hp dyno sheet if I were on a dynojetClick here to enlarge I love dyno dynamic, but she's a heart breaker for e-racer comparison. This car will make its way to the track and when it does we can all compare mph
    Don't really get it when people call dyno sheets E-racing. In reality dyno's really don't mean anything but as far as the buying public is concerned, that's what 95% of potential customers care about when buying a power enhancement product. Almost always the first question, how much HP does it make, bugs me to no end, but its the reality when you deal in performance products. Looking forward to your track times, what part of the country are you in, if west coast we should all do a private day at a semi local track

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

1 out of 2 members liked this post. Reputation: Yes | No
    Don't really get it when people call dyno sheets E-racing. In reality dyno's really don't mean anything but as far as the buying public is concerned, that's what 95% of potential customers care about when buying a power enhancement product. Almost always the first question, how much HP does it make, bugs me to no end, but its the reality when you deal in performance products. Looking forward to your track times, what part of the country are you in, if west coast we should all do a private day at a semi local track
    we are in south east Washington state Tony and setting up a track day would be a great. Idea just need to find a good track and meet in the middle. there is one 4 1/2 hours south west of us that is a very good track and we have had track rental days here before very good track to deal with. not sure how close this is to you? The track is in Woodburn Oregon

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

put the car back on the dyno today to get a little more boost out of it. still have some cleaning up to do on the tune but its really coming around
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

That's definitely looking good...

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    2062 Post(s)

I dont know who started this thread, but thank you. I have been working on this kit for a long time and am very happy how it turned out. Its only fair that I not post any pricing or purchasing details until I become a vendor. That will happen when the first run of kits are on the shelf and ready to ship. I would however like to post pictures of progress and dynos of the kit in the mean time if @Sticky will allow it. Thanks to all for the kind words about the kit and I look forward to being a part of the N54 progression.
    I'd like to welcome @andy_divers as our newest vendor.

Good luck! This section is becoming VERY competitive.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cloakedm3 Click here to enlarge
    put the car back on the dyno today to get a little more boost out of it. still have some cleaning up to do on the tune but its really coming around
    http://www.bimmerboost.com/images/im...316f6e33-1.jpg
    A few details about this graph...
    I put the car back on the dyno just to play with boost control. The car is on cobb with the stock boost solenoids and a 11psi wg spring. It was a bit challenging to get all the wgdc tables to get this boost with the stock solenoids, but I'm making progress. I have yet to touch any of the timing or cam tables yet. I think my final timing is 6-7* :p Hopefully with timing and cam timing I can squeeze alittle more out of her by just keeping the torque from rolling over so hard. I can't "request" any more boost. Dme is calling for 32.Xpsia and my boosr error is .16-.45psi. If anyone know any tricks in cobb to see a higher boost request or boost set limit than 33psia on a stock MAP let me know. Otherwise, any additional horsepower this car makes will only come from timing and cam angle.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)

I put the car back on the dyno just to play with boost control. The car is on cobb with the stock boost solenoids and a 11psi wg spring. It was a bit challenging to get all the wgdc tables to get this boost with the stock solenoids, but I'm making progress. I have yet to touch any of the timing or cam tables yet. I think my final timing is 6-7* :p Hopefully with timing and cam timing I can squeeze alittle more out of her by just keeping the torque from rolling over so hard. I can't "request" any more boost. Dme is calling for 32.Xpsia and my boosr error is .16-.45psi. If anyone know any tricks in cobb to see a higher boost request or boost set limit than 33psia on a stock MAP let me know. Otherwise, any additional horsepower this car makes will only come from timing and cam angle.
    Why not work with Terry and use a JB4 to take over boost control. It'll be much more simple.
    Change is constant

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

I respect you are wanting to do things yourself without a piggy. If you are running boost through the stock solenoids instead of vacuum, we did this as well as a test, it worked ok, but we found issues. What is happening is most likely the same thing that happened to us. The solenoid cannot bleed off enough of the boost its seeing, so its sending it to the gate even when you are telling it to bypass. Easiest way to help this is put a restrictor pill in the boost reference line coming from your boost source to the solenoid, a good thing to use is weber Carb jets, we have an assortment and you can choose your orifice in small increasing or decreasing increments until you find a sweet spot, this will help you not overwhelm the solenoid and should allow more boost as well as good control. But honestly the stock solenoids do not work well for boost control. There are other ways to do it without running a piggy as well. But try the pill first

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    64 Post(s)

I respect you are wanting to do things yourself without a piggy. If you are running boost through the stock solenoids instead of vacuum, we did this as well as a test, it worked ok, but we found issues. What is happening is most likely the same thing that happened to us. The solenoid cannot bleed off enough of the boost its seeing, so its sending it to the gate even when you are telling it to bypass. Easiest way to help this is put a restrictor pill in the boost reference line coming from your boost source to the solenoid, a good thing to use is weber Carb jets, we have an assortment and you can choose your orifice in small increasing or decreasing increments until you find a sweet spot, this will help you not overwhelm the solenoid and should allow more boost as well as good control. But honestly the stock solenoids do not work well for boost control. There are other ways to do it without running a piggy as well. But try the pill first
    Yeah. WG port at 0% wont block the source off completely. I was thinking of hooking the vent port to the top port of the wg. I have also ordered a 3port solenoid that is rated up to 360hz so I'll try that when it gets here. Its all a mute issue right now because I'm making the boost that the dme is requesting. The dont need a solenoid solution until I can find a way to request more boost and raise the boost set limit. Im trying to do this with the stock MAP right now which may be the problem. The reason I haven't gone jb4 for boost and 3.5bar map is for customer purposes. I want to offer a customer a kit the doesnt need a bunch of extras if they are just planing to street drive the car on pump.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Well we are running 30+ psi on flash only with stockk solenoids and stock 2.5 bar map. So its something you are missing as far as tables. We are not tuners so we cannot help with what you need to do, but requesting much more boost is possible with the set up you are running. Using the same set up, we ran up to 40 psi on stage 3.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    320 Post(s)

Actually now that I think about it, unless you are running race logic, you will be stuck at those levels.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast