Close

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sered Click here to enlarge
    Did the O2 sensor burnout problem ever get solved? I know spacers were being tried, but did they fix the issue?
    also curious about this one!

it was such a huge problem at first seemingly.. but since then, little to no noise on the subject?

people were spacing it out for a while, now.. seems fine just banging them in right in front of the port??
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)

0 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Sigma 3 Click here to enlarge
    Not so much fighting leaks as doing maintenance. The engine has 100k on it so some gaskets and things needed to be changed. The jigs and Andy's no compromise attention to detail are driving the pace of this kit
    Plus Flinchy telling him how to turn it into a twin scroll on facebook Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Nugs Click here to enlarge
    Plus Flinchy telling him how to turn it into a twin scroll on facebook Click here to enlarge
    not quite..

i just don't follow the illogic of making a single scroll manifold, when a twin scroll version would be relative childs play given the design, and be.. well.. better?

arguing with someone saying a single scroll will outspool AND out power a twin scroll on an equivalently high quality manifold with good tuning in a physics defying feat just boggles my mind.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    Are we really going to get into clone talk? There are a lot of N54 products that look eerily similar....Click here to enlarge
    I'm not sure what you're talking about, the Proven Power manifold is different, and the fabricator had not even heard of FFtec before when he did mine, let alone Ak335i.

If that's not your reference, then my bad, and no, obviously lots of products are replicated, there is really only so many ways to do something. Honestly surprised no one else has come out with a twin turbo kit yet. Too much money for two turbos maybe?
    2009 335i coupe back to stock...for now

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Flinchy Click here to enlarge
    not quite..

i just don't follow the illogic of making a single scroll manifold, when a twin scroll version would be relative childs play given the design, and be.. well.. better?

arguing with someone saying a single scroll will outspool AND out power a twin scroll on an equivalently high quality manifold with good tuning in a physics defying feat just boggles my mind.
    lol, so lets compare PTF spool on a larger single scroll turbo to Terry's top mount smaller turbo twin scroll. Let's face it, if you want spool you're going to sacrifice some top end, and vice versa, it's just a matter of personal preference and finding what's best for you.

From what I've seen though, the PTF kit is already spooling as fast or quicker than the FFtec top mount TS 5862, and that's with an HTA3586r turbo, which is capable of significantly more power.

Twin scrolls take up more space and increase costs. I haven't seen any benefits yet, besides being able to install the actuator flap that only opens at higher throttle, essentially cutting he AR in half on demand.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

1 out of 1 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by mjmarovi Click here to enlarge
    lol, so lets compare PTF spool on a larger single scroll turbo to Terry's top mount smaller turbo twin scroll. Let's face it, if you want spool you're going to sacrifice some top end, and vice versa, it's just a matter of personal preference and finding what's best for you.

From what I've seen though, the PTF kit is already spooling as fast or quicker than the FFtec top mount TS 5862, and that's with an HTA3586r turbo, which is capable of significantly more power.

Twin scrolls take up more space and increase costs. I haven't seen any benefits yet, besides being able to install the actuator flap that only opens at higher throttle, essentially cutting he AR in half on demand.
    exactly

compare terry's top mount to fastGTI's.. Hence i'm adding the qualifier 'equally high quality twin scroll manifold'

imagine the PTF one with a twin scroll.. logic dictates spool will be improved even further. Can i confirm this with hard evidence? No.. but no one can confirm the single scroll is better than any way, either (other than a couple percent more peak power potential from the single scroll housing), so we have to go off other available evidence which indicates on all other platforms, engine configurations, manifold styles, that twin scroll is better overall (to the tune of 10-15% odd better midrange), all things equal.

benefits have been shown over many platforms and race teams re twin scroll vs single.. heck, even a full whitepaper from mazda (though magic dorito motors treat things somewhat differently), it's a moot point.

one of these single scroll manifolds with a QSV could be pretty interesting though.. that would be an interesting comparison.
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fastgti69 is using a much larger turbo than Terry, and a different kit, not even comparable. FFtec looks like to have less piping overall, which means quicker spool from the manifold, and Terry is using a 58mm turbo compared to a 64mm comp. What would be interesting is a single scroll 58mm turbo on the PTF kit and compare that to Terry's setup. Only a matter of time till we start seeing dynos and logs from a variety of turbos on a variety of different kits.

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Twin scrolls take up more space and increase costs.
    ??? Takes up more space? A properly built TS manifold takes no more space than a SS manifold does, the problem is the N54 is stuck in the pile of snakes manifold game right now, its good to see it may finally be ending. The manifold below takes up basically no space, and costs $295 dollars, anyone else want to argue twin scroll takes up more room and is expensive?
    Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    656 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Fastgti69 is using a much larger turbo than Terry, and a different kit, not even comparable. FFtec looks like to have less piping overall, which means quicker spool from the manifold, and Terry is using a 58mm turbo compared to a 64mm comp. What would be interesting is a single scroll 58mm turbo on the PTF kit and compare that to Terry's setup. Only a matter of time till we start seeing dynos and logs from a variety of turbos on a variety of different kits.
    Funny it should come up. I'm throwing the same comp 6465 turbo on our FFTEC 135i to make sure the 135i is quick enough to stay ahead of all these new single turbo cars coming out. I'm really hoping spool doesn't take too much of a hit. I have tons of data on the 5862 most of which I've shared so it will be a great new datapoint.

I also have lots of experience with a divided log style turbo twin scroll, aka the Vargas N55 Stage2 turbo, so those datapoints can also be compared.

IMHO cast divided log manifolds should be more durable for the long haul and should be easier to mass produce, while tubular manifolds should offer superior performance especially at higher RPM. But as with anything the devil is in the details.

This is a good starting point for reading about various manifold approaches: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/log_style_vs_equal_length_manifolds

Last edited by Terry@BMS; 08-06-2014 at 11:04 PM.
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, N63s, S55s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please see http://www.burgertuning.com/emissions_info.html for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by Terry@BMS Click here to enlarge
    Funny it should come up. I'm throwing the same comp 6465 turbo on our FFTEC 135i to make sure the 135i is quick enough to stay ahead of all these new single turbo cars coming out. I'm really hoping spool doesn't take too much of a hit. I have tons of data on the 5862 most of which I've shared so it will be a great new datapoint.

I also have lots of experience with a divided log style turbo twin scroll, aka the Vargas N55 Stage2 turbo, so those datapoints can also be compared.

This is a good starting point for reading about various manifold approaches: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...ngth_manifolds
    You never disappoint when it comes to data Terry. I'd have more data collected on mine by now if I wasn't so damn busy with work. Hopefully dyno this Saturday, and some decent street tuning tomorrow and Friday. Can't wait to see results of your 6465 on the the fftec 135i compared to the VM single turbo kit with the same turbo!

Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    From the clear looks of it, this new kit will fit RHD cars easily! Mates to the twin inlet pipes of the stock exhaust!Click here to enlarge

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    much larger with identical spool (well, close enough to) (unless i imagined seeing an overlay lol)

perfectly comparable.. in fact, it's an even better comparison considering the turbo is larger Click here to enlarge
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ST54 Click here to enlarge
    From the clear looks of it, this new kit will fit RHD cars easily! Mates to the twin inlet pipes of the stock exhaust!Click here to enlarge
    still has a good chance of hitting the steering rack - without looking, the wastegate pipe is the biggest worry with going back (ie closer to the bulk of the rack) and out (again, closer)

can't know until someone actually measures how much room is where though/tries to actually fit something in!
    boop

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2 out of 2 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

kit is installed in the car now here are a couple pics

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)

10 out of 10 members liked this post. Yes Reputation No
    I dont know who started this thread, but thank you. I have been working on this kit for a long time and am very happy how it turned out. Its only fair that I not post any pricing or purchasing details until I become a vendor. That will happen when the first run of kits are on the shelf and ready to ship. I would however like to post pictures of progress and dynos of the kit in the mean time if @Sticky will allow it. Thanks to all for the kind words about the kit and I look forward to being a part of the N54 progression.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    @Sticky Guest vendor this man ASAP!!!!!!
    SYVECS Standalone l Motiv Port Injection with Fuel It Stage 3 LPFP l MFactory LSD l CFS Racing Radiator l m3 front and rear control arms l ST Coilover System Vargas Stage 2+ Fully Upgraded Turbos l Vargas Inlet System l VRSF DP | VRSF FMIC | Alpina TCM Flash | BMS Trunk Meth l Nitrous Express Dry l Evolution Raceworks Charge Pipe with n20/meth bungs l Vargas HPFP Upgrade v1 l Agency Power Exhaust with n55 mid pipes l Apex AERO-7 Lightweight Wheels l Toyo R888s

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by ChuckD05 Click here to enlarge
    looks awesome.... @fastgti69 you have become a skeptic since you gained vendor status... You're kit will do just fine despite whatever competition hits the table... I would consider yours as #1 on my list if i had a manual car at the moment.... My .02 to you is stay out of other threads questioning other kits to show confidence in your kit. This isn't an announcement from the company just pictures so you do not know if its even released, they could have dynos for all we know or they could not. They may or may not release them when they release the kit.

But just from looking at your kit, your solid numbers came after pictures of your kit were out, which is just what this is. You also had a dyno that was not to impressive released prior. For you to write what you did is a bit ironic because the same could have been said about your kit which was the first of its kind, in your car, with no dyno for a while. Pictures are just that, Pictures.
    Thank you Chuck, I respect your kind words an honesty. I am deeply sorry if I came off that way, I have just always been like that. Even before my vendor status, i would always like details of everything from every angle etc. I will stay quiet and lurk, you are correct my behavior has been sub-par.

One thing I would like to clear up though. First day I got my car, I posted a new thread. It had pictures, 3 logs, and a video hid nothing. Got a dyno a couple days later with Terry, and yes hit a dissapointing 593 but I should have known better. I had logs, videos, and graph posted. Next week after that, drove the car to shift sector and raced. Car did well, and I was loving it. Became a vendor, people were not happy with numbers and kit release. I got clutch and meth kit, redyno'd put videos and logs again with a new graph lol. Get my point? I really never hid anything and posted right when I got info.

Actually, quite the contrary. I have been working on Terrys' car the past two days and the manifold runners are longer. They swoop down, then back up. This is the overlay of my car dyno, and Terrys car dyno same psi. We spool pretty much identical, and I have about 60whp through the rev range. 58mm vs 64mm so now, we want to test and see if it's the hardware or the turbo that is compensating the spool.

Click here to enlarge

much larger with identical spool (well, close enough to) (unless i imagined seeing an overlay lol)

perfectly comparable.. in fact, it's an even better comparison considering the turbo is larger Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge
    Burger Motorsports
    Home of the Worlds fastest N20s, N54s, N55s, S55s, N63s, and S63s!

It is the sole responsibility of the purchaser and installer of any BMS part to employ the correct installation techniques required to ensure the proper operation of BMS parts, and BMS disclaims any and all liability for any part failure due to improper installation or use. It is the sole responsibility of the customer to verify that the use of their vehicle and items purchased comply with federal, state and local regulations. BMS claims no legal federal, state or local certification concerning pollution controlled motor vehicles or mandated emissions requirements. BMS products labeled for use only in competition racing vehicles may only be used on competition racing vehicles operated exclusively on a closed course in conjunction with a sanctioned racing event, in accordance with all federal and state laws, and may never be operated on public roads/highways. Please click here for more information on legal requirements related to use of BMS parts.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    still has a good chance of hitting the steering rack - without looking, the wastegate pipe is the biggest worry with going back (ie closer to the bulk of the rack) and out (again, closer)

can't know until someone actually measures how much room is where though/tries to actually fit something in!

That's the easy part, a new wastegate dump pipe can be reconstructed to clear the rack. The biggest hurdle for all top mount kits have been trying to get the downpipe to clear.

Am definitely going for this when the sale opens!

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by fastgti69 Click here to enlarge
    One thing I would like to clear up though. First day I got my car, I posted a new thread. It had pictures, 3 logs, and a video hid nothing. Got a dyno a couple days later with Terry, and yes hit a dissapointing 593 but I should have known better. I had logs, videos, and graph posted. Next week after that, drove the car to shift sector and raced. Car did well, and I was loving it. Became a vendor, people were not happy with numbers and kit release. I got clutch and meth kit, redyno'd put videos and logs again with a new graph lol. Get my point? I really never hid anything and posted right when I got info.
    You are correct, but the owner of this kit, or the fabricator, or whatever you want to call that person did not make this thread, actually did just respond in this thread stating he wants to share any and all info upon its release so I wouldnt jump the gun and question the depth of information on the kit until all cards are revealed upon release. Click here to enlarge

Your kit looks great though. One question though... has anyone came anywhere near @Terry@BMS 's 5.99 60-130 ??!?!? That is what matters to me!!! Click here to enlarge
    09 6AT 335i Coupe M-Sport - SOLD
    Current - 16 Jeep Wrangler - Few Mods
    Looking for a n54 project e90/e82

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    325 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by cloakedm3 Click here to enlarge
    Click here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlargeClick here to enlarge

kit is installed in the car now here are a couple pics
    1000 times cleaner than a top mount. Just my opinion, not a fan of bling in the engine bay, nor of the extreme of amount of radiant heat you are building up in the engine bay with no real way to escape

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by andy_divers Click here to enlarge
    I dont know who started this thread, but thank you. I have been working on this kit for a long time and am very happy how it turned out. Its only fair that I not post any pricing or purchasing details until I become a vendor. That will happen when the first run of kits are on the shelf and ready to ship. I would however like to post pictures of progress and dynos of the kit in the mean time if @Sticky will allow it. Thanks to all for the kind words about the kit and I look forward to being a part of the N54 progression.
    That'd be me, sorry if I jumped the gun but I thought it was too awesome to not share on here. Been following the updates on FB for a while now, I look forward to seeing more progress pics and dynos!
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by VargasTurboTech Click here to enlarge
    1000 times cleaner than a top mount. Just my opinion, not a fan of bling in the engine bay, nor of the extreme of amount of radiant heat you are building up in the engine bay with no real way to escape
    Question, not a statement, but heat rises so wouldn't a bottom mount produce more heat to the engine and accessories than a top mount? Top mount would great soak the hood more directly than ambient components. Probably flawed logic.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AMERICUS Click here to enlarge
    Question, not a statement, but heat rises so wouldn't a bottom mount produce more heat to the engine and accessories than a top mount? Top mount would great soak the hood more directly than ambient components. Probably flawed logic.
    I'm purely speculating but it looks like there's more open space with a bottom mount along with better existing heat shielding, instead of tucking it up in the upper corner surrounded by plastics. Airflow through the bay looks like it would flow out through the bottom since the hood is more or less sealed.
    Last edited by Snertz; 08-07-2014 at 10:33 AM.
    H O O N

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    Click here to enlarge Originally Posted by AMERICUS Click here to enlarge
    All of the exhaust tubing of the top mount kits radiate heat outward into the engine compartment a because there is so much material there. A well designed bottom mount will allow the exhaust gasses to spool the turbo and then quickly evacuate them.
    Click here to enlarge
    MOTIV750, MOTIV P-1000 PI, MOTIV/FUEL-IT! low pressure fuel system, AEM EMS/COBB AP, Aquamist HFS-3, ETS FMIC, SPEC stage 3+ clutch/SS flywheel, BC Racing coilovers and VMR wheels wrapped in Hankook RS3s.

Rep Points
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

Yes Reputation No
    woot for another kit that retains the oem coolant reservoir location!
    2008 e92 335i

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast